Options

At what age should kids have cell phones?

2»

Comments

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    All I can say is thank Christ they didn't have that when I was a teenager. I don't even know how I would manage to function socially if I HAD to be honest about where I was going. I was NEVER where I was supposed to be. My parents actually thought I saw the movie Ransom 5-6 times, to this day I still haven't seen that movie.

That's the thing with 'kids'. Saying you're going one place and really doing something else. I guess that could be the whole purpose of the GPS thing - not to spy but to 'find', just in case. Say you were supposed to see Ransom at Cinema X and you went missing. Without GPS, parents think you were there and therefore search/try to retrace steps from info given. But instead of Ransom, you were at some rave in the middle of nowhere... without GPS, parents have no hope in hell locating you quickly if something had happened. With GPS, they can.

That's the safety thing I could go with. But the rest (spying?) just feels weird...
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    redrock wrote:
    All I can say is thank Christ they didn't have that when I was a teenager. I don't even know how I would manage to function socially if I HAD to be honest about where I was going. I was NEVER where I was supposed to be. My parents actually thought I saw the movie Ransom 5-6 times, to this day I still haven't seen that movie.

That's the thing with 'kids'. Saying you're going one place and really doing something else. I guess that could be the whole purpose of the GPS thing - not to spy but to 'find', just in case. Say you were supposed to see Ransom at Cinema X and you went missing. Without GPS, parents think you were there and therefore search/try to retrace steps from info given. But instead of Ransom, you were at some rave in the middle of nowhere... without GPS, parents have no hope in hell locating you quickly if something had happened. With GPS, they can.

That's the safety thing I could go with. But the rest (spying?) just feels weird...

Yeah, I get that, I wasn't really going into the merits of the GPS or the moral implications. I was just saying that I'm personally glad they didn't have GPS on me as a teen.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ....I was just saying that I'm personally glad they didn't have GPS on me as a teen.

I'm glad mobile phones weren't around when I was a teen! Whilst my daughter understands potential safety merits of GPS, she would rather not have her phone than be 'subjected' to that (so she says).
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    I'm kind of old school when it comes to matters like this, but I think kids shouldn't have a cell phone plan until they can afford it themselves. I think it's a good idea to give them a cheap ass cell for calling 911 and home on (you can get them phones that won't do anything except that). That's it until they can pay for their own texting and gabbing and surfing. And even then, until they're out of high school, I would monitor their usage to make sure they weren't spending every waking hour just texting and tweeting, including in class. As far as I can tell, cell phones are capable of really limiting kids' experiences during their dvelopmental years. Not to mention all the sexting crap. It's terrible for their fucking writing skills too. Parents should be a LOT more concerned and diligent when it comes to their kids' smartphone use, IMHO.... ie, they shouldn't have them. They need to learn computer skills and everything, but that's a totly separate issue, and if they do that, they will be able to use a smartphone when they can pay for their plan no problem.

Kids need to go back to learning how to entertain themselves without smart phones and iPads. These days they are constantly monitored and constantly being fed something to do, and constant plugged in. I wish parents would just go back to letting their kids use their imaginations and energy to make their own entertainment. I can't believe how focused everyone is on keeping their kids occupied (generalizing of course). It's crazy for the kids' as well as the parents' lifestyles.

As for GPS tracking... I think it's great for little kids. I wouldn't even balk at the side of a temporary tracking implant or something. But I think it should be illegal to track a kid like that after the age of, say, 13. Total violation of their sense of freedom and a hinderancw to the development of their sense of independence.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    End of 8th grade/beginning of 9th if I have children
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Looks like NPR's been reading my mind.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2012/10/0 ... nd-anxiety
  • Options
    stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    I dont think anyone should have a cell phone until the realize "reality" tv sucks.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Along with social media, it's causing dramas for parents, especially my sister.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651

Yes - social media - that's another one!
  • Options
    _ wrote:

