In the market for a new grill. Suggestions please?

2»

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I just want to go back to a charcoal grill. A few years ago my prince bought me a gas grill. I can't stand it! I used to love to grill, now I hardly ever do.

Maybe the OP would like my gas grill. :think:
    hmm. how far into the fields are you? Can you deliver?
    Nah, I'm one of the 3 Texans that doesn't drive a pick up.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I haven't got one but I've been hearing raves about the Big Green Egg. Pricey but supposedly last forever.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

A friend of mine has 2 of them - he's obsessed and refuses to grill on anything else. I think he's even in an Egg Club :lol::lol::lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,915
    I just want to go back to a charcoal grill. A few years ago my prince bought me a gas grill. I can't stand it! I used to love to grill, now I hardly ever do.

Maybe the OP would like my gas grill. :think:

gas grills are fine if they have 20 years of baked on crud, like mine.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    imalive wrote:

That's the key. I mean clean the gril with the brush but don't get anal with it. All that charred shit only adds flavor as the grill gets older.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    DS1119 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

That's the key. I mean clean the gril with the brush but don't get anal with it. All that charred shit only adds flavor as the grill gets older.

And be careful not to swallow the metal from the grill brush!

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/1 ... -barbecue/

Seriously, go and lift the lid of a weber and feel the weight and quality of it. Not to mention they cook way better than the other cheap ones.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,342
    Maybe I'd be more interested in the Egg if I had some more spare cash and didn't have 2 kids under 2 (i.e. more free time to mess around with grilling turkeys).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    And be careful not to swallow the metal from the grill brush!

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/1 ... -barbecue/

how the fuck does that happen.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Anybody cook with Man-Grates?
    http://www.mangrate.com/about.aspx
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    finally picking one up this week. gonna swing by lowes and check them out. hoping to not spend over 400.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    finally picking one up this week. gonna swing by lowes and check them out. hoping to not spend over 400.

thank you for considering lowes for your grill purchasisng needs

your friendly forum shareholder.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    changed my mind. heading to home depot
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,670
    I still use the combo charcoal/gas grill I got from Lowes last year. Still like it. Season 2 on the $250 investment.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    changed my mind. heading to home depot

i hope your grill explodes
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I still use the combo charcoal/gas grill I got from Lowes last year. Still like it. Season 2 on the $250 investment.
    that one is tempting. I've had mine for 8 years but Didn't really take care of it during the winter months and the burners started to erode.

They have some with searing grills on the side. I'd rather have that than a side burner.
    MayDay10 wrote:

grills last forever. our charbroil propane one will be 10 years this fall. i've had to replace the burner, but that's it.

charcoal was a walmart cheapie, and it's 5 or 6 years old. legs are rusting, but that's no reason to drop cash on a new one.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    LloydXmas wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    that one is tempting. I've had mine for 8 years but Didn't really take care of it during the winter months and the burners started to erode.

They have some with searing grills on the side. I'd rather have that than a side burner.

you can pick up a replacement burner for cheap....if you look. i've picked them up for like 15 on sale. cheaper than a new grill.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

you can pick up a replacement burner for cheap....if you look. i've picked them up for like 15 on sale. cheaper than a new grill.

but I want a new grill and I'm going to Lowes. F Home Depot
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Just bought a Weber Spirit S310 at Lowes.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    LloydXmas wrote:
    but I want a new grill and I'm going to Lowes.

good call. carry on.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    JK_Livin wrote:
    at Lowes.
    smart man
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Just don't get a stainless steel one. Yes they're pretty, but holy fuck, are they ever a pain in the ass to keep clean when you grill often. I have learned my lesson - will never get a stainless steal grill again! I can't tell you how many hours I've spent scubbing my ass off with stainless steel cleaners, and still the thing looks like shit now. I've used it heavily but carefully, got it 5 years ago, and it looks 20 years old at least (and it's always wears a vented cover when not in use, and is kept on a covered balcony).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Just don't get a stainless steel one. Yes they're pretty, but holy fuck, are they ever a pain in the ass to keep clean when you grill often. I have learned my lesson - will never get a stainless steal grill again! I can't tell you how many hours I've spent scubbing my ass off with stainless steel cleaners, and still the thing looks like shit now. I've used it heavily but carefully, got it 5 years ago, and it looks 20 years old at least (and it's always wears a vented cover when not in use, and is kept on a covered balcony).

why would you clean a grill...only thing i have ever done to mine is to wire brush the grill before tossing on the food
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    81 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

why would you clean a grill...only thing i have ever done to mine is to wire brush the grill before tossing on the food
    It had to be cleaned. I'm not talking just kind of some staining. It gets REALLY gunked up, and actually would look unappetizing enough for me to want it cleaner just so my guests wouldn't feel like I was putting their food on something unsanitary. A lot of it is probably from all the smoking I've done on it? The ceiling of my covered balcony is black too. :lol: Anyway, I don't need a really clean grill, but I don't want it to scare my dinner guests either, so next time it will be a black grill, and I will never have to clean it again. :D
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata