Look after yourselves ladies

2»

Comments

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Loulou wrote:
    I don't mean to upset anyone, I don't like to argue. Your right, she should have been safe going home, it shouldn't have happened to her and certainly shouldn't have been wrong for her to think she was capable of doing so. Hell, I know I walked home a thousand times alone from work. I do also believe that more should be done to instill that violence against women is fucked up.
    I remember back to when I was younger though and I sometimes thought I was invincible and without going into the details, I truly regret some decisions.
    Monsters like that son of a bitch sometimes seek certain opportunities, it's sad and fucked up but it's true and no matter how much education is given, some sick pathetic arsewipes are always going to do it.

lets call it discussing, not arguing. ;)
    Agreed, :)
    I can see that it may come across condescending when someone says be aware but all I was really trying to put across was that it came from a positive place from the OP. I guess I remember being a little run amok when I was young and biggest piece of advice for myself back then would have been "knock yourself out but don't think your invincible". But I guess I was a little crazier than normal. :? :lol: (not to say Jill did anything stupid, she didn't ) Yet my advice will stay the same for my daughter.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    How about instead of - or in addition to - telling women to watch out for themselves &/or telling men to not be monsters, we tell society to do something about the problem - or at least make a greater effort to be understanding - on a more systemic level?

For instance, I don't generally see institutions like the public transportation systems acknowledging women's safety issues. Granted, we don't have too much public transportation here. But the systems we do have are always saying everyone should, say, ride the bus, but never acknowledging that many women don't ride the bus because walking home from the bus stop at night is not safe. Or, cops come and bust up parties & kick everyone out, but don't stop to think about how that often puts people in unsafe situations. Or, the main roads downtown are blocked on the weekends, supposedly to deter traffic, but that means when I'm meeting people downtown I have to park blocks away on some less-traveled, less safe side street & walk down dark alleys alone instead of just parking right in front of the venue like I used to before they started blocking the streets.

Those aren't necessarily the best examples. But I'd just like to see society step up as a whole & recognize this as a social problem, not just an individual one, and then take responsibility to all look out for each other in a more organized way. (Of course, I'd like to see us take more social responsibility on a lot of other issues too.)
  • I fully support this. Many years ago I had a girlfriend who went to a party with some friends from work. They told her that she couldn't bring me along. Should have been a tip-off. Roofies and booze later, things were not well. I have never been a controlling person, but I still wish I would have been more assertive about her not going. It didn't feel right to me at the time. Hearing about it later is still one of the most heart wrenching conversations I have ever had!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    this is the kind of disrespectful behaviour my first post was addressing:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6486166776

THE boss of the ARL Commission John Grant is expecting a report from the Bulldogs explaining their atrocious Mad Monday behaviour.

The NRL runners-up are embroiled in fresh controversy, with unnamed players or officials hurling sexist slurs at female TV reporters yesterday.

Grant emphasised the seriousness of the situation at this morning's press conference to name the Kangaroos.

"Based on what I've heard, it's a serious issue and will be treated seriously," Grant said.

He added that the Bulldogs have been asked to issue a report to the Commission on what happened.

As the Bulldogs players held their traditional Mad Monday at Belmore Sports Ground yesterday, the current crop gave the media a reminder of the Dirty Dogs of old.

Through a barely opened window, the partying Bulldogs maintained their anonymity, but not their dignity, as they abused the assembled media.

The ugly comments, which were aired on Channel 9 last night, included:

"THERE are some ladies here to stick their heads in your pants";

"S. .K me off you dumb dog"; and

"I WANNA go and punch you in the face."

Another sour note was a foul-mouthed spray towards the media by the club's gear steward Fred Ciraldo. The players also urinated on Belmore Sports Ground in full view of the assembled media.

It is understood the two incidents are being investigated by club management.

The players' behaviour infuriated Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg, who has been instrumental in turning around the culture of a club that a few years ago had the lowest reputation in the game.

"I spoke with the journalist today and apologised on behalf of the club. That's not how we do business. Will follow up internally!!" he tweeted.

Yesterday's antics were the latest petulance from the Bulldogs players and officials, who closed their dressing rooms to the media after Sunday night's 14-4 loss to Melbourne - a breach of NRL regulations with a heavy fine likely.

Yesterday the players donned cartoon outfits to celebrate the end of their season. Michael Ennis dressed as a Mario Bros, Josh Morris as Barney and a shirtless Sam Kasiano as a Ghostbuster.

Canterbury placed a security guard on the front gate of Belmore Sports Ground.

Several senior players were happy to talk to the media. Club captain Ennis said: "It (the result) is disappointing but part of me is so proud."

The Bulldogs' display was in stark contrast to that of AFL champions the Sydney Swans, who behaved with dignity and courtesy when dealing with the media yesterday.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Well don't they sound lovely! :?
    Looks like some of those guys are lucky they were good at sport and didn't have to get a real job where they had to use their brains. :fp:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I do not condone what they said... Absolutely stupid...

However, what I also do not condone was the measures that the media went to to try and get footage of a closed off Mad Monday... Putting cameras above the fence, putting cameras through holes in the fences.Training a camera on an open window (where naughty boy was smoking).

Mad Monday is where a team gets drunk and let loose. The Bulldogs tried to close it off because there are some not guys who are not the sharpest tool in the shed. And the media where trying to get shots of a private affair.

Now whoever said those things are fuckin stupid. And the Bulldogs have tried so hard (and with great success) to clean up their image... Unfortunately, drunk stupid guys are bound to do stupid things.. Remember SOuths a few years back with Fa'longo and Jason Taylor...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    Oh and helicopters
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Wow what a bunch of pigs.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I do not condone what they said... Absolutely stupid...

However, what I also do not condone was the measures that the media went to to try and get footage of a closed off Mad Monday... Putting cameras above the fence, putting cameras through holes in the fences.Training a camera on an open window (where naughty boy was smoking).

Mad Monday is where a team gets drunk and let loose. The Bulldogs tried to close it off because there are some not guys who are not the sharpest tool in the shed. And the media where trying to get shots of a private affair.

Now whoever said those things are fuckin stupid. And the Bulldogs have tried so hard (and with great success) to clean up their image... Unfortunately, drunk stupid guys are bound to do stupid things.. Remember SOuths a few years back with Fa'longo and Jason Taylor...

how is 1 idiot 'jokingly' punching another guy in the gut and being punched backed cause the receiver didnt 'get the joke' comparable to sexist slurs?

please dont think im just ragging on the doggies. this incident was a gift in its timing. i wouldve posted the story regardless of the team involved.

you say you dont condone what was said but then you say it was suppose to be a 'private affair' as if the media was deserving of anything said merely due to its presence. they just lost the grand final.. how private do you think it was ever gonna be?? weeks ago i saw nathan hindmarsh handle the press with aplomb during parra's mad monday celebrations. he had the wherewithall to admit he couldnt really answer press questions cause he had been drinking. but as i said the behaviour of some of the doggies was a gift in its timing...and if it was just biffo between drunken players and/or coaching staff i wouldnt have bothered sharing it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    How is it comparable? easy...

Both were Mad Monday.. Both were drunk... Both did stupid things...

Now where it doesn't compare...

Taylor 'jokingly' punches Fa'longo in the stomach... Fa'longo punches Taylor in the face knocking him to the ground and causing facial lacerations..

Physical violence is much worse...

Every other teams Mad Monday was private... aside from walking into a venue... And Michael Ennis fronted up to the cameras before proceedings started. They don't deserve to have cameras trying to do the sneaky look though holes in the fence, put the camera over the fence, have a helicopter fly over the venue.

Who ever said it, was stupid. But we all know a lot of footballers are stupid... This is why clubs try and make it a private affair... It's the one day a year clubs let the players get shit faced without repercussions... Now if the cameras had not been trying to invade their privacy, then there would have been no dramas... Unlike the Souths one ;)
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    How is it comparable? easy...

Both were Mad Monday.. Both were drunk... Both did stupid things...

Now where it doesn't compare...

Taylor 'jokingly' punches Fa'longo in the stomach... Fa'longo punches Taylor in the face knocking him to the ground and causing facial lacerations..

Physical violence is much worse...

Every other teams Mad Monday was private... aside from walking into a venue... And Michael Ennis fronted up to the cameras before proceedings started. They don't deserve to have cameras trying to do the sneaky look though holes in the fence, put the camera over the fence, have a helicopter fly over the venue.

Who ever said it, was stupid. But we all know a lot of footballers are stupid... This is why clubs try and make it a private affair... It's the one day a year clubs let the players get shit faced without repercussions... Now if the cameras had not been trying to invade their privacy, then there would have been no dramas... Unlike the Souths one ;)

physical violence is much worse than sexist slurs???

the taylor/fa'alago incident wasnt someone randomly beating up on someone else. its someone misjudging a situation(and lets face it taylor isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer) acting and then reaping 'the benefits' because of that. sure fa'alago couldve just walked away but who knows the history between these two. i certainly dont. this couldve been just one too many joking incidents from taylor towards his player or perhaps fa'alago has no sense of humour.

you hit me jokingly apparently i hit you cause im not seeing the joke you end up on the ground with a split lip. seems much a do about nothing to me. perhaps next time youll think before jokingly hitting someone else.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Of course physical violence is worse than sexist slurs... Doesn't make them right...

Do you not see a problem with the way in which the media conducted themselves on Monday? Are you happy with the lengths that the media went to to make a private affair public?
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Of course physical violence is worse than sexist slurs... Doesn't make them right...

Do you not see a problem with the way in which the media conducted themselves on Monday? Are you happy with the lengths that the media went to to make a private affair public?

perhaps a better example couldve been used cause i see no correlaton between the taylor/fa'alago incident and the sexual slurs thrown by unidentified bulldogs.

a private affair?? perhaps an open air sporting ground where line of sight filming is possible isnt the best place for a private affair. the players knew the media was there. you yourself pointed out that bulldogs captain michael ennis spoke with them so might i suggest the club shouldve looked after their players better knowing how mad mondays can get out of hand and knowing that the media was present. the media were doing their job. reporting on the mad monday antics of a football club. the doggies getting all petulant and closing off access like they did to their dressing room after the GF loss not gonna stop reporters doing their job. did you think the media would just pack it up and slink home with no story??? the doggies are a grand final team. of course we want to see them in ridiculous outfits on mad monday. if players cant behave themselves for the short finite time the cameras and reporters are there then perhaps they need to find another line of work. i understand why youre pissed off.. if it was my team id be pissed off too. but my anger would be aimed where it was due.. at the players involved. if in fact it was players that were involved. that hasnt been estabilshed yet thanks to the cowardice of those involved.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Being drunk and doing stupid things is one thing. But they could have just cursed at the media. Why did it have to be sexist slurs? To me, that's a significant difference that is relevant to the social problem of violence against women.
    Get a venn diagram... Of course you'll be able to see comparisons... Blind Freddy could see.. The incident weren't the same.. The drinking, the mad Monday and stupid footballers all in common....

Perhaps mad Mondays need to be looked at?

The bulldogs went to measures to make it private... The media went to measures to obtain pictures...

No point debating... We both know what the bulldogs did was wrong but where our opinions differ is how the media went around it...

I can't agree with cameras going over fences, through holes in fences... Helicopter flying over the ground.. To get pictures... And as you say it's the medias job... Perhaps we need to revisit what their job is... Trying to invade people's privacy I feel is wrong... Look at Kate Middleton, princess Diana. Long bow comparing Sam kasiano with lady Diana. But I think the whole situation stinks...

And I am surprised that i am The only one who feels this way... Perhaps it's the way society is heading...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Get a venn diagram... Of course you'll be able to see comparisons... Blind Freddy could see.. The incident weren't the same.. The drinking, the mad Monday and stupid footballers all in common....

Perhaps mad Mondays need to be looked at?

The bulldogs went to measures to make it private... The media went to measures to obtain pictures...

No point debating... We both know what the bulldogs did was wrong but where our opinions differ is how the media went around it...

I can't agree with cameras going over fences, through holes in fences... Helicopter flying over the ground.. To get pictures... And as you say it's the medias job... Perhaps we need to revisit what their job is... Trying to invade people's privacy I feel is wrong... Look at Kate Middleton, princess Diana. Long bow comparing Sam kasiano with lady Diana. But I think the whole situation stinks...

And I am surprised that i am The only one who feels this way... Perhaps it's the way society is heading...

you think it stinks cause its your team involved. perhaps your judgement is clouded just a little?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Not at all...

I've already said that what they said was stupid and I don't condone... It seems like this has been the centre of our debate... I am not debating that...

I've already (maybe not on here) had a go at James Graham... I just don't see in general when it is alright for private space to be taken up and made public... I know this will fall on deaf ears... or cause this a written forum blind eyes... but look what happened with Kate Middleton the other week... They're in the public eye and the press want to know everything about them... but that photographer went to extra lengths to get their images... and channel 9 went to extra lengths to get their images...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Not at all...

I've already said that what they said was stupid and I don't condone... It seems like this has been the centre of our debate... I am not debating that...

I've already (maybe not on here) had a go at James Graham... I just don't see in general when it is alright for private space to be taken up and made public... I know this will fall on deaf ears... or cause this a written forum blind eyes... but look what happened with Kate Middleton the other week... They're in the public eye and the press want to know everything about them... but that photographer went to extra lengths to get their images... and channel 9 went to extra lengths to get their images...

i know we agree on the stupidity of what was said. where we disagree is public vs private. im saying im not sure the bulldogs could expect any privacy on what is the 3rd biggest news worthy day of the footy year(not counting state of origin) and i use the term news worthy very very lightly. sure i dont recall seeing what souths got up to on their mad monday.. nor any other team for that matter other than parra. but that doesnt mean the clubs should drop their guard. in the doggies case, they knew the media was about. what happened to kate middleton was different. that photographer was supposedly on a public road a kilometere away. thats just fucking creepy shit. but i guess were talking degrees here.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    The photographer was on a public road...

The helicopter was in public flying space (is that what it's called?), the media were on the street too as the gates were closed..

It was interesting on an AFL 360, Mark RObinson asked Bob Murphy in the light of John McCarthy's death, if the scrutiny on players (local media and public) forced clubs to go on end of season trips overseas and take mad Mondays overseas had contributed to his death.

Murphy disagreed, but his hesitation in answering that question was obvious... And the look on his face was almost as if 'hey that's a great point'

Now, you can bet your bottom dollar the dogs won't make this mistake again... Todd Greenburg is way too good of an operator... It would be sad to see similar incidents to John McCarthy... Cause lets face it, a lot of footballers aren't the most intelligent lot. And when they're on the sauce, they do stupid things...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    The photographer was on a public road...

The helicopter was in public flying space (is that what it's called?), the media were on the street too as the gates were closed..

It was interesting on an AFL 360, Mark RObinson asked Bob Murphy in the light of John McCarthy's death, if the scrutiny on players (local media and public) forced clubs to go on end of season trips overseas and take mad Mondays overseas had contributed to his death.

Murphy disagreed, but his hesitation in answering that question was obvious... And the look on his face was almost as if 'hey that's a great point'

Now, you can bet your bottom dollar the dogs won't make this mistake again... Todd Greenburg is way too good of an operator... It would be sad to see similar incidents to John McCarthy... Cause lets face it, a lot of footballers aren't the most intelligent lot. And when they're on the sauce, they do stupid things...

that john mccarthy incident was just sad. but as sad as his death was, if john wasnt as drunk as he was, hed still be alive.

my personal opinion is if players want to get drunk and involve themselves in horseplay then go right ahead but please dont do stupid shit that involves non team people... dont do criminal shit. and dont use being drunk as an excuse when youre caught.

i had to laugh when towards the end of the season michael crocker said giving up ice cream was harder than giving up booze.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say