Graphic Novels

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    kw18 wrote:
    I am also thinking about Batman: Hush, has anyone read this.

Hush is a fairly decent mystery, but I feel Loeb goes a bit overkill with the number of characters he brings in. A lot of writers who get an opportunity to "play in the Batman sandbox" do this, by cramming in as many of their favorites (mostly villains) as they can.

That said, it's not awful. It features some good character moments, including development and interactions. If you're familiar with some of the recent Batman history (as in the last 30 years), there are a lot of good nuggets to gnaw on here.

The book features some of Jim Lee's best art, in my opinion. Lots of great, gorgeous detail. Some really nice spreads, too. If you're an art fan, I'd say buying this book is more than worth it. And if you're big into the art, an option to consider is the "naked" edition where it's just Lee's pencils and inks -- no coloring.

But if you're not a huge art guy but do enjoy mystery stories, I'd recommend an earlier Loeb Batman story: The Long Halloween. It's a kind of "year two" story and is a really good read, imo.
    I agree with the review of "Hush".....have not read "The Long Halloween" despite owning it.... :fp:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    tybird wrote:
    I agree with the review of "Hush".....have not read "The Long Halloween" despite owning it.... :fp:

:o

What are you waiting for?! :fp:

:lol:

It's been a while since I've read it, but it's a pretty good yarn. Just like he did with Year One and Batman Begins, Nolan pulled portions of the Long Halloween for The Dark Knight flick.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    tybird wrote:

It's been a while since I've read it, but it's a pretty good yarn. Just like he did with Year One and Batman Begins, Nolan pulled portions of the Long Halloween for The Dark Knight flick.
    I have seriously over-bought both comics and graphic novels in the last seven+ years....I'm way, way, way, way, way behind. :oops: :oops: :o :( :shock: :ugeek:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    tybird wrote:

I have seriously over-bought both comics and graphic novels in the last seven+ years....I'm way, way, way, way, way behind. :oops: :oops: :o :( :shock: :ugeek:

I totally know what you mean. I have about two dozen trades I have yet to read! I keep telling myself I'll stop buying new ones until I have all the old ones read, but that never seems to work. Like with PJ stuff, it's totally a disease! :lol:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

I totally know what you mean. I have about two dozen trades I have yet to read! I keep telling myself I'll stop buying new ones until I have all the old ones read, but that never seems to work. Like with PJ stuff, it's totally a disease! :lol:
    Exactly......
  • Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    Ok so I am ordering a few more GN's, I have really enjoyed the ones I've read so far, some great recommendation from the board here. I recently read Batman: The Killing Joke, it was great, I really liked the writing style in this one, I actually enjoyed it more then Dark Knight Returns. I also have Year One as well.
    Someone mentioned The Long Halloween, so I'm going to get that one.
    Anyone read Arkham Asylum?
    Ok so I am ordering a few more GN's, I have really enjoyed the ones I've read so far, some great recommendation from the board here. I recently read Batman: The Killing Joke, it was great, I really liked the writing style in this one, I actually enjoyed it more then Dark Knight Returns. I also have Year One as well.
    If it's the Arkham book written by Grant Morrison...yeah, it's a winner.
    tybird wrote:

Agreed. Excellent book (like most things by Grant Morrison are). The art is a little ... different, but it works well for the story he's telling. And I don't generally point it out, but, if I'm remembering right, the lettering is fantastic -- distinct for each character.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    Alright cool, thanks guys.
    kw18 wrote:
    tybird wrote:

Agreed. Excellent book (like most things by Grant Morrison are). The art is a little ... different, but it works well for the story he's telling. And I don't generally point it out, but, if I'm remembering right, the lettering is fantastic -- distinct for each character.

Sorry to bug you again, but just wanted to pick your brain a little more on some Batman reading. I am ordering Long Halloween and Arkham Asylum (Grant Morrison)
    I am kind of torn between The Dark Victory or Son of the Demon, just thought you could shed some light, or maybe recommend another.
    Sorry to bug you again, but just wanted to pick your brain a little more on some Batman reading. I am ordering Long Halloween and Arkham Asylum (Grant Morrison)
    I am kind of torn between The Dark Victory or Son of the Demon, just thought you could shed some light, or maybe recommend another.

Hmm. Well, Dark Victory is a sequel to Long Halloween, but it's also a functions as a very good origin story for Dick Grayson. If you like Long Halloween, you'll like this (of course, that won't help you much as you haven't read LH yet! :P ).

Son of the Demon is a classic, very 80s-style action/espionage comic. It's an odd duck because it's technically not in continuity, but then Grant Morrison sorta kinda made it in continuity. But that's a whole other story. As it stands on its own, it's a good story with good artwork and action, and great character interaction between Batman, Talia and Ra's al Ghul, but it's definitely a comic of it's time.

Other good Batman books include Batman: Black and White, which is a series of short stories written and drawn by various (mostly high profile) folks. And, as the name implies, it's all in black and white. They have a couple volumes out there, but I've only read the first; it's pretty good.

