Options

*** Music Midtown Festival Fanviews Here 9/22/12 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,954
edited December 2012 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam:
Music Midtown Festival
Atlanta, GA
Sept. 22, 2012
Set List

01. Why Go (Stone's guitar rig fails for most of the song.)
02. Save You
03. Animal

(Ed says it is a great night to be in Atlanta and he has never seen the city from this perspective, referring to the location where the festival is being held. He also goes to comment on how great Florence And The Machine were and how great Florence and audience crowd sang. He invites the crowd to sing as much as they can tonight.)

04. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In a Small Town
05. Corduroy
06. Got Some

(Ed decides he will take a moment and describe what the next song is about. He talks about the various kinds of love, like first love and the love in the early part of relationship and love that lasts for years. He also says that the band has deep and long lasting love and that yes, men can love men. He says this next song is about the kind of love that is "ocean deep, long lasting love that surrounds you.")

07. Amongst The Waves
08. Wishlist
09. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
10. Do The Evolution
11. Even Flow

(Ed reminds the audience that it is an election year and encourages everyone to vote and make sure they have the proper ID because some states have new voter ID laws. He also lists the kind of ID that will and won't work. When he gets to gun registration ID working while student ID's won't the crowd cheers a little and some boos are heard as well. Ed says that "in Florida that comment got a much bigger reception. Florida and Arizona seem to be in some sort of bizarre arms race with each other." He then tells the audience that voting is your right.)

12. Know Your Rights-(Jones, Strummer)
13. Nothingman
14. Supersonic
15. Jeremy
16. Porch

(During Porch Ed goes down into the pit and runs along the front and up the center barricades)

Encore Break 1

(Ed says they are going to play as long as they will let them. He thanks Gus for putting on the festival and is happy that back after not being around for a few years.)

17. Crazy Mary-(Williams)

(During Crazy Mary Ed goes down by the barricade again. He also playfully messes with one of the video screen cameramen)

18. Given To Fly-(dedicated to a friend of Mike McCready's named Steve Gleason)

(Ed mentions that "many of the songs we wrote and recorded were done right here in Atlanta with local hero Brendan O'Brien who is here tonight and is a great friend. This is what we secretly call him behind his back. The Fixer")

19. The Fixer
20. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2

(Ed thanks the audience for behaving so well. He points out a young boy that is down in front and comments that if kids and small women can be down in front and be okay it says a lot about the audience taking care of each other. He then, jokingly, asks the boy if he would like some wine, Ed goes onto to thank all of the friends they have acquired over the years the band has been together. He also thanks the local crew that worked the festival and the bands long time touring crew. He says the band has been together for a long time and it speaks to their friendship that have never broken up or had really hateful arguments. He introduces the band and says he hates to repeat a story but he wants to tell the story about watching PJ20 with a friend who commented that "Jeff Ament is such a bad ass" and Ed couldn't agree more.)

21. Unthought Known
22. Black
23. Alive
(Ed says. "they tell us we only have two minutes left so we are going to play this as fast as we can.)
24. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,352
    I had a great time at Midtown Music for the show. I think that there were at least 50,000 to 60,000 people at the show easy.

The wind did not ruin the sound in my opinion. I am kind of xenophobic and claustrophobic, so I did not go on the lawn with most of the other fans. I stood near the portable bathrooms for disabled/handicapped fans. The view was still fine, and I had a good time overall, I can not complain.

It was pretty funny when Eddie offered that young kid some wine, a good laugh by all.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    thanks Sea :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    I wish he talked some stories of Atlanta 1994, simply because of the legacy with it and they don't play ATL much.

Not a bad setlist.

Thanks Sea.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    thanks Sea :)
    Happy 80,000 posts Dimitris.
  • Options
    It was packed in Piedmont Park, much more than expected. Sound was a pleasant surprise, quite loud and clean. Set was pretty good, though they should've dumped Know Your Rights and Crazy Mary, not because they're not good songs, but because next to no one in a festival crowd knew either of them. Luckily enough Pearl Jam fans did.

Wish they would've played a few more of their own, and maybe started a touch earlier, but Ed made my night when he ran down the barricade during porch and shook my hand right in front of the soundboard. It's as cool as you imagine.

Thanks for coming back to Atlanta, we're due for 2 nights next year, but for the love of God pleeeeeeeeease play the Gwinnett Arena. It's a perfect size at around 14k (think Grand Rapids or Columbia), and is worth the fight to get there over the cavernous Phillips arena, curfewed Lakewood or Alpharetta, and is clearly the best music venue in Atlanta. Foos last Nov there was amazing, The Who there in Nov will be also.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,217
    Show was pretty great, ton of hits and songs I've already heard despite it only being my 3rd show but they rocked it hard, mike absolutely killed even flow. Nothingman Crazy Mary and Jeremy were the highlights for me. Afterwords was crazy, on the 4 lane street there were people packed on them for as far as the eye could see both ways. Overall great time.
  • Options
    Great details Sea! Thank you.
    You can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself.
  • Options
    pumpz81pumpz81 Posts: 214
    Had an awesome time at music midtown. love how pearl jam was like fuck the curfew :lol:
    05-03-2010 Kansas City, Missouri 05-04-2010 St Louis, Missouri 09-22-2012 Atlanta, GA (Music Midtown Festival) EV 11-09-2012 Austin 1 11-11-12 Austin 2 11-16-12 San Antonio
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Just getting in... Great show
  • Options
    pumpz81 wrote:
    Had an awesome time at music midtown. love how pearl jam was like fuck the curfew :lol:
    hehe!!! :D
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i had a fantastic time at the show. i suppose some might look at the set list and go ho hum, but man that was so much fun. I thought the band sounded really good and i can't think of a bad thing to say :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    My second time seeing PJ, and for my money they did not disappoint. Lots of hits on the set, but most of which I hadn't seen before.

J had a solid slot about 25 or so yards back from the screen on Mine's side. It wasn't perfect, but it was all I needed.

Every bone in my body hurts, but for Pearl Jam I would do it all again right now.
    Columbus 2010 - Atlanta 2012 - Charlotte 2013
  • Options
    SchmaktSchmakt Charlotte Posts: 207
    Wow. They played their asses off! I'll echo the comment about Mike... not that he doesn't always kill it, but last night was fantastic.

I really guess I forgot why I hate festivals so much tho... now I remember. So many assholes in the crowd pushing. Not dancing, just pushing. 3 dickwads pushed me aside and then just stood right in front of me about 3/4 of the way through the first set... bathroom situation was horrible too. No line of site down the middle was weird... Ugh. Easily my least favorite show... I forgot to remember that I wasn't going to a Pearl Jam show. That will definitely be the last festival for me if there's a band I really want to see.
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
  • Options
    Nice set

Know Your Rights! :fp: must of been awhile? :think:
    shows: Shepherds Bush 110809
    Hyde Park 250610
    Bridge School Benefit 23/241010
    Manchester MEN 210612
    Amsterdam Ziggodome 270612
    Berlin '02' 040712
  • Options
    The VIP was mellow. Worth it just for the bathroom access. I guess you get spoiled being so close in the fan club but I enjoyed this show. I'm looking forward to them returning to Atlanta...few nights at the fox? Gwinnett would be a solid venue choice.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    hope everyone who attended had a blast
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    The VIP was mellow. Worth it just for the bathroom access. I guess you get spoiled being so close in the fan club but I enjoyed this show. I'm looking forward to them returning to Atlanta...few nights at the fox? Gwinnett would be a solid venue choice.
    you have any fotos?thanks
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

Sorry I do not. Just my memories.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    Evensteven wrote:

Sorry I do not. Just my memories.
    great!!thank you!! :)
  • Options
    Schmakt wrote:
    Wow. They played their asses off! I'll echo the comment about Mike... not that he doesn't always kill it, but last night was fantastic.

I really guess I forgot why I hate festivals so much tho... now I remember. So many assholes in the crowd pushing. Not dancing, just pushing. 3 dickwads pushed me aside and then just stood right in front of me about 3/4 of the way through the first set... bathroom situation was horrible too. No line of site down the middle was weird... Ugh. Easily my least favorite show... I forgot to remember that I wasn't going to a Pearl Jam show. That will definitely be the last festival for me if there's a band I really want to see.

I have to agree about this being my last festival. I'm just too old.lol I was front left side row and stood there for 8 hours and because it was Pearl Jam it was worth it, but I don't think I'll ever go through that again. I went to Jazz fest and was front row by the gates just like this time and it was a totally different atmosphere. People seem to think that if they push hard enough you are just going to move out of the way. Sorry, not going to happen. I almost fell out three times from all the pressure and body heat. Great things about the show was that Mike was phenom and he came out on our side and ran through and played. I don't think Eddie ran out on our side, but he did come out on the end stage a couple of times. Some lucky fans got tamourines and one girl got a set list. All in all great show as always for me. I hope I get to see them in a sit down arena or stadium tour.
  • Options
    Schmakt wrote:

Hey, aren't you my new friend from Charlotte?  Sounds like our situation in the area on Stone's side.  Those 3 shitheads showed up and started smoking right in our faces, yelling at all the wrong times...it definitely changed the vibe of the nice group of fans around us.

In general, though, the show was solid... I've been jonesing for a show since my last one in May 2010.  They totally delivered and sounded great despite a few glitches with the sound.  Loved seeing Stone with a smile on his face for most of the show, especially when they first came out and saw the huge crowd. 

Whoever held up the sign that said, "It doesn't get Eddie Vedder than this," is awesome. So perfect :)

As usual, I'm having that post-show impulse to quit my job and travel around seeing Pearl Jam shows...if only. Stupid grown-up responsibilities.

