Options

Obama Fundraiser to Include Eddie Vedder, $20,000 Price Tag

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,750
    gibbits wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't have the same view on those issues, in that I think Obama has been doing the best he possibly can with difficult situations. But yeah, I know there are others on the ballot, but those absolutely wasted votes. Ed learned his lesson from when he supported Nader. He actually called Nader in 2008 and explained to him why he couldn't lend his support anymore, and was sorry, but realizes that his support has to go towards the democrats in order to keep the republicans out of office. I don't think he'll.ever take that risk again if it means that people like Bush or Romney end up winning. And he doesn't hate Obama like you do, so obviously doesn't see it in the same way as you.

Did I say I hate Obama? No I did not. As for your argument of keeping the Repubs out of office? If in order to do that you have to continue the republican policies - what the hell is the point?! Calling the third party a wasted vote makes you complicit in "having no better option".

The best Obama could do when it comes to the NDAA is to not sign it and void it by executive order if necessary. You're talking about the right to kill American citizens without trial here ,not rocket science. Same with the extension of the Patriot Act - how is that "doing the best he can"?
    I don't think the dems are the same as the republicans. Not even close. Yeah, I can say it no other way. I think Obama has done the very best he could with what he has to work with (and against). I understand that you don't agree.
    Sorry, you called Obama a mass murderer - I assumed that meant that you hate him.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't think the dems are the same as the republicans. Not even close. Yeah, I can say it no other way. I think Obama has done the very best he could with what he has to work with (and against). I understand that you don't agree.
    Sorry, you called Obama a mass murderer - I assumed that meant that you hate him.

Three separate posts of mine have illustrated the "republican" (Really, neo-conservative warhawking) legacy polices Obama has continued. Three of your posts have ignored these extremely specific arguments. I would really appreciate for you to comment on these policies and how they jive up with your interpretation of the freedom loving democrat party when they are all taking away the rights of the average american citizen and increasing the rate and amount of bombs dropped on those in the Middle East. Please instead of being vague and sidestepping let me know where you stand on these specific issues and why continuing these policies was the best he could do.

Right now you are coming off as uninformed and kind of a democratic yes man. Maybe once you explain it to me I can see Eds line of thinking
  • Options
    BantBant Millinowhere, ME Posts: 506
    gibbits wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Three separate posts of mine have illustrated the "republican" (Really, neo-conservative warhawking) legacy polices Obama has continued. Three of your posts have ignored these extremely specific arguments. I would really appreciate for you to comment on these policies and how they jive up with your interpretation of the freedom loving democrat party when they are all taking away the rights of the average american citizen and increasing the rate and amount of bombs dropped on those in the Middle East. Please instead of being vague and sidestepping let me know where you stand on these three issues and why continuing these policies was the best he could do.

Right now you are coming off as uninformed and kind of a democratic yes man.

Your first problem is arguing with someone who believes in the false dichotomy.
    9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
  • Options
    gibbits wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Three separate posts of mine have illustrated the "republican" (Really, neo-conservative warhawking) legacy polices Obama has continued. Three of your posts have ignored these extremely specific arguments. I would really appreciate for you to comment on these policies and how they jive up with your interpretation of the freedom loving democrat party when they are all taking away the rights of the average american citizen and increasing the rate and amount of bombs dropped on those in the Middle East. Please instead of being vague and sidestepping let me know where you stand on these specific issues and why continuing these policies was the best he could do.

Right now you are coming off as uninformed and kind of a democratic yes man. Maybe once you explain it to me I can see Eds line of thinking
    Yeah I know I haven't gone into it - I thought that my "I disagree" was enough. Even if it isn't enough for you, that's okay. Because I'm actually very informed but I'm just not interested in the discussion, because we're supposed to be talking about ed performing at an Obama fund raiser. I figure discussions about your points are for A Moving Train. I don't come to the Porch to talk about this, so I'm just not into it. So basically, yeah, I know what you're saying, that stuff doesn't piss me off as much as it does you because I'm more of a realist when it comes to such political decisions, particularly when it comes to security issues and the best actions in war time, although I do see the problems too. I also think you are spewing the republican line, and seem to be forgetting about shit like the wars ending or winding down under Obama. Anyway, i just am not in the mood to get into it - again, a moving train. But anyway, yeah, I hear what you're saying; I still think he's doing the best he can in a shitty situation. You disagree. :)

