Things To Do In Montana?????

concertaholicshirtconcertaholicshirt Posts: 263
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I asked this in one of the main Missoula threads, but those discussions move to quickly and it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle (sorry if you responded and I missed it.) Anyway, due to the FreqFlier timing, I need to get to town a couple of days early. Landing Friday night and thinking of heading straight out to a hotel in Helena and doing Saturday there, and then swinging through Butte in the afternoon on the way back to Missoula Sat night. It seems like there are a few interesting things in those places, but not necessarily enough to fill much more than the time I have.

Can anyone recommend anything special in those areas? Any museums (I'm a Bierstadt Whore and will go out of my way to see his work)? Any funky tours run by locals (e.g. ghost, local shenanigans, etc.)? Outdoor activities? Restaurants? Anything on the road to or from those places that is worth a stop?

That's what I'm thinking, but....... any better ideas that I need to consider for must-sees in other areas of Montana? Thanks!
Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
MSG 1 & 2 2010
Montreal 2011
Missoula 2012
Seattle 2013
Denver 2014
Central Park NYC 2015
Sunrise 2016
Wrigley 2 2016
Seattle 1 2018
~~~~~~~
EV NYC 2 2011
RNDM NYC 2012
TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    1169286_o.gif
    #FHP
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Horos wrote:
    1169286_o.gif

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    there is the Old Prison Museum in Deer Lodge (between Missoula and Butte). Also an Auto Museum. http://www.pcmaf.org/prison.htm

In Phillipsburg, (between Butte and Missoula) it's an old western type town, you can go to a gem store and 'mine' for sapphires (there is a bucket you buy, and sift thru it-I'm going to do this) Montana sapphires are the highest quality sapphires you will find in the US, there is also an old style candy store.

In Butte, you can visit the Berkley Pit, Butte is an old copper mining town, and that's where they mined for copper. There is some sort of observation deck there. Also there is a Granite Mountain Mining Memorial (my family's name is up there). Here is a website that tells you how to get there: http://www.takemytrip.com/06glacier/06_29a.htm

Evel Knievel is buried in Butte as well, and there is a museum that has some of his stuff in there.

There is a statue commemorating women in the mountainside: http://ourladyoftherockies.net/

I can only recommend going to Nancy's and getting a pasty (beef, onions, and potatoes in a pastry pocked and smothered in gravy). Or you can go to Pork Chop John's and get a pork chop sandwich, if you don't like the 'fast food' feel, go to the Freeway Tavern and get a Wop Chop (a pork chop pounded flat, then battered and fried) served on a bun with pickles and onions.

That's all I know, if you're into folf, there are some courses in the area too. I can find out more if you like.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Make the drive to check out Yellowstone, we were amazed earlier this year when we visited, it was spectacular!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • deserteddotsedeserteddotse Posts: 1,276
    I asked this in one of the main Missoula threads, but those discussions move to quickly and it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle (sorry if you responded and I missed it.) Anyway, due to the FreqFlier timing, I need to get to town a couple of days early. Landing Friday night and thinking of heading straight out to a hotel in Helena and doing Saturday there, and then swinging through Butte in the afternoon on the way back to Missoula Sat night. It seems like there are a few interesting things in those places, but not necessarily enough to fill much more than the time I have.

Can anyone recommend anything special in those areas? Any museums (I'm a Bierstadt Whore and will go out of my way to see his work)? Any funky tours run by locals (e.g. ghost, local shenanigans, etc.)? Outdoor activities? Restaurants? Anything on the road to or from those places that is worth a stop?

That's what I'm thinking, but....... any better ideas that I need to consider for must-sees in other areas of Montana? Thanks!

You could go see Pearl Jam?
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • This is a pretty good site for things to do in Montana

http://www.getlostmt.com/
  • milanmilan Posts: 447
    I understand one can get dental floss by the crop.
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    drink beer
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ExpatriateExpatriate Posts: 53
    It may be too far for you but I would consider driving to Glacier/Waterton National Park. Glacier is the US side and Waterton is the Canadian side. It's about a three hour drive but well worth it. We visit both frequently and you won't be disappointed. For a few pictures look up Going-to-the-sun highway or the Prince of Wales hotel.
    Going to Waterton would require a passport. Let me know if you want more information. I could give you some ideas.
  • Horos--Well played, Sir... well played.

Ya' bastard :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To those who suggested the parks, I'm in CO quite a bit, and will be hitting those mountains again before this trip. Unless it's Grand Canyonesque, it's probably not required viewing for me if it's far away from Missoula. But I agree that the country out there is phenomenal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wave: Thanks for the link... might be some jewels there for the road trip :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RKCNDY: Thanks for the tips! Checking out Evel's final landing and the museum might be in order. He was a customer of our family tailor shop back east. First time he came in he needed some new pants hemmed and asked if it was a problem that one leg was shorter than the other (a result of his many broken bones). My dad responded: "It's Monday morning.... after the weekend I had, all the pants are gonna wind up one leg shorter than the other." Evel was a steady customer the rest of his time in the area :mrgreen:
