***The Official Travel Thread***

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So after our European trip prompted of course by Pearl Jam, the wife and I have concluded that life's just too damn short not to see the world. We're hoping/planning on taking an international trip once every 3 or 4 years while still trying to see as much of our own country in between.

So, tell me about the favorite places you've visited. Photos & stories are welcome and encouraged :D
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Great idea, that's awesome!!

I haven't been here, but my grandparents have been all over the world and they constantly talk about Roratonga - it's a little island off the New Zealand coast in the Cook Islands. They said it's the most beautiful place in the world and that the buildings on the island aren't allowed to be built any taller than the palm trees. It's truly a getaway and the people of the island are extremely friendly. Look into it if you're into that kind of thing!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    I've only bee out of the USA once, and it was to visit Costa Rica for honeymoon. Strangely, Pearl jam was playing the day we arrived. :D

It was a beautiful country with very friendly people and great food. We hiked the rainforest, ziplined, repelled through caverns, did some white water rafting, and was able to rent a surfboard for a bit. it was incredible. It really gave me the travel bug. I felt like I was missing out after that trip.

I like this thread idea, and after reading susannj's thread about the Bahamas, you all are sparking that travel bug again too. I hope to get to the UK and/or Europe sometime soon.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • cinque-terre-italy.jpg

Cinque Terre - Italy :D

Recently went to Italy for 2 weeks. Rome - Florence - Cinque Terre - Pisa

Fantastic country but this place was the highlight.

http://cinqueterre.a-turist.com/index.php

5 small fishing villages that are connected by a train or you can hike between each village.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Go to Sedona, AZ. Your inner peace will thank you.
  • Johnny AggroJohnny Aggro Posts: 543
    Portmerion, North Wales, UK
    Marrakech, Morroco,
    Nerja, Spain

Each of these places touched me for very different reasons. They all are amazing places and very different from each other.
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Detroit is awesome!!

Halle, Germany is better :D
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    Basque Country - San Sebastian (Donostia) and small villages on the coast
    Spain - Oviedo

North Ireland - north from Omagh and on the coast
    Republic Of Ireland - Doolin and the west coast

North Of Sweden and Norway

Tabor and Cesky Krumlov in Czech Republic

Berlin in Germany

All of Scotland

plenty of places to see, my friend..safe travels!
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    My family was big into road trips when I was younger.
    Now we fly alot more as we all can't take off work for such long periods.

Road trip to Disney (from NJ) was our first really long vacation that I remember. Stopped along the way at the tourist attractions. I would say it was a very standard vacation.

The following year we went up to Boston for the 4th of July Fireworks and further onto Acadia National Park in Maine. Thats was cool. Fireworks are always awesome and these were hugs. We camped in Acadia for a week. Hiked alot, saw the towns. The biggest thing I remember about that trip was Rock Climbing on "The Bubble" (the name of one of the mountains.) It was a spur of the moment thing my dad and i did. very cool.

The year after that was a roadtrip out to South Dakota (yes, from NJ :fp: ). We stopped in Cedar Point Ohio (the best amusement park I have ever been to :thumbup: ), Chicago to see the city and go up to the top of the Sears Tower, Wisconsin Dells and took a Duck-boat tour, :thumbup: The SPAM Museum in the middle of Minnesota!, The Badlands where we hiked and saw the best heat lightening in my life :) . (for 3 hours, we sat on this ridge, and watched the heat-lightening on the horizon about 15 miles away). Finally made it to see the State park where Custer's Last Stand took place, saw the Crazy Horse Monument, and of course the 4th of July fireworks over Mount Rushmore. (well actually over the back of it as the front side was too crowded. :lol: ). And of course you can't forget Carhenge on the way back, literally in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska.

Year after that was a camping trip to Lake Elmore Park in Vermont. Camped for a week. Hiked to the firetower on the top of the mountain. Saw the city of Stokes, lake Champaigne. 8-)

Now the flights:

St. Thomas US Virgin Islands, Secret Harbor Cove :thumbup: highly recomend this! It was truely off the beaten path. Went over to St. johns to snorkel the underwater trail.

