NBC drops Who performance from closing ceremonies...

2»

Comments

• Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    edited September 2012
    Post edited by Stardog3.. on
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    I do not quite grasp the concept of the Olympics. I am an ultra competitive sports junkie and bleed Detroit sports. But watching Olympics sports just does not make sense to me. Am I supposed to cheer for USA because I am American?! Does the medal count mean anything when the population of China is 1 billion people?! I don't think it is fair to say that a basketball player from the USA team is equal to another that plays for Australia. I just think there are too many factors that plays into the development of these athletes that makes the playing field just uneven. I dunno, maybe I am missing something.
  • givn2fly26givn2fly26 Posts: 395
    eddiec wrote:
    Bennyorr4 wrote:
    I'm not surprised, I mean they only showed sports that the USA were competing in. NBC should really pull their head out of their asses, there are other countries in the world. Maybe if Lady Gaga or Brittney Spears were on they would have kept it in. I agree, what a joke.

I think it's the same in most countries. The usually highlight their own athletes. On top of that the US has so many top athletes competing for medals that NBC isn't going to show you some guy from Kazakhstan in a canoe slalom.

True, I'm American but have lived in Australia for the last 7 years and the coverage was the same here. All about Aussie swimming and nothing else. Then just sports Australia were in (which weren't a lot). At least they showed some of the Dream Team games.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    chaslil wrote:
    They also edited out Ray Davies, Kate Bush and Muse (singing the official Olympics song no less!)

It pissed off a lot of people.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/13/sport ... index.html

yeah i really wanted tos ee Muse perform. Also heard they cut out Elbow :(
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I know I may take some heat for this statement but I really don't care. Kind of puts it into perspective of actually how non-important the games are to the genereal public of the US. I mean there are a lot of disappointed people here becasue of the connection between the WHo and PJ and it was cut and delayed...but overall it was more important to the Network to try and promote their new series while the US public was still awake.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I like watching the Olympics - always have, some of it maybe is because of watching when I was a kid. It was a great idea for NBC to have channels devoted to soccer and tennis and whatever - the streaming left a lot to be desired - way too many commercials, for example. The app was a total joke. Worked maybe twice.

I watched both the opening and closing ceremonies on what I guess was a BBC stream and they were both great. I get that NBC wanted to push their new vet show (wow, looks like a great show, doesn't it?), but what a horrible idea to shove it in there right in the middle of the Olympics - that's bullshit.

Costas doesn't bother me as much as Ryan Seacrest.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Yeah, I don't get why Ryan Seacrest was there.

I'd known for weeks that The Who would be at the closing ceremonies with the rumor that they'd perform last. But I still watched the whole thing and it was beyond annoying to keep hearing "Coming up: The Who!" only to have the program seemingly end and then postponed for an hour.

I didn't watch the new show, had no interest. Turned it back on for my band and they looked like they were having a blast! Some weird camera work--more shots of Simon than Pete but Pete was smiling and I loved Simon's shoes! :lol: So all in all, a great finale!

But I still think it sucks the way NBC broke up the program and I was especially bummed to have missed Ray Davies.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    DS1119 wrote:
    I know I may take some heat for this statement but I really don't care. Kind of puts it into perspective of actually how non-important the games are to the genereal public of the US. I mean there are a lot of disappointed people here becasue of the connection between the WHo and PJ and it was cut and delayed...but overall it was more important to the Network to try and promote their new series while the US public was still awake.
    I saw a survey yesterday and it said that 74% of Americans were following the Olympics. All but about 18% of that number were watching them on TV. I still don't get why you think nobody cared about them.
  • FrankY59 wrote:
    I do not quite grasp the concept of the Olympics. I am an ultra competitive sports junkie and bleed Detroit sports. But watching Olympics sports just does not make sense to me. Am I supposed to cheer for USA because I am American?! Does the medal count mean anything when the population of China is 1 billion people?! I don't think it is fair to say that a basketball player from the USA team is equal to another that plays for Australia. I just think there are too many factors that plays into the development of these athletes that makes the playing field just uneven. I dunno, maybe I am missing something.

