My Epic USA trip - all hints, tips and suggestions welcome

Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi Guys
So its just over a week til I hit the hopefully sunny USA and I am wondering if people have any suggestions in relation to where we are going Pearl Jam, music, outdoors or otherwise. All accommodation has now been booked but we are pretty loose with what we are doing during the day. I've picked up some tips from other threads but this is the whole thing :) And YES I will be paying back for this FOREVER :D

2nd-6th Aug Chicago for Lollapalooza
Tips received:

Lolla is probably one of the best run fests in the US and Chicago has a TON of stuff to do... be it shopping (Magnificent Mile), culture (Museum of Natural History), sports (Wrigley Field), or the shitload of bars/clubs/restaurants
It's right downtown, so there's a ton of stuff around...it's right on the lake, Navy Pier and all the touristy stuff isn't far away, there's the Sears (Willis) Tower, Art Institute, museums and everything right there.

Oh, and while you're in town, stop and have a pizza at Lou Malnati's, Gino's East or Giordano's. Cause that's what we do bestbring something waterproof to sit down on

Fly to seattle
6&7th aug seattle
Tips from other thread:
EMP
Discovery Park
Space Needle
Magnuson Park
The Soundgarden
Benaroya Hall
Easy Street Records, West Seattle
Kurt Cobain's Memorial
Key Arena
Pike's Place Market
The Showbox
Ten Club (where are you 10Club?)
Visit King Tut Exhibit at Science Center
Spend some time in bookstores...I'm a librarian, gotta go there!!!
Seattle Public Library
Layne Stayley Memorial (rumored to be on Bainbridge Island??) anyone know if this is true?
The Crocodile Cafe

8&9th aug La Push beach on Olympic peninsula

10th Lake Quinault

11th Olympia
Tips: The capitol building is pretty cool, there's a couple of old theaters and fish brewing (small local brewery) does tours I believe. I think there's actually a lot of sightseeing here to do... especially if you're into nature. Puget sound is gorgeous... and there's the mima mounds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mima_mounds. There's a trail that goes around capitol lake and right up to the old olympia brewery.

12th Manzinita Oregon

13&14th Portland

Fly to Vegas drive to Utah
15&16th Bryce Canyon

17th Torrey

18, 19 & 20th Moab

21st Monument Valley

22nd Lake Powell

23rd Vegas

24&25th LA

26th California coast

27th Santa Cruz

28&29th Yosemite

30,31,& 1st Sept San Francisco

fly home! take a holiday cause so wrecked ;)

So if theres anything going on or worth seeing you think please let me know :)
cheers fi
168dcfb.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    I'm on the opposite side of the country but your trip sounds amazing. I know that RYEzupSF could drop some knowledge about San Fran
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    what kind of food do you like to eat?

while in Seattle I would recommend eating at The 5 Point-greasy spoon, or at Lowell's in Pike Place Market (great views of the Sound). For really good seafood, go to McCormick & Schmick's, Anthony's, or The Crab Pot.

Get a cupcake at Cupcake Royale-they use all local and fresh ingredients, no preservatives. The coffee there is TO DIE FOR! Stumptown coffee, that is the only coffee that I can drink black.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Awesome! Enjoy your time in Utah (Bryce, Moab, Monument Valley, Powell). There are some fucking incredible sights to be seen in that part of the state. Lake Powell has great swimming and cliff diving.

It's too bad you won't be stopping in Zion (personally, my favorite of Utah's 5 National Parks) and part of the Grand Canyon, but you've got plenty of cool shit on your itinerary.

Be safe and enjoy. It is my opinion that the Western US is one of the most beautiful and diverse places around.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Stumptown coffee, that is the only coffee that I can drink black.

Had some of that on a recent trip to Portland. It is indeed great coffee.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I live on the East Coast so I couldn't really tell you alot, but definitely try to go up to the top of the Sears Tower while in Chicago if it's a clear day. Amazing view! I could spend hours up there taking pictures and just looking out onto the city.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • ExpatriateExpatriate Posts: 53
    Sounds like a great trip. While in Moab/Arches I would get tickets to the Fiery Furnace hike. It is a ranger led hike and limited to about 20 people per hike. They fill up weeks in advance. The hike is pretty easy so don't be scared off by some other reviews. My 7 and 5 year olds did the entire thing by themselves and I carried a two year old on my back. There are some narrow spots but it is a great hike. I would recommend an early time as the temperature gets ridiculous in the afternoon. Have fun!
    oh, I forget about it.

Go to the Columbia Center Observation area. It's called a 'deck' but it's inside so I don't consider it a 'deck'.

It's on the 75th floor or something, taller than the Space Needle-yo will actually look down on the Space Needle. The elevators will make your stomach drop when it's going down. :lol: (I think you have to take 2 different ones)
    Costs about $10, cheaper than the Space Needle and taller. The ladies washroom was voted as one of 'The most amazing bathrooms in the world' for the view (using it is only available to Columbia Club members).

Observation deck view:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2ISxn6BNrT6X3gTPsgWY8cgefy5OrA5gi19Q2ofOa_57y0zpAxA
    (the big double decker road is the viaduct, they are in the process of tearing it down.)

june20_tower2.jpg
    (the Space Needle is circled)

ladies washroom view:
    peeinstyle.jpg
    (the men don't get a view :lol: )
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    I think you should skip San Fran and go to Montana at the end of Sept. I hear theres this little shindig happening then.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    RKCNDY wrote:
    oh, I forget about it.

Go to the Columbia Center Observation area. It's called a 'deck' but it's inside so I don't consider it a 'deck'.

It's on the 75th floor or something, taller than the Space Needle-yo will actually look down on the Space Needle. The elevators will make your stomach drop when it's going down. :lol: (I think you have to take 2 different ones)
    Costs about $10, cheaper than the Space Needle and taller. The ladies washroom was voted as one of 'The most amazing bathrooms in the world' for the view (using it is only available to Columbia Club members).

Observation deck view:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2ISxn6BNrT6X3gTPsgWY8cgefy5OrA5gi19Q2ofOa_57y0zpAxA
    (the big double decker road is the viaduct, they are in the process of tearing it down.)

june20_tower2.jpg
    (the Space Needle is circled)

ladies washroom view:
    peeinstyle.jpg
    (the men don't get a view :lol: )

Wish I would've known about this when I went to Seattle 3 years ago. The Space Needle, with all due respect, was a rip off. Okay, maybe that's an overstatement. It was cool to be in the structure, and go to the top, but the price of admission was ridiculous in my opinion.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Wish I would've known about this when I went to Seattle 3 years ago. The Space Needle, with all due respect, was a rip off. Okay, maybe that's an overstatement. It was cool to be in the structure, and go to the top, but the price of admission was ridiculous in my opinion.

yeah, not many people know about the Columbia Tower since it's 'downtown' and not amongst the touristy things. I love the Needle, but $20 is kind of a rip off. It's more of the whole 'I was at the top of the Needle'.
    I heard some people are looking into building a platform on the outer ring of the needle for people to go out on. That would be cool, I'd pay the $20 and a little bit more to do that...or even to jump off the edge on a zip line to the ground like at the Stratosphere.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Fifi_IrelandFifi_Ireland Posts: 576
    Expatriate wrote:
    Sounds like a great trip. While in Moab/Arches I would get tickets to the Fiery Furnace hike. It is a ranger led hike and limited to about 20 people per hike. They fill up weeks in advance.

Drats Just looked this up but its booked out for our dates! We will try and see can we do some of it ourselves!
    168dcfb.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:

Great tip - will definitely do this :)
    168dcfb.jpg
  • Make sure you have sturdy hiking shoes and Hike the HooDoo's in Bryce Canyon. I just finished an 18day road trip very similar to your trip and Bryce Canyon was the best. Make sure you plan some time at night to view the sky. Bryce Canyon is the BEST place in the USA for star gazing. It was amazing to see.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
    Make sure you have sturdy hiking shoes and Hike the HooDoo's in Bryce Canyon. I just finished an 18day road trip very similar to your trip and Bryce Canyon was the best. Make sure you plan some time at night to view the sky. Bryce Canyon is the BEST place in the USA for star gazing. It was amazing to see.

This is correct. The night time sky at Bryce is spectacular.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    There's a free Brad concert in Seattle on 8/10. We'll be there! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Make sure you have sturdy hiking shoes and Hike the HooDoo's in Bryce Canyon. I just finished an 18day road trip very similar to your trip and Bryce Canyon was the best. Make sure you plan some time at night to view the sky. Bryce Canyon is the BEST place in the USA for star gazing. It was amazing to see.

is the hike tough? I was planning on bringing trail runners rather than boots.
    Will deffo check out the stars :)
    168dcfb.jpg
    mfc2006 wrote:
    There's a free Brad concert in Seattle on 8/10. We'll be there! :D

damnit! wont be there on the friday :( only monday-wednesday!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • ExpatriateExpatriate Posts: 53
    Expatriate wrote:
    Sounds like a great trip. While in Moab/Arches I would get tickets to the Fiery Furnace hike. It is a ranger led hike and limited to about 20 people per hike. They fill up weeks in advance.

Drats Just looked this up but its booked out for our dates! We will try and see can we do some of it ourselves!

You can show up at the ranger station and get on a wait list the day of. Sometimes people don't show up or are late arriving, etc. Definitely worth a shot.
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    edited July 2012
    You will gain weight. It's a fact of all US trips that last a bit.

Deep dish pizzas aren't all that. I'd go for an Italian Beef instead when in Chicago. Al's. Its across the road from Gino's East. DON'T try them back to back.

Why did I ever think that was a good idea?
    Post edited by Hinn on
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
    Hinn wrote:

Well, we are an obese country. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Hinn wrote:

Well, we are an obese country. :lol:

I should blend in nicely ;)

Trying to see if theres a bus back from Lake Quinault for the Brag gig but doesnt seem possible :(
    168dcfb.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    sorry no suggestions since i'm on the other coast (East coast representin' :lol: ) but have fun!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    some Santa Cruz/Yosemite advice:

while in Santa Cruz, check out the beach boardwalk(duh) and go on a few rides. walk out to the end of the pier and grab a glass of wine at Vino Prima, which has great views of the harbor (and very nice owners). If you have time you can rent a wetsuit and board and catch some waves, some great surfing spots nearby. Or just stick to the shore and do some body boarding.
    On the way to Yosemite, make sure to stop in Mariposa, a historic mining town on hwy 49. The little downtown is really cute, and there are some good restaurants and stores. While in the park make sure to check out the historic Ahwahnee Hotel, it's pretty impressive. If you can make sure to eat lunch in the huge grand dining room(much more affordable than dinner)

That's all I can think of for now!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hope you like cheese fifi. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Make sure you have sturdy hiking shoes and Hike the HooDoo's in Bryce Canyon. I just finished an 18day road trip very similar to your trip and Bryce Canyon was the best. Make sure you plan some time at night to view the sky. Bryce Canyon is the BEST place in the USA for star gazing. It was amazing to see.

is the hike tough? I was planning on bringing trail runners rather than boots.
    Will deffo check out the stars :)
    As long as there is good traction you should be good. It is a little loose gravel in some spots but you'd be fine in some Newbalance type shoe. I wouldn't recommend Vans but boots are only needed on the strenuous hikes. The most popular hike isnt very difficult.
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
    Class, they are are proper mountain running shoes with good grip and ankle support so they should do the trick!

There are some fantastic suggestions in this! thanks so much everyone!
    168dcfb.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hit the 95th floor of the hancock building for a drink. do it. trust me.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    81 wrote:
    yea, I'd recommend this over the Sears tower as well. Incredible views and not quite as crowded. If I remember correctly I think I kind of had to sneak in though. Pretended I was headed to dinner, then just bellied up to the bar for a drink or two.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    While in Chicago I'd also recommend going to the Wit downtown http://www.thewithotel.com/. They have an INCREDIBLE rooftop bar, great for after-dinner drinks. Signature Room is also awesome, honestly if you can do it I would just recommend having dinner there. The food is amazing and you get treated like royalty.

Daytime activities - Navy Pier, Mag Mile, Wrigley, Millennium Park. There are really amazing architecture tours on the river through the city too, it's a cool way to see a side of the city that you can't see any other way. http://www.seadogcruises.com/Chicago/river-lake-architectural-tour?src=google&loc=seadog&ad=river&gclid=CPPhu6aCs7ECFWQDQAodizMAkA

Have a great trip!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    81 wrote:
    Did it before Alpine. Didn't think it was particularly worth it. Had a nicer time down below the surface, at the Billy Goat.

And Navy Pier was AWFUL.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!