Graphic Novels

13»

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I read the Sandman in the original single issue comics starting with the very first issue....starting dating my wife in 2004....introduced her to Sandman.....have purchased her the Absolute editions of both Sandman and Death.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • How about "Preacher"? Is this one worth reading?
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    How about "Preacher"? Is this one worth reading?

It's pretty good. Worth reading, yes.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
    How about "Preacher"? Is this one worth reading?
    Garth Ennis is a writer that I love....his stuff is not for the faint of heart.....violence, sex and foul language abound.....but he works it well.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Cool thanks guys I'll add this to my list.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Cool thanks guys I'll add this to my list.
    "Chew" by john layman.. published by image, is on the third volume.

very strange subject matter. I highly recommend

ISBN# 978-1-60706-159-5.
    :)
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    STAYSEA wrote:
    Cool thanks guys I'll add this to my list.
    "Chew" by john layman.. published by image, is on the third volume.

very strange subject matter. I highly recommend

ISBN# 978-1-60706-159-5.
    :)

Oh god, that's right! I forgot about Chew! THAT'S a good story!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
    I have read some interesting non-traditional, which means no super-heroes, graphic novels recently. They include the following:
    Both of the "American Century" collections by Howard Chaykin and David Tischman.
    Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey and Birute' Galdikas by Jim Ottaviani
    Sailor Twain by Mark Siegel
    Glacial Period by Nicolas de Crecy
    The Carter Family: Don't Forget This Song by Frank M. Young

If you are looking for some good super-hero stuff, I would recommend the current Hawkeye series from Marvel. The first trade paperback is available. Matt Fraction is the writer.

Brandon Graham's re-imaging of the 1990's character, Prophet, is also worth a read.

If horror is your thing, check out the two volumes of "Crossed: Wish You Were Here." Si Spurrier has an twisted take on the Crossed and their world. This is also available as a free web comic....just goggle the title.
  • bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 2,017
    just finished DMZ

loved it!
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Arent graphic novels just comics with a hard cover?
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    Arent graphic novels just comics with a hard cover?
    If you take the narrow view, yes....but not always with a hard cover :twisted:
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Has anyone read anything from DC's new 52? I haven't, and my feelings on the whole relaunch have been sorta 'meh.' I suppose this is how some fans felt when the continuity was rebooted with Crisis in the 80s. :-|

Anywho, I'm a big Grant Morrison fan, and I've heard his Batman Inc. arc is largely unaffected by the reboot, so I'll probably pick up those two graphic novels. Just wanting to know people's thoughts on the rest of the line ... good ... bad ...? Any input is appreciated, thanks! :D
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    I read the
    Court of Owls run,
    penned by Scott Snyder.
    That's all I really know about
    DC's new 52.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    REaly enjoyed the first two saga graphic novels can't wait for the next!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    I read the
    Court of Owls run,
    penned by Scott Snyder.
    That's all I really know about
    DC's new 52.

Cheers.

Was it any good? I heard a little bit about it, and was slightly turned off by the revelation that -- SPOILER! -- Bruce had a brother (supposedly). But I enjoy Snyder's run in the pre-New 52 Batman universe.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."