Moving tips - how to get my stuff to the States?

2»

Comments

• of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I'm waiting on some answers from a couple companies that we deal with. :mrgreen:
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    next year when PJ tours US, have all of your Europe friends each take a few books with them when they come for the shows.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    next year when PJ tours US, have all of your Europe friends each take a few books with them when they come for the shows.

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I'm waiting on some answers from a couple companies that we deal with. :mrgreen:

Thanks a BUNCH!

And bumping :shifty:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    about the books. Are they highly personal to you (inscribed etc.) ? Or is the expense of rebuying them an option over shipping?

Maybe family or friends would be willing to ship a small amount at a time as finances allow?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    about the books. Are they highly personal to you (inscribed etc.) ? Or is the expense of rebuying them an option over shipping?

Maybe family or friends would be willing to ship a small amount at a time as finances allow?

Hm, they are not personally inscribed to me, no. But I collected them over a long period of time, and they just belong to what is me. It would be weird to recollect them all over again, cause they are a part of my personal history. Maybe it would be cheap to get some of them again, but it would be different. Not all of them are important to me now, but it is their physical presence that matters to me. We kind of have a history together. And it is not only with books, there are other things as well that kind of belong to me and constitute me as person. I want to have them near me. They make me feel at home. I don't know how to explain this.

Yeah, maybe I will have them shipped to me in packages later on.
    mickeyrat wrote:

Hm, they are not personally inscribed to me, no. But I collected them over a long period of time, and they just belong to what is me. It would be weird to recollect them all over again, cause they are a part of my personal history. Maybe it would be cheap to get some of them agasin, but it would be different. Not all of them are important to me now, but it is their physical presence that matters to me. We kind of have a history together. And it is not only with books, there are other things as well that kind of belong to me and constitute me as person. I want to have them near me. They make me feel at home. I don't know how to explain this.
    I think you explained it perfectly.

So what about my second suggestion? Family or friends ship off a box as finances allow?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Hm, they are not personally inscribed to me, no. But I collected them over a long period of time, and they just belong to what is me. It would be weird to recollect them all over again, cause they are a part of my personal history. Maybe it would be cheap to get some of them agasin, but it would be different. Not all of them are important to me now, but it is their physical presence that matters to me. We kind of have a history together. And it is not only with books, there are other things as well that kind of belong to me and constitute me as person. I want to have them near me. They make me feel at home. I don't know how to explain this.
    I think you explained it perfectly.

So what about my second suggestion? Family or friends ship off a box as finances allow?

Edited before you posted :D I might really look into that!
    shipping 3rd or 4th class is a cheap option as well. Will just take longer to arrive is all.

Maybe you could befriend a US Army or Air Force member who is rotating home soon? Have the US military foot the bill? :mrgreen:

mickeyrat wrote:
    shipping 3rd or 4th class is a cheap option as well. Will just take longer to arrive is all.

Maybe you could befriend a US Army or Air Force member who is rotating home soon? Have the US military foot the bill? :mrgreen:

That would be awesome, but none is in sight here :| Thanks anyway, and let me know if some super-cool info about cheap international freight-shipping comes your way :D
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I have a solution - have Cav pay for moving it all, that crazy bastard! :mrgreen:
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Welcome to the USA. :wave:
    I had a friend who moved overseas a few years ago. I think they sent everything over by boat; it took at least a couple of months for it all to arrive.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I have a solution - have Cav pay for moving it all, that crazy bastard! :mrgreen:

He needs his savings to take care of me when I'm over there - I won't be allowed to work for a couple of months :lol:

After doing more intensive research during the weekend I came to the solution that I cannot really afford to move with the help of a moving company (from 1000 € onwards for a couple of boxes - are you kidding me? :fp: ). So I have decided to move to the States by sending everything by mail. Wish me luck that nothing will get lost!

Now may the gods of saying goodbye to stuff be gentle with me :shifty: