Want to make some money?

mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
:shock: :shock:

holy shit. moving to Oregon is not going to be cheap. if anyone has a moving truck, etc & wants to make some money by doing a private move, let me know.

one quote: $13K :shock: :shock: (this guy was on crack)
2nd quote: $6K (not including our travel expenses...gas, hotels, etc...)
3rd quote: $5600 (same as above)
doing it ourselves: $5K (including our expenses)

ho-leeeeeeeeeeee shit! :o

i was serious about the move, by the way. going from Dallas to Portland.

damn.
I LOVE MUSIC.
www.cluthelee.com
www.cluthe.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,872
    have you looked into ABF? www.ABF.com They have this deal where you load a small "pup" trailer( like 22') yourself and they deliver to destination. Then you unload the trailer yourself. Worth looking into.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    mickeyrat wrote:
    have you looked into ABF? http://www.ABF.com They have this deal where you load a small "pup" trailer( like 22') yourself and they deliver to destination. Then you unload the trailer yourself. Worth looking into.

+1 8-)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you have too much shit. sell it. :lol:

we uhauled out to chicagoland from ohio...roughly 270 miles and it cost a little over 2K for everything (uhaul, a visit to look for a place, apartment buy out)..so i guess the move itself was like 1-1.2

not cheap to move.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Hey Matt,
    Just moved from CA to NJ and we used '1800PackRat.com.' Cant say I loved their timing (they were a few days late) but I did like the product. We booked through Lowes after doing a lot of price shopping and got a better deal that way.
    http://www.1800packrat.com/

We crammed that bad-boy from top to bottom with stuff and they brought it cross country. Cost was nearly 4K. Might be worth looking at.
    Cost me about $150-200 to hire guys to load/unload on each side if you dont have anyone to help you carry stuff.

Good luck!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    81 wrote:

we uhauled out to chicagoland from ohio...roughly 270 miles and it cost a little over 2K for everything (uhaul, a visit to look for a place, apartment buy out)..so i guess the move itself was like 1-1.2

not cheap to move.

Ohio to Chicago is quite different than Texas to Oregon/Washington in fairness. My move from Smalbany to Phoenix is going to cost about 8-9k.

also 81...look at my avatar location...it's in the works 8-)
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Careful, careful, careful when hiring movers. For every legit company, there are 2-3 scammers. They will play games and try to charge you like double what they quoted (for moving materials marked up 1000%). If you dispute it, all your belongings will be in limbo somewhere in the U.S. They will quote you low and appear pleasant. In home visits/estimate are a must.

I would go with the companies you heard of/National ones. They often have a network of moving companies to use. The website movingscams.com has a lot of good info.

From Texas to Oregon, $5,600-$6K looks fairly reasonable depending on how much stuff. Just make sure it is a firm price and ask what, if any, the variance will be from the quoted price. See if you can get that in writing and be careful what you sign.

I think I got a 3rd floor move with pretty much a house worth of stuff from Philly to Buffalo for $3-4K? I would suggest a few more quotes. I think we went with Allied.

Having movers is a great, great luxury. They come, pack everything up, and put everything in each room/assemble furniture. You also get a benefit on your taxes.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    thanks, everyone.

my head is fucking spinning right now. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

:)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    jaw-dropping.gif
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

not cheap to move.

Ohio to Chicago is quite different than Texas to Oregon/Washington in fairness. My move from Smalbany to Phoenix is going to cost about 8-9k.

also 81...look at my avatar location...it's in the works 8-)

you missed the key part...moving ain't cheap. even a short little 270 mile move was expensive. :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

you missed the key part...moving ain't cheap. even a short little 270 mile move was expensive. :fp:

Oh. Ok, stop yelling.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Careful, careful, careful when hiring movers. For every legit company, there are 2-3 scammers. They will play games and try to charge you like double what they quoted (for moving materials marked up 1000%). If you dispute it, all your belongings will be in limbo somewhere in the U.S. They will quote you low and appear pleasant. In home visits/estimate are a must.

I would go with the companies you heard of/National ones. They often have a network of moving companies to use. The website movingscams.com has a lot of good info.

this....

there is a crew around here that lists on craigslist and there are always people popping up to warn about them as a scammer.

google is a great tool for research.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I think it is worth it though.

It takes the most shitty part out of moving... and they are a lot better at it than we are. If anything does happen, you have a bit of insurance.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    leave your stuff and buy new...gotta be cheaper :lol::lol:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    have you looked into ABF? http://www.ABF.com They have this deal where you load a small "pup" trailer( like 22') yourself and they deliver to destination. Then you unload the trailer yourself. Worth looking into.

that seems more than reasonable. thanks, Mickey! we'll keep digging!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    norm wrote:
    leave your stuff and buy new...gotta be cheaper :lol::lol:

tell that to my wife! :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • TS1969TS1969 Posts: 53
    mfc2006 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

that seems more than reasonable. thanks, Mickey! we'll keep digging!

Check out Estes and Con-Way as well. They both have a fairly big presence here in Portland and have offered this service in the past.

And if you have a friend in the freight broker business, they might have some connections with an LTL carrier.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Holy cow!!!!! Maybe if you shipped some of it, it would be cheaper? Yowsa, good luck!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • ExpatriateExpatriate Posts: 53
    My last two moves were from Utah to Baltimore and from Baltimore to western Canada. From Utah to Baltimore I rented the biggest Uhaul truck you can get and pulled a trailer with our car on the back. It was the cheapest option but was really stressful. On the highway, the truck trailer combination was longer than the semis we saw on the roads. With all the summertime road construction, trying to find a gas station that you didn't have make sharp turns, back in etc. and find a spot to park at the hotel.... I hated it. Then from Baltimore to Canada we used ABF. You still have to load and unload your stuff but the trailer just shows up. It was a much better experience. Several friends used them also and had good experiences. A mover would be the easiest but then you pay for it.
    Good luck.
  • Also, if you can afford it let the movers take it and then you and your wife can have a fun road trip. We made it last almost 2 weeks as we zig-zagged around the country and it was a total blast. We partied in new places, ate great food, met some amazing people, saw a ton of really cool stuff and spent the entire time together. Clearly we had never spent every minute of 2 weeks together and we really re-connected in some cool ways. I thought that we might kill each other being in the car for that long together but it was awesome.
    Highly recommend it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Expatriate wrote:
    My last two moves were from Utah to Baltimore and from Baltimore to western Canada. From Utah to Baltimore I rented the biggest Uhaul truck you can get and pulled a trailer with our car on the back. It was the cheapest option but was really stressful. On the highway, the truck trailer combination was longer than the semis we saw on the roads. With all the summertime road construction, trying to find a gas station that you didn't have make sharp turns, back in etc. and find a spot to park at the hotel.... I hated it. Then from Baltimore to Canada we used ABF. You still have to load and unload your stuff but the trailer just shows up. It was a much better experience. Several friends used them also and had good experiences. A mover would be the easiest but then you pay for it.
    Good luck.

i've driven these big trucks before (used to work for a moving co in Kansas City), but never w/ a trailer. considering that we'd be driving through the mountains, this doesn't seem to appealing to me. :lol:

good news about ABF. that's looking like a strong option.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    My move from NJ to FL is over 40K...

:fp:
    GoiMTvP.gif

:shock:

ok, so we're not in the same league..... :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mfc2006 wrote:

3 kids and 15 years worth of shit :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,872
    mfc2006 wrote:

is there any relocation compensation from your company?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    is there any relocation compensation from your company?
    100% :lol:
    Left that part out

... So I was not exactly checking the itemization :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056

He was asking his peers this question, not some corporate billionaire...
    mfc2006 wrote:

right now, 0 kids & 5 years worth of shit. :)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com