Options

Met Ed last night after the show!

iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
edited April 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
for those waited for Ed last night.... he finally came out around 2:40 am. There were six of us left. He hung out for about ten minutes. Gave hugs, signed everything personalized to us. Told a couple of cool stories. Even slugged me in the shoulder. My first meeting with the guy. Very cool. Just as cool as that, was getting to meet a bunch of really great people.
tacos
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    That is awesome - congrats!!! We waited a few years back here in Jersey & it took awhile, but Ed popped out of the van and shook hands with everyone.

=)
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,351
    that's cool but also creepy i really never had the urge to wait after show to meet any band members ever but i'm glad your experience was a pleasant one ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    that's cool but also creepy i really never had the urge to wait after show to meet any band members ever but i'm glad your experience was a pleasant one ....
    Don't say stupid shit, man. It's not creepy at all. Don't you think if Ed thought it was creepy he'd NOT stop and socialize? Good for the op.
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    Ed is really cool to his fans. I met him in the parking lot on the way back to my car long after a show ended. He was riding around on his moutain bike with Pete (security), i swear he was looking for fans to talk to.
    He pulled up and sat down on his bike had a smoke, we shared a Heineken. There was about ten other fans that eventually joined us, it was really low key and relaxed. He took an interest with every fan. I will never forget how his eyes would focus intently on you would you would converse with him
    I talked with him for over an hour. Classy guy!
    thanks for sharing your story.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    Don't say stupid shit, man. It's not creepy at all. Don't you think if Ed thought it was creepy he'd NOT stop and socialize? Good for the op.

I have to agree, it is not that creepy to wait to meet someone after a show. It is creepy to wait for someone outside their house or something like that, but people have been waiting outside shows or sporting events or things like that to meet their favorite performers for years. In my opinion it actually sort of the opposite of creepy because it is in a controlled environment where someone like Ed is expecting to see fans. If you were to stake out his house and follow him to the grocery store to get an autograph, that would be creepy, meeting him after his show, is not.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,661
    Ed was in a great mood last night. It was clear he had a lot of love for Santa Cruz and the love was mutual. Gotta love his little improv about coming back here.
    The sound bounced around alot inside the venue but up front things looked and sounded great.
    Ed said the venue made him feel really big 'cuz it was like a shrunken stadium, I think standing next to Liam Finn must have made him feel big as well, holy cow, that guy is tiny! (But w/big soul & voice.)
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    zeroenvyzeroenvy Posts: 40
    I wouldn't, but it's cool that you got to meet him.
    6/27/08!
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492

I think you could actually interpret this as "I'm actually kind of jealous".
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331

I agree with many that it's not "creepy.." However...I think what Josevolution MAY have been referring to is more the fact that people wait around, sitting on the street in the middle of the night for like 4 hours hoping someone famous may come out and say hi to them. Just not his cup of tea. Mine either. Personally I don't have the desire to meet anyone enough to wait for hours and hours on a street corner with hope someone *may* come out and *may* say hi.

Others are different...that is what keeps this world diverse.

That's cool for the op! Glad you got to meet Ed. :)
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    ed's a nice guy to talk to.he makes you feel at ease
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    Its funny how little things with ed ends up being so big to everybody. Im pretty sure Ed isnt the only human who makes eye contact when speaking to someone :D I do it all the time... no one ever says shit about it :(

blah blah blah...

I think it had a lot to do with the topic of our conversation. It got pretty intense and was a touchy subject, although he addressed it being the anniversary of Roskilde.
    I don't feel like getting into it , i just remember how intense his eyes were
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    iwasthere wrote:
    for those waited for Ed last night.... he finally came out around 2:40 am. There were six of us left. He hung out for about ten minutes. Gave hugs, signed everything personalized to us. Told a couple of cool stories. Even slugged me in the shoulder. My first meeting with the guy. Very cool. Just as cool as that, was getting to meet a bunch of really great people.

did you get any souvenier bruises?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    VOLITION wrote:
    Ed is really cool to his fans. I met him in the parking lot on the way back to my car long after a show ended. He was riding around on his moutain bike with Pete (security), i swear he was looking for fans to talk to.
    He pulled up and sat down on his bike had a smoke, we shared a Heineken. There was about ten other fans that eventually joined us, it was really low key and relaxed. He took an interest with every fan. I will never forget how his eyes would focus intently on you would you would converse with him
    I talked with him for over an hour. Classy guy!
    thanks for sharing your story.

I would just die if I could get that close to talk to him..........

(which is why I probably will never be able to..........but that is SOOOOOOOOO fucking cool, man!!!!!)
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    VOLITION wrote:
    blah blah blah...

I think it had a lot to do with the topic of our conversation. It got pretty intense and was a touchy subject, although he addressed it being the anniversary of Roskilde.
    I don't feel like getting into it , i just remember how intense his eyes were
    thats why we were happy and sad after seattle 00 2. lots of indications that it was their last show.
  • Options
    writersu wrote:

(which is why I probably will never be able to..........but that is SOOOOOOOOO fucking cool, man!!!!!)
    i thought so too. especially when he came in the stall to take a leak before i was finished taking a leak.
    embarassing for both, but we chatted for at least halk an hour after.
  • Options
    laudenum wrote:
    i thought so too. especially when he came in the stall to take a leak before i was finished taking a leak.

hahaha now thats a nice meet up right there...

How funny is that ? :D
  • Options
    hahaha now thats a nice meet up right there...

How funny is that ? :D
    we will always have that "special bond" ; )
    it was funny though.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,018
    iwasthere wrote:
    very cool- thanks for sharing
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    laudenum wrote:
    we will always have that "special bond" ; )
    it was funny though.

haha .. and i thought it was weird when i met him (i was completely thrown off, one minute im chillin , about to light a smoke and BAM vedward is in my space).. that is by FAR way more awkward though.. but in a good way :D
  • Options
    laudenum wrote:
    thats why we were happy and sad after seattle 00 2. lots of indications that it was their last show.

Ed did say he seriously considered giving it all up. He was a complete mess as you can imagine, he barely had the strength to get out of bed. The band was so fucked up that they met to decide whether or not they should cancel the N.A tour.
    He said meeting all of the families and talking to Pete Townshend helped with the healing process. It brought the band together super close.
    It was tough listening to him but i am glad i was there to talk to him about it, kind of in a supportive way. I think everyone who was there felt the same
    Pearl Jam are like a band of brothers.

- EV
  • Options
    laudenum wrote:

did he see your pee pee?

- EV
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    writersu wrote:
    did you get any souvenier bruises?

Having been there as well, EV didn't seem to punch him hard enough for any visible bruises...however the memories he has of that evening now along w/the personally signed playbill will keep him happy for quite some time!

Definitely a evening I won't forget anytime soon! The funny thing is, out of the few times I've met EV this was the first time I truly had some "quality" discussion time with him and the one thing about all of last night that keeps blowing my mind more than anything....that he actually thought I looked familiar, LOL! I mean the man has probably seen thousands of faces over the course of the years and for me to be even slightly recognizable to him is pretty damn cool in a weird way.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    VOLITION wrote:
    did he see your pee pee?
    he only comes up to my chin,so i'll bet ya he did : ) ....
    its wierd ya dont know where to look.
  • Options
    VOLITION wrote:
    Ed did say he seriously considered giving it all up. He was a complete mess as you can imagine, he barely had the strength to get out of bed. The band was so fucked up that they met to decide whether or not they should cancel the N.A tour.
    He said meeting all of the families and talking to Pete Townshend helped with the healing process. It brought the band together super close.
    It was tough listening to him but i am glad i was there to talk to him about it, kind of in a supportive way. I think everyone who was there felt the same
    Pearl Jam are like a band of brothers.
    i remember leaving the concert,and there was just a weird vibe going on.
    totally happy they got thru it,and brought them closer together
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    writersu wrote:

haha me too, i reckon i would just faint or wee my pants!! ;):D
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    I would love to meet Ed.
    I think about what I would say to him and I think besides thanking him for all the great music I don't know what else to say. I would look like a goober just staring at him with a shit eating grin on my face :D
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    laudenum wrote:
    he only comes up to my chin,so i'll bet ya he did : ) ....
    its wierd ya dont know where to look.

i just spit coffee all over my screen LOL!!!!!!.
    That would of been really weird, kind of a queer moment but in a good way perhaps. I would have been so confused LOL

- EV
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759

Oh and its not creepy at all to wait after shows, i mean for fuck sakes!..... if they dont want to stop..they wont...

It's only creepy if you're pantsless
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do