Panic Attacks

2»

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I suffered from panic attacks even before I knew what they were! I'd start sweating profusely in various situations. It would sometimes happen in social situations, as well as business situations.

My shrink prescribed Xanax to use as needed, but when I changed doctors, the new one put me on Klonopin...works like a charm...helps prevent anxiety, and the related panic attacks. I take it nightly, as opposed to taking xanax as a reactionary response to anxiety/panic attacks.

http://www.drugs.com/klonopin.html
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mca47 wrote:
    As a frequent flyer it's pretty amazing to see how many people have them. On the plane, in airports...really the whole traveling experience seems to trigger them.
    Sat next to this guy in the spring coming back to Phoenix from New York. I could tell from the get-go he was having problems. He was center seat too! We were chatting a bit before we took off and he told me that he gets them all the time and he was currently "about to melt down". I thought "Why do I always have to sit by these people?" :lol: Drink lady comes by and the guy says to me "do you drink?" I'm like "Yeah". I wasn't planning on drinking as I had a ton of work to do. He goes "I have to have some drinks and I don't drink alone...I'm buying". I think we probably had like 6-7 drinks! :lol: It helped for a while. We're over New Mexico and it starts getting really turbulent (common in the southwest for that time of year). He almost lost it!

A month or so ago I was flying from Vegas back to Phoenix and I literally had to hold a girl down and calm her down because she was losing it. She was cute, otherwise I wouldn't have! :lol:

I don't get them but I see the people that do and it looks rough!!

It is rough and flying over New Mexico is the work of the devil! :twisted: :lol: :fp: What made it worse yesterday was becasue the flight was so rough the flight attendants weren't serving drinks so I didn't even have that. There was a point...and I'm being God's honest here...when I contemplated pulling the whole crazy card thing and just acting out where they either landed or tranquilized me. :fp:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I suffered from panic attacks even before I knew what they were! I'd start sweating profusely in various situations. It would sometimes happen in social situations, as well as business situations.

My shrink prescribed Xanax to use as needed, but when I changed doctors, the new one put me on Klonopin...works like a charm...helps prevent anxiety, and the related panic attacks. I take it nightly, as opposed to taking xanax as a reactionary response to anxiety/panic attacks.

Just another reason I need to see a doctor. Thanks for the info.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    DS1119 wrote:
    Thanks for the great advice. As far as the iPod question...it just didn't work. I had my earphones on and the guy just wouldn't stop talking. I guess I should have been rude to him but I'm actually not good at doing that. Only here and at work I can be rude. :lol:
    I usually put the earphones in, pull my hood up, and close my eyes. But that's me...I am just naturally anti-social.
    ELITIST FUK
  • DS1119 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Just another reason I need to see a doctor. Thanks for the info.

One note on the Klonopin, if you go that route -- be careful with drinking if you are on it. It is a 'benzo' and as such is not a good one to mix with booze. (Or at least with lots of booze, as I know from past posts that you enjoy a few + a few more when getting after it.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I had panic attacks - got them right after I got engaged and they went away (mostly) the day after the wedding. I went to a therapist, didn't go the drug route back then, did more talking about it and confronting places where they'd occur - movie theatres, restaurants. And it worked.

With anxiety issues, I have Xanax. But most of the time (flying, for example) just knowing I have it and can take it if I need to, that's enough.

PS: I'm still married.
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Anyone here get them and have any advice? I had one tonight that was so bad I actually question my sanity.

Had a few in my life.
    Not the best feeling, slow deep breaths help.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Not the best situation but I'm making the best of it. Got kind of shit faced last night. Maybe two hours of sleep and I'm having a few before todays flight so I'm already kind of hammered. It's only 2 hours to MT so I should be fine. If I see Cornell get on that plane though I will wig out. :fp:
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    did you find out why your nose bled? it may have been from the dry air on the plane.
    and for joex3, how long will you stay on Klonopin? the link you gave said it's temporary.
    you goobers do understand that YOU CANNOT drink alot on these drugs like klonopin? also it stays in your body a long time, so you might be able to take it less than other drugs. don't drink white grapefruit juice, it'll sensationalize the klonopin's effectiveness. I think it makes it 3x stronger....be careful, please read the directions and talk to your pharmacist. you would be suprised at drug interactions. I used to take Xanax. Coffee is intensified by the xanax. The label on the bottle doesn't tell you that. So I would take Xanax to calm down and it was making the caffeine in me more jumpy!