Another great Batman story is JLA: Tower of Babel by Mark Waid. While it's a Justice League comic, it's really Batman's story and shows how he would (and could) take down the entire Justice League. He's pretty much a badass in it. :lol: It also features Ra's al Ghul.

If I were you, I'd look into Tower of Babel or Black and White before ordering Dark Victory or Son of the Demon. Pick up DV after you read LH, if you like it. Demon can be picked up any time, really; I just don't consider it essential (though I'm sure there are plenty of people who disagree).

And no worries about bugging us ... I'm glad we can help! :D
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    Thanks for the help, I will definitely check those two out, It's good to have someone to point you in right direction.
    I just finished Year One last night, really liked this, probably my favorite so far.
    Alright I was able to order Batman: Black & White, they didnt have Tower of Babel but I will check on that cheapcomics site.

Have you any suggestions on something with Robin in the mix with Batman, kind of interested to get into his character. I saw DKR for the second time, and just kinda sparked my interest, lots of people yelling out in the theatre too with Blake's character at the end. I know he is mostly likely not "Robin" or going to be him, some say he is being set up as the next Batman, but who knows, just fun to interpret the story.
    "Death in the Family" is where they had the phone-in poll on whether to kill or not to kill the second Robin character....not too shabby of a yarn....growing up Jim Aparo's art on Batman was some of my favorite.

All-Star Batman would be another one that had Robin in it.
    Like I said earlier, Dark Victory is a good Robin origin story. I'm also a big fan of Robin: Year One, which was written by Chuck Dixon, a very prolific Batman writer from the 90s.

Death in the Family is a pretty epic tale, with classic Aparo artwork, like tybird said. A "sequel" to that story is A Lonely Place of Dying, which introduces Tim Drake, the third Robin. The two stories work really well together, and I think there's a trade out there collecting both. That would probably be my recommendation for a good Robin story.

I'm less of a fan of All-Star Batman and Robin. It's written by Frank Miller, but it's just not to my taste. Gorgeous Jim Lee art, however. Also, while they have a trade out there, the story isn't completely done yet and there's no telling when it will finish -- as a monthly, it met with all sorts of delays.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    Like I said earlier, Dark Victory is a good Robin origin story. I'm also a big fan of Robin: Year One, which was written by Chuck Dixon, a very prolific Batman writer from the 90s.

Death in the Family is a pretty epic tale, with classic Aparo artwork, like tybird said. A "sequel" to that story is A Lonely Place of Dying, which introduces Tim Drake, the third Robin. The two stories work really well together, and I think there's a trade out there collecting both. That would probably be my recommendation for a good Robin story.

I'm less of a fan of All-Star Batman and Robin. It's written by Frank Miller, but it's just not to my taste. Gorgeous Jim Lee art, however. Also, while they have a trade out there, the story isn't completely done yet and there's no telling when it will finish -- as a monthly, it met with all sorts of delays.
    Yeah....something has happened to Frank and his writing in recent years....gone kinda angry on us :lol::lol: That being said, Lee's art would be the greatest asset of All-Star Batman.

Now if you like "the future gone to shit" sci-fi....Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons' Martha Washington stories, which are collected in a single volume, are the real deal.

Nowhere man....did you look for "Tower of Babel" under the listings for JLA (Justice League of America)? I bagged and boarded my copies of that run yesterday.....Mark Waid is actually the writer of that arc.

And I am not holding my breath for the completion of "All-Star Batman" :lol::lol: :twisted:
    tybird wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

Yeah....something has happened to Frank and his writing in recent years....gone kinda angry on us :lol::lol: That being said, Lee's art would be the greatest asset of All-Star Batman.

Now if you like "the future gone to shit" sci-fi....Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons' Martha Washington stories, which are collected in a single volume, are the real deal.

Nowhere man....did you look for "Tower of Babel" under the listings for JLA (Justice League of America)? I bagged and boarded my copies of that run yesterday.....Mark Waid is actually the writer of that arc.

And I am not holding my breath for the completion of "All-Star Batman" :lol::lol: :twisted:

Ah just found a copy of Tower of Babel on Chapters Canadian online book store. Looking forward to reading this should be at my house by wednesday.

Thanks again guys for the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

I went to a newer comic book shop in the city where I'm from and asked the clerk about some recommendations for a newer GN reader and he pretty much snubbed me and was very rude about the whole thing, so its nice of you guys to help me out.
    Ah just found a copy of Tower of Babel on Chapters Canadian online book store. Looking forward to reading this should be at my house by wednesday.

I went to a newer comic book shop in the city where I'm from and asked the clerk about some recommendations for a newer GN reader and he pretty much snubbed me and was very rude about the whole thing, so its nice of you guys to help me out.

Not a problem, dude. Sorry to hear about your experience at your local shop ... that sucks. In a lot of ways, comic shops are a dying buisness, so I'm sorta surprised they wouldn't be interested in helping a new reader. Regardless, I'm glad we've been able to help!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

Not a problem, dude. Sorry to hear about your experience at your local shop ... that sucks. In a lot of ways, comic shops are a dying buisness, so I'm sorta surprised they wouldn't be interested in helping a new reader. Regardless, I'm glad we've been able to help!
    Additional proof that there is a reason that "Comic book shop guy" on "The Simpsons" is so effective :lol::lol::lol:
    [/quote]
    Additional proof that there is a reason that "Comic book shop guy" on "The Simpsons" is so effective :lol::lol::lol:[/quote]

Ha, I was thinking the same thing when I was leaving the store, lol.
  • Tybird & KW18, you guys have made some great suggestions, you definitely stirred me in the right direction with the graphic novels.
    Read all of the Batman books, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Tower of Babel, Arkhum Asylum, all were great.

I was curious if you guys have any other recommendations, I was thinking about something with Wolverine or something in the Marvel family. Or anything else you think I may enjoy.

Thanks.
    Tybird & KW18, you guys have made some great suggestions, you definitely stirred me in the right direction with the graphic novels.
    Read all of the Batman books, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Tower of Babel, Arkhum Asylum, all were great.

I was curious if you guys have any other recommendations, I was thinking about something with Wolverine or something in the Marvel family. Or anything else you think I may enjoy.

Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed 'em!

I'm more of a DC guy, but there are a few Marvel books I would recommend:

Weapon X tells the origin (sort of) of Wolverine, and it's probably a great place to start for that character. It's a classic story, and features really good artwork.

Marvels is a FANTASTIC tale, telling the classic stories of the Marvel Universe through the eyes of a photo journalist. It features artwork by Alex Ross, who uses paints and draws in a more realistic quality. I'm a big fan of his work, and if you like it, I'd encourage you to check out Earth X (showing the future of the Marvel Universe), and a couple DC books: Justice, Kingdom Come and The World's Greatest Super-Heroes. Justice is just a good JLA yarn, and Kingdom Come is similar to Earth X in that it's set in the future of the DCU. World's Greatest is a bunch of stories focusing on the individual DC supers, plus a story in which the JLA solves a problem in a unique manner (it was written by Paul Dini, who has written some Batman comics and used to write for Batman the animated series).

But back to Marvel (being a DC guy means talk of DC books creep into a Marvel discussion :lol: ), there are a bunch of classic stories out there.

Frank Miller's Daredevil story Born Again is arguably one of the best stories written about that character. If you like Miller's work on Batman Year One and Dark Knight Returns, you'll like this, too.

The Dark Phoenix Saga is an X-Men book, and is one of those ground-breaking stories that other books would try to emulate in later years (indeed, many X-Men stories themselves would retread the Phoenix ground again and again).

Something with a bit more modern art (well, art within the last 20 years) is the Fatal Attractions storyline. It's basically an all-out brawl between the X-Men and Magneto, and features some pretty epic scenes with Wolverine.

In the 90s, there was the whole Age of Apocalypse storyline, which I loved at the time. It's a storyline in which the history of the universe changed and took place in an alternate timeline. Most of this was written by Scott Lobdell, who is hit and miss at times. He's more of a big action guy. Come to think of it, I believe he also wrote Fatal Attractions.

There are a tons more out there ... just about anything written by Chris Claremont will be good. But as I said, I'm less familiar with Marvel ... hopefully Tybird or someone else on the boards have some other thoughts!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • That's great, lots of chose from here, thank you very much.

I mostly only have DC stuff so far, so you could say I lean towards their comics, so I am definitely more open to their work for suggestions.
  • Just re-read "The Long Halloween" again I got it last week, man this is a great read, definitely my favorite Batman story so far. So glad I read this one, makes me wonder what Christopher Nolan could have done with this as a movie adaptation.
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    Weab76 wrote:
    Fables is a fantastic read.

Glad we have opinions :D . I read the Fables, not a fan.
    Preacher should be first.
    Watchmen and V for Vendetta are terrible if you have a short attention span. :corn:

I've been told many times that "The Killing Joke", is hands down the best Batman. I wonder what all of you think?
    I just read my own answer. I'm going to stick my head in the sand now. :(
  • Anyone read Sandman, just curious about this one.
    I just completed Y: The Last Man series and loved it, this was the first Graphic Novel series I've read.
    I heard a few these about Sandman, not a lot though.
    Anyone read Sandman, just curious about this one.
    I just completed Y: The Last Man series and loved it, this was the first Graphic Novel series I've read.
    Great read

Sandman is not what I would spend money on. If you like "the Cure" and "the Crow" , maybe you like?

Y Man is so unique.. I have no comparison

LMAO.... I will never get a monkey! :lol:
    tybird wrote:
    Great read

I've never read Sandman, but I've always wanted to. Neil Gaiman is a fantastic writer ... and those Absolute editions would look so nice on my shelf ... :D
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."