NBC drops Who performance from closing ceremonies...

F5F5 Posts: 791
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Couldn't believe NBC decided America could live without watching The Who perform during the closing ceremonies. What a joke.
Bridge - 10/25/03
Mansfield I - 6/28/08
Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
Salt Lake City 9/28/09
LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
San Diego 10/9/09
Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
Ashbury Park 9/18/21
LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
Phoenix 05/09/22
NYC 9/11/22
Denver 9/22/22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Bennyorr4Bennyorr4 Posts: 307
    I'm not surprised, I mean they only showed sports that the USA were competing in. NBC should really pull their head out of their asses, there are other countries in the world. Maybe if Lady Gaga or Brittney Spears were on they would have kept it in. I agree, what a joke.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,351
    And I thought CTV's coverage with horrible disturbing commercials was bad, NBC not showing the Who performance till after their new sitcom, Animal Practice, get's air first. Really?
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    I find the whole treatment of the Olympics by US broadcasters completely depressing and somewhat astonishing... it's still the greatest show on earth you know, even when it's not being held in your own backyard :nono: America seems to be losing touch with the rest of the world more and more as each day goes by.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Reading the thread at AET forum,i saw that whole cover of the games from nbc was so bad
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Bennyorr4 wrote:
    I'm not surprised, I mean they only showed sports that the USA were competing in. NBC should really pull their head out of their asses, there are other countries in the world. Maybe if Lady Gaga or Brittney Spears were on they would have kept it in. I agree, what a joke.

I think it's the same in most countries. The usually highlight their own athletes. On top of that the US has so many top athletes competing for medals that NBC isn't going to show you some guy from Kazakhstan in a canoe slalom.
    eddiec wrote:
    Bennyorr4 wrote:

I think it's the same in most countries. The usually highlight their own athletes. On top of that the US has so many top athletes competing for medals that NBC isn't going to show you some guy from Kazakhstan in a canoe slalom.

Here in greece we had 3 national channels that cover all.the one had all swimming and athletics.whena greek atlete was in an event we could see his attempt.but we saw al the event at swim and athletics.the rest 2 chanels we saw the rest of sports.cos of alot of events the same time they play some later.they did great job..no censorship.all great
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    I think it also has to be said that the performance was pretty stellar, or I thought anyway
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    eddiec wrote:

Here in greece we had 3 national channels that cover all.the one had all swimming and athletics.whena greek atlete was in an event we could see his attempt.but we saw al the event at swim and athletics.the rest 2 chanels we saw the rest of sports.cos of alot of events the same time they play some later.they did great job..no censorship.all great

Yeah, I watched most of it on BBC here in Ireland. You did have a choice of sports(on the red button :lol: ) I didn't see any of the coverage on NBC but have watched many Olympics in the past in the States and always thought it was great coverage. Maybe they got it wrong this year.
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I saw this announced on Facebook that they were playing, then watched the rest of the ceremony specifically for this performance. :evil:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Really??? Shit. I recorded the last hour so I could watch The Who performance. That sucks.

I didn't think the NBC coverage was that bad.....they had coverage on like 5-6 different channels. The whole tape delay thing sucked, but I can't really blame them for waiting until prime time on weeknights to air the big events instead of airing them live at 2-3pm....most of the world is working. On the weekends though, I don't see why they wouldn't air everthing live.
  • eddiec wrote:
    Bennyorr4 wrote:

Ya it was pretty much the same here in Canada,lots of other nations events shown,I got totally sucked into the Japan/Korea volleyball final lol
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Yeah, it was a stellar performance from The Who. Wasn't surprised when they were announced since I thought they would be, but it was fun to watch.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    NBC had lots of different channels showing a lot of different countries. Hell, they had a Soccer channel and a Basketball channel. And basically used another channel for boxing. I saw a lot of different competitors. And it is not surprising that they showed more US athletes in the US, to think otherwise would be crazy. That's what the viewing public wanted.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    NBC had lots of different channels showing a lot of different countries. Hell, they had a Soccer channel and a Basketball channel. And basically used another channel for boxing. I saw a lot of different competitors. And it is not surprising that they showed more US athletes in the US, to think otherwise would be crazy. That's what the viewing public wanted.