DS1119 wrote:
    Here's what happened tonight. I'll lay it out. If I fly with someone I know...friend, date whatever...I'm 100% fine. If I travel alone I'm 100% certifiable. I flew today alone to Phoenix. The guy sitting next to me was 6"5" (yes he mentioned his height) and just wouldn't shut up. I don't like being crowded and I really don't like talking to strangers especially on a plane. Two things he was doing for 4.5 hours. The flight was very turbelant which I have gotten used to flying west but it was very bad tonight (or at least in my head it was). They wouldn't turn off the seatbelt light and I had to piss so bad I literally thought at one point I was going to piss myself. FLight lands and it takes FOREVER for the plane to unload. I kept checking my phone and it was exactly 27 minutes for me to get off the plane. I get off the plane and I have the sweats...tight chest...felt like I couldn't breath...the whole shit. Now for the icing on the cake. I also at times get attacks on highways...especially highways I'm not 100% sure of where I am. I get my rental car and punch the address of my hotel into the Nav. 7.2 miles away and all highway (I've been on that highway 100's of times and have even stayed at that hotel four or five times before). I was already a nervous wreck and just the thought of jumping on that 10 lane highway set me into another attack. Mind was racing. Hands were all sweaty and turned bright red. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. As I'm pulling out of the parking garage I puke. Not just a queezy stomach I mean a full on puke. I also got a bloody nose during the puke session (this is a new wrinkle that just happened tonight). It was so bad that I reprogrammed the nav to avoid highways. It took me about 30 minutes to go 7 miles instead of about ten. I had to stop at the first bar I passed just to grab three beers just to chill the fuck out on the drive to the hotel. The whole drive to the hotel all I kept thinking about was how I have to do this 3 more times. From here I am flying to Montana. From there I'm flying to Vegas. From there I'm flying back to Smalbany. I really think I may have a heart attack or be committed by the time this trip is over. :fp:
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • For those of you on medication like Xanax, do you experience any side-effects?
    I've had an anxiety problem for pretty much my whole life, never been on meds, worried about the side-effects reported.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    iluvcats wrote:
    did you find out why your nose bled? it may have been from the dry air on the plane.
    and for joex3, how long will you stay on Klonopin? the link you gave said it's temporary.
    you goobers do understand that YOU CANNOT drink alot on these drugs like klonopin? also it stays in your body a long time, so you might be able to take it less than other drugs. don't drink white grapefruit juice, it'll sensationalize the klonopin's effectiveness. I think it makes it 3x stronger....be careful, please read the directions and talk to your pharmacist. you would be suprised at drug interactions. I used to take Xanax. Coffee is intensified by the xanax. The label on the bottle doesn't tell you that. So I would take Xanax to calm down and it was making the caffeine in me more jumpy!

DS1119 wrote:
    Here's what happened tonight. I'll lay it out. If I fly with someone I know...friend, date whatever...I'm 100% fine. If I travel alone I'm 100% certifiable. I flew today alone to Phoenix. The guy sitting next to me was 6"5" (yes he mentioned his height) and just wouldn't shut up. I don't like being crowded and I really don't like talking to strangers especially on a plane. Two things he was doing for 4.5 hours. The flight was very turbelant which I have gotten used to flying west but it was very bad tonight (or at least in my head it was). They wouldn't turn off the seatbelt light and I had to piss so bad I literally thought at one point I was going to piss myself. FLight lands and it takes FOREVER for the plane to unload. I kept checking my phone and it was exactly 27 minutes for me to get off the plane. I get off the plane and I have the sweats...tight chest...felt like I couldn't breath...the whole shit. Now for the icing on the cake. I also at times get attacks on highways...especially highways I'm not 100% sure of where I am. I get my rental car and punch the address of my hotel into the Nav. 7.2 miles away and all highway (I've been on that highway 100's of times and have even stayed at that hotel four or five times before). I was already a nervous wreck and just the thought of jumping on that 10 lane highway set me into another attack. Mind was racing. Hands were all sweaty and turned bright red. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. As I'm pulling out of the parking garage I puke. Not just a queezy stomach I mean a full on puke. I also got a bloody nose during the puke session (this is a new wrinkle that just happened tonight). It was so bad that I reprogrammed the nav to avoid highways. It took me about 30 minutes to go 7 miles instead of about ten. I had to stop at the first bar I passed just to grab three beers just to chill the fuck out on the drive to the hotel. The whole drive to the hotel all I kept thinking about was how I have to do this 3 more times. From here I am flying to Montana. From there I'm flying to Vegas. From there I'm flying back to Smalbany. I really think I may have a heart attack or be committed by the time this trip is over. :fp:

No real timetable has been discussed for the Klonopin. The past 18 months have been 10x as difficult as any prior periods in my life, so for now, I am just doing what I gotta do to keep my sanity! Eventually, I will reconsider my meds.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    For those of you on medication like Xanax, do you experience any side-effects?
    I've had an anxiety problem for pretty much my whole life, never been on meds, worried about the side-effects reported.
    Yes, Xanax can cause unpleasant bathroom side effects, as long as you don't eat alot of chocolate or junk food, you may be ok. The alternative is one of those SSRI(?) drugs that take 3-6 wks to take effect. It makes one feel normal instead of anxious not sedated, but can cause insomnia, and it can take a while to get the correct dosage. Prozac is a really old drug for both depressant and or anxiety. It can cause muscle tics in some people and more bathroom issues. However, it can really make one feel a ton better (and so can switching jobs and getting away from the @$$holes that caused one to have to go on the drugs in the first place.) If I quit taking my multi vitamins, within 3-4 days, I feel a difference. I think they help my anxiety.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • DS1119 wrote:
    holy shit man...you really should have stopped here to pick me up :P I would have done my best to keep you sane.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    DS1119 wrote:
    holy shit man...you really should have stopped here to pick me up :P I would have done my best to keep you sane.

:fp:
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Enkidu wrote:
    I had panic attacks - got them right after I got engaged and they went away (mostly) the day after the wedding. I went to a therapist, didn't go the drug route back then, did more talking about it and confronting places where they'd occur - movie theatres, restaurants. And it worked.

With anxiety issues, I have Xanax. But most of the time (flying, for example) just knowing I have it and can take it if I need to, that's enough.

This is the best way to go as I highly recommend staying away from any antipsychotics; they all have horrible side effects one way or the other.

Transcendental Meditation has worked best for me. I really don't even drink anymore since I started TM.
  • marcos wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

This is the best way to go as I highly recommend staying away from any antipsychotics; they all have horrible side effects one way or the other.

Transcendental Meditation has worked best for me. I really don't even drink anymore since I started TM.
    :|
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • marcos wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:

Meditation is pretty cool! I wish I had the patience to do it.