Chicago lollapalooza 2007 trip to see PJ 8-)

LA / Anaheim trip to go to 5 different amusement parks :mrgreen: Magic Mountain, Disneyland, Knotts berry farms, (I forget the 2 others. :oops: )

PJ20 stayed in Lake Geneva. Short trip but definitely worth it 8-)

I recomend all of these trips! I didn't realize how really lucky I am to have traveled so much at my age. :)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    DS1119 wrote:
    that's actually on my list, DS!
    cinque-terre-italy.jpg

Cinque Terre - Italy :D

Recently went to Italy for 2 weeks. Rome - Florence - Cinque Terre - Pisa

Fantastic country but this place was the highlight.

http://cinqueterre.a-turist.com/index.php

5 small fishing villages that are connected by a train or you can hike between each village.
    That looks amazing!!!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    AUSTRALIA 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    AUSTRALIA 8-)
    Not St Louis?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    AUSTRALIA 8-)
    Not St Louis?

:lol:

oh yes always st louis(for me) but for some without ties to it i suggest australia. we have desert, tropical rainforest, diving,coral reefs ncluding the great barrier reef(which for those who dont know is the largest living organism on earth), some of the oldest forests on earth surfing, bushwalking, skiing, beautiful beaches, fantastic people, a laidback sense of of life, you can dive with the great white sharks, snorkle with whale sharks, ride a camel along cable beach up at broome whilst watching the sun set over the indian ocean. see football played hard and without protective pads,, excellent live music scenes, and just about everything else you can think of. we welcome all visitors. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    DS1119 wrote:
    This. amazing place.

you should also make a trip up to the northeast too. Maine, VT and New Hampshire have some amazing spots.

CT Blows
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if you like roller coasters, defiantly want to hit cedar point....no questions asked. we used to go every year

cities that i've been too and would go back again
    charleston, sc - so relaxing, go in the winter.
    ashville, nc - anouther great city with a lot of beer, bars and daytime activities
    philly - gotta have a cheese steak
    san fran - anouther great relaxing city with some cool stuff to see and do.
    UP of michigan - great place to just get away from everything
    alaska - there are some really neat things to do up there
    the mountains out in cali (lake tahoe, east of visallia), love em.

looking forward to that MT road trip. talked about going to the badlands a few years ago to see mount rushmore....love killing two birds with one stone.

regardless of where you go, the best travel is on the side road and stay away from chain food places. so much more to see than what you see on the interstate, and the pace is more relaxed.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • your move nowyour move now Posts: 1,165
    if you can find locals of wherever you're going (even if it's just on here or somewhere) then they have a better idea of where to go than any tripadvisor or wherever - ask!
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
    81 wrote:
    if you like roller coasters, defiantly want to hit cedar point....no questions asked. we used to go every year

cities that i've been too and would go back again
    charleston, sc - so relaxing, go in the winter.
    ashville, nc - anouther great city with a lot of beer, bars and daytime activities
    philly - gotta have a cheese steak
    san fran - anouther great relaxing city with some cool stuff to see and do.
    UP of michigan - great place to just get away from everything
    alaska - there are some really neat things to do up there
    the mountains out in cali (lake tahoe, east of visallia), love em.

looking forward to that MT road trip. talked about going to the badlands a few years ago to see mount rushmore....love killing two birds with one stone.

regardless of where you go, the best travel is on the side road and stay away from chain food places. so much more to see than what you see on the interstate, and the pace is more relaxed.
    Been to most of these places with the exception of Philly, the UP, and Alaska. Montana does sound like it would be a really fun trip. I probably need to hold off until at least next year even for a mini- stateside vacation. I may be able to swing a long weekend in the smokies near Asheville. I'm a guilty "leafer", waiting for October for the leaves to change colors
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    btw, if you're on facebook, this is a nice group to "like". I see pics posted from this page which make me want to travel more.

http://www.facebook.com/FascinatingPlaces
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    just wanted to link these threads, 81.
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=187460
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Was a very big fan of Denver when I went there last year. Very cool city. Going to St. Lucia in October for my honeymoon and Nashville later on in the year.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,470
    So after our European trip prompted of course by Pearl Jam, the wife and I have concluded that life's just too damn short not to see the world. We're hoping/planning on taking an international trip once every 3 or 4 years while still trying to see as much of our own country in between.

