Sandusky found guilty on 45 of 48 counts

comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 3033.story

BELLEFONTE, Pennsylvania - A jury in Centre County has convicted former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky of sexually abusing children over the course of several decades while a coach and coach emeritus at Penn State.

The jury, which deliberated for two days, found Sandusky guilty of 45 of 48 charges of sexual abuse in a case that has rocked the normally sleepy community of Centre County.

Allegations of a cover-up by high ranking Penn State officials led to the firing of longtime head football coach Joe Paterno, who died several months later at the age of 85. Perjury charges against two Penn State administrators who allegedly lied to a grand jury about their knowledge of the sexual abuse are still pending.

Sandusky, once hailed as a hero in State College where his defenses anchored two Penn State national title teams, now faces about 440 years in prison.

I think I just exhaled.
tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Yes it is good news. See how far the dominos fall now.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    So important for the victims to have some validation. Nothing is going to undo their pain, but hopefully this can spur some healing. What a brave group of men.

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Great news. Now time to get the fucks who covered this up.
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Great news. Now time to get the fucks who covered this up.
    Agreed. All that's been in the news the past few days is cases in which people have conspired to cover up child sex abuse. It's making me a little world weary.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    That Philly Monsignor has been found guilty too. Strange though, the priest he was tried with was a hung jury/aquitted?

Heard earlier that the sandusky jury asked the judge about hearsay evidence that was presented. Judge said they couldnt convict based on that evidence alone but could consider it when paired with other evidence. He then asked if that answered their question, to which they replied it did.

I wonder if that is the 3 charges he wasnrt found guilty on. It related to "victim #8".
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    That Philly Monsignor has been found guilty too. Strange though, the priest he was tried with was a hung jury/aquitted?

Heard earlier that the sandusky jury asked the judge about hearsay evidence that was presented. Judge said they couldnt convict based on that evidence alone but could consider it when paired with other evidence. He then asked if that answered their question, to which they replied it did.

I wonder if that is the 3 charges he wasnrt found guilty on. It related to "victim #8".
    There was a hung jury on the priest. 81 posted an update on that: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=178335&start=30

It would make sense that it had to do with the hearsay evidence. It's a shame that the actual witness is unable to testify.

They came to a really fast verdict considering there were 48 counts. It seems like they were pretty certain of the verdict from the start.

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Have fun dying in prison
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    They came to a really fast verdict considering there were 48 counts. It seems like they were pretty certain of the verdict from the start.
    Yes. I'm somewhat shocked that they were able to reach verdicts in all 48 counts this quickly.

And I'll admit that I started buying into the talk I've been hearing since the beginning about how the jurors couldn't possibly be impartial and they'd be looking to "avenge" JoePa by acquitting Sandusky so I was a bit worried.

Good to see that those fears were unfounded.
    JTH wrote:
    Yes. I'm somewhat shocked that they were able to reach verdicts in all 48 counts this quickly.

And I'll admit that I started buying into the talk I've been hearing since the beginning about how the jurors couldn't possibly be impartial and they'd be looking to "avenge" JoePa by acquitting Sandusky so I was a bit worried.

Good to see that those fears were unfounded.
    From the reports I've heard it sounded like the victims' pain was obvious and genuine to the people in the court room. The jury was apparently visibly reacting during the first day of testimony. I'm really glad the jury was able to see through all the distractions and really pay attention to the case and evidence at hand.

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    good at least the victims have something to start the healing process with - horrible human being. as for the "victims" that are PSU football fans I hope they look at this, and the coverup, and start to rethink their ridiculousness.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so glad this trial wasn't oj'ed
    RW81233 wrote:
    good at least the victims have something to start the healing process with - horrible human being. as for the "victims" that are PSU football fans I hope they look at this, and the coverup, and start to rethink their ridiculousness.
    There were reports that cheers erupted at a bar near state college when the verdict was read.

• perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    Great news!
    Hope that sick fuck enjoys his stay in prison and hell!
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    Great news!
    I hope he lives an unusually long life and suffers every day of it

• perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    Great news!
    I hope he lives an unusually long life and suffers every day of it
    That would be nice.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
    penn st statement

rw, have a cocktail or take your meds before you read it ;)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    norm wrote:
    penn st statement

I read that as , "Vics, form a line here. We're going to pay and pay big time"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    norm wrote:
    penn st statement

I read that as , "Vics, form a line here. We're going to pay and pay big time"
    ...and we'd rather make you a deal than go through the courts because we know we will lose. Big time.

correctamundo
    Joe Amendola Press Conference

can't decide if this guy remarkably stupid or incredibly brilliant
    norm wrote:

He doesn't seem bothered by the verdict a bit. Almost sort of feels like "I'll do my job, but this guy is guilty as sin."

norm wrote:

He doesn't seem bothered by the verdict a bit. Almost sort of feels like "I'll do my job, but this guy is guilty as sin."

nerd alert:
    there was a defense attorney on law and order that was a bungling idiot...so jack mccoy lets his guard down and turns out the guy was conning him...who thing was an act and the guy nearly got his client off

this guy seems very similar :ugeek: :lol:
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

nerd alert:
    there was a defense attorney on law and order that was a bungling idiot...so jack mccoy lets his guard down and turns out the guy was conning him...who thing was an act and the guy nearly got his client off

this guy seems very similar :ugeek: :lol:
    hmmmmm...so he's an idiotic genius... :lol: Maybe the attorney on law and order was based on this guy :lol:

never mind, he's just weird

http://deadspin.com/5920728/
    norm wrote:
    never mind, he's just weird

http://deadspin.com/5920728/
    :fp: :lol: omfg I am REALLY glad Sandusky chose him

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    of course he's guilty. prison sentence is small consolation to the kids that suffered, nothing can undo that.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    of course he's guilty. prison sentence is small consolation to the kids that suffered, nothing can undo that.
    so true. They have a long road towards healing. The validation from the verdicts will help propel that. I'm really glad they weren't re-victimized by having their accusations unfounded.

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    "It was the expected outcome because of the overwhelming evidence against Jerry Sandusky," he said.

duh.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    "It was the expected outcome because of the overwhelming evidence against Jerry Sandusky," he said.

duh.
    :lol: yeah...that's generally how it works.

• Nittany1bnNittany1bn Posts: 214
    I'm glad he was convicted. i don't think i have ever been more sad than i was the day these allegations came out. we are