London 2012 Olympics

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I usually do not watch the Olympics as much as I have this year...but for the most part the summer Olympics SUCK! Some of these sports are border line ridiculously boring...judo, taikwandoo, ping pong, badminton, mens basketball in which a major upset happens everyone knows the US will win, a whole bunch of other ridiculous sports. I really hope Canada never bids on the summer Olympics. Now bring on Sochi 2014...I really love the winter Olympics.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I usually do not watch the Olympics as much as I have this year...but for the most part the summer Olympics SUCK! Some of these sports are border line ridiculously boring...judo, taikwandoo, ping pong, badminton, mens basketball in which a major upset happens everyone knows the US will win, a whole bunch of other ridiculous sports. I really hope Canada never bids on the summer Olympics. Now bring on Sochi 2014...I really love the winter Olympics.
    sorry that we have summer alot at the rest odf the world.. :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    lukin2006 wrote:

we have summer here...actually we have 4 seasons...but that really has nothing to do with these ridiculously boring sports.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    lukin2006 wrote:
    It does make it boring when some countries are so dominant and it's no surprise that often it's the countries who have the resources to pour into those sports, but I do enjoy watching athletes on top of their game. I mean the US women's 4x100 race? Holy shit. And Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt? And how about Misty May and Kerry Walsh? It takes serious commitment and mental strength, in addition to just pure talent, to excel the way these athletes do, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for them. Always inspired when I watch them.

However, it's also the stories that are behind some of the athletes whether or not they are dominating that I love. Like Oscar Pistorious from SA making history as the first double amputee to run alongside able-bodied athletes and the journey he had to take to get to this point or Bryshon Nellum from the US who was shot in the legs in 2009 and didn't think he would ever run at world-class speeds again. And Kirani James the eventual 400m mens gold medalist asking to exchange bibs with Pistorius right after their semifinal heat (James also won Grenada's first ever medal for Grenada). I guess I watch a lot of track :) My point is none of these international sporting events are perfect, but I think we are better off with them than without them.

That being said, I hope the Olympics never come to NYC, we don't need anymore people milling around here :lol::lol:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

we have summer here...actually we have 4 seasons...but that really has nothing to do with these ridiculously boring sports.
    the rest of the worrd have different opinion...
    i like only Figure skating at winter olympics,the rest is away more boring..
    and summer Olympics are the original olympic games.. :);)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Suziemay wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    It does make it boring when some countries are so dominant and it's no surprise that often it's the countries who have the resources to pour into those sports, but I do enjoy watching athletes on top of their game. I mean the US women's 4x100 race? Holy shit. And Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt? And how about Misty May and Kerry Walsh? It takes serious commitment and mental strength, in addition to just pure talent, to excel the way these athletes do, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for them. Always inspired when I watch them.

However, it's also the stories that are behind some of the athletes whether or not they are dominating that I love. Like Oscar Pistorious from SA making history as the first double amputee to run alongside able-bodied athletes and the journey he had to take to get to this point or Bryshon Nellum from the US who was shot in the legs in 2009 and didn't think he would ever run at world-class speeds again. And Kirani James the eventual 400m mens gold medalist asking to exchange bibs with Pistorius right after their semifinal heat (James also won Grenada's first ever medal for Grenada). I guess I watch a lot of track :) My point is none of these international sporting events are perfect, but I think we are better off with them than without them.

That being said, I hope the Olympics never come to NYC, we don't need anymore people milling around here :lol::lol:
    :lol::lol: can u imagine the traffic at NY????? :shock:
    I don't even know how it would be possible. I was surprised at London hosting, but London is more spread out than New York. Good thing we didn't win the 2012 bid. Phew. I think I would have left for the summer and rented out my apartment at ridiculous prices. Actually, that might have been good. Pay for some of my PJ expenses :lol::lol:
    Suziemay wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i don't mind the athletics and swimming, cycling, soccer. i really dislike sports that are judged...way too subjective. my sister lives in Toronto and a few years back Toronto was either bidding or talking about bidding and she was so glad they never came to Toronto...probably the same reason. My reasoning a waste of money...governments need to put money into necessary programs.

Suziemay wrote:
    I don't even know how it would be possible. I was surprised at London hosting, but London is more spread out than New York. Good thing we didn't win the 2012 bid. Phew. I think I would have left for the summer and rented out my apartment at ridiculous prices. Actually, that might have been good. Pay for some of my PJ expenses :lol::lol:
    can happen somewhere else at the state..not in manhattan.,,

i dont have to mention.....the rumours here about pj playing at the opening ceremony.. :lol:
    lukin2006 wrote:

i don't mind the athletics and swimming, cycling, soccer. i really dislike sports that are judged...way too subjective. my sister lives in Toronto and a few years back Toronto was either bidding or talking about bidding and she was so glad they never came to Toronto...probably the same reason. My reasoning a waste of money...governments need to put money into necessary programs.
    i hear ya..but soccer has ref too..
    always the event has timer are more fair than the rest....
    lukin2006 wrote:

The referee usually does"t decide the outcome of a game...in most instances refereeing has been fair, and the most goals win.

Bring on Sochi 2014 and ice hockey.

lukin2006 wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

The referee usually does"t decide the outcome of a game...in most instances refereeing has been fair, and the most goals win.

Bring on Sochi 2014 and ice hockey.
    you sould come to Greece to see what ref can deside everything.. :lol:

ice hockey?..oh boy..dont see the reason people like it...
    volleyball final....

Brazil vs Usa :)
    volleyball final....

Ahh, that means I need to stop coming to this thread now. Think they aren't showing this live here. Boo. Time to go out and do stuff :D
    Suziemay wrote:
    volleyball final....

Ahh, that means I need to stop coming to this thread now. Think they aren't showing this live here. Boo. Time to go out and do stuff :D
    denise hooker is great player!!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    good to see nbc is employing 14 year old boys to put together their videos :fp: :lol::lol:

http://jiveassrevolution.tumblr.com/pos ... low-motion
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Just found out that my Comcast Xfinity has all of the Olympic track and field events available On-Demand. Looking forward to catching up on some of the races that I missed.
    Suziemay wrote:
    volleyball final....

denise hooker is great player!!
    Destiny Hooker. Great name too :lol::lol: And I think I'm in love with Logan Tom :mrgreen:

Ok, I really gotta go away now :lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    good to see nbc is employing 14 year old boys to put together their videos :fp: :lol::lol:

:lol:
    5000m men final..those runners are the top!

cant wait for 800, women final later..
    5000m men final..those runners are the top!

holy shit....
    amazing final at volleyball women
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    PJ-Cubs wrote:
    Just found out that my Comcast Xfinity has all of the Olympic track and field events available On-Demand. Looking forward to catching up on some of the races that I missed.

wow, thank you for pointing that out! I had no idea!

:fp:
    800m final women..favo event.... :)
    lets see!!!!dam..i watch volley too..
    that semenya looks taugh.....and like a dude.. :fp:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    again, have to wait until later to see all the track events. 4 channels of coverage and we get Field Hockey, Handball, Basketball, and Soccer replay. :roll:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,876
    norm wrote:

:lol: "Jive Ass Revolution.". :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    those Brazilians know how to have fun...period...
    high jump women..epic final!!!!!!
    fuckin top level
    unreall..

trinidad tobago 19 years old ..won gold medal at men Javelin....