I wonder what Ed will play at this thing? Any political shit I wonder?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yeah I know I haven't gone into it - I thought that my "I disagree" was enough. Even if it isn't enough for you, that's okay. Because I'm actually very informed but I'm just not interested in the discussion, because we're supposed to be talking about ed performing at an Obama fund raiser. I figure discussions about your points are for A Moving Train. I don't come to the Porch to talk about this, so I'm just not into it. So basically, yeah, I know what you're saying, that stuff doesn't piss me off as much as it does you because I'm more of a realist when it comes to such political decisions, particularly when it comes to security issues, although I do see the problems; just am not in the mood to get into it - again, a moving train. But anyway, yeah, I hear what you're saying; I still think he's doing the best he can in a shitty situation. You disagree. :)

Excellent points, your arguments are made of steel. (Very weak dude, but exactly what I was expecting.) You must be very young, you'll figure it out :) As for me spewing the republican line, I shit talked Bush in my first post and advocated third parties and independents. You sir are trapped in the left right paradigm. You equate disagreement with your ideals to "being republican". That is fucked up shit! (No wars ended under Obama, he called the combat troops in iraq "noncombat" and upped the levels of PMCs greatly)
    Post edited by gibbits on
  • Options
    Bant wrote:
    gibbits wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Three separate posts of mine have illustrated the "republican" (Really, neo-conservative warhawking) legacy polices Obama has continued. Three of your posts have ignored these extremely specific arguments. I would really appreciate for you to comment on these policies and how they jive up with your interpretation of the freedom loving democrat party when they are all taking away the rights of the average american citizen and increasing the rate and amount of bombs dropped on those in the Middle East. Please instead of being vague and sidestepping let me know where you stand on these three issues and why continuing these policies was the best he could do.

Right now you are coming off as uninformed and kind of a democratic yes man.

:lol: I have not said enough for you to know what I believe.
  • Options
    gibbits wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yeah I know I haven't gone into it - I thought that my "I disagree" was enough. Even if it isn't enough for you, that's okay. Because I'm actually very informed but I'm just not interested in the discussion, because we're supposed to be talking about ed performing at an Obama fund raiser. I figure discussions about your points are for A Moving Train. I don't come to the Porch to talk about this, so I'm just not into it. So basically, yeah, I know what you're saying, that stuff doesn't piss me off as much as it does you because I'm more of a realist when it comes to such political decisions, particularly when it comes to security issues, although I do see the problems; just am not in the mood to get into it - again, a moving train. But anyway, yeah, I hear what you're saying; I still think he's doing the best he can in a shitty situation. You disagree. :)

Excellent points, your arguments are made of steel. (Very weak dude, but exactly what I was expecting.) You must be very young, you'll figure it out :)
    I'm 36. And I really didn't make any arguments at all. I'm simply refusing to really engage. I think that's okay. Honestly i'm barely giving what i'm saying any thought because i don't care about this conversation. I really just came here to talk about Ed performing, not about why Obama sucks ot not. Sounds like someone is itching for a heated debate though! Sorry, i'm not the one today. Seriously! A Moving Train! ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Bant wrote:

Actually, you have said more than enough. You are very transparent.
    9/13/1998 - 9/15/1998 - 8/29/2000 - 7/2/2003 - 7/3/2003 - 7/11/2003 - 9/28/2004 - 9/28/2005 - 5/13/2006 - 5/27/2006 - 6/1/2006 - 6/28/2008 - 6/30/2008 - 5/17/2010 - 10/25/2013
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'm 36. And I really didn't make any arguments at all. I'm simply refusing to really engage. I think that's okay. Honestly i'm barely giving what i'm saying any thought because i don't care about this conversation. I really just came here to talk about Ed performing, not about why Obama sucks ot not. Sounds like someone is itching for a heated debate though! Sorry, i'm not the one today. Seriously! A Moving Train! ;)

The difference between me being able to accept your point of view and Eds is that he did the opposite of refusing to engage. He engaged these exact topics for eight years and how refuses to acknowledge that this is a direct conflict with those ideals.
  • Options
    gibbits wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Excellent points, your arguments are made of steel. (Very weak dude, but exactly what I was expecting.) You must be very young, you'll figure it out :) As for me spewing the republican line, I shit talked Bush in my first post and advocated third parties and independents. You sir are trapped in the left right paradigm. You equate disagreement with your ideals to "being republican". That is fucked up shit! (No wars ended under Obama, he called the combat troops in iraq "noncombat" and upped the levels of PMCs greatly)
    :lol: you are reading WAY too into what I'm saying! I think a few of the things you mentioned sounded like the republican line, that's all. Other than that, I really haven't made any arguments. I think Obama's okay, and actually also think that he's done fine in the wars that he inherited. Whatever man - I hear you. I just don't care about discussing it right now. Pretty tired. Didn't mean to lead you on and make you think I was willing to have a serious discussion right now. Sorry.
    I'm female btw.
  • Options
    Bant wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Bant wrote:

