Moving tips - how to get my stuff to the States?

Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
As some of you might have noticed, I am making a big move this year to be with my one and only Cav :D

Now that we are one step closer in the visa process, I need to start thinking about a lot of things, amongst them also the actual move. I am not planning on taking furniture with me and am prepared to carefully go through my stuff and sort things out that I really don't need. But after all that I will still have some stuff that I need to get to the states somehow, like my vinyl, books, clothes and maybe my bike. I have started researching my options, and there are several possibilities. There are companies who rent boxes that will be sent to the States by ship or airplane, then there is the possibility of shipping by mail, and I could also check in some stuff when I am flying over for good (depending on what the airline allows). I am not wealthy, but I want my stuff to be safe and sound.

I am still looking for more options, and I thought maybe someone on here has made a move like this (Germany / Europe --> USA) and maybe has helpful suggestions :)

Thank you all :wave:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    PM sent :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    pm being sent :)
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    my neighbor (when living in westport, washington, usa) moved from hawaii to western washington. they are a family of four. they shipped over two cars one being a red bmw, one green lawnmower, mom & dad's bedroom outfit, the boy's bedroom & the girl's bedroom outfits as well as a whole pile of other things.

they are wealthy so they do not give two shits about spending huge dollars. it was expensive from what i remember.

they used a ship to ship their crap on over; crammed everything into a container & called it good.

something tells me you aren't shipping over as much stuff as a family of four plus 2 cars & one green lawnmower
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    sell shit that you really don't need.....personally, i wouldn't take furniture...too much work and effort...and i'm guessing cash?

crazy....good luck too you two crazy kids
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    chadwick wrote:
    my neighbor (when living in westport, washington, usa) moved from hawaii to western washington. they are a family of four. they shipped over two cars one being a red bmw, one green lawnmower, mom & dad's bedroom outfit, the boy's bedroom & the girl's bedroom outfits as well as a whole pile of other things.

they are wealthy so they do not give two shits about spending huge dollars. it was expensive from what i remember.

they used a ship to ship their crap on over; crammed everything into a container & called it good.

something tells me you aren't shipping over as much stuff as a family of four plus 2 cars & one green lawnmower

:lol: :fp: Hell no! The biggest thing that I am pondering to take with me is my bike. Other than that, everything will fit into boxes ... I know that you can share containers. Maybe that would be an option.
    81 wrote:
    sell shit that you really don't need.....personally, i wouldn't take furniture...too much work and effort...and i'm guessing cash?

crazy....good luck too you two crazy kids

Thanks you, sir! I don't own furniture that I need to bring with me, so thank god I don't have to think about that :)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    put them on fire..all u need is Cav...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

True, true. But my books are very important to me! When I am over there I will finally have time to read again - I am looking forward to that a lot :D
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549

True, true. But my books are very important to me! When I am over there I will finally have time to read again - I am looking forward to that a lot :D
    are u moving to the states for read books??
    are u crazy?..u only 8-) need Cav ,pink lemonade and diet coke..!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

:lol::lol: :fp:
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    I think the most important thing is...

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!

:clap:

That being said, you can just ship your vinyl to me Leeze...I'll take care of it ;)
    Heisenberg wrote:
    I think the most important thing is...

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!

:clap:

That being said, you can just ship your vinyl to me Leeze...I'll take care of it ;)

Thank you :wave:

And ... nice try :lol: My vinyl comes with me. It is dying to be united with Cav's ;)
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387

:lol::clap: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    Just be sure and bring your mustache movement shirt. I hear those are big in the states ;)
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Just be sure and bring your mustache movement shirt. I hear those are big in the states ;)

Will do! :mrgreen:
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Heisenberg wrote:

Will do! :mrgreen:

As long as you wear your mustache shirt, you'll be sure to get VIP treatment in the states.. :D

I've never had to make a move that big, so I don't have any advice to add, but Good Luck and I hope the rest of the process moves quickly and smoothly for you so you can finally join your fiancé for good! :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    chadwick wrote:

:lol: :fp: Hell no! The biggest thing that I am pondering to take with me is my bike. Other than that, everything will fit into boxes ... I know that you can share containers. Maybe that would be an option.

Hold on!

.....what color is the bike?.....
    rollings wrote:

Hold on!

.....what color is the bike?.....

It is this bike :shifty: I paid it with sweat and long working hours, and I love it ...

electra_comfortcruiser_twiggy.jpg
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Bring mustard baby!!!

lots and lots of mustard!! :D

and sexy underwear!! :o:D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Caveeze wrote:

or better yet, take her shopping at Victoria Secrets when she lands. I love LTD stock :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:

or better yet, take her shopping at Victoria Secrets when she lands. I love LTD stock :lol:

:thumbup: :mrgreen:
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Congrats kids. Best of luck to you both.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Caveeze wrote:
    Bring mustard baby!!!

this sounds like some werid kinky sex shit.... or maybe its just me. ;)8-)

YEAH!!! for long distance relationships that work. :clap:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Caveeze wrote:
    Bring mustard baby!!!

this is key to any long distance relationship.

i've had about 407 long distance relationships starting as far back as when i was 6. i always have requested plenty of mustard & lotsa sexy ass underwears, that and bring plenty of turkey sausage.

turkey sausage for those of us whom may be watching our figure
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    Caveeze wrote:
    Bring mustard baby!!!

this is key to any long distance relationship.

i've had about 407 long distance relationships starting as far back as when i was 6. i always have requested plenty of mustard & lotsa sexy ass underwears, that and bring plenty of turkey sausage.

turkey sausage for those of us whom may be watching our figure

:lol::lol:
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I have no moving suggestions - but best of Luck to you !!!!! :thumbup:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
    mikalina wrote:
    I have no moving suggestions - but best of Luck to you !!!!! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot, mikalina :wave:

And I'll just bump this, maybe someone has another tip :D
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    start mailing the books, a couple of pages at a time. same with the bike, take it apart and mail parts. :mrgreen:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I knew of someone that moved from here to Alaska. Not international I know, but they did ship their stuff to Alaska. Including some furniture (bed, table, desk).

He found a shipping company and they said for $100 he could have a pallet and whatever he could fit onto it, they would shrink wrap everything together and ship it for him. He took it to the port here and they loaded it onto one of the cargo ships and in Alaska, he went to the port to pick it up. Took a little while but it was cheap-it was a number of years ago.

If there is a port in NY/NJ area see if it would be worth it to take a little drive to go out there with a truck to pick it up, or if that service is still available.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I knew of someone that moved from here to Alaska. Not international I know, but they did ship their stuff to Alaska. Including some furniture (bed, table, desk).

He found a shipping company and they said for $100 he could have a pallet and whatever he could fit onto it, they would shrink wrap everything together and ship it for him. He took it to the port here and they loaded it onto one of the cargo ships and in Alaska, he went to the port to pick it up. Took a little while but it was cheap-it was a number of years ago.

If there is a port in NY/NJ area see if it would be worth it to take a little drive to go out there with a truck to pick it up, or if that service is still available.

Now that sounds like a GREAT price :thumbup: Everything I have found so far is around 1000 Euros, which is around 1200 dollars. That is a lot of money, considering that we also will have to pay another big amount to the US government for me to stay in the US legally. I'm still researching, and somehow with every day passing by, I minimize what I might need in my head... But in the end, it is really mostly books, vinyl and clothes. I will also check out the airlines to see which one allows most check in baggage for the lowest price. Somehow I am looking forward to free myself from my worldly goods, but on the other hand there is some stuff that I really would like to have with me :shifty: Oooooh to be rich ...