Dealing with the loss of a parent....

2»

Comments

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I am very sorry for your loss.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    samjam wrote:
    Can't say thank you enough times....so thank you, again.

There has been some drama between my dad's side of the family and my mom's. Last thing I need right now. So when I say thank you for the messages, I truly mean it, the well-wishes, texts, and calls have been so tremendously helpful.

And, of course, PJ has been so very helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXqwtUUPe0w

oh, man...sorry to hear about the drama. that happened when my Dad passed as well. hope things get a bit better soon!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    So sorry about your loss.... :(
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • I know we have already spoke, but first and foremost <3.

Secondly, you know I lost my father just under 8 years ago. It's hard and it's sad, but you have to realize inside something was not doing well. And for them to be at peace, is a comfort. In the coming days, months, and years the sadness will still remain, but it will become more tolerable. You want to know why he had to go, but you will never get an answer. Through the power of love, and the power of music it can help out big time in the healing process.

Always express how you feel. Keeping emotions inside is detrimental to your well being.

From what you have told me, he seemed so awesome, and that you loved him dearly. The great thing is, that love does not go ANYWHERE, Sam. You can still love and remember him every single day. Whether it's in a song you hear on the radio, or that cloud in the sky, or that breeze you feel in your hair.

Love ya, kiddo.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    I am so sorry for your loss. :( It may take a while to process everything. Remember all love and joy you shared with him.
    ELITIST FUK
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, Sam :( Grieve and express yourself however you need to. It's a process and it's different for everyone, don't let anyone make you feel like you should be a certain way. If there's drama around you, just let that unfold, it's not your job to deal with it. I used to be daddy's girl too and am struggling with the relationship we now have, so I think I understand how you feel and how hard it must be. ((((HUGS))))
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    So sorry for you loss. Big hugs to you and your family.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,777
    first off my condolences. My dad died passed away also. Mine was a little different story though. He died when I was 8 years old a few days before my birthday. And unfortunately my grandparents weren't really thinking and decided to have the funeral on my 9th birthday. I guess I was in denial cause I actually thought it was kinda cool that it was on my b-day :oops: Didn't really hit me until afterwards. I was only 8 so I didn't know him too well. If he had lived i'm pretty sure he and my mom would have gotten a divorce anyway. Also most of my grandparents also died when I was younger so I guess in a way it's kinda good for me that I haven't had any real loss of a "parent" figure or someone real close to me in the past 15 or so years.

I guess my advice will be to remember the good times you had with him. I still remember the good times i had with mine...first Phillies game, playing catch, teaching me to ride a bike, staying up late and watching tv with him, etc...
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Man, I don't wish what I'm going through upon anyone (yes, even though I know death is inevitable)....it's rough.

Family stuff, legal stuff--my head is spinning. This family member doesn't like this family member, this family member thinks the other has bad intent, and I'm here in the middle and I don't know who or what to believe. Things are complicated where they don't need to be...I don't need this! I just want proper time to grieve. But in my situation, I need to take care of things, then immediately go back to school, so it's tough.

I wish I had a fast forward button! I know everything will work out in time, so trying to repeat that over and over again.
    /rant
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    Sorry to hear this.

My wife lost both of her parents almost 2 years to the day apart. For awhile she just wanted to be left alone at times and other days she bucked up and led her life.

The best thing i can say is that time makes it a little easier. My wife still misses her parents but she doesn't cry like she did. Nothing magic can make it easier just time and it helps to remember the good times and not focus on the death.

Sorry for your loss.
    My butt itches!
  • samjam wrote:
    Man, I don't wish what I'm going through upon anyone (yes, even though I know death is inevitable)....it's rough.

Family stuff, legal stuff--my head is spinning. This family member doesn't like this family member, this family member thinks the other has bad intent, and I'm here in the middle and I don't know who or what to believe. Things are complicated where they don't need to be...I don't need this! I just want proper time to grieve. But in my situation, I need to take care of things, then immediately go back to school, so it's tough.

I wish I had a fast forward button! I know everything will work out in time, so trying to repeat that over and over again.
    /rant
    I can remember that wish to fast forward and get past the sadness and frustration after my dad had died. It really makes it hard when your family is at cross purposes. Also, all the details that have to be taken care of in a limited amount of time.

Just be kind to yourself and try to get through day by day, hour by hour, or minute by minute, whatever you need.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    sorry to hear about your loss sam.
  • So sorry for your loss, and the added stress and difficulty in trying to juggle family dynamics. Please keep the fond memories close, and distance yourself from the negativity. The PJ community is always here for you.
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.

I unexpectedly lost my mom on January 31. She was having some health problems, and I went to Nashville to help her with bills, life, etc. Little did I know that when I left her hospital room to go take care of bills for 15 min, that I would return to find her in cardiac arrest.

Life sucks sometimes, and it is enjoyable beyond words at other times. She was my only parent.

I am working on my Master's in Counseling Psychology so I was surrounded by wonderful, caring people, and I hope you experience the same. The only advice that I can offer is to be gentle with yourself. Take the time you need. Make space for the grief. It will hit you when you least expect it. Don't set limits on yourself for when the pain will pass. Take those painful moments to remember the wonderful love that you experienced. I became aggravated at myself that it was taking so long to recover from the loss, try not to do that. Be patient with yourself. Loss takes time, and we all process it in our own ways.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Today marks 1 year. In some ways it's easier, in some, it's harder. I was so not prepared for what I was in for this year, and it's been 365 days of the strangest, newest emotions. I never knew what it felt like to be so weak, yet I never knew I could be so strong.

In this one year, I have read this thread and every single PM I've received a million times over. Any and everybody's words help so tremendously.

My dad left such an impact on me, and such a huge imprint on my heart. He taught me about the beauty of music, of staying true to yourself, and of (in his words) "not letting the bastards get you down!"

This is such a hard day :cry:
    ~not a dude~
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,793
    If I may, you have now completed your year of firsts. Always difficult.
    Going forward , remember fondly everything about him and smile. As bittersweet as that may be.

I cant say it will get easier but it wont be as hard. If that makes any sense.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Sam, you've been on my mind a lot today, knowing what a hard day it probably has been for you. I'm glad that the support of other people has helped. I think you'll find that people who really care about you will always give you that support and for as long as you need it. Just reading this thread and talking to friends, and from my own experience, I know that grief doesn't have a timetable.

I get unexpected reminders of my dad and miss him. Sometimes a movie will make me think of him. Or I'll read a book that he would have liked and I wish we could talk about it. You probably sometimes hear music that makes you think of your dad.

What Mickeyrat says it's true--getting through that year of "firsts" is very hard. The anniversaries of my dad's death have been hard, but especially the first one. I've tried to find small personalized reminders of him on those days. Maybe something like that would work for you, like listening to his favorite music or going to place he enjoyed.

Mostly I hope that even though today may have been difficult, you've found some comfort, maybe even in unexpected places. Hugs and good thoughts sent your way.
  • oh sam. :(
    i truly identify with your pain. i lost my dad a few years older than you, at 23. 4 months before my wedding. the one "advantage" i had, was it was NOT sudden. while none of realized how quickly it would come, my dad was in very ill health for some time, we were warned, and sure, he was 78.

you'll get thru it, in time. i still mourn my dad. 21 years later. in fact, this month on the 17th would've been his 100th birthday! i still mark these milestones, remember him fondly, still love and miss him so. it does get easier, but it takes TIME.

hugs to you.

ps, i was a daddy's girl too. so difficult.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    first of all so very sorry, for your loss. .

I lost my dad at the end of May..I had been taking care of him and my mom (until she passed 2 years ago)

as I type this my only sibling is down from another state helping sort things in my dad's workshop..I just came inside took a deep breath. It's still really hard..~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Lots of love to you Sam, and a big virtual hug.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    thinking of you on this difficult day. April 6th is the day my Dad passed....I'd like to say that it gets easier, but I still miss him like crazy. I can say that I handle it better every year. If you need anything, just say the word.

All the best,
    Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I seriously appreciate everything, guys. It's always easier when you know you're not alone.

I spent the day with a dear friend who lost a loved one in 9/11. Cooked a bit, comforted each other a bit...it was just what I needed!

While it's overwhelming to think of the years events, doing everything I can to just think of the good times. And if all else fails, at least I can be happy with today's discovery that my school now takes my health insurance :D:lol: (always looking at life with a sense of humor is another one of the valuable things my dad taught me!)

Extremely blessed to not only have had a father, but to have had a friend.
    ~not a dude~
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I think of my dad everyday Samjam. I don't think that will ever go away and I'm glad it doesn't :)
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    samjam wrote:
    I seriously appreciate everything, guys. It's always easier when you know you're not alone.

I spent the day with a dear friend who lost a loved one in 9/11. Cooked a bit, comforted each other a bit...it was just what I needed!

While it's overwhelming to think of the years events, doing everything I can to just think of the good times. And if all else fails, at least I can be happy with today's discovery that my school now takes my health insurance :D:lol: (always looking at life with a sense of humor is another one of the valuable things my dad taught me!)

Extremely blessed to not only have had a father, but to have had a friend.

Stay strong Sam! And see you in Brooklyn & Baltimore! :mrgreen:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Sprunkn7 wrote:
    I think of my dad everyday Samjam. I don't think that will ever go away and I'm glad it doesn't :)
    The same is true for me.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    NY1 was on the street getting some words of wisdom from people who had lost loved ones on 9/11. One guy said something along the lines of 'People talk about closure - what closure? There's no closure you lost a loved one. You just have to live with that, you know what are you gonna do?'

I agree with that man. It's just something that get used to with time, it's not something you ever actually 'get over' like the way you 'get over' and ex you know?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Sam, I never did see this original thread but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you on this difficult day. The anniversaries are always very tough. This past February marked the 11 year mark since my Dad died...I can't beleive he's been away so long. I miss him every waking day. I doubt that ever goes away but gosh do my memories of him just grow stronger and fonder. Love & light to you and like mfc2006 said, don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do.
    ~ jamie
    We were but stones your light made us stars