So, tell me about the favorite places you've visited. Photos & stories are welcome and encouraged :D
    Apart from a school skiing trip to Austria when I was 12 or 13 I hadn't done any travelling until I turned 30. In fact the time I ever got on a plane was 2 days after my 30th and my first flight was from London to Hong Kong!

In the last 5 years I have tried to do as much travelling as possible but there's just so much to see out there. You are so right when you say that life's too short. It would be impossible to rank them in order but my favourite places would have to be:

Australia - I liked it so much I moved here!
    Iceland - such a beautiful country, and also the place that I proposed to my wife
    Peru - Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley are awe-inspiring
    New Zealand - the North Island is great to drive around, the South is great for doing crazy shit!

Here are some photo sets I posted online of places I've been to:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bealjarna/sets/72157622437973551/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bealjarna/sets/72157622465846102/
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Almost forgot to post about Finca Bellavista. For anyone trying to get completely off the grid whether it be for a short vacation or to live permantently, this treehouse village in Costa Rica is awesome. I havent had the pleasure of visiting yet, but two friends of mine lived down there for about 2 months as a volunteer opportunity.
    http://www.fincabellavista.net/
    http://www.businessinsider.com/finca-be ... z22CMNYTNL
    Pura Vida!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I'm a guilty "leafer", waiting for October for the leaves to change colors

Nothing to feel guilty with about that. Beautiful time of year. :thumbup:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    as for my country,we have so many places,

Santorini is a destination,noone forgets for the view

41302.jpg

other places i loved,was Barcelona,Stockholm,Prague Larnaka,Pafos...so beautiful places
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • So the Mrs. and I are planning a west coast adventure next summer. Our plan is to fly into Seattle, rent a car, and drive down the Pacific Coast HWY making stops along the way. The plan is to finish in San Fran and spend the last few days relaxing in Napa Valley where we'll meet up with my mom and sister to celebrate their 30th and 65th birthdays. Total trip will be about 10 days or so.
    Anyone ever done something similar?
    Any recommendations on towns/cities/places to stop along the way?
    We're more than game to drive inland a bit as I do want to check out Portland, OR.
    Your comments are appreciated!
    Cheers
    So the Mrs. and I are planning a west coast adventure next summer. Our plan is to fly into Seattle, rent a car, and drive down the Pacific Coast HWY making stops along the way. The plan is to finish in San Fran and spend the last few days relaxing in Napa Valley where we'll meet up with my mom and sister to celebrate their 30th and 65th birthdays. Total trip will be about 10 days or so.
    We're more than game to drive inland a bit as I do want to check out Portland, OR.
    Cheers
    san fran is a good time. if you like baseball, make sure to hit up both ball parks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    So the Mrs. and I are planning a west coast adventure next summer. Our plan is to fly into Seattle, rent a car, and drive down the Pacific Coast HWY making stops along the way. The plan is to finish in San Fran and spend the last few days relaxing in Napa Valley where we'll meet up with my mom and sister to celebrate their 30th and 65th birthdays. Total trip will be about 10 days or so.
    Cheers
    san fran is a good time. if you like baseball, make sure to hit up both ball parks
    yea man, AT&T Park is the prettiest park I've been to.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    san fran was a cool town..granted 3 pj shows in 4 nights helps on the fun scale
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    can't wait to get to New Orleans next week ...never been there

should be interesting to say the least
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    81 wrote:
    Cheers
    yea man, AT&T Park is the prettiest park I've been to.

have you been to the oakland park? not nearly as nice as san fran, but worth the price of admission.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg