London 2012 Olympics

Comments

• samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Suziemay wrote:
    They really did Queen a disservice by having Jessie J of all people.
    Right?! My thoughts exactly. I was like 'Oh, what a nice Freddie tribute! Aw man, check out that face melting Brian May solo!' then 'WTF Jessie J???' :lol:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Newch91 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    That was great to watch. Whatever happened to the bass player?
    I think he's done with the whole Queen thing.

They really did Queen a disservice by having Jessie J of all people. David Bowie doing Under Pressure would have been cool. Or how about Annie Lennox or Liam Gallagher? Ugh. So disgusted.
    Liam? No.
    I'm no Liam fan, but he would have been marginally better and more worthy as a musician to share the same stage with greatness.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    that brazilian dude is wearing the outfit that dan and chevy wore in spies like us when they dressed up as aliens
    samjam wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    They really did Queen a disservice by having Jessie J of all people.
    Right?! My thoughts exactly. I was like 'Oh, what a nice Freddie tribute! Aw man, check out that face melting Brian May solo!' then 'WTF Jessie J???' :lol:
    Brian May was fantastic! I was hoping David Bowie would walk out even though it was obvious he wasn't there, because I think Under Pressure was what followed in that Queen concert

Oh well.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    norm wrote:
    that brazilian dude is wearing the outfit that dan and chevy wore in spies like us when they dressed up as aliens
    At first, I thought it was Cee Lo Green.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Pele! that's awesome.

can't wait for Brazil in 2016. love to see the culture
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Pele! that's awesome.
    Yeah, that was cool :mrgreen:
    What the hell?? Where's The Who??
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Um. Did they cut The Who?

And Muse? Did anyone see Muse at any point?
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    wait, what!? stupid NBC on break for an hour until they show the Who? what the hell
    NBC: You suck!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    What the hell is a Jessie J?

Also, Liam G. sounded like garbage. LOL at all those comments from the 90's saying that Oasis were the best band ever.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    They may as well just cancel this Animal Practice show right now.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Newch91 wrote:
    NBC: You suck!
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316

:lol::lol:
    It's NBC. They haven't had decent programming since the first few seasons of "The Office."
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Our NBC feed keeps going to black. Self editing, I think. Oh, DirectTV just posted an apology for technical difficulties. I think it has something to do with Ryan Seacrest.

Agree about Animal Practice. Ugh.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Jeez, did they have to delay The Who? I guess that's the only way to get people to watch Animal Practice. :roll:

Finally seeing them has me really looking forward to this Quad tour. 8-)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    norm wrote:
    john lennon followed by george michael

well, yeah of course
    its british..give them a break... :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Enkidu wrote:
    Dimi you beat me to it. Thank you to London, it was a fantastic time, you were great hosts (sorry, Mitt), and except for the lousy NBC coverage it was wonderful.
    :D
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    norm wrote:
    who or what the fuck is a jessie j and why is she ruining queen?
    u saw whats she wearing???? :lol::lol:
    there u go
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Queen!!!! awesome.

Brian May is fantastic
    :D
    Miss you Olympics.. :(
  • PapPap Posts: 28,751
    Moto: Inspire A Generation
    Slogan: 70.000 volunteers: We Made London 2012
    Highlights: John Lennon / Freddie Mercury / The Who

Bravo London 2012! :clap: Here's to Rio De Janeiro 2016! :D

P.S: Don't forget Brazil 2014! ;)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,137
    samjam wrote:
    norm wrote:
    samjam wrote:
    ...and on the flip side of that last comment, Ed Sheeran is absolutely butchering Wish You Were Here, one of the greatest songs of all time!! Not cool!

who is that?
    New artist, this is his most 'famous' song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWcs5H-qgQ. Not a huge fan.

He's actually very good, but much much better in small venues at his own admission. I've seen a few times live over the past few years and he's been great. He's been a bit mass marketed of late but his heart is in the right place, unlike a lot of popular artists, he plays his own instruments, writes his own lyrics and is a nice bloke. He was asked to do it by Nick Mason apparently.
    I've seen Pink Floyd (in 2005) perform that song too, better, obviously, but hey he wasn't as bad as it could've been.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,137
    My thoughts on the closing ceremony were that it was a bit like a dodgy wedding reception. Highlights for me were Eric Idle and The Who, notable mention for Waterloo Sunset as I do love that song but Ray can't sing well enough for that sort of stage anymore. :( At least there was no Hey Jude! :D
    The light show was great (ace to think they were in the audience headrests) and the fireworks were cool.
    The looping of the mimed acts tape was pants and at that point they could have used a best of British mix to enable some of the other great acts so to be heard.
    I think some people's expectations were never going to be met, there seems to be a lot of that about.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    dottles wrote:
    My thoughts on the closing ceremony were that it was a bit like a dodgy wedding reception. Highlights for me were Eric Idle and The Who, notable mention for Waterloo Sunset as I do love that song but Ray can't sing well enough for that sort of stage anymore. :( At least there was no Hey Jude! :D
    The light show was great (ace to think they were in the audience headrests) and the fireworks were cool.
    The looping of the mimed acts tape was pants and at that point they could have used a best of British mix to enable some of the other great acts so to be heard.
    I think some people's expectations were never going to be met, there seems to be a lot of that about.

I agree Leanne - a bit hit and miss. LOVED Eric Idle! :mrgreen:
    dottles wrote:
    The lights was awesome.the idea with the flag as a walkaway and change colors was briliant.and cool they change it when brazilians get in to yellow.
    As at the opening.the music was the best part by far
    dottles wrote:
    The lights was awesome.the idea with the flag as a walkaway and change colors was briliant.and cool they change it when brazilians get in to yellow.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    oh..and to listen the National Anthem of Greece as well... :mrgreen:

I'm not sure. Do you remember if this happens at every Olympics? If not, it should become a tradition starting from London. ;)