Side note about the festival itself...beautiful park, great location, but holy shit, what a mess. Oversold and under-prepared.  Outside Lands was not nearly as bad when PJ was there, nor was Firefly earlier this year. I won't come again unless it's my only chance for a PJ show all year.
    Vegas 12/1/93 & 7/11/98 -- SLC 11/2/95 -- San Diego 10/25/00 & 6/5/03 -- DC 5/30/06 & 6/22/08 -- SF 8/28/09 -- Philly 10/31/09, 10/21/13 & 10/22/13 -- Bristow 5/13/10 -- MSG 5/20/10 -- ATL 9/22/12 -- Baltimore 10/27/13 -- LA 11/24/13 -- Leeds 7/8/14 -- Denver 10/22/14

EVx5
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,028
    Pearl Jam was awesome last night. I had a killer time all weekend. I love Atlanta. I was hoping when Ed said at 10:58 that they only had two minutes to play that they were going to play the next one fast - I was really hoping they would end with Lukin - how freakin cool would that be?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    LukinFan wrote:
    Pearl Jam was awesome last night. I had a killer time all weekend. I love Atlanta. I was hoping when Ed said at 10:58 that they only had two minutes to play that they were going to play the next one fast - I was really hoping they would end with Lukin - how freakin cool would that be?

glad you had a good time, Roger!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    haha...that would be cool..
  • Options
    Well, it was PJ, an that is never a bad thing. We were out on the lawn, in the middle part of the stage, maybe 20-30 yards back. Ppl around us were fans and we all sang along to every word. I think the best way to describe the set list was fun. Nothing rare, but the band put their all into it and seemed to have fun. I think the park sold too many tickets and there were times i was truly scared for my safety - felt like i would be crushed at any time. A lot of pushy jerks and a lot of testosterone going around - guys threatening each other, etc.
    This was my 24th show and my husband's first and he had never listened to PJ prior to us meeting (a little less than 2 yrs.). I believe he has come "our" side after seeing PJ live :)
    I wish the 11pm noise curfew wouldn't have applied last night bc we could've had more PJ :)

I got a shirt, poster and 4 stickers (1 for me and 3 for ppl on here).

PS: hello to Stacy on MARTA from NC (or was it SC?) who flew in for the show and hello to the guy with his 2 daughters (14 and 9) who was from one of the Carolinas as well but from LA! Sry I didnt get your name. How you all had fun!
  • Options
    It was awesome! I have such a high ten club number I never get close, so last night I got a chance to get close to the stage! It was the closest I have ever been, and I would stand that long and go without food and water that long all over again! It was awesome! No set list surprises, but it was a fantastic show.
  • Options
    Here is our photo review from Atlanta -- terrific show.

http://www.6000footdrop.com/6000-foot-d ... a-now.html

see you in missoula!
  • Options
    59fender59fender Statesville NC Posts: 46
    I had a really good time. We sat pretty far back in the grass, people were walking in front of us basically the whole show, which was a little distracting. But the guys played great, mike had great tone from his guitar. Must be that 65 amp. This was my 2nd show first show mike didn't play a 65. The festival show was cool but if I had my choice I would rather see a regular show, the curfew cut em short they were rushing through the last few songs. I got some cool sound clips I have posted on soundcloud. Check em out, should be able to find and follow me, search for Travis Howell. Not sure if I have a handle?? If you can't find it and wanna hear pm me! Hope everyone had a great time. I can't wait for my 3rd PJ show.

PS if anyone has a poster they wanna sell, shoot me a pm.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam played perfectly. Eddie's voice sounded great. The sound system...intermittent and annoying. Which was really disappointing and unexpected because there were no sound system issues during Ludacris, Florence and the DJ on the other stage right before PJ came on. There were some cool lighting fx throughout the set and awesome video editing(?) on the monitors during Rearviewmirror. The crowd sang its parts appropriately ("Helloooo!") We're so well trained. :D

Ed offering the kid some wine was funny. And I think Ed said the kid asked for Tequila instead? LOL.

Yeah, the bathroom lines were ridiculous, but re-entries were allowed, so I and others went outside to the park bathrooms. The merch was "meh." The ferris wheel was fun. And somehow I never got lost trying to my find my peeps. (Thanks balloon landmarks!) Basically this venue worked for me; Piedmont park is really pretty; but reaallly not in a hurry to go to another festival. Festivals... :roll:

Hoping to see some good vids on youtube; we could only see the monitors.

:)
  • Options
    59fender wrote:
    I had a really good time. We sat pretty far back in the grass, people were walking in front of us basically the whole show, which was a little distracting. But the guys played great, mike had great tone from his guitar. Must be that 65 amp. This was my 2nd show first show mike didn't play a 65. The festival show was cool but if I had my choice I would rather see a regular show, the curfew cut em short they were rushing through the last few songs. I got some cool sound clips I have posted on soundcloud. Check em out, should be able to find and follow me, search for Travis Howell. Not sure if I have a handle?? If you can't find it and wanna hear pm me! Hope everyone had a great time. I can't wait for my 3rd PJ show.

PS if anyone has a poster they wanna sell, shoot me a pm.

Oh, yeah...the nonstop walking around!!! Where the eff were these people going??? And the people chatting about nothing. I tried to remind myself that not everyone's there for PJ, but couldn't help but be annoyed... :roll: