When you see a misspelling.

Om RemedyOm Remedy Posts: 101
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Can you continue with the sentence, or do you have to figure out the right spelling?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MissJam81MissJam81 Posts: 1,878
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: I have to figure out the misspelling! I cant rest until I do it! :lol::lol: funny topic! :thumbup:
    Wendy Testaburger

" we're going to take this to some level that people aren't going to forget... and if that means risking your life, we're going to do it!..." EV

"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    i never do mistakes at Eglnihs
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    I usually correct it in my head and read on. Spelling errors drive me crazy...must be the teacher in me ;)
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Oh my goodness I am such a spelling and grammar nazi,it's terrible.I read many reports for work.I almost need to tie my hands together sometimes to stop myself from dragging a red pen through mistakes :oops:

Poorly written anything drives me nuts. Language is so rich and wonderful why mess with it ... and don't even get me started on text speak! :twisted: I refuse to use it,most phones have 5000 character capacity ... use them people! :mrgreen:

Yes I did triple check my spelling of this post :oops:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Oh my goodness I am such a spelling and grammar nazi,it's terrible.I read many reports for work.I almost need to tie my hands together sometimes to stop myself from dragging a red pen through mistakes :oops:

Poorly written anything drives me nuts. Language is so rich and wonderful why mess with it ... and don't even get me started on text speak! :twisted: I refuse to use it,most phones have 5000 character capacity ... use them people! :mrgreen:

Yes I did triple check my spelling of this post :oops:
    Spelling doesn't bug me nearly as much as usage stupidity. Why does it seem like the majority of people now don't know or care about the difference between your and you're??? That one REALLY bugs me, and it's everywhere!
    That "I could care less" thing drives me bananas too. It doesn't even make sense, yet it seems like Americans in particular haven't even noticed! Grr. Compared to those two things, I COULDN'T care less about spelling. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I just assume that someone either doesn't know the correct spelling or was typing too fast. I usually don't waste time on it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    I just assume that someone either doesn't know the correct spelling or was typing too fast. I usually don't waste time on it.
    Yeah, with predictive text and touch screen keypads, I hope the people aren't overly judgy. Those two things sometimes make my posts barely coherent! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    It doesn't really beg me.
  • i try not to pay attention to it because I've been guilty of typos myself.

Just last week I sent an email using YOUR instead of YOU'RE. I feel like an idiot...
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    That "I could care less" thing drives me bananas too. It doesn't even make sense, yet it seems like Americans in particular haven't even noticed!

I've never seen/heard "I could care less". "I couldn't care less" I have seen/heard though.

I guess it boils down to what you're willing to let somebody get away with saying. Even "drives me bananas" doesn't make sense when you think about it, but we know what you mean.

Unless I missed the meeting about the psychotic bananas that have been tearing up the countryside. Then yeah, bananas are crazy as fuck.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Ha! I sent an email to the whole office on Friday that said quite instead of quiet, and I to felt like an idiot.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    That "I could care less" thing drives me bananas too. It doesn't even make sense, yet it seems like Americans in particular haven't even noticed!

I've never seen/heard "I could care less". "I couldn't care less" I have seen/heard though.

I guess it boils down to what you're willing to let somebody get away with saying. Even "drives me bananas" doesn't make sense when you think about it, but we know what you mean.

Unless I missed the meeting about the psychotic bananas that have been tearing up the countryside. Then yeah, bananas are crazy as fuck.
    "I could care less" is commony used in the US (I see it all the time and it's even so common that there is a YouTube vid from a British comedian about it), but I don't know how the mis-usage took hold. It literally means the exact opposite of what is intended, which is why it bugs me. That's not the same as phrases like "drives me bananas".
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

"I could care less" is commony used in the US (I see it all the time and it's even so common that there is a YouTube vid from a British comedian about it), but I don't know how the mis-usage took hold. It literally means the exact opposite of what is intended, which is why it bugs me. That's not the same as phrases like "drives me bananas".

Then you should probably ask yourself, does it "drive you bananas" because Americans say it (lived here my whole life and never heard that) or because the meaning is mixed? Because last I checked, bananas aren't crazy, I'm no fruit expert but I've never seen them show emotion or react to anything.

Either way, I could care less.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Then you should probably ask yourself, does it "drive you bananas" because Americans say it (lived here my whole life and never heard that) or because the meaning is mixed? Because last I checked, bananas aren't crazy, I'm no fruit expert but I've never seen them show emotion or react to anything.

Either way, I could care less.
    Of course it's not because it's Americans who say it. I like Americans. Not sure where that question came from? It just happens to be them who created the mis-usage. I find it incredibly surprising that you've never even read this usage on discussion boards or anything. But anyway, just take my word for it i guess - it's super common.

Being completely grammatically incorrect and using a term that states the exact opposite of the intended meaning because of it isn't at all the same as using colloquialisms. We're talking about two completely different things altogether. Colloquialisms and metaphors, etc aren't grammatically incorrect so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. I thought we were talking about spelling and grammar? ... so you could care less? So you care then... ;)
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Of course it's not because it's Americans who say it. I like Americans. It just happens to be them who created the mis-usage. I find it incredibly surprising that you've never even read this usage on dis ussioj boards or anything. But anyway, just take my word for it i guess - it's super common.

Being completely grammatically incorrect and using a term that states the exact opposite of the intended meaning because of it isn't at all the same as using colloquialisms. We're talking about two completely different things altogether.

I was just curious, as you have started at least two anti-American (and I don't mean death to America, just random gripes about America which are OK, but just makes me wonder) threads. I think you might not like us as much as you tell yourself (and us) you do. And I'm not entirely sure why I should take your word for what is "super common" in America when I live here and you don't. All Australian-isms are perfectly correct though I'm sure.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I don't care if others misspell, I just try to avoid doing it myself. But being a translator, I have to know my shit, and I sometimes have a really good laugh at other people's creative use with words :D
    What I notice a lot of times is that people are using "of" instead of "have", like in "I would of done so ..." That is a weird mistake to me. But I'm not a native speaker of English, I only observe while learning more.

In the end we are all humans and it's just letters - if your message comes across it's all good, in my opinion. Even misspellings or uses in wrong contexts can make using a language a lot of fun :)
    I don't care if others misspell, I just try to avoid doing it myself. But being a translator, I have to know my shit, and I sometimes have a really good laugh at other people's creative use with words :D
    What I notice a lot of times is that people are using "of" instead of "have", like in "I would of done so ..." That is a weird mistake to me. But I'm not a native speaker of English, I only observe while learning more.

In the end we are all humans and it's just letters - if your message comes across it's all good, in my opinion. Even misspellings or uses in wrong contexts can make using a language a lot of fun :)

Hey now, you're not supposed to not look down on others here.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Of course it's not because it's Americans who say it. I like Americans. It just happens to be them who created the mis-usage. I find it incredibly surprising that you've never even read this usage on dis ussioj boards or anything. But anyway, just take my word for it i guess - it's super common.

Being completely grammatically incorrect and using a term that states the exact opposite of the intended meaning because of it isn't at all the same as using colloquialisms. We're talking about two completely different things altogether.

I was just curious, as you have started at least two anti-American (and I don't mean death to America, just random gripes about America which are OK, but just makes me wonder) threads. I think you might not like us as much as you tell yourself (and us) you do. And I'm not entirely sure why I should take your word for what is "super common" in America when I live here and you don't. All Australian-isms are perfectly correct though I'm sure.
    Sorry, you're just plain wrong and I find what you say a bit offensive. I Iike Americans at least as well as I like any nationality (all of which have their good and bad sides, including Canadians). I live half an hour from the US border, and spend plenty of time there. Not sure why you mentioned Australia... I really don't get how you took what I said and went so far off the track! Do yo really think that saying Americans for some reason often say "could care less" is anti American??? :lol::lol: .. Maybe you are just bored late at night and trying to pick a fight?? :?
    Anyway, this has turned into a stupid conversation, so I think I'll just step out of it now. But I am curious to know what "anti American" threads I have started!
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Sorry, you're just plain wrong and I find what you say a bit offensive. I Iike Americans at least as well as I like any nationality (all of which have their good and bad sides, including Canadians). I live half an hour from the US border, and spend plenty of time there. Not sure why you mentioned Australia... I really don't get how you took what I said and went so far off the track!

I actually had you mixed up with an Australian person on the board is why. But as a Canadian/American I "know" how it normally goes up there as much as you do here. By the way, the biggest racist I know is Canadian, so I guess I can project that on your whole country. In fact he called me "N-Word Balls" today without using "N-word". I guess all you guys drop the n-bomb up there in Canada. Don't even get him started on Mexicans. Or our co-worker who is from Portugal that he calls Mexican. The bottom line is you started out calling out people from countries, so that's on you.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Sorry, you're just plain wrong and I find what you say a bit offensive. I Iike Americans at least as well as I like any nationality (all of which have their good and bad sides, including Canadians). I live half an hour from the US border, and spend plenty of time there. Not sure why you mentioned Australia... I really don't get how you took what I said and went so far off the track!

I actually had you mixed up with an Australian person on the board is why. But as a Canadian/American I "know" how it normally goes up there as much as you do here. By the way, the biggest racist I know is Canadian, so I guess I can project that on your whole country. In fact he called me "N-Word Balls" today without using "N-word". I guess all you guys drop the n-bomb up there in Canada. Don't even get him started on Mexicans. Or our co-worker who is from Portugal that he calls Mexican. The bottom line is you started out calling out people from countries, so that's on you.
    :fp: :fp: wft dude. Are you drunk or something???? You're comparing some racist and the n-word to a grammatically incorrect phrase? And getting offended about me finding "I could care less" annoying? Do you need me to send you a chill pill?
    :lol:

You are seriously priceless.

Oh, why thank you! :D
    PJ_Soul wrote:

You're quite welcome. As long as a puppet dog doesn't say anything about Canada you guys are always on top of your game. Otherwise Canada becomes a race overnight, and you try to file lawsuits over a puppet dog with a fake cigar in it's mouth over some jokes made by Adam Sandler's friend. Defcon 1
    PJ_Soul wrote:

You're quite welcome. As long as a puppet dog doesn't say anything about Canada you guys are always on top of your game. Otherwise Canada becomes a race overnight, and you try to file lawsuits over a puppet dog with a fake cigar in it's mouth over some jokes made by Adam Sandler's friend. Defcon 1
    Wtf. :fp:
    I'd appreciate it if you didn't pm me and call me a bigot again . Thanks so much.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'd appreciate it if you didn't pm me and call me a bigot again . Thanks so much.

Are you actually serious right now?
    Kan't we all just get a long? :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

Shut up CT2228
    DS1119 wrote: