Thai Food

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Not sure how long this thread will last but I'm going for it.

I love Thai food. It's so damn good. Last night we went to this restaurant here in SLC that we've heard about for a while but just never got around to going: Chanon Thai - http://www.chanonthai.com/.

The place is operated by a Thai family and they're putting out some of the best, and by many accounts, the most authentic Thai food in Salt Lake. I am normally an indecisive person when ordering food at a restaurant to begin with, but last night was torture.

I had the Kaow Pad Sub Pa Rod: Stir-fried jasmine rice with egg, your choice of meat, onions, tomatoes and cucumbers. Served with pineapple, roasted cashew nuts and raisins. Topped with two shrimp and green onion.

It's about to be my lunch today too. :)

Anyone else love Thai food? Share recipes if you got 'em.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    i LOVE Thai food!

(apparently it's really big here)

I wish I had recipes, like for that damn addictive Thai Iced Tea. i know it's black tea and condensed milk, but they add Star Anise, Cardamom, Cinnamon, and something else. i can't get it right :(

I always order a fresh roll which has romaine, basil, crab and shrimp in it rolled in the rice paper wrappers.

Drunken noodles (Phad Kee Mao) with tofu-5 stars, Crispy Garlic Chicken with basil-5 stars.

Probably should order some different stuff, like curry.

Damn...I want a Thai Iced Tea right now.... :x
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Eating my leftovers now and the pineapple is such an awesome flavor burst amongst all this rice, egg, onion, tofu, etc.

What's your favorite Thai place in Seattle, RCKNDY?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i had a "Birds Nest" once, yummy
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    edited August 2012
    Have a few decent Thai spots here in Boise. The wife and I aren't happy until the spice causes us to see through time and space... or at least have a vision with the space coyote.

space_coyote.jpg
    Post edited by Snakeduck on
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Probably should order some different stuff, like curry.

I considered getting the Gang Dang (red) curry last night. That's always a good decision, like Phad Thai.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I like the curries. My favorite Thai restaurant has a couple of specialties that make me feel like I've died and gone to heaven: fried sweet potatoes served with a spice cucumber-peanut sauce and homemade coconut ice cream.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Ms. DC and I both enjoy curry, but we're on separate side of the fences. I go for Thai curry, where as she is an Indian curry kind of gal.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    701.jpg

I buy the above from the grocery store, they sell it at Walmart too.

The box contains the pad thai rice noodles and sauce, and has a recipe on the back for pad thai (I make the chicken, you could also make shrimp)

To it you add chicken (fried), an egg (fried) , the oil for frying (duh), crushed peanuts, and sprouts.

I also add thai garlic pepper sauce.

It always comes out scrumptious and mighty yumbo.
    fried sweet potatoes served with a spice cucumber-peanut sauce and homemade coconut ice cream.

That sounds very, very tasty.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    rollings wrote:
    701.jpg

I buy the above from the grocery store, they sell it at Walmart too.

The box contains the pad thai rice noodles and sauce, and has a recipe on the back for pad thai (I make the chicken, you could also make shrimp)

To it you add chicken (fried), an egg (fried) , the oil for frying (duh), crushed peanuts, and sprouts.

I also add thai garlic pepper sauce.

It always comes out scrumptious and mighty yumbo.

Thai Kitchen does make some good, yet convenient Thai food.

Phad Thai is a huge go-to dish in our house. You just can't go wrong with it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    fried sweet potatoes served with a spice cucumber-peanut sauce and homemade coconut ice cream.

The sweet potatoes combination sounds a little odd at first but the flavors and textures combine wonderfully. The ice cream is so light and delish.

When I walk in, they don't even offer me a menu anymore. :lol:
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    mmmmmmmmm peanut sauce.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    South Park ruined Mee Krob for me. I can't even look at it on the menu without giggling. Once I tried to order it I couldn't stop laughing, I thought the lady was going to kill me.
    dcfaithful wrote:

The sweet potatoes combination sounds a little odd at first but the flavors and textures combine wonderfully. The ice cream is so light and delish.

When I walk in, they don't even offer me a menu anymore. :lol:

I love the way that ice cream and yogurts are used in Thai and Indian foods as a refresher/cooler for your palate.

Another place here in SLC called Sawadee serves durian, mango, or jackfruit with Thai sweet sticky rice for dessert, and also offers fried bananas. I've tried the durian and it was a first. Really interesting flavor, and the creamy, but sweet rice texture was new too. Very sweet and satisfying.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Suziemay wrote:
    South Park ruined Mee Krob for me. I can't even look at it on the menu without giggling. Once I tried to order it I couldn't stop laughing, I thought the lady was going to kill me.

:lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Eating my leftovers now and the pineapple is such an awesome flavor burst amongst all this rice, egg, onion, tofu, etc.

What's your favorite Thai place in Seattle, RCKNDY?

I can't remember the name of it right now...it's in Ballard. Their stuff was really flavorful and SPICY, a little on the spendy side. The place I go to now is in redneck town, so the food isn't as spicy. :x

So you like the red curry? I've had yellow curry at the Indian place and I liked it.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    dcfaithful wrote:

I usually make a double batch then have it for breakfast, lunch & supper until its gone :oops:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I love the way that ice cream and yogurts are used in Thai and Indian foods as a refresher/cooler for your palate.

Another place here in SLC called Sawadee serves durian, mango, or jackfruit with Thai sweet sticky rice for dessert, and also offers fried bananas. I've tried the durian and it was a first. Really interesting flavor, and the creamy, but sweet rice texture was new too. Very sweet and satisfying.

Durian! the rotting flesh fruit!

- Christopher McCandless
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Ooooh, I've had the fried banana for dessert and it's pretty amazing too, but I still prefer that ice cream. One thing I really like about it is that isn't as sweet as most ice creams. You just taste the fresh coconut. Ooooh, now I gotta go eat there tonight. :mrgreen:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Durian! the rotting flesh fruit!

The watier warned us that it smells funny, but tastes better. :lol:

Yes, the red curry is my favorite.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    rollings wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I usually make a double batch then have it for breakfast, lunch & supper until its gone :oops:

That's the way to do it! Make a big batch!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Tried it once, didn't do much for me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Thai food is also a food that I generally choose tofu over any meat in my dish simply because they prepare it so damn well. The shrimp/tofu combination is always great.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    81 wrote:

It's probably because you put A1 on it. :P
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    81 wrote:
    Thaied it once, didn't do much for me.

fixed
    81 wrote:

you take me to a real Thai place for lunch, and you will like it.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    81 wrote:

Thai Garden on Golf.....money!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

There ya go 81, go give it another thai... :geek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i think that might have been the place. 80% confident it was.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mmmmmmmmm peanut sauce.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:think: