Traveling south.. any recommendations?

CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Driving from Detroit area to Nashville and then to Memphis..

What's good to do? there and along the way?

any tips would be appreciated..
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i can give you a few eateries in toledo [insertwillshrug}
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Traveling south you say? Look her in the eyes is my only recommendation. :lol:
  • 81 wrote:

This trip will last forever if I am already hungry at Toledo
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
    Caveeze wrote:
    81 wrote:

This trip will last forever if I am already hungry at Toledo

:lol:

neil armstrong museum in dayton. ....um..sky linechilii in cincy...ummmm....best bet....bourbon train in KY
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119 wrote:

That would mean she would be looking at me.. and my rule is "if she is looking at me, I am doing something wrong"

typically she is to overwhelmed to look at anything..

VGL.. Its a scene man!
    Caveeze wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

That would mean she would be looking at me.. and my rule is "if she is looking at me, I am doing something wrong"

VGL.. Its a scene man!

It's all about eye contact. 8-)
  • DS1119 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

VGL.. Its a scene man!

It's all about eye contact. 8-)
    maybe the other way.. :D

but seriously man! ever travelled to Tennessee?
    Caveeze wrote:

Nah, just driven through and the airports a few times.
    Caveeze wrote:

BONNAAARROOOROROROROROOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oh wait, yes :lol:

mostly just drivin thru it, except bonnaroo.....

if you want a differetn route, i highly suggest charleston, sc and ashville, NC....good friggen times....we might do them for christmas
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

BONNAAARROOOROROROROROOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oh wait, yes :lol:

mostly just drivin thru it, except bonnaroo.....

if you want a differetn route, i highly suggest charleston, sc and ashville, NC....good friggen times....we might do them for christmas
    We may take this route on the way home.. Stay at a nice hotel on the ocean for a song at that time of year :D
    Caveeze wrote:
    We may take this route on the way home.. Stay at a nice hotel on the ocean for a song at that time of year :D

what time frame are you looking.......xmas week is a great time to visit .....charleston is one of our fav citites. we spent xmas week down there 3 years ago. one of the best vacations ever.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

what time frame are you looking.......xmas week is a great time to visit .....charleston is one of our fav citites. we spent xmas week down there 3 years ago. one of the best vacations ever.
    Lisa and i are going to the EV Memphis show the night before Thanksgiving.. I got that whole week off though..

I am Thinking Nashville tuesday, Memphis Wednesday, Turkey at my cousin's in Knoxville, NC coast or Virginia beach Friday, then who knows... and just be home monday morning for work..

(I realize this is stupid amounts of driving, that why I want ideas for a better plan to slow it down.. maybe)
    Caveeze wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

Lisa and i are going to the EV Memphis show the night before Thanksgiving.. I got that whole week off though..

I am Thinking Nashville tuesday, Memphis Wednesday, Turkey at my cousin's in Knoxville, NC coast or Virginia beach Friday, then who knows... and just be home monday morning for work..

(I realize this is stupid amounts of driving, that why I want ideas for a better plan to slow it down.. maybe)

leave on a tuesday, home the following monday....

about 2400 miles.....that's not bad...we did 2500 on our maine trip this last summer. left on a sat, home the following friday....same legnth....teh driving wasn't too bad.

i would still toss in a night in ashville if you can. lots of good bars
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The 4runner will get a chance to run!!
    Caveeze wrote:
    The 4runner will get a chance to run!!

#woooo

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

#woooo

Oh shit!! I just realized!! Me, you, and DS all drive Toyota trucks :o ... somehow this is funny..
    Caveeze wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

#woooo

Oh shit!! I just realized!! Me, you, and DS all drive Toyota trucks :o ... somehow this is funny..

i have a truck, you two have suv's
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

Which is a truck. Minus a place to transport livestock. :lol:
    Caveeze wrote:
    81 wrote:

:fp:

dude, you are from the midwest and work on auto's.....if you can't tell the difference between a truck and an suv by now, you have issues
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    81 wrote:

:fp:

dude, you are from the midwest and work on auto's.....if you can't tell the difference between a truck and an suv by now, you have issues
    Same frame, same powertrain.. They are both trucks..
    And I said an SUV is a truck minus the space for livestock.. But I am sure DS makes room in his 4runner for a goat or two ;)
    Caveeze wrote:
    And I said an SUV is a truck minus the space for livestock.. But I am sure DS makes room in his 4runner for a goat or two ;)

i knew you were going to say frame/powertrain :lol: you're right, but stilll a truck is not an suv, and an suv is not a truck
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

i knew you were going to say frame/powertrain :lol: you're right, but stilll a truck is not an suv, and an suv is not a truck
    Either way.. We are all the shit..

I find it funny that whenever you see footage of AK-47 toting, bearded terrorist types tooling around some bombed out neighborhood.. They always seem to be driving some beat to fuck toyota pickup truck!! This says "durability" to my consumer mind.. :D
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    When I read the thread title, my recommendation was going to be to go to Memphis! Memphis is awesome. You have to soak up the culture. I'd say downtown is the main place to be. I love the Rock & Soul Museum. You have to spend some time on Beale Street - both during the day & at night. (Not sure how happening it will be the night before Thanksgiving though.) The Rendezvous is famous for thier ribs & it's an awesome joint in general. Corky's has great BBQ too though. I always get their pulled pork sandwich. The Peabody is a beautiful, historic hotel & it's really cool to see the ducks that live there. (And isn't that where Ed stayed last time?) Try to catch them when they're coming down to the lobby or heading back up to their "penthouse" in the evening. (The ducks, I mean, not Ed.) You can find the schedule online. The Peabody roof also has a good view of the city & the river. You have to check out the Mississippi River. And be sure to check out the bridge at night. In the day, I'd recommend taking the monorail over to Mud Island (which is in the river) too. (It's not just a mud island; there's stuff to do.) You should absolutely check out the famous Stax Records. And Graceland is something everyone should see once in their lives. And don't forget about the Gibson guitar factory. Shit man, I think you really need to just spend the whole week in Memphis. :D I'm so jealous! Have a great time and report back, please, about how it went!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Head to Third Man Records in Nashville. Their hours are a little screwy & it gets pretty crowded, so I'd suggest going when they open.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    take a drive through the smokies ... the fall colours should be starting soon ... should be pretty ... not sure if the bears will be out this time of year but you can keep an eye out ...

edit: sorry - just saw your route ... it'll be slightly out of your way to head to the smokies ...
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

can you take the top off said 4-runner? if so, then it is a truck. Like an old school Bronco.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    _ wrote:
    When I read the thread title, my recommendation was going to be to go to Memphis! Memphis is awesome. You have to soak up the culture. I'd say downtown is the main place to be. I love the Rock & Soul Museum. You have to spend some time on Beale Street - both during the day & at night. (Not sure how happening it will be the night before Thanksgiving though.) The Rendezvous is famous for thier ribs & it's an awesome joint in general. Corky's has great BBQ too though. I always get their pulled pork sandwich. The Peabody is a beautiful, historic hotel & it's really cool to see the ducks that live there. (And isn't that where Ed stayed last time?) Try to catch them when they're coming down to the lobby or heading back up to their "penthouse" in the evening. (The ducks, I mean, not Ed.) You can find the schedule online. The Peabody roof also has a good view of the city & the river. You have to check out the Mississippi River. And be sure to check out the bridge at night. In the day, I'd recommend taking the monorail over to Mud Island (which is in the river) too. (It's not just a mud island; there's stuff to do.) You should absolutely check out the famous Stax Records. And Graceland is something everyone should see once in their lives. And don't forget about the Gibson guitar factory. Shit man, I think you really need to just spend the whole week in Memphis. :D I'm so jealous! Have a great time and report back, please, about how it went!
    Corky's pulled pork is to die for....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    tybird wrote:
    _ wrote:
    Corky's pulled pork is to die for....

:thumbup:
  • Corky's is okay. They are essentially a chain. Check out Central BBQ in Memphis, that is freaking amazing.

If you're a beer geek, check out the Flying Saucer in Nashville. When I lived there, this was by far my favorite beer bar. They have about 100 taps and 200 bottles. It has changed a little, and it has become somewhat of a hangout for Vandy students. If you want to check out more of the local scene, head across the river to the 5 points neighborhood in East Nashville. Red Door and 3 Crow Bar are cool places to hang out. You'll definitely be drinking with the locals.

I'm not a country fan, but the honkytonks on Broadway always ensure good people watching, and usually good musicians.

South Street Bar has a cool vibe and really good food. It is adjacent to the Vandy campus, and it is within walking distance of the Great Escape which can be fun for vinyl, comic, and cd digging.

I lived in Nashville for 25 years. It's a great place, even if you aren't a country fan. There was a write up in the NY Times a few months ago talking about their growing food scene. Do some research (depending on your food tastes), and I'm sure you won't be disappointed!!!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    polaris_x wrote:
    take a drive through the smokies ... the fall colours should be starting soon ... should be pretty ... not sure if the bears will be out this time of year but you can keep an eye out ...

edit: sorry - just saw your route ... it'll be slightly out of your way to head to the smokies ...
    Knoxville was mentioned....and that city is in the shadows of the Smokies......I have seen bears out and about as late as November there.

The Smokies are great....as long as you avoid the tourist traps of Seiverville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.