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    cattle
  • VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    There are a lot of natural hot springs in Montana. Look them up. Just outside of town is lolo hot springs, good for visitors.

On the way here from butte is fairmont hot springs, another good one for visitors.

Then of course there are natural hot springs that you can find with the Eli of a guide book.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • "To those who suggested the parks, I'm in CO quite a bit, and will be hitting those mountains again before this trip. Unless it's Grand Canyonesque, it's probably not required viewing for me if it's far away from Missoula. But I agree that the country out there is phenomenal."

You wont go wrong no matter what you choose but as someone who just drove across the country and took in several national parks (as well as having been to many others on previous trips) dont be fooled by bundling this with other spots. Been to CO lots of times and there are zero spots in CO where you can be driving and have a buffalo walk past you. :o

Seriously you will have a blast however you slice it -- of all of the parks I have been to I only enjoyed Yosemite more than Yellowstone. It truly is very different -- I liked the Grand Canyon but it was 'more of the same' once the initial stunning beauty set in. Yellowstone is the size of Delaware & Rhode Island together and it extremely diverse.

Otherwise, I agree with 81 -- drink beer! (And enjoy the show!) Good luck.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
    Where does mary jane like to hang out as I'm flying in from PA :geek: :geek:

Going to hit up Glacier as it's not to far away from Missoula. Also anyone know anything about the drive from Spokane, WA to Missoula?

Thanks and look forward to meeting some cool jammers that weekend.
    This too shall pass.....
    There's rattlesnakes in Montana isn't there? :fp:
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,902
    5against1- wrote:

Going to hit up Glacier as it's not to far away from Missoula. Also anyone know anything about the drive from Spokane, WA to Missoula?

I looked into perhaps flying to Spokane and then driving to Missoula but nixed the idea after deciding it wasn't worth the hassle (no real cost advantage in my case). Having said that, it looks to be a fairly simple and manageable 3 hour drive.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    5against1- wrote:

you best not hang out with Mary Jane if she is 'from' Montana...find someone who is driving to there from a different state.
    DS1119 wrote:

yes, but they don't hang out in the bars eating steak and catsup
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    5against1- wrote:

you best not hang out with Mary Jane if she is 'from' Montana...find someone who is driving to there from a different state.
    DS1119 wrote:

yes, but they don't hang out in the bars eating steak and ketchup

fixed
    can't wait to get me a big ol montana steak....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    see pearl jam
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    81 wrote:

Not being a wise ass or anything but is Montana known for it's steak? Cause if it is I'll buy a little shit charcoal grill and just leave the fucker there or give it someone.
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Not being a wise ass or anything but is Montana known for it's steak? Cause if it is I'll buy a little shit charcoal grill and just leave the fucker there or give it someone.

i dunno, but i want one....

i was thinking this place

http://www.montanaclub.com/

but just stumbled across this place

http://www.finnandporter.com/index.cfm

if any of you locals have a recommendation....that would be great.

gonna kill my $400 budget
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Last time I got a steak in Montana, it had a 2" strip of fat on the side, and over cooked. That was at a restaurant. There is a butcher I know of that has excellent brats and steak, I can bring some over if you like. (I don't know of a butcher in Missoula) they might even have Venison, elk, bison...etc.

- Christopher McCandless
    81 wrote:

I opened this page and I'm pretty sure I just drooled on my pants after looking at that steak.

drool-smiley.gif
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Last time I got a steak in Montana, it had a 2" strip of fat on the side, and over cooked.

sadly, not everyone takes as much care with their steaks as they should :(

RKCNDY wrote:
    they might even have Venison, elk, bison...etc.

be careful if you have steak from one of these....they are much leaner animal. i've had a bison steak once....not sure i would do it again. that said, bison makes a great burger.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Last time I got a steak in Montana, it had a 2" strip of fat on the side, and over cooked. That was at a restaurant. There is a butcher I know of that has excellent brats and steak, I can bring some over if you like. (I don't know of a butcher in Missoula) they might even have Venison, elk, bison...etc.

2 inch strip of fat. Geez. How big was the steak and what cut?
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

I opened this page and I'm pretty sure I just drooled on my pants after looking at that steak.

drool-smiley.gif

only downside....i didn't see any porter on teh beer menu. :fp: :lol:

martini's it is. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

2 inch strip of fat. Geez. How big was the steak and what cut?

10oz T-bone

I think 6oz was edible. :x

- Christopher McCandless
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

drool-smiley.gif

only downside....i didn't see any porter on teh beer menu. :fp: :lol:

martini's it is. :lol:

Kind of weird this joint is essentially located in DC with two places and then have a place in Montana. Makes me wonder if the owner has a vacation spot there or something.