Options

Jury Duty

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Simple as that. We all get that right, we all have to serve when needed. Hassle for sure at time but almost as old as our country
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    had to report for jury duty yesterday. showed up at 830 and had to stay until 430.

were probably 500 people there who were forced to report. I was one of 36 selected for a civil case. of the 36, 12 would be selected to sit on the jury for this case. the judge estimated the case would take a week (I was NOT happy when I heard this!!). Case was a bunch of stone masons who were suing each other. Seemed like a bunch of rocket scientists, which made my being there even less appealing (as if that was possible).

They began interviewing potential jurors around 10 AM. I was juror 32 of 36, so I was at the end of the line. Around 3 PM they stopped interviewing at juror 26, so I was not selected to sit on the trial. Thank god.

All in all it was a complete waste of my time. I was stuck in a room the entire day. Not allowed to make phone calls or use my laptop to send emails. I'm just glad it's over. Hopefully I never have to do that again.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Simple as that. We all get that right, we all have to serve when needed. Hassle for sure at time but almost as old as our country

Just because something is old doesn't make it good. There have to be better ways to work this system. One of the guys selected to sit on the trial was livid that he was picked. Kinda funny since I got out of it.

I'm telling you what...I was so frustrated that I had to be there I felt like if I was picked I was going to push for guilty. Wrong, but that's how I felt.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just because something is old doesn't make it good. There have to be better ways to work this system. One of the guys selected to sit on the trial was livid that he was picked. Kinda funny since I got out of it.

I'm telling you what...I was so frustrated that I had to be there I felt like if I was picked I was going to push for guilty. Wrong, but that's how I felt.

I agree, but the right to a fair trial by a jury of your peers is not one that is out of date. It's the foundation of our system. Not sure how that can be argued. Just because things are a hassle, it does not make them wrong.

What sense does that make? Expecially since it was a civil trial?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree, but the right to a fair trial by a jury of your peers is not one that is out of date. It's the foundation of our system. Not sure how that can be argued. Just because things are a hassle, it does not make them wrong.

What sense does that make? Expecially since it was a civil trial?

I was already biased against whoever filed the lawsuit and forced me to be there. I was all ready to say this to the judge during my interview

anyway, I'm glad it's over with. In PA I am only excused for a year and a day.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The Fixer wrote:
    I was already biased against whoever filed the lawsuit and forced me to be there. I was all ready to say this to the judge during my interview

Well luckily you weren't picked then, but I guess I just don't see this line of thinking. If you were arrested or owed money and had a trial, I'd imagine you would want a jury that takes the case seriously and doesn't look at it like a complete hassle, right?

While I don't agree with many of the drug laws in this country nor the number of people we have in jail, I think that everyone's right to a just trial is pretty much the foundation of who we are, whether it is a pain in the ass or not. Does it suck? Sure, probably at times, but there are responsbilities we have as citizens and this is by far one of, if not the most important one.

While not monetarily, this seems to be the same type of thing you have a problem with. You want the right to a fair trial, but don't want to contribute to our justice system, no?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The Fixer wrote:
    Man, this is just sad.

Out of curiosity, would it have made a difference if it were another type of case?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    Wow. I'm kind of shocked at the lack of a sense of civic duty.... We should all be happy to be part of a system where we're innocent until proven guilty by a jury of our peers. I would consider serving on a jury an honour.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Well luckily you weren't picked then, but I guess I just don't see this line of thinking. If you were arrested or owed money and had a trial, I'd imagine you would want a jury that takes the case seriously and doesn't look at it like a complete hassle, right?

While I don't agree with many of the drug laws in this country nor the number of people we have in jail, I think that everyone's right to a just trial is pretty much the foundation of who we are, whether it is a pain in the ass or not. Does it suck? Sure, probably at times, but there are responsbilities we have as citizens and this is by far one of, if not the most important one.

While not monetarily, this seems to be the same type of thing you have a problem with. You want the right to a fair trial, but don't want to contribute to our justice system, no?

to your first question...of course, I'd want the jurors to take it seriously. I was willing to act like an ass to get out of a weeklong jail sentence, which is what I would have considered being stuck at jury duty to be.

Yeah, I have no desire to contribute to the justice system. other than, ya know, the taxes I pay which pay the salaries of everyone in my municipality. Another idea would be to give people the option to buy out their jury duty time. I'd happily pay to not have to attend that shit. After all, is someone who really doesn't want to be there gonna be fair in their evaluation of a case?
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Man, this is just sad.

Out of curiosity, would it have made a difference if it were another type of case?

not sure why it's sad

hard to say. your question, much like your initial statement, is inexplicit
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

to your first question...of course, I'd want the jurors to take it seriously. I was willing to act like an ass to get out of a weeklong jail sentence, which is what I would have considered being stuck at jury duty to be.

