Wisdom tooth...OUCH

LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Out of my four wisdom teeth I have, there's only one that has been giving me problems. Every so often, my gums in the area become inflamed and sore as the tooth keeps trying to come through. From what I understand, it sounds like it's impacted. I have an appointment with an oral surgeon this saturday to have it looked at....but until then, it's painful! I will say, it isn't as bad as it was on Friday or Saturday, but it still sucks.

Does anyone have any good remedies until I can get to the surgeon? I've been taking 2 advil roughly every 4-5 hours (no more than 6 pills per 24 hours). The advil provides some relief for a short period of time, but it comes back. I've also been doing warm salt water about 3-4 times a day, which actually does help some. Just wondering if anyone has anything else? I would like to not take as much advil as I have been. Think something like Orajel or Ambisol (however you spell those) would work better?

Thanks!
"Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Double your advil or drink....booze is good
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    81 wrote:
    Not sure if you saw where I said I wanted to take LESS advil than I am now :lol:
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Not sure if you saw where I said I wanted to take LESS advil than I am now :lol:
    Imo, Not a big deal short term. Had a doc prescribe 800mg pills i think. Four times a single advil.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Feel your pain. Tooth aches suck
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Get it pulled. It Will feel much better out than the pain you're having now.
    Oh no, I definitely want it out. I just can't get to the oral surgeon until saturday. Just looking for home remedies or whatever to hold me over, if anyone had different suggestions.

81 wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Imo, Not a big deal short term. Had a doc prescribe 800mg pills i think. Four times a single advil.
    I had a doc suggest taking 2 advil three times a day, for the rest of my life...to keep my migraines at bay. I suppose I wouldn't have to worry about migraines when I have a bleeding stomach :roll:
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Codeine with alcohol.... Bam, you'll be feeling like Peter Pan.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Yesh....like i said...short term :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Poor thing! My husband has the same problem at the moment and I have been giving him my meds I use when I have a mouth ulcer. Sounds like you need something with lignocaine. I think this stuff is called SR8 or something along those lines. It's just an oral liquid that you put on a cotton ball stick and hold over the area. It numbs it really well. Hope that helps anyway. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    27228_photo.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Drink some JD
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Ouch! So sorry to hear this. Hopefully they can take your tooth out soon. I would call your doctor. I had been taking advil for pain and was reluctant to take anything stronger because I have a really sensitive stomach, but my doctor said tylenol with codeine would actually be better for my stomach than all that advil...and it worked a lot better on the pain as well.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • rpech'erpech'e Twin Cities Posts: 1,106
    Your doctor should be able to prescribe you a pain med to get you by until your seen
    Hope you feel better :)
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    the advil and salt rinses are probably all you can do at the moment. if you can get a little syringe to squirt warm salty water under the gum of the tooth, then that will be more effective in cleaning around it and taking the inflammation down. antibiotics won't do anything unless there's an infection (i.e if it's swollen and /or has some nice pus oozing out of it).
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    ORAJEL!! instant numbing!! the stuff is a GOD send.

I used it when my kids teeth were loose and they were afraid it was going to hurt, dabbed a little around the gum
    a gentle pull...nothing, no crying..

point its it numbs the area!! great stuff...could be a nice temp relief
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    perocets and get it removed asap
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,786
    I tried Clove oil when mine were hurting...it actually worked well until I had them removed.

It tastes gross, but numbs it for a few hrs

You can get it at GNC
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    don't take advil, take aleve.

Aleve (naproxen) is a better pain medication than ibuprofen (advil). It works differently and lasts longer, you only have to take it twice a day.

I had 2 impacted wisdom teeth, and I was always chewing on ice. They will probably pull out all 4 even if you only have one impacted. Something about teeth lining up and being symmetrical.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Pot. Lots and lots of pot. Maybe a vicodin if handy.

I actually had my first and only wisdom tooth pulled about a month ago. INTENSE pain prior; the little fucker decided out of the blue to just...grow.

My dentist prescribed penicillin a few days before pulling it, and it really helped. Orajel and the like did nothing for the pain.

Good luck! Most people go through this in their teens. Sucks dealing with it as an adult, when the wuss factor has come to the forefront (at least for me :P )
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Wish I could help with some advice for the meanwhile for you, but I can say that recovery from when you do get the tooth pulled isn't too bad. I got all 4 pulled out yesterday AM, and while yesterday completely sucked, today is much, much better. Can't complain too much about eating tons of ice cream for a few days, too :D
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! The warm salt water does provide relief along with the Advil. I've tried Tylenol and codiene when the doc prescribed it for migraines, it knocked me out.

