If you owned a pub....

2»

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Meg8686 wrote:
    All amazing ideas thanks guys!! About to sit down and have a big chat about making some changes :)

So yeah, just a final Bump to see if anyones got anything else for me :) & again. Thanks guys Big LOVE for all the help :)

Just a random question becasue I really don't know. Do they have chicken wings where you are?
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Yes we have chicken wings in the UK. :lol::lol: But we don't sell them here yet... :roll:
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Meg8686 wrote:
    Yes we have chicken wings in the UK. :lol::lol: But we don't sell them here yet... :roll:

Ok. Well sell them and make them good. :lol: Great bar food. Just the smell of them makes people want to drink more.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    what are the demographics in the area? your target demographic?
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Meg8686 wrote:
    Hey all, this is our pub!! My best friend is the landlady and we al live here :) It's awesome. Before Rach took over the pub had an awful reputation. We're trying to Build it back up and win back the locals, it's happening slowly but surely.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnSbzkCEQTURSw7O88NHKEjdFx4vDZUJU__RQPAygrgK6GOKyX

Does anyone have any suggestions for events or promotions we could put on? Anything you've seen done that you liked, or anything you go to localy that you think we could do?
    http://www.rockaoke.co.uk/

Them's probably rather more big city centre bar event things, though.

Real ales are an absolute must. You'll want to get into the CAMRA guide to pull in more people, and that's all about having independent and ales. It's Dorset, I would like to think the place will have St Austell's Proper Job and Tribute. Otter, too.

Sure, have the obvious bulmers/magners for the basic cider drinkers, but you'll need real ones, too. Again, local. Nevermind Aspall - that's the easy obvious one, but everyone also knows it's from Suffolk. Just a subtle hint - I LOVE BLACKTHORN.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited September 2012
    Guest bartenders would be slow (could piss people off) so only on a quiet night ... also chances they will serve short pints so you better hope you are not being checked by trading standards that night.

Find a local Saturday/Sunday league team and offer to put on sandwiches/grub after their games they and their supporters are then in for drinks.

Skittles and darts leagues the same.

As others said quiz nights.

Don't piss off the locals. True locals feel like they own their pub too. You want to get a good basis if locals not just people coming in for one off random nights. Ask around before making big changes. Don't want to lose custom on the back of what you think is a great idea.

24hr licence. Again don't piss off the neighbours. Be realistic in the hours you set. You're gonna have to work them and who are you going to be attracting if you are open really late. Don't want to get a reputation.

Become known for having good food... be it homemade soup, great pies ...

Friendly staff and good atmosphere will get you further than any gimmick
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    I like the idea of 'guest bartending', but if you want to win back the locals, that's the last thing you want to try in a regional pub. And most certainly, DO NOT SERVE BUFFALO WINGS. Totally wrong demographics. Get the basics right. A roast with a proper giant fluffy yorkshire pud. A proper curry. An actual veggie option with some thought put into it, to be rotated with more veggie options. A gluten free option.

For chips, there's obviously the standard stuff, but as a special, I suggest 2 variations - Poutine (topped with cheese curds and gravy) and Jackie Lennox (topped with red leicester cheese and garlic sauce)

Them Yanks here, they wouldn't have a clue of what makes a pub if it chomped off their arse. They do sports bars. Don't do a sports bar. It's friggin Dorset.

Hooks under the bar for people to hang their hats and coats. Wooden tables. Comfy stools.
    For an idea of what ales and ciders are good, just look at what these places here serve up

http://www.whitehorsesw6.com/beer.php
    http://www.thesouthamptonarms.co.uk/
    http://www.theorchardbs1.co.uk/

More on food, the Southampton Arms really know what's right to go along with that - well done hog roast bap, and very good scotch egg, even a vegetarian one.

The Canton arms, another pub in London that I love, has 2 great variations on the toastie. I'm sure they do more great food than just the toasties, but I haven't tried. It's simple. Bread. Breville. And fillings-

One is haggis
    One is foie gras

Drool
    edited September 2012
    Ohh, more things.

A fireplace. Proper fireplace. Dorset in winter screams out stay indoors, keep warm, away from the rain. Fireplace gets people to stay and spend money. I see there's a garden. Blankets are an absolute must. Divide them into the smokers' ones and non-smokers' ones. The smell from fags gets into the blankets, and I don't want to wrap myself in a smelly one.

I don't know anything about wine. But you should have some. Duh.

Gin. I like any pub where the basic gin is NOT Gordons

TV. Sure, have one, but it doesn't mean you have to have it on. And make sure if you do have something on, for football, rugby, darts, whatever, there's alternative seating available for people who are there just to be in a pub, to have a chat without having Jeff Stelling and his mates yelling at 'em

Music - yes, have the live music night, maybe, if you have the suitable room for it, proper sound desk, sound insulation and PA system. Costly. Don't pay out for something which you need to give up in no time, in case the neighbours come down on it. Anyway, away from live sets, the rest of the time, especially before evening? Nope. It's a pub, people who want music can go to a bar. The sounds from the games machine is more than enough.

Or, if the locals don't mind it so much, then swing the other way 180 degrees. Don't do a jukebox. Have a record player, maybe every other month allow people to bring their own records and spin 'em, like a holding a record fair. Brings in business come fair time, a great way to turn this into a musos hub, so really, brings in business all round.

Board games. Have 'em. Books, too. And something to entertain the toddlers, in case there's mums around who bring the kids in.
    Post edited by Hinn on
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Wow Hinn, Thanks so much :lol::lol: Pub hasn't closed yet but will give all your ideas my full attention when it does :) but just wanted to quickly reply with a huge thank you. Will hopefully chat more soon :)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
    I moved here cos of the pub culture. Well, for the PJ mates, but it's the pubs that's making me want to stay.

chime, well she grew up in a pub :)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I really like the veggie plate idea...I like the places here that have a nice hummus and veggie plate.

Most bars have fried greasy food, and they wonder why Americans are so fat. :|

I have a giant Jenga...it was a huge hit camping and at a 4th of July party. Still get questions, "when are we going to play giant Jenga again?"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Meg8686 wrote:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnSbzkCEQTURSw7O88NHKEjdFx4vDZUJU__RQPAygrgK6GOKyX

The bar you live above looks like a Mumford and Sons album cover.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Hinn is right about music. Your taste may not be others taste ... and jukebox one person ruling what others listen to.

You want a wide clientele... less is more. Pubs is about chatting with people. People of all ages. Welcoming to families.

Have a music night sure but not all the time.

One pub we owned locals told us there would be no jukebox and no fruit machines and they wanted the log fire back (last owners had got rid of it) ... we did exactly what they wanted ... they even provided all the labour for free to build the new fire because it was what they wanted
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Put trivial pursuit cards on all of the tables.

One of our local bars does this, and we love it. We have also been to bars that have a selection of board games. That was also a winner for us.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23