Exactly. The USA won the most medals, so there are a lot of events to show with US competitors. If you are a country that won only 5 medals, it would be depressing to only watch your country's events (and you would miss out on a lot of finals).

People like to complain. For all the complainers, I wonder how many could have actually got out of work to watch the events live in the afternoon.

Exactly. The USA won the most medals, so there are a lot of events to show with US competitors. If you are a country that won only 5 medals, it would be depressing to only watch your country's events (and you would miss out on a lot of finals).

People like to complain. For all the complainers, I wonder how many could have actually got out of work to watch the events live in the afternoon.

Most likely, most of the complainers were at home and that's why they were pissed that they weren't on live. I have some friends that are teachers and they were really pissed about it. I said "Guys, I wouldn't see a single event except on the weekend. Not everyone is home." It's understandable since they could see it they wanted to. But the majority would have missed it all.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    and advertize the who playing 'teenage wasteland' and 'my generation'.. NBC you failed again.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • BandogBandog Posts: 44
    The coverage was actually very good. All you had to do was log into NBColympics.com and you could find out exactly what time and channel the sport you wanted to watch would be on. I'm a wrestler and I got to see tons of great coverage on MSNBC and NBC Sports. If you really wanted to see everything live all you had to do was watch it online. (By the way we had two Gold Medalists!)

The prime time coverage on NBC is more for an audience who just wants to see our own guys and gals winning medals in more main stream sports. It's not always perfect but if you're in NBC's shoes I think it's about as good as you can do it. As for dropping the Who, I see their point as to dropping them. The top priority for a network has to be trying to launch a show that could potentially make them a lot of money (although the show looks really lame). It's not showing a performance by a forty year old rock band, even if it is one as legendary as the Who.
  • chaslilchaslil Posts: 312
    They also edited out Ray Davies, Kate Bush and Muse (singing the official Olympics song no less!)

It pissed off a lot of people.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/13/sport ... index.html
    Charles
    "The Who is my life. Pearl Jam is my retirement"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Costas needs to retire. That's all I have to add. :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    mfc2006 wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • NitroNitro Posts: 265
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

I think Bob Costas is awesome, and I mean that.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Nitro wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

I think Bob Costas is awesome, and I mean that.

to each, their own.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • what did the who play? anyone know?
  • TN70407TN70407 Posts: 206
    I think the worst part was that all during the closing ceremonies the announcers kept saying things like "..and stay tuned later for the who." It wasn't until the last minute that they said it was part of some post ceremony show an hour later.

NBC Fail
    what did the who play? anyone know?
    Baba
    See me Feel me
    My Generation
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I think NBC did a pretty good job aside from the deal with the gymnastics where they switched around the orders to add drama for those that didn't already know the outcome.

The US led in medals so it's gonna seem like they only highlighted the sports where the US were the focus.
    I saw plenty of Usain Bolt. Did other countries highlight Michael Phelps' run the way NBC did for Bolt? None of the basketball games, probably the biggest stars in the Olympics were shown in primetime.

Last time The Who had a major tv performance, at the Superbowl, it was abysmal. I was looking forward to catching the performance but I can't say I was that let down by it not being shown.

I don't see what's so bad about Bob Costas. The Olympics aren't his forte, but for something as big as the Olympics it's tough to get somebody as well known.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

Really???? I love Costas. One of thsoe guys you rarely hear anything bad about.

I am still wondering why the hell Ryan Seacrest was involved with the olympics. They sports broadcasting greats like Dan Patrick, Al Michaels, and Costas and then we have to listen to Ryan Seacrest?!?!? That was brutal.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Those closing ceremonies sucked ass how could they have the kasier chiefs play a who song i found that to be a slap in Pete's face ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Those closing ceremonies sucked ass how could they have the kasier chiefs play a who song i found that to be a slap in Pete's face ......

Why exactly?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 728
    And why Queen would let Jessie J sing We Will Rock You I have no idea, that was just awful!!

I had heard rumours of a Pink Floyd reunion instead we get Nick Mason with Mike Rutherford
    and others. Sounded OK but quite a letdown.
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin