Astorians with tickets

Comments

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Oh stoney was channel hopping last night and cribs was Jerry's ranch in Oklahoma that he has built with his Dad. He has adopted Layne's cat Sadie.

I've been travelling back ten years the last couple of weeks and listening to a lot of Blind Melon, Lemonheads and Jeff Buckley mainly as well as some more recent stuff.

EDIT: stoney I've also been listening to The American Recordings I-V is that what you are talking about?
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    redrock wrote:
    Dave's discovered Jerry???? Yey!!!!! :D

Yeah I gave him copies of both his albums, I think it was both, when I went to stay with him for the Who show :D

Chime - Yeah someone on a Jerry board is supposed to be sending me that episode. :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    You liking Jerry Cantrell then Dave?

I've been listening to lots of anything lately. Quite a bit of Springsteen recently, and Johnny Cash.
    Alice in Chains is also getting a work out :D

Degradation Trip especially..... :D:D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    YAY!! I'm more into Boggy Depot at the moment but either album is good!

Right I've got some work to do. Will be back later :D xxxxxxxxxxxx
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
    well amazingly similar tastes Dave :)

i've been on The Who, Radiohead, Strokes, Chilis, Razorlight, Wolfmother, White Stripes, Raconteurs... definitely Dave, dont you think its one of the best things Jacks done... i fuckin love the actual title track... its got a great Tomorrow Never Knows kinda vibe...

its been my favourite album of this year by far... after PJ of course :)

but it is genuinely great from start to finish!!!!

Dave... any thoughts on My Morning Jacket? and what are Drive By Truckers like? i've heard about them, but not actually them...

p.s. when are we all gonna have another Astoria night... ????

edit: On the Jack thing, it's up there but I was just so blown away the first time I heard White Stripes I don't think I could say it's the best... It was one of those where I had the entire back catalogue within a week experiences... :o Hands sounds like mid sixties Beatles, something off Revolver or Rubber Soul trying to work out which track, She Said, She Said perhaps? just something in the vocal harmonies...

MMJ? I've got the last album which is really rather good too not heard any others but definately recommend Z, Drive By Truckers are southern rock, again only got one album:Southern Rock Opera (about the mighty Skynyrd) which is pretty good.

Razorlight is on order, as it Thom Yorke, getting new Who EP / single whatsit on Monday, new Muse is great :D

Astoria night? dunno... could do tomorrow or Sunday but will be a couple of weeks then... how's everyone fixed? should get one in before Dublin... :o :cool:
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    YAY!! I'm more into Boggy Depot at the moment but either album is good!

Right I've got some work to do. Will be back later :D xxxxxxxxxxxx

Not given it enough air time yet... must catch up on my homework... ;)
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    Chime wrote:
    Oh stoney was channel hopping last night and cribs was Jerry's ranch in Oklahoma that he has built with his Dad. He has adopted Layne's cat Sadie.

I've been travelling back ten years the last couple of weeks and listening to a lot of Blind Melon, Lemonheads and Jeff Buckley mainly as well as some more recent stuff.

EDIT: stoney I've also been listening to The American Recordings I-V is that what you are talking about?

Blind FUCKING Melon!!!!! now there's a band :D:D:D have been listening to a bit of them recently too, both BM & Soup, love em :D:D
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    UKDave wrote:
    MMJ? I've got the last album which is really rather good too not heard any others but definately recommend Z, Drive By Truckers are southern rock, again only got one album:Southern Rock Opera (about the mighty Skynyrd) which is pretty good.

Razorlight is on order, as it Thom Yorke, getting new Who EP / single whatsit on Monday, new Muse is great :D

Astoria night? dunno... could do tomorrow or Sunday but will be a couple of weeks then... how's everyone fixed? should get one in before Dublin... :o :cool:

you've sold me on Drive by truckers... i fookin love Southern Rock!!!

Muse.. how could i forget how much i love this at the moment... I even got my Muse tickets bought today for the Glasgow show in November :cool: to celebrate i went out at lunch and bought the Absolution DVD... she'll kill me... until i tell her i bought her a ticket as well.. she loves them :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Chime wrote:
    Well keep me updated ;):p

Nope sorry I'm a girl :o (Sometimes it's useful to have stereotypes)

Sometimes I do ........... and ............. sometimes I don't :p

I am and that's all I need to know :) Apart from a venue of course :o (EDIT: Venue sorted thanks feisty Hells)

Hmm my dog loved you blowing in her face she would lap at the air :o

Hope I didn't keep you :o

:p

wow... i'm impressed... and i'm not easily impressed

*shouts* look!!!! theres a bin bag floating in the sky.... cooooooo-uuuullll *stands in awe*

sometimes you dont get me??? really? i thought all my posts made total sense and it was all you lots posts that didnt!!! must check this out!! after i've finished decorating my monitor in rice krispies... tum tee tum tum da dee
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    you've sold me on Drive by truckers... i fookin love Southern Rock!!!

Muse.. how could i forget how much i love this at the moment... I even got my Muse tickets bought today for the Glasgow show in November :cool: to celebrate i went out at lunch and bought the Absolution DVD... she'll kill me... until i tell her i bought her a ticket as well.. she loves them :)

I'm seeing them in Birmingham.... :D:D 3 gigs lined up for November already!!!
    Flaming Lips, Muse & Weller :D:D

There's some info on DBT in the Other Music section, couple of better albums I think..
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    UKDave wrote:
    edit: On the Jack thing, it's up there but I was just so blown away the first time I heard White Stripes I don't think I could say it's the best... It was one of those where I had the entire back catalogue within a week experiences... :o Hands sounds like mid sixties Beatles, something off Revolver or Rubber Soul trying to work out which track, She Said, She Said perhaps? just something in the vocal harmonies...

you're right... White Stripes was an epiphany sort of musical moment for me... i saw them on some weird late channel 4 sorta music show... just made me stop eating.. which is a good sign.... i couldnt get how this one bloke and an intermediate drummer at best, could make something so fucking primal... whenever i watch the Blackpool DVD i get goosebumps at certain moments.. and the Jolene cover is just 'A'

Hands.... hmmmm..... reminds me of Rain by the beatles, which is Revolver era isnt it? but the harmonies are excellent throughout the album.

so go and buy it kids... me and dave recommend it!!!! ;)
    UKDave wrote:
    Blind FUCKING Melon!!!!! now there's a band :D:D:D have been listening to a bit of them recently too, both BM & Soup, love em :D:D

Yay :D:D:D

I love Blind Melon SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. Have to say in the early nineties they definately ranked along side Pearl Jam for me. Do you have Nico?

I was living in Indiana when Shannon died :(
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    ok kids , i'm out ! see u on the Flipside ;) XXX
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
    you're right... White Stripes was an epiphany sort of musical moment for me... i saw them on some weird late channel 4 sorta music show... just made me stop eating.. which is a good sign.... i couldnt get how this one bloke and an intermediate drummer at best, could make something so fucking primal... whenever i watch the Blackpool DVD i get goosebumps at certain moments.. and the Jolene cover is just 'A'

Hands.... hmmmm..... reminds me of Rain by the beatles, which is Revolver era isnt it? but the harmonies are excellent throughout the album.

so go and buy it kids... me and dave recommend it!!!! ;)

I think it was Elephant that hooked me, didn't know about them until then...

Rain is Revolver era yeah, was a b-side wasn't it? It's not that I'm thinking of though... It's bugging me, will have to investigate tonight... :o
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I don't know Blind Melon at all.

Do you know sigur ros Dave? They're my band of the moment - I can only cope with one new one every few weeks :D

Bye V :( chat ya tomorrow.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    Chime wrote:
    Yay :D:D:D

I love Blind Melon SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. Have to say in the early nineties they definately ranked along side Pearl Jam for me. Do you have Nico?

I was living in Indiana when Shannon died :(

No, not got Nico... loved the first album, then for some reason I didn't get into Soup when I first bought it... now love it!! :D:D

Wasn't he mates with Axl?
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    UKDave wrote:
    I think it was Elephant that hooked me, didn't know about them until then...

Rain is Revolver era yeah, was a b-side wasn't it? It's not that I'm thinking of though... It's bugging me, will have to investigate tonight... :o

I got it!!!!!!

She said she said... whatcha think??

or is it... i want to tell you... :confused:
    I don't know Blind Melon at all.

Do you know sigur ros Dave? They're my band of the moment - I can only cope with one new one every few weeks :D

Bye V :( chat ya tomorrow.

Sigur Ros is one of those I've heard of and seen the name around a lot but not listened to... I can't cope with my music at the moment :( far too much to listen to... nice problem to have though :)
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    I got it!!!!!!

She said she said... whatcha think??

or is it... i want to tell you... :confused:

I thought it was She said, she said, that's what I suggested but not gone back and listened to it yet... will check it tonight!! ;):D
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    UKDave wrote:
    No, not got Nico... loved the first album, then for some reason I didn't get into Soup when I first bought it... now love it!! :D:D

Wasn't he mates with Axl?

I don't know if I remember it correctly but think Axl was friends with Shannon's sister and had Shannon sing backing on some stuff :confused:

Helen if you get a chance to listen to them I would definately recommend it. Shannon has a great voice and wrote some amazing lyrics.

No Rain is the most famous song so the one you are most likely to have heard (not their best though ;))

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watchin' the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    and speak my point of view
    But it's not sane, It's not sane

I just want some one to say to me
    I'll always be there when you wake
    Ya know I'd like to keep my cheeks dry today
    So stay with me and I'll have it made

And I don't understand why I sleep all day
    And I start to complain that there's no rain
    And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
    And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape
    escape......escape......escape......

ya don't like my point of view
    ya think I'm insane
    Its not sane......it's not sane
    Chime wrote:
    I don't know if I remember it correctly but think Axl was friends with Shannon's sister and had Shannon sing backing on some stuff :confused:

Helen if you get a chance to listen to them I would definately recommend it. Shannon has a great voice and wrote some amazing lyrics.

No Rain is the most famous song so the one you are most likely to have heard (not their best though ;))

I like watchin' the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    and speak my point of view
    But it's not sane, It's not sane

I just want some one to say to me
    I'll always be there when you wake
    Ya know I'd like to keep my cheeks dry today
    So stay with me and I'll have it made

And I don't understand why I sleep all day
    And I start to complain that there's no rain
    And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
    And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape
    escape......escape......escape......

ya don't like my point of view
    ya think I'm insane
    Its not sane......it's not sane

With the bee girl dancing in the video :D:D
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    UKDave wrote:
    I thought it was She said, she said, that's what I suggested but not gone back and listened to it yet... will check it tonight!! ;):D

oops.. just re-read it and noticed thats whats you suggested..

went over it in my head, but even with all the voices in my head i couldnt get them all to do the vocal harmonies at the same time :rolleyes:
    oops.. just re-read it and noticed thats whats you suggested..

went over it in my head, but even with all the voices in my head i couldnt get them all to do the vocal harmonies at the same time :rolleyes:

A bit crammed in there is it?!! :D

So - million dollar question: Rubber Soul or Revolver?

I've been Rubber Soul for years but I'm wavering... :o
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    UKDave wrote:
    Sigur Ros is one of those I've heard of and seen the name around a lot but not listened to... I can't cope with my music at the moment :( far too much to listen to... nice problem to have though :)

Yep, nice problem indeed :) I know what ya mean... well when you're ready to move on, buy ( ) . It's just beautiful.

Chime I'll check them out thanks, what do I have to buy? Did I not read somewhere that Shannon was Axl's brother or something? :o Lol maybe completely wrong there.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    UKDave wrote:
    A bit crammed in there is it?!! :D

So - million dollar question: Rubber Soul or Revolver?

I've been Rubber Soul for years but I'm wavering... :o

I cant decide... i chop and change, but probably Revolver for me... although nothing beats Abbey Road for me :cool:
    Chime I'll check them out thanks, what do I have to buy? Did I not read somewhere that Shannon was Axl's brother or something? :o Lol maybe completely wrong there.

Sure you can have a listen in HMV or something.

Their first album is Blind Melon and I probably listen to it most and then they had Soup. They were working on stuff when Shannon died and this together with some outtakes and covers became Nico (named after his daughter :().

I think there is a Best of and a Classic but I haven't got either :o

I think they were friend's not brothers :o Shannon definately did backing vocals for Axl though.

EDIT:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Hoon
    Yep checked Axl was friend's with Shannon's sister. They are both from Lafayette, Indiana
    Chime wrote:

Their first album is Blind Melon and I probably listen to it most and then they had Soup.

Got Holyman dancing around my head now.... :D:D :cool:

edit: oooh!! and Tones Of Home.... :D
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    UKDave wrote:
    Got Holyman dancing around my head now.... :D:D :cool:

Reading that gave me the 'Holyman, you righteous man' bit and had me bopping in my chair but I find reading the lyrics kick starts the internal jukebox sooooooooo

I was born on the banks off a hot muddy river
    The child of one stupid steamy night
    Born to roam beneath the sun
    What do you think of me, I'm better left alone
    I met a Holyman that said that he knew the way
    And he'd like to show me so my life won't go astray
    Take my hand child now little boy don't you be afraid
    I'll take your soul and walk on water
    Holyman, ya don't understand
    The cuts on me they run much deeper
    Holyman, you righteous man
    I've been shown the way a thousand times
    Not one a keeper
    Older man he said I'll tell you boy
    You've planted rotten seeds
    And in a land of happiness
    They'll grow us evil trees
    Guided minds, and eyes that will never see
    Holyman I'll tell you
    Just what it is that I believe
    Holyman I tell you man you gotta
    Believe in what you see
    Cause its you that corrupt us man and
    Deep throat philosophy
    I don't need your spells or the little
    Games you try to pull on me
    Come to think of it I don't need your religion
    Gotta get away
    I wish you would understand
    Everybody prays
    Let me find my own way

EDIT: and tones of home :D:D:D it's Blind Melon on the CD player as soon as I get home.
    Thanks for all that chime - I'll check them out :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Chime wrote:
    The cuts on me they run much deeper

EDIT: and tones of home :D:D:D it's Blind Melon on the CD player as soon as I get home.

Love that line... :D

What do you think to Car Seat (God's Presents)....?
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12