yep you're missing something. why wouldn't you be proud of your country? don't feel guilty for its size or skill. i'm very proud of our US athletes. Such drive and sacrifice.
    And what Makes the olympics cool is when that guy from Grenada wins gold or the south african beats his idol phelps for gold. A good athlete can make up for a lot.
    I also liked seeing London and getting little tidbits of history of the UK. theres a lot to like. Looking forward to Rio and Sochi.
    DS1119 wrote:
    I saw a survey yesterday and it said that 74% of Americans were following the Olympics. All but about 18% of that number were watching them on TV. I still don't get why you think nobody cared about them.

Because the major network in the US chose to put on a pilot of a comedy show instead of showing the closing ceremonies. :lol: Have you seen the headlines across the US throughout the olympics? Baseball and football minicamps were more featured instead of the Olympics. :lol: Todays headlines were even more of an indication. I think my local paper didn;t even mention the olympics except for the medal count. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Because the major network in the US chose to put on a pilot of a comedy show instead of showing the closing ceremonies. :lol: Have you seen the headlines across the US throughout the olympics? Baseball and football minicamps were more featured instead of the Olympics. :lol: Todays headlines were even more of an indication. I think my local paper didn;t even mention the olympics except for the medal count. :lol:
    Well, my local paper was full of stories about it. Every day. The headline for the sports page on Sunday was about Usain Bolt and the Jamaican relay team setting a world record.

And there's this: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... 7654.story
    Well, my local paper was full of stories about it. Every day. The headline for the sports page on Sunday was about Usain Bolt and the Jamaican relay team setting a world record.

And there's this: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... 7654.story

I do beleive it can best be summed up with these quotes from the LA article you posted.

"with a total of 219.4 million viewing at least part of the coverage"

"The Super Bowl, for example, has in recent years set ratings records with about 100 million total viewers." 100 million viewers across a 6 hour span vs. 219 over a 17 day span. :lol:

"Of course, the Olympics unfolded over 17 days and across multiple networks in the NBC family, a record-breaking 5,535 hours in all, so the company had plenty of time and channel space to rack up that Everest-sized total."

"All of the top 10 "most-watched events" on Nielsen's list consist of Olympics, and all were telecast on NBC except for the Lillehammer Games in 1994, which ran on CBS. For the purposes of the statistics books, Nielsen counts someone as a "viewer" if that person watched as little as six minutes of a telecast."

You can put pig farming on enough channels over a long enough stretch and get ratings. :lol:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    FrankY59 wrote:

Pretty simple concept. The best athletes from around the world representing their countries. Sure, some countries may have advantages when it comes to development of the athletes, but you could easily say that about any sport.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    DS1119 wrote:

I do beleive it can best be summed up with these quotes from the LA article you posted.

"The Super Bowl, for example, has in recent years set ratings records with about 100 million total viewers." 100 million viewers across a 6 hour span vs. 219 over a 17 day span. :lol:

"Of course, the Olympics unfolded over 17 days and across multiple networks in the NBC family, a record-breaking 5,535 hours in all, so the company had plenty of time and channel space to rack up that Everest-sized total."

"All of the top 10 "most-watched events" on Nielsen's list consist of Olympics, and all were telecast on NBC except for the Lillehammer Games in 1994, which ran on CBS. For the purposes of the statistics books, Nielsen counts someone as a "viewer" if that person watched as little as six minutes of a telecast."

You can put pig farming on enough channels over a long enough stretch and get ratings. :lol:

It's obvious you just don't like the Olympics. They averaged 31 million viewers a night. That's pretty impressive to me. Obviously it is nowhere near the Super Bowl, but there are plenty of people out there who cared and obviously watched the Olympics.
    DS1119 wrote:

It's obvious you just don't like the Olympics. They averaged 31 million viewers a night. That's pretty impressive to me. Obviously it is nowhere near the Super Bowl, but there are plenty of people out there who cared and obviously watched the Olympics.
    THANK YOU.