Options

Fighting For GA Is No Different Than Fighting For Yourself

Comments

• Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    WHO CARES?
    These shows/energy dont hold a candle to their older shows with much more active crowds.
    It's a bunch of nerdy fans standing still, raising their arms in the air with $8 beers in one hand and $35 poster tubes in the other.
    :fp: :lol:
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    WHO CARES?
    These shows/energy dont hold a candle to their older shows with much more active crowds.
    It's a bunch of nerdy fans standing still, raising their arms in the air with $8 beers in one hand and $35 poster tubes in the other.

another person who hasn't been to europe....or sudamerica
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    At Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band shows in the U.S. and Canada, the whole floor is typically GA. The front section is "The Pit" and is separated from the rest of the floor by a barrier. Anyone who has a GA ticket has a chance to get in "The Pit" if they show up on time for the drawing of the number that will be the first person in line to go to the GA area. (Before this, every GA person who shows up gets a wristband and a number.) If you want to try for "The Pit" then you show up on time for the drawing. If not, you just go into the GA area whenever you want. I have never gotten into "The Pit" though I've had GA for Bruce on two occasions.
    It would be awesome to be in "The Pit" at a Bruce show but I don't know if I will ever be there.
    In general I prefer GA for club shows compared to arena shows.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    You know what would be great is if they did a two day Pearl Jam Festival type show kinda like the Grateful Dead do, where everyone just camps right there. Two days with Pearl Jam playing at the end both nights and during the day each band members side project bands and friends could play. It would be great. I wonder what locations could hold that many people with parking?
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    You know what would be great is if they did a two day Pearl Jam Festival type show kinda like the Grateful Dead do, where everyone just camps right there. Two days with Pearl Jam playing at the end both nights and during the day each band members side project bands and friends could play. It would be great. I wonder what locations could hold that many people with parking?
    Didn't you just pretty much describe PJ20 Alpine Valley except for... rocking out amongst the tents and sleeping bags?? :think: That sounds weird.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I bet somewhere in Wisconsin would be good.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Didn't you just pretty much describe PJ20 Alpine Valley except for... rocking out amongst the tents and sleeping bags?? :think: That sounds weird.
    That's the whole point. We get to camp right there and Pearl Jams side project bands play. The current side project bands didn't play at Alpine Valley. Glen Hansard to play too.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    edited October 2012
    MedozK wrote:
    I bet somewhere in Wisconsin would be good.
    F@ck that. There's no camping there. Maybe you two slept on the side of the road at Alpine. The rest of us had to drive back and forth from the campgrounds. :lol:
    Post edited by supersonicyears on
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    WHO CARES?

another person who hasn't been to europe....or sudamerica
    Nope, nor do I care about European/S. American shows. I'm commenting about U.S. shows in the past and present.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    WHO CARES?

Laugh, but you know it's true.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    That's the whole point. We get to camp right there and Pearl Jams side project bands play. The current side project bands didn't play at Alpine Valley. Glen Hansard to play too.
    Hey, I'm all for a Pearl Jam weekend!! I don't really want to have a filthy campout in a crowded field with thousands of other people, and then party and enjoy the music in the same gross place though! :lol: Woodstock was a long time ago. :lol: But to each their own. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    WHO CARES?

I wouldn't want to be in a 90s crowd anymore - I grew up.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Hey, I'm all for a Pearl Jam weekend!! I don't really want to have a filthy campout in a crowded field with thousands of other people, and then party and enjoy the music in the same gross place though! :lol: Woodstock was a long time ago. :lol: But to each their own. ;)
    I like camping. It's not that gross. Unless it rains and you forget to zip that top portion of your tent. :problem: :fp:
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    ]
    WHO CARES?
    I wouldn't want to be in a 90s crowd anymore - I grew up.
    Just calling it like it is. A lot of the fans seem more interested in acquiring merchandise to sell/trade than the actual concert itself these days. It's rowdier around the merchandise tents than the show feedback.
    BTW, I'm all for seating. Theres really no reason for the GA anymore. Like I said, its not the same energy/product.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I like camping. It's not that gross. Unless it rains and you forget to zip that top portion of your tent. :problem: :fp:
    I LOVE camping. In the nice, quiet woods or on a peaceful beach, go around and chat to your camping neighbors, retreat to your own campsite when you want ... not in a huge field crowded in with thousands, all stinking up the place, not even able to have campfires, and then having to rock out in between the tents and camping chairs and giant coolers for 10 hours a day. :lol: And god forbid if it rains - I'd be more concerned about the gigantic mud hole that I'm living in than a leaky tent. But again, to each their own! I personally hope PJ never does this, so that I don't have to miss out on a weekend PJ festival! ;) But if they ever go Dead Head on us, have fun! :thumbup:
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    WHO CARES?

Yup.

My opinions still haven't changed. GA is still just an excuse.
  • Options
    Just calling it like it is. A lot of the fans seem more interested in acquiring merchandise to sell/trade than the actual concert itself these days. It's rowdier around the merchandise tents than the show feedback.
    BTW, I'm all for seating. Theres really no reason for the GA anymore. Like I said, its not the same energy/product.

I believe the band still brings the energy and the crowd still feels their music. I truly do. Just zero reason to cram people together when nothing is different from reserved seating except the crowd being more comfortable.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:

Yup.

My opinions still haven't changed. GA is still just an excuse.
    :crazy: :crazy: :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :crazy: :crazy: :lol:

Checking to see if they have changed....

...nope. :lol:
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Hey DS.. GA is great.. get over it.. who wants it most, gets it.. survival of the fittest, Darwin, all that shit..

the truth is that whenever and wherever PJ plays, there isn't bad seat in the house.. They always shrink the room, they alway make you feel like you are right there..

If you feel like you need to be on the rail, catching picks, maybe getting a slug of red wine (Gatorade), having Mike point right at you just to enjoy the show.. Then I feel it is yours to go for..

Having a lower number doesnt make you a bigger fan.,. and never forget, THIS IS A FUCKING ROCK SHOW!!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Assholes and elbows!!!

LONG LIVE GA!!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    Hey DS.. GA is great.. get over it.. who wants it most, gets it.. survival of the fittest, Darwin, all that shit..

the truth is that whenever and wherever PJ plays, there isn't bad seat in the house.. They always shrink the room, they alway make you feel like you are right there..

If you feel like you need to be on the rail, catching picks, maybe getting a slug of red wine (Gatorade), having Mike point right at you just to enjoy the show.. Then I feel it is yours to go for..

Having a lower number doesnt make you a bigger fan.,. and never forget, THIS IS A FUCKING ROCK SHOW!!!!

I take it you haven't been to a GA PJ show in the US in a while. :lol:
  • Options
    Until it gets back to this keep your GA shows. :lol: If it's this then I'm all in. Until then it's just people smushed togeter for no reason doing nothing than what happens with reserved seating. I think I saw a dolphin jump through the air at 53 seconds. :lol:

Pick one head and try to follow it the whole video! Good luck. This is GA at a PJ show ladies and gentlemen the way it should be. Love the mass of people that fall at the 1:20 mark on the left. Thats a rock show with GA!!! :lol: Excuses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl6FunZimGQ
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Until it gets back to this keep your GA shows. :lol: If it's this then I'm all in. Until then it's just people smushed togeter for no reason doing nothing than what happens with reserved seating. I think I saw a dolphin jump through the air at 53 seconds. :lol:

Pick one head and try to follow it the whole video! Good luck. This is GA at a PJ show ladies and gentlemen the way it should be. Love the mass of people that fall at the 1:20 mark on the left. Thats a rock show with GA!!! :lol: Excuses.

:lol::lol: I think it was a sand shark!

I don't know why you guys don't like the ga with camping idea. It's not standing amonst your tents watching. There would be an open field in front of the stage. I'm sure if the band had there other bands playing throughout the day, people would be less likely to be squeezed in like sardines once Pearl Jam goes on. Hopefully a lot of people will get wasted by then pass out and the survival of the fittest and soberist wil go into effect. ;)
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    DS1119 wrote:

I don't know why you guys don't like the ga with camping idea. It's not standing amonst your tents watching. There would be an open field in front of the stage. I'm sure if the band had there other bands playing throughout the day, people would be less likely to be squeezed in like sardines once Pearl Jam goes on. Hopefully a lot of people will get wasted by then pass out and the survival of the fittest and soberist wil go into effect. ;)

Camping at "Lemonwheel" 1996 Phish Loring Air Force Base Limestone, ME

phish.gif

And the venue for "The Great Went" 1997 Phish Loring Air Force Base Limestone, ME

phish1.jpg

And Phish New Years Eve 2000 Big Cypress, FL

c31site.jpg

In all of these 50,000-80,000 person festivals there is a tent/camping area, and an area for the show.

I went to the The Great Went, Oswego, and Big Cypress.

Had a blast. Now I was in my 20's, wasn't married, and didn't have kids.

Now I'm 38 and this idea appeals a little less to me. But it is totally possible.

I think what this whole argument boils down to is really just an understanding of what Pearl Jam's fan base is.

We (the lucky ones) who were in our teens or 20's when Pearl Jam bust onto the scene got to experience Pearl Jam in GA with the crowd surfing, diving, moving in a mosh style all over the pit.

They were appropriate concert etiquette with the appropriate band at the appropriate time. Fuck, Eddie was stage diving, and crowd surfing, and climbing up the rafters.

He doesn't do that anymore. Just as he has evolved and moved passed that frantic teen angst and reckless abandon, so have the bulk of the 30something, 40something, fans.

Now of course if you find yourself to be 18 at the moment, I'm sure you long for those days. But they aint coming back for Pearl Jam concerts.

I was in Europe. There was GA. The crowd was great, but just like DS says, a GA show now a days isn't much different from a seated show.

Everyone rocks out in their spot, be it with or without a chair.

So sure, if you are willing to wait around from 6am to get up front, you are happy with GA. If you want to be uncomfortable for 10 hours, to have an amazing up front show, that is great. Those opportunities will arise.

But most of us don't want to fight against the assholes that push up front, invade our personal space, and pack us in so tight that you can't see shit.

The 90's are over. Sorry you missed it.

They fucking rocked.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,750
    WHO CARES?

That's an interesting outlook and one I can't well argue with because Missoula was my first show. But I have been seen many shows since my first- a Beach Boys concert in Menlo Park in 1963 and base on that history I would say this: the Missoula crowd was very active, I saw almost not one standing still (quite the opposite), nerds make great fans too, who needed beer? just breathe, and the posters- well, that's a good point but they ran out two people in front of me- I guess they were meant to be limited edition items- but I love my Missoula PJ t-shirt and bought my wife one which she enjoys a lot even though she isn't a fan.

Maybe Missoula was an exception these days but it's now one of my all-time favorite shows stacked up with having seen The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, The Who, CSNY, Taj Mahal, Jethro Tull, King Crimson R.E.M., U2, The Clash, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Paul Westerberg, just to name a few other favorite shows amongst many others.

I hope the next show holds up as well- I plan to be there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    DS1119 wrote:

One of my favorite moments with the shark/dolphin. :lol::lol: I really would like to know what that was and who brings that to a concert? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    brianlux wrote:
    WHO CARES?

That's an interesting outlook and one I can't well argue with because Missoula was my first show. But I have been seen many shows since my first- a Beach Boys concert in Menlo Park in 1963 and base on that history I would say this: the Missoula crowd was very active, I saw almost not one standing still (quite the opposite), nerds make great fans too, who needed beer? just breathe, and the posters- well, that's a good point but they ran out two people in front of me- I guess they were meant to be limited edition items- but I love my Missoula PJ t-shirt and bought my wife one which she enjoys a lot even though she isn't a fan.

Maybe Missoula was an exception these days but it's now one of my all-time favorite shows stacked up with having seen The Beach Boys, Buffalo Springfield, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, The Who, CSNY, Taj Mahal, Jethro Tull, King Crimson R.E.M., U2, The Clash, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Paul Westerberg, just to name a few other favorite shows amongst many others.

Off topic, but I'm definitely jealous of your show collection. :thumbup:
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

Missoula is not an exception. :nono: QUite the opposite. The band brings it every time they perform and so does the crowd. My favorite PJ show is Missoula. However my favorite PJ show is always the last one I see. :lol:

I guess just the point of my original post is...well I think my point has been said. :lol: It's just a fight for people who would normally sit in back wanting a chance to sit in the front...and I fully understand that, I'd do the same...it's just stop with the false reasons and be honest and go from there.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    GA has its place in the world.
    Smaller places like the highline, terminal 5, Hammerstein in NYC, and festivals.

But not for arenas and amphitheaters. I like my reserved space just fine. Selfish? Of course.