Options

Is there a reason to have the debates?

know1know1 Posts: 6,761
edited October 2012 in A Moving Train
I'm asking the question seriously.

Is there any real, valid point to them? Do we learn anything about the candidates position from them, or do they just stand to lose supporters by mis-speaking in a high pressure environment?

In this day and age of technology and communication everywhere, who really needs to watch a debate to see where a candidate stands on the issues?

I think they're essentially pointless.
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I do think they can actually be useful as it allows a direct response to a question. Also, if the moderator is any good they will be able to pressure the people to answer the question.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I might watch it but there is a new South Park on tonight (which, sadly, I may learn more from watching)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    While I get your point, I do think it allows the candidates to address the stupid talking points face to face. But really, it will all depend on the moderator how good the debates are.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    people watch tv - what better way for someone on the fence who isn't going to put a ton of effort into decision than to watch the 2 candidates answer questions face to face.
  • Options
    It helps women decide who to vote for.

See Kennedy v Nixon, and every televised debate since...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    :fp:

:corn:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

:lol: I know, I know...

Que the flaming anger rockets...

But if you look at the stats, how the candidate appears on TV can have a huge impact. If it didn't, then these guys wouldn't spend millions of dollars on body language experts who tell them how to hold their hands, wear their ties, etc...

I think women pay more attention to that stuff- maybe if there were female candidates, men would have that reaction- I tried w/ Hillary, but I mean, come on... one can only look at that for so long.
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    Jason P wrote:

But if you look at the stats, how the candidate appears on TV can have a huge impact. If it didn't, then these guys wouldn't spend millions of dollars on body language experts who tell them how to hold their hands, wear their ties, etc...

I think women pay more attention to that stuff- maybe if there were female candidates, men would have that reaction- I tried w/ Hillary, but I mean, come on... one can only look at that for so long.

For someone who mocks the "War on Women," you're not helping your case........
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Jason P wrote:

Are you fucking kidding me? I think if you're going to make the assertion that a candidate's appearance plays a role in how they are perceived by the public then you might want to do a better job of including men in that discussion. While a man might not find another man "attractive" another persons' appearance might be just as important to a man watching the debates. For instance, the Kennedy/Nixon debate, there is evidence that states that many men had admiration for Kennedy based on his physical appearance (read: being able to attract the ladies) and wanted, to a certain degree, to be like him. That's a pretty shallow remark to make in regards to women being the primary culprits in caring about physical appearance.

As as far as men paying attention to that, do you remember Sarah Palin? Seems like quite a few men found her attractive and gave her political credence based on her looks, or at least we could make it seem that way.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Are you fucking kidding me? I think if you're going to make the assertion that a candidate's appearance plays a role in how they are perceived by the public then you might want to do a better job of including men in that discussion. While a man might not find another man "attractive" another persons' appearance might be just as important to a man watching the debates. For instance, the Kennedy/Nixon debate, there is evidence that states that many men had admiration for Kennedy based on his physical appearance (read: being able to attract the ladies) and wanted, to a certain degree, to be like him. That's a pretty shallow remark to make in regards to women being the primary culprits in caring about physical appearance.

As as far as men paying attention to that, do you remember Sarah Palin? Seems like quite a few men found her attractive and gave her political credence based on her looks, or at least we could make it seem that way.

No need to get angry... its a casual observation. Look at all the body language experts that these guys employ. Obama and Romney literally hold meetings on "How to appeal to women, men, different races, etc".

And thank you for provig my point with your Sarah Palin example.

Guys do it too.

So cool your jets...
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:

No need to get angry... its a casual observation. Look at all the body language experts that these guys employ. Obama and Romney literally hold meetings on "How to appeal to women, men, different races, etc".

And thank you for provig my point with your Sarah Palin example.

Guys do it too.

So cool your jets...[/quote]

And I didn't disagree with your point about candidates looks. I disagreed with your point that it was women who were taken in by looks.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    riotgrl wrote:

And I didn't disagree with your point about candidates looks. I disagreed with your point that it was women who were taken in by looks.

I submit exhibit A on behalf of the defense...all 667 pages of it. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5950&hilit=hot
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    in my opinion it's like the last chance time for the candidates to tell the American people their stances on important matters. Sometimes it works sometimes they are irrelevant.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:

I submit exhibit A on behalf of the defense...all 667 pages of it. ;)

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.ph ... &hilit=hot

EDIT: I disagreed with his point that it was ONLY women who were taken in by looks. That could have been an interesting discussion about the continual decline of our political candidates relative merits based on substance rather than style. Care to submit exhibit B, on either side, to discuss that point?

Exhibit B http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2010/10/25/ncbi-rofl-surprise-men-vote-for-the-hotter-female-candidate/

And I disqualify your exhibit because it was related to music and not politics per the OP ;)

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I read an article yesterday that historically the debates have had no impact on elections. The candidates who won, going all the way back to Kennedy-Nixon, were already leading in the polls at the time of the debates.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    I read an article yesterday that historically the debates have had no impact on elections. The candidates who won, going all the way back to Kennedy-Nixon, were already leading in the polls at the time of the debates.

Just as long as Romney doesn't have a baffling Perry moment the election will be *same as it ever was*

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I'm not watching because I refuse to vote for either of these two puppets.
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    unsung wrote:
    I'm not watching because I refuse to vote for either of these two puppets.

i am watching and its over the top wonky right now. "he said", "no i did not", out comes 2 mins of factoids.
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    Mitt is by far winning this debate. He is not stumbling over his words (as Obama is) he has facts and he has the numbers to back up what he says. Obama has no true facts and seems to be losing the only thing he had going for him, his silver tongue smooth talking ways . Just look at the frown on his face...he knows he is no match to Mitts intelligence :) .
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,470
    aerial wrote:
    Mitt is by far winning this debate. He is not stumbling over his words (as Obama is) he has facts and he has the numbers to back up what he says. Obama has no true facts and seems to be losing the only thing he had going for him, his silver tongue smooth talking ways . Just look at the frown on his face...he knows he is no match to Mitts intelligence :) .

That's how Obama speaks
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Jim Lehrer is not moderating this very well. He keeps letting Romney get the last word even when he had his turn
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    romney won this debate hands down
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
    Fort Worth, Night 1 September 2023
    Fort Worth, Night 2 September 2023
    Austin, Night 1 September 2023
    Austin, Night 2 September 2023
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hey, idman :wave:

Yeah, Jim didn't seem necessarily overwhelmed, but not presiding over this as it seemed he wanted to be, as he has in the past.

For me, some good insight into both men.

Can't wait to see the analyses of the body language hoopla that I'm sure shall ensue.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    A) I can't wait for fact check....

B) It's hard to debate a liar.....

C) I don't want a voucher system for Medicaid....
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    inmytree wrote:

Do you really need fact check?
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    inmytree wrote:
    That's one of the comments my guy and I bet would be made here.

I won :P
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    Hey, idman :wave:

Yeah, Jim didn't seem necessarily overwhelmed, but not presiding over this as it seemed he wanted to be, as he has in the past.

For me, some good insight into both men.

Can't wait to see the analyses of the body language hoopla that I'm sure shall ensue.

me? IH
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    This.
    inmytree wrote:

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    inmytree wrote:

This can't be bumped enough. BUT, Obama should have pounced on him. He left far too many openings pass him by.

Romney took the Chris Christie approach: be a blowhard and forget about substance and facts.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    aerial wrote:
    inmytree wrote:

Do you really need fact check?

I don't, but you do....

I know Mittens fibbed about his tax plan...do you...?