:roll: obviously not. You have no clue and are way off base. I have said basically NOTHING! :lol: You and Gibbits have totally jumped to conclusion when i've provided no info at all! i hope you don't always jump to conclusions so quickly and with so little info to go on!
    I don't care if you assume though. It just means you're walking around with incorrect assumptions, which is no skin off my back.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :roll: obviously not. You have no clue and are way off base. I have said basically NOTHING! :lol: i hope you don't always jump to conclusions so quickly and with soittle info to go on!
    I don't care if you assume though. It just means you're walking around with incorrect assumptions, which is no skin off my back.

I think he means explicitly where you called third parties and independents wastes of votes while simultaneously insisting you had no option but to vote for one of the two major parties. If you consider a party or candidate a waste of a vote outright regardless of their positions its fair to assume you didn't even look into them. After all, they're a waste.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Bant wrote:
    :roll: obviously not. You have no clue and are way off base. I have said basically NOTHING! :lol: You and Gibbits have totally jumped to conclusion when i've provided no info at all! i hope you don't always jump to conclusions so quickly and with so little info to go on!

You wrote the response below and are now going to say you don't believe in the false dichotomy? :nono:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Nope, because that is the way of the world. I ALWAYS vote for the best of not great, because that is the only option, since politics are a nasty, cut throat business, and until there is another option, it's better to vote for the better side than not to vote, and better to show support for the one you feel best about supporting..

Like I said you are VERY transparent.
  • Options
    gibbits wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

The difference between me being able to accept your point of view and Eds is that he did the opposite of refusing to engage. He engaged these exact topics for eight years and how refuses to acknowledge that this is a direct conflict with those ideals.
    Yeah, fair enough. It's true, he does engage... but I dunno... rely I guess we'd have to actually hear from Ed why he supports Obama. I mean, it could very well be that more things that he does please Ed than displease him. It's notike we can expect perfection (to say the least). So maybe he thinks Obama should have dealt with the wars differently, but also that he's by far the best choice when it comes to environment and women's health issues, etc etc. At any rate, I would never think that anyone supporting Romney is doing something shameful, even though I think Romney is rather horrible, because I understand that people just have very diffent ways of thinking about the same things.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,938
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I guess we'd have to actually hear from Ed why he supports Obama. I mean, it could very well be that more things that he does please Ed than displease him.

Good idea PJ!

Why crucify the poor guy before we know what he has in mind? It amazes me how a guy like Eddie Vedder can go from being a pop hero to being villainized by the same people who worship him!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    gibbits wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :roll: obviously not. You have no clue and are way off base. I have said basically NOTHING! :lol: i hope you don't always jump to conclusions so quickly and with soittle info to go on!

I think he means explicitly where you called third parties and independents wastes of votes while simultaneously insisting you had no option but to vote for one of the two major parties. If you consider a party or candidate a waste of a vote outright regardless of their positions its fair to assume you didn't even look into them. After all, they're a waste.
    Bullshit. I do look at all parties, and have vote d for the green party in the past. But in today's political climate, I don't feel like I can afford to do that any more. However, I make a point of knowing about all parties, both in Canada and the US, because i want to know all of the ideas that are out there. I'm a pretty open minded person, but right now in the US, there are oy two parties worth voting for right now, because voting for the others have, very unfortunately, been rendered useless. And honestly, having more may not be the answer. I am Canadian, and we have 4 major parties plus the green party and independents, and it's a total shit show. Since after the last time I voted green, I've voted NDP, which is the major left party... before that, I voted liberal, the centre party... anyway, Canada's been through .minority governments, which are practically useless, and now we're stuck with the conservatives, who are disgusting and do shit like muzzle scientists and close Iranian embassies without explanation, while selling off our natural resources to hina for a fast buck with no consideration of our future. And we're stuck with them because three of the four major parties split the vote, making it so that oy 30% of our country decided the majority federal government. It doesn't work any better than a two party system. It's actually just made it so that a smaller minority pi is the government, while the majority is opposed. And that SUCKS.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Bant wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Bant wrote:

You wrote the response below and are now going to say you don't believe in the false dichotomy? :nono:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Nope, because that is the way of the world. I ALWAYS vote for the best of not great, because that is the only option, since politics are a nasty, cut throat business, and until there is another option, it's better to vote for the better side than not to vote, and better to show support for the one you feel best about supporting..

Like I said you are VERY transparent.
    No I'm not - you still have no clue what I think. You're just reading what I said and applying your own interpretation and assumptions without having the necessary info to develop an informed opinion, because I have purposefully excluded any relevant info due to my indifference in the conversation. :D but yeah, you'll think what you think. I guess I don't really care what you think if me. I don't know you, just as you don't know me.
  • Options
    Do yourself a favor and go to the article and read some of the comments. :lol:

beat me to it! people are hilarious
    "We're heavily Hemingway inspired." -ed
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    what is he going to play at this thing? nobody there is going to get into any PJ songs.. 'patriot' no longer applies.. nor does 'the times they are a' changin'..
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    No I'm not - you still have no clue what I think. You're just reading what I said and applying your own interpretation and assumptions without having the necessary info to develop an informed opinion, because I have purposefully excluded any relevant info due to my indifference in the conversation. :D but yeah, you'll think what you think. I guess I don't really care what you think if me. I don't know you, just as you don't know me.

I'm sorry I took what you wrote literally. :roll:

Here is a tip for next time. Say what you mean and mean what you say or don't say anything at all. That way we will all be on the same page.
  • Options
    DPrival78 wrote:
    what is he going to play at this thing? nobody there is going to get into any PJ songs.. 'patriot' no longer applies.. nor does 'the times they are a' changin'..
    I'm thinking just a lot of songs from his solo albums plus some random covers.
  • Options
    DPrival78 wrote:

No more? oh wait...... :fp:
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,755
    DPrival78 wrote:

I would say Green Disease followed by Fucking Up. :P I wonder how many songs will Ed get to play at this event. And wonder if any of those rich folks attending this shindig will be able to record Ed's set and share it to the YouTube audience.
  • Options
    DPrival78 wrote:

He should only do Arc and just freak everyone out :lol:
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    demetrios wrote:
    DPrival78 wrote:

I would say Green Disease followed by Fucking Up. :P I wonder how many songs will Ed get to play at this event. And wonder if any of those rich folks attending this shindig will be able to record Ed's set and share it to the YouTube audience.

More importantly....who is going to relay the set list to the thread runner? ;)
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    brianlux wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    Oh, shit. If this news makes it's way over to AMT, look out! :lol:

It's heating up and hasn't even made it to AMT yet! :|
    This news would hardly raise an eyebrow on AMT. This is where the action is.

:corn:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,459
    Jason P wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    brianlux wrote:
    Oh, shit. If this news makes it's way over to AMT, look out! :lol:

It's heating up and hasn't even made it to AMT yet! :|
    This news would hardly raise an eyebrow on AMT. This is where the action is.

:corn:
    i was thinking the same thing...its gonna be hard rock this one
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2012
    Hey gibbits, thanks for the legwork...

You shouldn't have to explain yourself or my "shameful" comment.

I watched a video the other day of an interview with Jeff at the MIA festival where he says something like "I'm pretty sure were all voting for O-bomb-A" I sat there and thought....... WHY? What happened to no more war, what happened to unemployable, what happened to bombs dropping down, what happened to having more yet taking more, freedoms big plunge and etc? Then I started singing this:

I remember when you sang
    That song about hope and change
    Now it's tomorrow and
    absolutely nothing has changed
    hope and change change change
    hope and change change change
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    Do yourself a favor and go to the article and read some of the comments. :lol:
    holy sh*t! i thought you guys were crazy ;)
    apart from the Eddie cracks (bum, has been etc) the viciousness of their fighting was impressive! :nono: :fp:
    this is the exact reason when i bar tended i had a strict no politics, no religion rule.
    Sh*t gets heated!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    Besides the fact that the cost for this fundraiser is incredibly high, why are you all so upset about this? Ed has supported candidates for president before!

In fact, PJ supported Obama the first time around. Stone even wrote that silly song. :oops: :P

Sometimes, I think there's too much negativity around here!! :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&