If you owned a pub....

Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey all, this is our pub!! My best friend is the landlady and we al live here :) It's awesome. Before Rach took over the pub had an awful reputation. We're trying to Build it back up and win back the locals, it's happening slowly but surely.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnSbzkCEQTURSw7O88NHKEjdFx4vDZUJU__RQPAygrgK6GOKyX

Does anyone have any suggestions for events or promotions we could put on? Anything you've seen done that you liked, or anything you go to localy that you think we could do?

So far we do friday happy hour followed by a meat draw, theres a skittle alley and a Garden. We have a 24hr license to play with and food served in the day and evenings ... but we need to up our game.

Saying that if your a musician or a band in the Dorset area feel free to PM me. Were really want to promote local bands and we LOVE live music . Would love to hear from you :)

We're getting some ideas on paper tonight , ALL Suggestions welcome :)
Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Wet tshirt contests.
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    So obvious I even knew who'd post it ... :) but all ideas are being considered at this stage :lol::lol::lol: .

What else have you got?
  • I used to run Giant Jenga tournaments in the pub I worked at many years ago. Those were fun :D

http://www.gardengames.co.uk/acatalog/Giant_Jenga.html
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    dart tourneys. is there a league for darts or pool?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    open mic nights are always a lot of fun. plus, it's a good way to audition bands for full sets.

make the specials fun...and worth it to the customer. maybe sell certain drinks just above cost to get things started.

get a good jukebox.

get a pool/shuffleboard table.

trivia night is fun

mix up the menu....try some new dishes. let the cook experiment & have their experiments be the happy hour specials.

best of luck!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Thanks all . We have a dart board :D and all the skittle teams in dorset play here too. they say they can't beieve the change in the place.

Thanks for planting the garden games seed in my head :) Heres a few pics of the Pub garden :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423701_355072374579410_672224697_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/155139_355072571246057_2007045083_n.jpg
    Put trivial pursuit cards on all of the tables.
  • chill out ambient night..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Meg8686 wrote:
    Thanks all . We have a dart board :D and all the skittle teams in dorset play here too. they say they can't beieve the change in the place.

Thanks for planting the garden games seed in my head :) Heres a few pics of the Pub garden :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423701_355072374579410_672224697_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/155139_355072571246057_2007045083_n.jpg

Looks like a nice place to drink on a sunny day.

Very obvious but a pub quiz is always popular but one of my local pub serves free chips and sausage at the interval. Very popular and relatively cheap. It depends how big the interior is too.
    http://alovelypintofbrown.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/goldies-36-high-east-st-dorchester.html

Good to get some great reviews too. Hopefully we can really make this place something special :)
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,138
    Board games, jenga, dominoes,connect 4 type games goes down pretty well in a lot of the pubs here, with some giant versions in the garden. One of my faves is a 'real ale' pub and has a menu for the weekly specials or ales/ciders etc which people like, they do an open mic night and have a quiz too.
    Sunday carvery, a good jukebox, maybe some guest ales/beers from local micro breweries etc.
    On the live music front, in Helston they run a 'Helstonbury' a little local mini festival between a couple of pubs (with one of the stages being in the skittle alley), but maybe you could amend that sort of thing as a kickstart.
    Have a Pearl Jam covers band and organise a meet up :lol::lol::lol:
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • good beer, good music. I won't leave
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    good beer, good music. I won't leave

2 key points!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    mechanical bull and a place for a live band to play are some good choices. hot female bartenders would keep the guys in the house all hours of the night.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • "Guest Bartender" usually works out well...

Everybody wants to be the bartender, so you have people sign up to be your bartender for an evening. Gimmick is they work for you for free, they invite ALL of their friends so they show off behind the bar. Friends of bartender get a stamp or what not for $1 off drinks or whatever ya like....Place gets packed when "Guest Bartender" has lots of friends, Bar makes money ;)
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
    "Guest Bartender" usually works out well...

Everybody wants to be the bartender, so you have people sign up to be your bartender for an evening. Gimmick is they work for you for free, they invite ALL of their friends so they show off behind the bar. Friends of bartender get a stamp or what not for $1 off drinks or whatever ya like....Place gets packed when "Guest Bartender" has lots of friends, Bar makes money ;)

that's a solid idea! 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

I LOVE it!!
  • :thumbup:

Oh...and Bottomless Cup Hour... $20 gets a pint glass w/ refills for an hour. 99% of people believe they can drink like fish, Bullshit. Promote the hell out of bottomless cup hour from say 8pm-9pm on Fridays. People will PACK that place thinking they are gonna get hammered! Which they will, but if you can get 20 people to buy a bottomless cup, That's $400 sale in an hour And then they are drunk and on tilt so they are stayin and payin till close. ;)
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    :thumbup:

Oh...and Bottomless Cup Hour... $20 gets a pint glass w/ refills for an hour. 99% of people believe they can drink like fish, Bullshit. Promote the hell out of bottomless cup hour from say 8pm-9pm on Fridays. People will PACK that place thinking they are gonna get hammered! Which they will, but if you can get 20 people to buy a bottomless cup, That's $400 sale in an hour And then they are drunk and on tilt so they are stayin and payin till close. ;)

Genius!
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    :thumbup:

That is brilliant...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,679

Does this work in the states? There is no way you could do that up here in Canada with the liqour laws and such. You would lose your liqour if they found out and heaven forbid if someone should die if you had a guest bartender. Does sound like a great idea though
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387

That is an inspired idea,well done.

A great jukebox and great beer gets me staying in a pub all night.

My favourite place to go used to be a proper dive,total snooker cue brawl place,I was never in it but it was notorious in the area.
    New owners took it over and turned it into a really great place to go.They do a film night,they have a roll down cinema screen on the wall and projector,the food menu of the night reflects the film being shown.They also have really chilled out cool staff that make everyone feel relaxed and enjoy themselves.

There is loads of random stuff on the walls and propped up,it keeps people interested and creates a cool atmosphere.Good food is a must,decent locally produced food.

Lovely beer garden,has great potential for BBQ during the summer :D Good luck
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • BLACK35 wrote:

Does this work in the states? There is no way you could do that up here in Canada with the liqour laws and such. You would lose your liqour if they found out and heaven forbid if someone should die if you had a guest bartender. Does sound like a great idea though

Yes. It works. Only the establishments need the liquor license, not the person tending bar. A bartending license or certification is only for the individual who recieves it's resume. Not up on Canadian laws but if someone dies as a result of who serves them a drink I'm not quite sure what the authorities could do about it different from if it were just a regular joe behind the bar. I mean, if a licensed bartender served a blatantly drunk fool and that drunk fool went off and died as a result of too much alcohol. It doesn't matter if the bartender was licensed or not. They are still fucked, they just know how to make a better appletini I guess.... But yes, in the states its completely legal. And I only post these ideas from a profit generating standpoint. The 2 most profitable business one can own are a bar and auto repair shop. The mark up on cost to profit is absolutely INSANE if you know what you're doing.
    For a mechanic, it really helps to be located in or near a ghetto, for a bar its better to be as close to a college or university as possible ;)

MLMF NYC
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    TV's for sports (NFL, World Cup, etc...)
    Many taps - half for regular beers the other half in rotation of killer craft beers
    Cool specials on yummy grub (great food = great crowds) - i.e. Saturday/Sunday MORNINGS --> "Kegs N' Eggs"
    Awesome music - both live and jukebox/master
    Theme nights w/ booze specials
    Awesome bartenders and servers

Get out & involved in the community (golf courses, gas stations, universities, PTA Mom's, etc...) and drum up crowds, free grub, discounted drinks, etc... if you want people to come back they need to feel like the place is home. Meaning, they need to get to know staff/owners, that they are heard (request certain beers, menu items)

Get a presence on social media (Twitter, FB, etc...) - have 1 screen displaying tweets and posts continuously in the bar w/ pictures

have yummy snacks belly up at the bar (not boring pretzels and peanuts) do peanut butter filled pretzels, wasabi peas, edamame,etc...

Offer it up to wedding companies for bachelor parties, weddings, etc...

Get cozy with the local hotels - give the GM a "black card" for year round discounts, where the % increases with more guests he/she refers

Word of mouth :D

Good luck
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
    I would say do all this stuff slowly. Maybe allow your customer base to drive any improvements THEY want to see. Other than that what do YOU want in a pub?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    have we discussed the need to have attractive women customers? get the women in and the guys will follow.

skilled bartenders are must. i hate guest bartender night. i want a pro behind the counter.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    have we discussed the need to have attractive women customers? get the women in and the guys will follow.

skilled bartenders are must. i hate guest bartender night. i want a pro behind the counter.
    pro or amateur doesnt matter, just get the shit in a glass so I can pour it down my throat and keep them coming. But I'm easy that way.

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    mickeyrat wrote:
    81 wrote:

pro or amateur doesnt matter, just get the shit in a glass so I can pour it down my throat and keep them coming. But I'm easy that way.

for beer maybe, but for mixed drinks, i want somebody that knows what they are doing....

i hate the guest idea....seems like that is something you do at home.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Serve these.

at_duffs_buffalos_best_wings_m_p1.jpg
    All amazing ideas thanks guys!! About to sit down and have a big chat about making some changes :)

So yeah, just a final Bump to see if anyones got anything else for me :) & again. Thanks guys Big LOVE for all the help :)