In the market for a new grill. Suggestions please?

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I've had mine (Nexgrill 5 burner) for about 8 years and think its time for an upgrade. I saw a gas/charcoal grill combo at SAMs club the other day that looked amazing. It had a searing grill on the left, 3 burners, charcoal section and a smoker on the right.

Hoping I can get a deal since it's the end of the season.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Weber

Done
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    81 wrote:
    Weber

Done
    I don't get what's so special about weber. I feel like I can get a similar model for 300-500 instead of 700-1000
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    My parents have a Green Mountain wood pellet burning electric grill and it's pretty awesome.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Weber

Done
    I don't get what's so special about weber. I feel like I can get a similar model for 300-500 instead of 700-1000
    Basic charcoal only. 99.99 at your local store
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    grillz.jpg
    Heisenberg wrote:
    grillz.jpg
    :nono:

fs_old_dirty_bastard1.jpg
  • Weber all the way. Everything just cooks better and tastes better on it. I've had non-believers become convinced after a cookout, get their own, and then say they thought I was crazy until they got their own. I got mine for around $500, 3 flames, side burner. don't have to spend near $1000. Also, their prices are pretty much the same everywhere, So go on Ebay and buy a 10% off coupon for Lowe's or Home Depot. They are widely available, and will knock $50-$70 off for the cost of $3 or $4
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I bought my Dad a CHarBroil Infra Red a few years back and he loved it. I liked it to but you needed to be careful as it cooks food ridiculously fast. I mean literally you could burn a steak in 3 minutes if you weren't careful.

My opinion is and always will be charcoal, but it is more of a hassle overall.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,780
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Heisenberg wrote:
    grillz.jpg
    :nono:

fs_old_dirty_bastard1.jpg
    tumblr_m1if6xOu9L1r3jsrko1_400.jpg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Listen to 81 and Fighting Hellfish - Weber is the way to go.

Yes ,you will pay more but the grill will last forever. Weber's are well-build and well-designed. Plus, you can easily buy replacement parts if needed so you won't need to replace the whole grill if something breaks on it.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Does anyone ever use the side burner? I've never used it on any of my grills. I wish they sold one without it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • DS1119 wrote:
    I bought my Dad a CHarBroil Infra Red a few years back and he loved it. I liked it to but you needed to be careful as it cooks food ridiculously fast. I mean literally you could burn a steak in 3 minutes if you weren't careful.

I have an infrared and you're right...kind of hard to get that gorgeous sear on the outside without overcooking. Took me some trial and error to get used to. On the upside, there are never any flame ups when cooking chicken and such.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Does anyone ever use the side burner? I've never used it on any of my grills. I wish they sold one without it.

like once.

waste of space on a grill.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Portable is the way to go.

grill.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

I have an infrared and you're right...kind of hard to get that gorgeous sear on the outside without overcooking. Took me some trial and error to get used to. On the upside, there are never any flame ups when cooking chicken and such.

You are very right about the flame ups. Just don't happen.

I remember the first time my Dad and I tried the grill. We turned it on to heat up and sat around bullshitting for ten minutes or so. I went over to check it and the temperature gauge said something like 750-760 degrees! I was like...are we cooking some burgers here or shooting someone to the fucking moon! :lol: :fp:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,670
    I was looking at a Grill similar to you. Sams, Home Depot, and Lowes each have one. I went with Lowes because I had a 10% off coupon (by saying I was moving).

I love the grill. Lots of space... and having the charcoal side is wonderful, and I actually use the charcoal 95% of the time.

I got a good canvas cover off of Amazon and I make sure I take good care of it (keep it covered, clean, etc).

I would definitely recommend it. It probably wont last as long, and you dont get the taste-absorbing metal that Webers have. But at like $250, it is outstanding.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I went with Lowes because I had a 10% off coupon (by saying I was moving).

So you lied? :lol: :corn:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I'm another believer in Weber. The stainless grills are pricey but will last decades.

I'm also a huge fan of their $50 portable grill.

41DD5S9G0VL._SX355_.jpg
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The one that I was looking at doesn't have a side burner but it does have a searing grill. I would probably use that more than the side burner. It's 349 online, but it was 249 at the store

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/smoke-holl ... RRWidgetID
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,342
    Weber is great. Auto lighter still works fine after about 7 years. Recently had to replace the flavor bars is all (gotta get stainless steel; it comes with porcelain). You need a gas grill for easy, week night cooking. Charcoal takes forever and is more of an event.

My older grill, a Kenmore, burner didn't work so I had to use a match and always was singeing the hair on my hands.

Side burner is a waste of money.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Wow, the cheapest Weber gas is $700. I haven't had to look at grills in a while. Hopefully mine will hold on a little longer.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Weber is great. Auto lighter still works fine after about 7 years. Recently had to replace the flavor bars is all (gotta get stainless steel; it comes with porcelain). You need a gas grill for easy, week night cooking. Charcoal takes forever and is more of an event.

My older grill, a Kenmore, burner didn't work so I had to use a match and always was singeing the hair on my hands.

i've got a charbroil gas grill and the lighter barely worked on day one. one of those lighters with a long tip is the key.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Jason P wrote:
    I'm another believer in Weber. The stainless grills are pricey but will last decades.

I'm also a huge fan of their $50 portable grill.

41DD5S9G0VL._SX355_.jpg

we just got the Weber Smokey Joe. I had one in my past life (ex wife kept it) and it worked great.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,342
    81 wrote:

i've got a charbroil gas grill and the lighter barely worked on day one. one of those lighters with a long tip is the key.

I lit a match, threw it, and hoped for the best. :lol:

Yeah, better just to get a Weber.

$700 sounds like a whole lot, although Webers do cost more than other brands. I got one of the cheapest Webers, and it's still working great. Only 2 burners and no sideburner. It gets the job done.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I haven't got one but I've been hearing raves about the Big Green Egg. Pricey but supposedly last forever.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    I haven't got one but I've been hearing raves about the Big Green Egg. Pricey but supposedly last forever.

crazy priced.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

crazy priced.
    I know. Otherwise I'd be seriously tempted. Besides all the things you can use them for, supposedly self-cleaning.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,915
    I should take a picture of the piece of crap I use....bought it for $25 at a garage sale, probably 20 years ago....it does the job....the love I put into my grilling is more important than the grill itself.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I just want to go back to a charcoal grill. A few years ago my prince bought me a gas grill. I can't stand it! I used to love to grill, now I hardly ever do.

Maybe the OP would like my gas grill. :think:
    I just want to go back to a charcoal grill. A few years ago my prince bought me a gas grill. I can't stand it! I used to love to grill, now I hardly ever do.

Maybe the OP would like my gas grill. :think:
    hmm. how far into the fields are you? Can you deliver?