So, my neighbor *stole* my cat...

RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
okay, not really *stole* but well, I'll start from the beginning.

Lived in the area for 7 years. When we first moved in, only one person came by to say 'hello', and I've always waved at the neighbors when I see them out in their yard, most never wave back, whatever be a sourpuss.

Anyway, one of the cats, Booger has always been a 'roamer'. He was left behind by a roommate years ago, and kind of adopted Mr. RK (before I met Mr. RK). Booger never really cared for me and would actually try to bite me. So, I just left him alone.

Fast Forward 4 years, Mr. RK and I bought a house, and Booger has an 'issue' that is becoming more and more common...he pees on the kitchen counter and poops in the kitchen sink. Now, it's not him 'mistaking' the sink for a litter box, because he would pee on one side of the counter, and poop in the opposite side of the sink. This would be an everyday thing. :x I put out 2 more litter boxes, I tried everything to keep him off the counter, I put tape sticky side up on the counter, and we would just find him sitting in the kitchen covered in tape. I put cans along the edge of the counter so he couldn't judge the edge, nope, he'd jump thru the cans and knock ALL of them on the floor. I put a chair mat with the pokey nubs sticking up on the counter, it didn't stop him. He still peed and pooped in the kitchen.

Mr. RK decides, Booger has to stay an outdoor only kitty. A few years later some new renters move in a few houses away. They leave their garage door open slightly for their dog. Booger decides to go wandering and starts spending time at the new neighbor's house (he'd be gone for a few days, and we'd see him in their window). Cool, he can pee on their counter and poop in their sink. :lol:

So, a month ago-after Booger has pretty much exclusively stayed at their house for a year-the neighbor lady comes by, "I wanted to make sure you didn't think we were stealing your cat or anything" I told her, "He's always been a roamer" and gave her his history of wandering, being gone for days, and the fact that he has a bathroom problem (and that's why we don't keep him indoors). I tell her, "We've always wanted to find him a new home, he just doesn't seem happy. If he's happy with your family, we're happy for him". So she asks me if he has had all his shots. I told her I used to work at a vet clinic, and the last time I took him in, he freaked out and earned an orange sticker on his chart (bad kitties get orange stickers). So she asks if she should take him in. I told her he was about 17 and probably too old/frail to go to the vet again. So, she says 'ok' and leaves.

Now, 2 weeks ago the neighbor lady comes by again. She says that Booger hasn't been doing well. She took him to the vet and did x-rays, he has a mass growing in his lungs, and there isn't anything they can do. She tells me, "We love him so much, and I cannot believe how much he loves my husband, I mean, I have never seen a cat so attached to a human. He is just so special.", she is almost in tears. "If there is anything you would like us to do, like cremate him...or....or..." I thank her and say I will talk to Mr. RK since Booger was originally 'his' cat. She says 'okay' and leaves.

My question is, do we owe her any money for the care of Booger? We didn't officially 'give' him to her, he adopted them.

oh, and my other cat has been spending a lot of time at her house (him and Booger are friends). She keeps the garage closed now, and I haven't seen my other kitty for a few days. :|

(sorry this is so long, but I eagerly await your sarcastic replies!)
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    This is sad; I'd never make a sarcastic remark about this.

Sounds like they've given him a good and loving home (one that just works better for him). I don't think you "owe" them anything per se, but it sure would be a nice gesture on your part to show them appreciation for their care of him - whether in monetary form, maybe some kitty toys or a gift card to a petstore.

Losing a cat absolutely sucks, even if it's their time.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Booger is a fantastic name for a pet
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

It's his nickname...I would never give a cat the name he was given...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I don't know anything about cats, but I don't think that you owe them anything at all. Sounds like they took Booger in and were happy with him and that they've been keeping you updated on his status out of courtesy. I agree with hedonist, it might be a nice gesture to send a little something but in terms of medical expenses, I say you're completely off the hook.

I'm sorry to hear that he's not doing well :(
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    their problem.... dont bother with anything
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    if she didn't ask for money, i wouldn't worry about it.....

poor wittle booger.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    wish someone would *steal* my ex like that
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Losing pets sucks. Reading what you have written I don't think you're obligated but if it makes you feel good go ahead.
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    I'm glad you let Booger pick his choice of homes... see what I did there? ;)

You are off the obligation hook; Booger is the neighbor's cat now. Do what you see fit.

My cat of 15 years is dying on me; she keeps having little seizures that are getting worse. Only a matter of time... There is one human, other than immediate family, that is still a part of my life from back when she first adopted me. I've managed to distance myself from all the rest. Basically my best friend for a decade and a half. :cry:
  • I'd probably offer to pay half, or something of the sort.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I wouldn't pay anything. The cat sounds like an asshole.
  • DewieCox wrote:

it should be named Kramer! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    DewieCox wrote:

How did you know his name is a character from Seinfeld?

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

How did you know his name is a character from Seinfeld?

what Seinfeld character was named booger?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    If you saw my second post...

RKCNDY wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

- Christopher McCandless
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I'm sorry about Booger's declining health. I don't know about the payment...

This was long before we could google symptoms. My sister's cat peed in the sink and she took him to the vet and he had a urinary tract problem. She told me that when they pee in an unusual place, they want to show you they are in pain. When my Tigger peed on a sleeping bag in front of me and cried, I took him to the vet and he too had a urinary tract problem.

When my new cat started pooping outside of his clean box, I googled it and it is the sign of a problem. We took him to the vet and he had a gland problem like dogs get and they get cleaned at the groomer's. I've always had cats and this is the first one that had to be worked on back there twice now. Too gross to describe here...

I hope it all works out for you.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:

This was long before we could google symptoms. My sister's cat peed in the sink and she took him to the vet and he had a urinary tract problem. She told me that when they pee in an unusual place, they want to show you they are in pain. When my Tigger peed on a sleeping bag in front of me and cried, I took him to the vet and he too had a urinary tract problem.

When my new cat started pooping outside of his clean box, I googled it and it is the sign of a problem. We took him to the vet and he had a gland problem like dogs get and they get cleaned at the groomer's. I've always had cats and this is the first one that had to be worked on back there twice now. Too gross to describe here...

I had taken him to the vet for the peeing/pooping issue. Everything was all normal.

Thanks for the replies everyone, (except for DS's 'honest reply' in the 'Price is Right' thread.

I kinda felt, if Booger wanted a new home, found it, and is happy, so be it. Even though he didn't like me much, I feel sorry that the poor guy is suffering (I have different views on euthanasia for pets).

Be well Booger.

- Christopher McCandless
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    RKCNDY wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I had taken him to the vet for the peeing/pooping issue. Everything was all normal.

Thanks for the replies everyone, (except for DS's 'honest reply' in the 'Price is Right' thread.

I kinda felt, if Booger wanted a new home, found it, and is happy, so be it. Even though he didn't like me much, I feel sorry that the poor guy is suffering (I have different views on euthanasia for pets).

Be well Booger.

I'm sorry his reply was so "honest."
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    If you saw my second post...

RKCNDY wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

oh, right! I said Kramer because the cat seems to like to mooch off anyone who will oblige! LOL
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Sorry to hear about the cat being sick it does sound like he found what he was looking for ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

+1 on that ^^^^^ :lol:

I don't think you should feel obligated to do anything...booger wormed his way into their hearts....you never liked him, anyway ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    On a side note, Lisa, remind me to never eat anything prepared in your kitchen...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    hmm..seems ok to me..
    some other people skining cats :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rku-pXi5h8
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    Post deleted by Admin. Name calling not ok. See the Posting Guidelines.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I think that your off the hook for helping w/ the vet expenses.
    Booger chose them as his new home, and with his age, surgery is just well...
    you've worked at a vet clinic before... so you know its probably just not worth it, and they dont like doing surgery on pets that old.

Now... if you want the other cat back...
    I hope she isn't going to try and hold him (her?) hostage for some help w/ Booger's medical expenses.

I say, go over... tell her again thank you for giving Booger a loving home that he enjoys staying at. Your sorry that you cannot help with medical expenses, due to his age, your own financial issues, (the fact that the cat was an asshole that hated you :lol: ) whatever. Give her toys? food? a bed? something that was Boogers... maybe a thank you card w/ a gift card to the pet store. $10... Whatever you feel like.

And then tell her you want your other cat back 8-)

Your moving soon, right? Dont want to let that go on too long, then it'll be battle royale on moving day.

Good luck.
    And best wishes to Booger and his new home.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Are you trying to become Unlost Cats?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    Are you trying to become Unlost Cats?
    umm, wouldnt she be lost cats?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    :? I think I may have stolen my neighbours cat :oops:

They got it about a year ago,but it was always an indoor cat,I'd hear it meowing at the window and I'd wave at it and say hello :fp:
    About a month ago,because it is warm out they have taken to leaving the window open and the cat has been getting out,it doesn't look too well looked after,it is very thin and louping with fleas :cry:
    I have began feeding it,treated it with flea repellant and have named it Jim,I don't know what's it's real name is :oops:
    It now spends more time at my house than theirs but depsite my attempt to get an answer at their door to ask about it's name and to try to explain I haven't stolen it even although I kind of have :oops: ... what should I do?

Sorry for highjacking your thread Lisa but when I read it's title I thought 'Oh no that's me' :?

As for your dilemma I don't think you would owe them anything,after all they chose to take it to the vet
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    stargirl69 wrote:

They got it about a year ago,but it was always an indoor cat,I'd hear it meowing at the window and I'd wave at it and say hello :fp:
    About a month ago,because it is warm out they have taken to leaving the window open and the cat has been getting out,it doesn't look too well looked after,it is very thin and louping with fleas :cry:
    I have began feeding it,treated it with flea repellant and have named it Jim,I don't know what's it's real name is :oops:
    It now spends more time at my house than theirs but depsite my attempt to get an answer at their door to ask about it's name and to try to explain I haven't stolen it even although I kind of have :oops: ... what should I do?

Sorry for highjacking your thread Lisa but when I read it's title I thought 'Oh no that's me' :?

As for your dilemma I don't think you would owe them anything,after all they chose to take it to the vet
    Sounds like Rckndy could use a cat... Send it through the 10c
    GoiMTvP.gif
    stargirl69 wrote:

Sounds like Rckndy could use a cat... Send it through the 10c

Cats do like a good box... or bag, in fact, I think that's what Yellow Ledbetter is really about.