Yeah, I have no desire to contribute to the justice system. other than, ya know, the taxes I pay which pay the salaries of everyone in my municipality. Another idea would be to give people the option to buy out their jury duty time. I'd happily pay to not have to attend that shit. After all, is someone who really doesn't want to be there gonna be fair in their evaluation of a case?

I think taxes are fairly irrelevant in this situation. The way our system works is that everyone contributes to the justice system with their time here and there and everyone is entitled to a fair trail if they need it. You sound exactly like the shit you rail against. You feel you deserve and have the right to a government benefit, a fair trial buy a jury of your peers, while you don't feel the need to contribute your end of that, a day once every couple years to potentially serve on a jury. It's exactly the same shit you talk shit about just not with money. You don't feel like people who don't pay taxes to the system have a right to welfare since they don't contribute anything to it. How is that any different?
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm biased in my opinion.

You don't say.
    I hate being told what to do...especially by the govt.

I'm picturing you running around Willy Wonka's candy factory belting out "I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW."

there should be more stringent requirements that people must fulfill in order to obtain govt assistance (volunteer work, jury duty, drug testing, etc)

OK... so you like it when OTHER people are told what to do by the government.. just not you. Got it.

(btw... drug testing anyone on any kind of public assistance would cost about as much as the war.)
  • Options
    All that I've learned is that there are some blithering little cry babies who really don't deserve to be American and if we want to make the country a better place, we should deport them to Somalia where they can have that "government-free" place they dream about. See how long they last.

If you're too freaking lazy to lift a finger to help the country actually work... you really don't deserve to reap the benefits of living here.

If you want to live in a country where there is a legal system to stop someone from breaking in your house, attacking your family, taking your things and killing you.. Well, sadly you're going to have to take part in keeping it going.

It's so sad to me that my husband has done more for your country that you have, most likely, and he can't even get a green card.
  • Options
    But... I'm curious...

If you were to get very sick and were unable to work... if you were injured in an accident or just got laid off from your job...

THEN do you think you should have to serve on juries and succumb to drug testing and have to clean up the trash next to the highway?

Or would you whine about THAT, too?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    I agree with Prince of Dorkness.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think taxes are fairly irrelevant in this situation. The way our system works is that everyone contributes to the justice system with their time here and there and everyone is entitled to a fair trail if they need it. You sound exactly like the shit you rail against. You feel you deserve and have the right to a government benefit, a fair trial buy a jury of your peers, while you don't feel the need to contribute your end of that, a day once every couple years to potentially serve on a jury. It's exactly the same shit you talk shit about just not with money. You don't feel like people who don't pay taxes to the system have a right to welfare since they don't contribute anything to it. How is that any different?

I said I'd happily contribute to the judicial system monetarily if it meant I didn't have to waste my time on jury duty.

I'd much rather just go to work. Let me opt out and pay a fee/submit a donation to my local municipality. I would do so without reservation

why don't famous/upper class people ever have to serve jury duty? I'm far from rich or famous but I'd gladly pay to get out of that shit. Just having the option would be nice...there were plenty of people there on monday who were happy to be out of work for the day.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    why don't famous/upper class people ever have to serve jury duty?

Uh... they do.

did you take a poll and ask how much everyone makes?
  • Options
    All that I've learned is that there are some blithering little cry babies who really don't deserve to be American and if we want to make the country a better place, we should deport them to Somalia where they can have that "government-free" place they dream about. See how long they last.

If you're too freaking lazy to lift a finger to help the country actually work... you really don't deserve to reap the benefits of living here.

If you want to live in a country where there is a legal system to stop someone from breaking in your house, attacking your family, taking your things and killing you.. Well, sadly you're going to have to take part in keeping it going.

It's so sad to me that my husband has done more for your country that you have, most likely, and he can't even get a green card.

Yep, I'm too lazy because I would rather work than sit in a room all day. Good call :roll:

The name calling is cute. I will help you sound less dumb...crybabies is one word. If you're going to attempt to offend someone the least you could do is use proper grammar.

Do us all a 'favour' and go back to canada. It would be a pleasure if your asinine commentary disappeared.

Good luck with the green card stuff. I'll be voting GOP to help you out.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Yep, I'm too lazy because I would rather work than sit in a room all day. Good call :roll:

Sorry, but taking part in keeping the country going is also work. Clearly, you're only willing to do things if it helps you personally. I stand by the "too lazy."
    If you're going to attempt to offend someone the least you could do is use proper grammar.

THAT is attempting to offend someone? Oh bud, that's just stating the obvious. There's no need to attempt to offend someone if they get upset when you just hold up a mirror and tell them to look at it.
    Do us all a 'favour' and go back to canada. It would be a pleasure if your asinine commentary disappeared.

Yeah. Because there are no Canadians who post on this forum.
    Good luck with the green card stuff. I'll be voting GOP to help you out.

Oh please. You don't vote. People who are too busy throwing hissy fits that they have to "do something for the government" don't vote.