My other three wisdom teeth never hurt growing in and they've never pushed my teeth. I'm hoping the dentist won't want to take them out "just cause." :lol: If it ain't broke....

I'm also PETRIFIED to do this whole process of having the tooth removed. The last time I was at the dentist, he drilled my tooth without novicane :shock: He said "Ah it's only a pinhole cavity, you don't need a numbing agent." Uhhhh...yeah, I did. Worst experience ever. That was about 6 years ago, and I haven't been back since. I tried a couple of times, but ended up cancelling the appointments after literally having anxiety attacks on the way there.
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! The warm salt water does provide relief along with the Advil. I've tried Tylenol and codiene when the doc prescribed it for migraines, it knocked me out.

My other three wisdom teeth never hurt growing in and they've never pushed my teeth. I'm hoping the dentist won't want to take them out "just cause." :lol: If it ain't broke....

I'm also PETRIFIED to do this whole process of having the tooth removed. The last time I was at the dentist, he drilled my tooth without novicane :shock: He said "Ah it's only a pinhole cavity, you don't need a numbing agent." Uhhhh...yeah, I did. Worst experience ever. That was about 6 years ago, and I haven't been back since. I tried a couple of times, but ended up cancelling the appointments after literally having anxiety attacks on the way there.
    Go to a good oral surgeon and you should be fine. I had all 4 of mine removed (2 impacted under the bone, 2 under the gum) and the worst part was getting sick from the anesthesia afterwards. They put me under full anesthesia. I had no problems at all afterwards - no pain, no swelling, no bruising. Just follow the after care instructions exactly (only eat soft foods and no drinking through straws!) Good luck.

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Codeine with alcohol.... Bam, you'll be feeling like Peter Pan.

When I mix codeine and alcohol, I usually dress like peter pan!
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

Go to a good oral surgeon and you should be fine. I had all 4 of mine removed (2 impacted under the bone, 2 under the gum) and the worst part was getting sick from the anesthesia afterwards. They put me under full anesthesia. I had no problems at all afterwards - no pain, no swelling, no bruising. Just follow the after care instructions exactly (only eat soft foods and no drinking through straws!) Good luck.
    That's what makes me most nervous. I've never been put out for anything. I'd prefer to be awake for the procedure if at all possible.
    Go to a good oral surgeon and you should be fine.

bam...finding a doctor you are comfortable with is so key when it comes to anything medical.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

bam...finding a doctor you are comfortable with is so key when it comes to anything medical.
    I'm not comfortable with any dentist/oral surgeon, that's the problem :lol:
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    81 wrote:

Tell us more, Dr. Oz!
    81 wrote:

So true! Get referrals from other people who have had their wisdom teeth removed - they're usually the best resource.

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    edited August 2012
    All my wisdom teeth were impacted below the gums and had to be cut out. Like you, I was really nervous about the procedure, but once I took the first couple of hits of nitrous oxide all was right with the world 8-)

Before the procedure my gums were very tender and hurt. The only thing I did was to either chew ice or eat popsicles. Coincidentally, that was all I did for the first day after the procedure too. But, the dentist gave me some decent pain killers afterwards, so that was cool too.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    For what it's worth, my extraction (I HATE that word) required only novocaine (get it without epinephrine if you can, since you - as I - are prone to anxiety in that situation; that shit makes my heart race more than necessary). I almost passed out just from anticipating how it would be...and as always, it was worse in my mind than in reality.

But my dentist was (is) very gentle and generous with the novocaine, and it took not even a minute to do the actual deed (that's what she said :mrgreen: )

Afterward was much better than I expected as well.

Definitely go to one who wouldn't even consider doing a filling without numbing you first!

Maybe also try 1-800-dentist?

(ps to JOE - thanks for the :lol: )
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    That's what makes me most nervous. I've never been put out for anything. I'd prefer to be awake for the procedure if at all possible.

That's your preference but I've actually been put under five times for sugeries and there's truly nothing to it. :lol: I'm not sure how it's done ofr dentistry but all I know is they give you a little shot that makes you goofy as all hell...you suck on some gas...and then the next thing you remember you wake up and it's done.

I will say I did wake up during shoulder surgery once. That was freaky. :lol: :?