Yes - social media - that's another one!
    No shit. Many full grown adults can't handle social media without somehow fucking up their lives or someone else's (one of the top 3 causes of divorce now btw!!). I can't go a day withoutbhearing about someone whk did skme stupid shit on social media and got fired/arrested/busted/humiliated/scammed, and that's grown ups. So kids and teens certainly shouldn't be using it, considering their even more intense lack of judgement!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    *in my old person voice*

"Back in my day kids didn't have cell phones and we got along just fine without them"
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    *in my old person voice*

"Back in my day kids didn't have cell phones and we got along just fine without them"
    Yeah... but thank God I have one as a grown up. :lol: I'd be lost without it! Especially now that pay phones are rare..... I've rethought my position. A kid without a cell phone to make calls on would be placed at a disadvantage. So I think just a cell PHONE, that can make and receive calls would be okay at 11 or 12 (with a limited amount of talk minutes). But no texting or internet access/smartphone allowed.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    My parents actually thought I saw the movie Ransom 5-6 times, to this day I still haven't seen that movie.

You didn't miss much. :lol:
  • Options
    Just an FYI. If a parent is concerned just about a child's safety you can give them your old phone even deactivated. It will have the ability to call 911.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Just an FYI. If a parent is concerned just about a child's safety you can give them your old phone even deactivated. It will have the ability to call 911.
    Good to know... does it still have to have a SIM card in it?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I just googled it appears you can. I just read a little that it looks like it's a law in the US that all cellphones have to have emergency services at all times no matter if the phone is active or not. Good law. If anything else a child calls 911 they can get help or at least narrow down their location if it came to that by using the cell tower location.

Not a bad alternative for child safety if a parent doesn't want to give them a full fledged cell phone yet.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I just googled it appears you can. I just read a little that it looks like it's a law in the US that all cellphones have to have emergency services at all times no matter if the phone is active or not. Good law. If anything else a child calls 911 they can get help or at least narrow down their location if it came to that by using the cell tower location.

Not a bad alternative for child safety if a parent doesn't want to give them a full fledged cell phone yet.
    Thanks for the the info!
  • Options
    A child under the age of 16
    has no need for a cell phone-
    I'm sure there are exceptions to that statement.

My experience is that teenagers want things strictly
    on the basis that their friends have it,
    and therefore it MUST BE HAD!

Think back-
    what was the must-have accessory when
    YOU were in middle school?
    'Cause everybody wants what they can't have.
    Cellphones are the new... I dunno... Hypercolor shirts!

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    when they can buy and pay for their own phone.

My sister in law refuses to buy her kids a cell phone, they said they 'needed one' to text their friends...so she got them a Kindle. Free texting and all the games they want to play on free Wi-Fi. The kids are 12 and 14 (or something around that age)

Quit spoiling kids and make them earn the shit they want, then they are more likely to take care of their things, not lose them and learn the value of money.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    A child under the age of 16
    has no need for a cell phone-
    I'm sure there are exceptions to that statement.

My experience is that teenagers want things strictly
    on the basis that their friends have it,
    and therefore it MUST BE HAD!

Think back-
    what was the must-have accessory when
    YOU were in middle school?
    'Cause everybody wants what they can't have.
    Cellphones are the new... I dunno... Hypercolor shirts!

Cheers.

YES !!!!! I wish I never and repeat NEVER gave my daughter a cell phone... she got one at the beginning of 7th grade and is completly attached to the stuped thing.

Thank goodness she is a straight A student because I would love to throw the damn phone in the garbage.

The school will take away a child phone if used in during school hours and if the child has any after school activities and needs to get ahold of the parents - THE SCHOOL WILL CONTACT YOU.

Funny how (we all went to school without phones ) and did just fine...

My daughter wanted a phone because ( all her friends ) had one since 4th grade, I held out and made her wait till 7th grade. All I can say is she uses the phone to TXT her friends regarding kid stuff. Nothing more.
    ********************************************************************************************* image