Was she "asking for it"?

2»

Comments

• RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Thoughts?

Rape is rape..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzCHUsGgZI
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    no she wasnt asking for it. henry hopper is an adult. what the fuck was he doing inviting a 15 year old to his place? bad form henry bad form.
    100% agree!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    Don't want to be charged with rape? Know what the laws are and know that it's a crime about consent, not about force. Don't have sex with anyone under the legal age of consent. Don't have sex with someone who is unable to consent because they are under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Seems like he was batting 0 for 2 here. I'm not sure if she was asking for it, but seems as though he was.

P.S. - Not sure what state this was in or if it meets the technical guidelines of "statutory rape". In NJ there has to be an age difference of 4 or more years, but generally having sex with someone under 16 is going to be a fine line.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Loulou wrote:
    no she wasnt asking for it. henry hopper is an adult. what the fuck was he doing inviting a 15 year old to his place? bad form henry bad form.
    100% agree!
    exactly..what a lame excuse is that she asking for it..?
    15 years old is still a child,even now days they dont look like their age but older the way they dressed and put make up...
    no matter what the girl look like,party girl or not,or whatever,when u invite your home a 15 years old ,you already doing a mistake and there are laws for those type of mistakes....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    did he know she was 15? I blame those stupid American pageant shows where they dress 6 year old girls to look like 14 year old Vietnamese lady-girl-thingies.

I also blame Dennis Hoppers son for being a bit of a sleazy fucker... but did he know she was 15? I think kids, both male and female, try to make themselves look older these days... when in my day I was still getting a half fare on the bus until i was 23.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Yes more than just trying to look older, kids are exposed to so much
    from even elementary age on. That effects decisions when they are not mature enough
    to understand consequence. They are growing up too soon.

All are to blame here. The parents most likely, the young man of 21,
    he should be smart enough to know the law and consequences ...
    isn't that rule one for a guy ? .... no jail bait.
    The young lady because she must learn to protect her body, in more ways than one,
    stay away from drugs and alcohol.

Some kids are without forethought and risk takers. It's all about fun
    and hindsight is 20 20 ... how they learn, school of hard knocks. Just don't want
    the knocks to be so hard that is ruins their life.
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    Everyone is in the wrong here, boy, girl, and mom. 1st of all, why the fuck are you inviting a 15 year old girl over for drinks and drugs? Arrestable offense right there.

From what I read online, the girl never said the sexual contact was without consent, not saying that this is right, but I just think that it does make a difference, that the girl did not have a problem with what was going on, it was the mother that had the problem. Don't get me wrong, it's still wrong, just maybe should have been handled privately.

Finally, what the fuck is wrong with this mother, dragging this all out in public. I know that I would be pissed and want to kill this guy if I were her, but doing this in public may fuck up her daughter's head for the rest of her life, if it isn't already. If she is after money, she could have done it privately. If she is out for revenge, she could have also done this out of the spotlight.

The sad thing is that this isn't the first time something like this happend, and it won't be the last.

Oh yeah, and all the stories that have been told on this thread really don't compare to this story. All of the cases you guys have stated about sleeping with an ex and getting in trouble really don't apply here. In your stories you were dating and were much closer in age than this story. It really is not the same at all here. I don't see anything wrong besides the law in all of your stories, but in this story I see everything wrong. You all seem to be good people, this does not seem like a story of "good people".
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    Don't want to be charged with rape? Know what the laws are and know that it's a crime about consent, not about force. Don't have sex with anyone under the legal age of consent. Don't have sex with someone who is unable to consent because they are under the influence of drugs and alcohol. Seems like he was batting 0 for 2 here. I'm not sure if she was asking for it, but seems as though he was.

P.S. - Not sure what state this was in or if it meets the technical guidelines of "statutory rape". In NJ there has to be an age difference of 4 or more years, but generally having sex with someone under 16 is going to be a fine line.
    Had a chance to find out more about his case. I didn't know his age when I first responded. It appears that in California this would be considered statutory rape and he could be charged with a felony.

California

§ 261. 5(b)-(d)
    Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony

Aside from the age issue, the fact that she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol would mean she is also unable to consent. So again, he's 0 for 2 here.

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i always put myself in the situation, like if i were a 15 year old boy and a 21 year old women invited me over for drinks and drugs and sex, i would think this is the greatest night of my life, and it would have been up to that point.

but in the same way by the time i was 21 i knew better than to do what this guy did.

does seem something of a double standard imo
    [
    Aside from the age issue, the fact that she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol would mean she is also unable to consent. So again, he's 0 for 2 here.
    i agree 101%
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I've violated more than one hopper in my lifetime.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I've violated more than one hopper in my lifetime.

Dont Brag, it's not becoming
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    BOTH are at fault and also add the mother to this. I'm sorry but at 15, she should've known better. And at 21 he def KNEW better. in my opinion, yes she was asking for it. Up until she got caught. If you're gonna blame 1 you have to blame both. All this talk about her only being 15, come on community, what were all of us doing at 15? And he's just a fucken idiot! And to be honest, prob not the first time HE'S done something like that. Prob preys on the young. Hey DS, do some of that price is right investigation shit on this guy and see if he ever was on "To Catch A Predator."
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    Everyone's got good points here. It's a shame that it happened, but with parents afraid to actually do any parenting nowadays, it's going to keep happening. Kids need a slap every now and then.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    lured?

has the girl said anything about it being consensual? if yes, no case in my book....if she said no...then there should be issues.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    The lawsuit details that the young girl, named in the legal papers as Jan Doe, visited Hopper's home on several occasions during which the actor would supply her with alcohol before engaging in "sexually offensive conduct," which according to TMZ included "sexual intercourse, forced oral copulation and sodomy."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/3 ... ertainment

Looks like she visited him several times. Yes a 15 year old should 'know better', but everybody grows up in a different environment and she could have been very naive. She probably was also flattered some 'famous person' wanted to 'hang out' with her.

This part of the article makes me think that she liked the drugs and alcohol and Henry gave her the old, "I bought you beer, and drugs...do a little favor for me"

As people have said, "no means no"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • When I was 15, I had absolutely no realistic sense of what was a dangerous situation. I thought older guys were really cool and their interest in me was a sign of my own maturity. :fp:

I was very stupid. I'm extremely fortunate that I never came to any harm.

So I don't buy the idea that this girl knew the risk she was taking. It disgusts me that anyone would suggest that she knowingly put herself in situation where a man--who certainly knew what he was doing!--could take advantage of her.

I haven't gotten through all of the responses...

totally agree with you. What 15 year old has a realistic sense of anything? They want to be adults tomorrow yet they still watch the fricking disney channel!

I'm actually very offended with some comments here.. go watch Jodie Foster's "The Accused" and then think about it some more...
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    i always put myself in the situation, like if i were a 15 year old boy and a 21 year old women invited me over for drinks and drugs and sex, i would think this is the greatest night of my life, and it would have been up to that point.

but in the same way by the time i was 21 i knew better than to do what this guy did.

THANK YOU.

I've already posted this but again, I did some spectacularly stupid things when I was 15. It makes me cringe to think about them. I thought I knew everything about the world and I didn't know a thing.

To say that just because you never did anything like this at that age, then a 15 year old girl must " know better" is blaming the victim. To ask "did he know she was just 15, she might have looked 22" is absolving the guy.

Teenagers take ridiculous risks ALL THE TIME. It's part of the nature of adolescence. They drink too much, drive too fast, have unprotected sex and do a host of other things. For most kids, it will be an occasional testing of their boundaries and they won't have any serious repercussions. Some kids though will pay for their mistakes in a big way. We all make mistakes. Just because ours didn't have such drastic consequences is no reason to say that we were right and this girl was wrong.

I was a rape crisis volunteer in the 1980s and I can't believe that in this day and time people are still suggesting that someone "asked for it."
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

THANK YOU.

I've already posted this but again, I did some spectacularly stupid things when I was 15. It makes me cringe to think about them. I thought I knew everything about the world and I didn't know a thing.

To say that just because you never did anything like this at that age, then a 15 year old girl must " know better" is blaming the victim. To ask "did he know she was just 15, she might have looked 22" is absolving the guy.

Teenagers take ridiculous risks ALL THE TIME. It's part of the nature of adolescence. They drink too much, drive too fast, have unprotected sex and do a host of other things. For most kids, it will be an occasional testing of their boundaries and they won't have any serious repercussions. Some kids though will pay for their mistakes in a big way. We all make mistakes. Just because ours didn't have such drastic consequences is no reason to say that we were right and this girl was wrong.

I was a rape crisis volunteer in the 1980s and I can't believe that in this day and time people are still suggesting that someone "asked for it."
    you are right..
    for me ...15 years old is still a kid...
    she think she knows,but she dont know shit,and easy to be fooled..as Lisa said,21 years old boy,kinda famous,probably rich,have it all..who wouldnt to hung out with him?
    law must protect the girls at this age..

THANK YOU.

Exactly! The part of the brain that has to do with risk taking hasn't completely formed yet, so of course teens take stupid risks. Most adults probably look back at situations and realize that. Poor judgment does not equate to "asking for it."

At 38 I still find it hard to understand that anyone could ever think they have a right to do something to my body unless I've consented to it. This is going to be even harder for a 15 year old to comprehend, especially if the guy has been nice to her. So at 15, many girls will spend time with a guy, maybe go to his house, maybe drink or do drugs, and truly believe that the guy will respect wherever the line is drawn. As adults we realized that's often not the case, yet that line should always be respected.

She didn't need to say no. The fact that she was underage and intoxicated is the "no." The law recognizes that. It was Hopper's job to know that. Shame on him if he didn't. In every other circumstance it's our job to know the law and respect it or face the consequence. If I don't realize the speed limit on a road is 45 and I get clocked doing 60, I'm getting that ticket regardless. "I didn't know" doesn't cut it.

• LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    "Qualifications?"
    "Rape, murder, arson and rape."
    "You said 'rape' twice."
    "I like rape."

:lol:

Sorry, just had to add a little humor. One of my favorite lines from a movie.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,011
    This thread is closed. Too many inappropriate posts & derailing topic integrity. There is nothing funny about rape.
This discussion has been closed.