Options

Introducing RNDM

Comments

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,304
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,594
    edited February 2016

demetrios said:

kramer73 said:

Just got an email from 10C that the vinyl is delayed

Assume that means the variant also

Text:
    Message from Dine Alone Records:

Due to manufacturing and quality control issues, the vinyl configuration of Ghost Riding will be delayed and will be shipped to customers at a later date. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you
    Dine Alone Records

The variant?
    I should clarify. This came from 10C so I assume it's for the black version.

I guess it's possible the variant may come sooner since it's a different pressing. I haven't received anything from them directly for that order
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/6020133/#Comment_6020133

RNDM Ghost Riding ordered via 10c is Orange/Green Marble Vinyl.
    slh

Well damn. I missed that. So guess eventually I'll have two of these.

Wish they were more clear from the outset.
    Yeah, if a record is coloured, they should note it. 10C knows better than that. Them not clarifying that the album is coloured caused a lot of confusion because Dine Alone did clarify it and then of course people thought there were two versions. Vinyl selling 101 fail.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    PJ_Soul said:

demetrios said:

kramer73 said:

Text:

Due to manufacturing and quality control issues, the vinyl configuration of Ghost Riding will be delayed and will be shipped to customers at a later date. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you
    Dine Alone Records

The variant?

I guess it's possible the variant may come sooner since it's a different pressing. I haven't received anything from them directly for that order

slh

Yeah, if a record is coloured, they should note it. 10C knows better than that. Them not clarifying that the album is coloured caused a lot of confusion because Dine Alone did clarify it and then of course people thought there were two versions. Vinyl selling 101 fail.
    10C clarified it within, like, 2 hours of it going up for sale on the website. relax, I'm sure you can still e-mail one or the other and cancel an order if you need to, just like I did.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,835
    Pap thanks for posting the video. Totally pumped to see these guys. Come on March 7th!!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    a5pj said:

PJ_Soul said:

demetrios said:

kramer73 said:

Text:

Thank you
    Dine Alone Records

The variant?

slh

10C clarified it within, like, 2 hours of it going up for sale on the website. relax, I'm sure you can still e-mail one or the other and cancel an order if you need to, just like I did.
    I'm relaxed. I saw that post from Santos, and never ordered more than one record. I am just talking about them putting all relevant info on the items in their store. It should be a given. The lack of that info did cause confusion for a lot of people.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    EB218946 said:

Pap thanks for posting the video. Totally pumped to see these guys. Come on March 7th!!

Enjoy! :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,920
    edited February 2016
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jam-bassist-jeff-ament-talks-new-lp-tour-with-rmdm-20160229

Pearl Jam Bassist Jeff Ament Talks New LP, Tour With RMDM

On 'Ghost Riding,' Ament steps outside his comfort zone with help from bandmates Joseph Arthur and Richard Stuverud

By Andy Greene February 29, 2016

A little under a year ago, the three members of RNDM - Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, singer/songwriter Joseph Arthur and drummer Richard Stuverud - got together to began sketching out ideas for their new LP, Ghost Riding (out March 4th), a follow-up to their 2012 debut Acts. "We said to each other, 'What is the spirit album for this record?'" says Ament. "We started throwing out experimental albums back and forth that we love, like Laughing Stock by Talk Talk, David Sylvian's Brilliant Trees and Gone to Earth, some of the most experimental Bowie albums, Bauhaus and the first couple of Peter Gabriel records."

None of these records sounded much like anything RNDM had done before, which was precisely the point. "Before we even played a note, we decided to really distance ourselves from the way that the first record went down," says Ament. "We were up for the challenge of leaving our comfort zones." For Ament, that meant learning to utilize drum machines and keyboards after working primarily with guitars, bass and live drums over his long career. "That's pretty exciting for a musician 30 years down the line," says Ament, "to be in a place where everything feels fresh and new."

Recording began last April at Ament's Montana studio. "On the very first day, Richard hadn't woken up yet and I was having some coffee and toast with Joe," says Ament. "I said, 'Do you have a drum beat?' He went, 'Oh yeah, I have this cool drum machine on my iPad.' He plugged it right into the amp and I sat down on the Mellotron and we sort of came up with three parts. Then Richard came over and we all plugged into our normal instruments and it was a rock trio. We played over the template of the drum machine, keyboard arrangement that we just laid down. That became the template for the whole record."

Acts was recorded in about a week, but this new way of working required a much greater time commitment. After three weeks in Montana, they moved shop to Stone Gossard's Seattle studio for another few weeks. Mixing took three months. "I don't think I've ever spend that much time on a record in my entire career," says Gossard. "I think it was because we didn't know what it was. We kept throwing paint on the canvas and paint on the canvas and at some point, we had to start actually taking some paint off the canvas or starting over."

Twenty tracks were recorded, but they settled on 11 for the album, including the somber "Stronger Man," the soaring "Stray" and "NYC Freaks," the latter detailing a lonely night in New York amidst crazy club-goers. Arthur wrote all the lyrics. "He has such a vivid imagination that he can go back into his mind and create almost a movie," says Ament. "A lot of it is memoir and lot is based on things he witnessed or experienced."

RNDM kick off a seven-date American club tour March 4th in Seattle at The Crocodile. In order to recreate the sounds from the album, Stuverud will be controlling a laptop with a drum machine on it and Ament and Arthur will both be triggering samples. "It's like nothing I've ever done," says Ament. "It's going to be a blast because it's going to be brand new territory, but there's definitely some anxiety. We probably won't get it all down until the end of the tour."

They plan on playing most, if not all, of the new album along with about five songs from Acts and maybe a surprise cover. On the last tour, they mashed up The Clash's "Magnificent Seven" with Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No, I Got Life." "This time, I have an idea to mash up one of our songs from our first record with a cover," says Ament. "It might be a total fail. Who knows?"

RMDN's planned club dates are a far cry from the arenas and stadiums that Pearl Jam are hitting this summer, and that's just the way Ament likes it. "You can see every person in the place," he says. "It's good to be out there changing your own bass strings and lugging gear and bringing T-shirts in. It sounds cliche, but that's where I come from; the whole DIY thing. But nowadays, after seven shows, I'm like, 'Man, I'm almost 53 years old. This is really hard.'"

RNDM have never played a Pearl Jam song, and don't intend to start now, but that didn't stop a couple of people from screaming for them on the last tour. "It was in the cities you wouldn't think that would happen in," says Ament. "But the Pearl Jam fans are pretty respectful in that regard. I think they even understand that we don't have to be doing this. There's a fair amount of work that goes into making it as special we can."

Ament believes that side projects like RNDM are what allowed Pearl Jam to hit the 25-year mark in pristine shape. "You have to go out and do your own thing and learn new things, how to create differently," he says. "You bring something new back to the band each time. Sometimes when you play with new people there's a rough patch after the honeymoon period and you appreciate the 25 years you had with your other bandmates. It's amazing to be able to do it all. I feel super lucky."

Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    Nice article. They succeeded having an album that sounded nothing like Acts. The first listen of the new album was a shock to the system, because my expectations were that I was going to hear songs with a similar sound to Acts. But, once I got through the initial shock and gave it another listen, while reading the lyrics, I really enjoy the album. I'm looking forward to hearing these songs played live in Chicago in a couple of weeks.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    RP112579 said:

Nice article. They succeeded having an album that sounded nothing like Acts. The first listen of the new album was a shock to the system, because my expectations were that I was going to hear songs with a similar sound to Acts. But, once I got through the initial shock and gave it another listen, while reading the lyrics, I really enjoy the album. I'm looking forward to hearing these songs played live in Chicago in a couple of weeks.

You've heard the entire new album? Have cassettes and CDs started arriving already? Or was it leaked?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

RP112579 said:

You've heard the entire new album? Have cassettes and CDs started arriving already? Or was it leaked?
    I got the CD I ordered from 10c on Saturday.
  • Options
    RP112579 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RP112579 said:

Awesome!... I feel a little ripped off, lol, having ordered only the vinyl, and not being able to hear the album yet while others are receiving it.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    PJ_Soul said:

RP112579 said:

PJ_Soul said:

RP112579 said:

Awesome!... I feel a little ripped off, lol, having ordered only the vinyl, and not being able to hear the album yet while others are receiving it.
    Yeah, i wish they'd at least send us an MP3 since the vinyl is delayed.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

I emailed 10c---no such luck.

Hi,
    We do not have a date at this time.
    There is no download included with this pre-order.
    10c
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,900
    edited February 2016
    mfc2006 said:

Hi,
    10c
    No download at all? That kinda sucks. Why is 10c being so stingy with the downloads that are being included with most vinyl records these days? I don't have a record player in my car.
    EDIT: Went back and read the listing and it looks like we get a card with our order. Some day.
    Post edited by lexicondevil on
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Ordering the vinyl from the Dine Alone Records website as it's $20 Canadian and shipping is the same cost, and it's coming from Toronto. All in Canadian $. Much cheaper than going through 10C and you get the same coloured vinyl. Americans may be able to do the same and get it for 40% cheaper due to the weak CDN $.
  • Options
    Anxiously waiting for my cassette to arrive in New Jersey!!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,920

mfc2006 said:

Hi,
    10c
    No download at all? That kinda sucks. Why is 10c being so stingy with the downloads that are being included with most vinyl records these days? I don't have a record player in my car.
    EDIT: Went back and read the listing and it looks like we get a card with our order. Some day.
    When did they add the Digital Download Card to http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info.php?products_id=4124 ? Could of sworn I didn't see that in the description field for a while now.
  • Options
    Got my cd yesterday, plan on playing it a lot today, so far sounds great!

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,900
    demetrios said:

mfc2006 said:

Hi,
    10c
    When did they add the Digital Download Card to http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info.php?products_id=4124 ? Could of sworn I didn't see that in the description field for a while now.
    I dunno. I just wish they would email us a code since it seems like they don't even know when the record might be showing up. I NEED to hear this thing!!!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    mfc2006 said:

Hi,
    10c
    Bummer. Oh well. At least we get a download code with the record.
  • Options

demetrios said:

mfc2006 said:

Hi,
    10c
    I dunno. I just wish they would email us a code since it seems like they don't even know when the record might be showing up. I NEED to hear this thing!!!
    I would try to email Dine Alone Records, since that's the record company putting the album out. 10c/PJ really don't have anything to do with this album release.
  • Options
    Nice just tracked my cassette and it was delivered this morning. Can't wait to give a listen!
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    demetrios said:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jam-bassist-jeff-ament-talks-new-lp-tour-with-rmdm-20160229

Pearl Jam Bassist Jeff Ament Talks New LP, Tour With RMDM
    On 'Ghost Riding,' Ament steps outside his comfort zone with help from bandmates Joseph Arthur and Richard Stuverud
    By Andy Greene February 29, 2016

A little under a year ago, the three members of RNDM - Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, singer/songwriter Joseph Arthur and drummer Richard Stuverud - got together to began sketching out ideas for their new LP, Ghost Riding (out March 4th), a follow-up to their 2012 debut Acts. "We said to each other, 'What is the spirit album for this record?'" says Ament. "We started throwing out experimental albums back and forth that we love, like Laughing Stock by Talk Talk, David Sylvian's Brilliant Trees and Gone to Earth, some of the most experimental Bowie albums, Bauhaus and the first couple of Peter Gabriel records."

None of these records sounded much like anything RNDM had done before, which was precisely the point. "Before we even played a note, we decided to really distance ourselves from the way that the first record went down," says Ament. "We were up for the challenge of leaving our comfort zones." For Ament, that meant learning to utilize drum machines and keyboards after working primarily with guitars, bass and live drums over his long career. "That's pretty exciting for a musician 30 years down the line," says Ament, "to be in a place where everything feels fresh and new."

LOVE THIS
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,178
    Download code would be the right thing to do
  • Options
    Digging Got To Survive

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945

AndySlash said:

demetrios said:

@ RNDM - Listen to "NYC Freaks" from RNDM's new album out on March 4.

this is a winner.
    dug that, looking forward to seeing them in a week and half in philly. looks like i'll have to pick up their album at the show.

don't forget to donate your balls :wink::smile:
    will they be selling the album at the show?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

AndySlash said:

demetrios said:

@ RNDM - Listen to "NYC Freaks" from RNDM's new album out on March 4.

this is a winner.
    dug that, looking forward to seeing them in a week and half in philly. looks like i'll have to pick up their album at the show.

don't forget to donate your balls :wink::smile:
    will they be selling the album at the show?
    99% yes

• Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    From our friends @JeffAmentsArmy on Twitter:

Jeff Ament's Army ‏@JeffAmentsArmy 1 hr1 hour ago
    Explore @RNDMBAND "Ghost Riding" track by track w/ #JeffAment @josepharthur #RichardStuverd Thursday 11am eastern @PearlJamRadio.

Can anyone here listen and record for us? Thx. in advance!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    I'm not normally the half empty type a guy, but it would be a bummer not to be able to listen to the album before the show in Chicago (I preordered the vinyl).

A download code would be the right thing to do IMO, but don't think it falls upon 10C. I'm hesitant to purchase the digital if it is going to come with the album.

But I'll bright side this thing: if I do break down and buy the digital, I'll just give away the vinyl download code in the RAK thread to someone.