Options

Ed's improv after Not For You - Gorge

Comments

• Options
    so I'm editing some personal videos for my own family's DVD including my weddingmoon and reception and I'm searching for soundtrack music. My wife and I are expecting a baby girl in November and I needed appropriate music for the upcoming baby segment.

and wow.

I came upon this improv by pure accident listening to the Gorge and I have to admit, I got misty-eyed thinking about my own beautiful situation. I loved how his emotion was shown through the voice fluctuation during the ‘bring to home’ line…. I felt on the same wavelength with him there.

I agree with aNiMaL on this one….don’t see this as an abortion statement but rather a father’s love for his child.

Noel_sinceTEN
    UPDATE: "2012, watch it go to fire!"

1996-Ft. Laud/1998-WP Bch/2000-Tpa/2003-Tpa/2004-Kiss/2008-WP Bch/2008-Tampa/2010 Jazz Fest/9/11/11 & 9/12/11 Toronto,/ 9/12/11 Film Fest w/Eddie

9/22 Midtown Fest and Eddie solo 12/3 & 12/4
  • Options
    Becoming a father was the best thing in my life ever it is a feeling that is hard to describe I am thrilled for Eddie becoming a father
    12/27/91-L.A.-W/Nirvana & Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9/10/92-Singles Party L.A-Park Plaza Hotel
    12/1/93-Las Vegas Aladdin Hotel
    7/10/98-San Diego Cox Arena
    7/11/98-Las Vegas Thomas & Mack
    8/12/00 Tampa St Petes Time Forum
    4/13/03 Tampa St Petes Time Forum
    10/8/04 Kissimee I want the DVD
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    pacifier wrote:
    does eddie have a daughter? how old?

Ill be the one to do the honors today,

-Rules state no discussing the personal lives of the band.

I know he was talking about it at the show but we really cant discuss details.
    Theres lots of info out on the web.

Gen
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    vocal improv(s) sooo rawk

ed da man
  • Options
    vocal improv(s) sooo rawk

ed da man

not sure it was an improv ;)
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    I only heard a couple of things different. :) But also, in the same song, there is the line about "my table seats just two" and then off mic to the side he says, "three".

Then the improv about "my friends call me Ed. You can call me . . . . You drove for three fucking hours, you can call me . . . . . Cracks me up.

I definitely think its just an improv about his daughter probably not a real song (yet). He did discuss her at Missoula too so I don't think its top secret. Plus she was off stage dancing at the time with her binky.

This is what I hear.

Now I'm here.
    Now you're there.
    And now there's another one
    And she is clear.

All our lives
    Could have never known
    What she could bring
    To our home (laughing)

And to think
    When I was young
    I was ready
    To give it up

Somehow stayed
    Never changing
    And here we are
    And its love that remains
    Our love remains
    Our life remains
    and explains

Hopefully that's somewhat close since I transcribe for a living. :)
    . . . and in the aching night under satellites, I was not received. --CC
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    gjemsel wrote:
    Then the improv about "my friends call me Ed. You can call me . . . . You drove for three fucking hours, you can call me . . . . . Cracks me up.
    That cracks me up too! I love the way he sings that part...

I also really love the way he sings "I Am Mine" during this show...Ed really puts something extra in it.....the whole tour he is doing that....he is just a phenominal singer.....that boys got pipes!!!
  • Options
    "Not bad, eh? Certain things in life, it's a long way getting there. But once you're there it's just fucking spectacular and that's it."
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    "Not bad, eh? Certain things in life, it's a long way getting there. But once you're there it's just fucking spectacular and that's it."

"That's one hell of a backyard."
  • Options
    oktacoma wrote:
    "That's one hell of a backyard."
    "And, that's one hell of a back yard!"

Damn....I am still reeling from this show and it was over a week ago.....damn!
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    "And, that's one hell of a back yard!"

Damn....I am still reeling from this show and it was over a week ago.....damn!

Yeah, me too. What an amazing night! I loved it when Ed said, "I always thought that song was a bit long" after messing up Off He Goes. Classic!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    It sounds like someone is happy with his family these days. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Don't forget two of my other favorite Ed quotes from that show:

"Boom Gaspar, from the Hawaiian Islands . . . . . . Mike McCready from Bainbridge Island. . . . . I just made that up." (Mike's from Seattle.)

and

"Jeff Ament . . . . . Jeff skateboarded here from Missoula to get here tonight. . . . I swam." LMAO on that one. :)

Something like that anyway. I agree he was in rare form and in a really good mood. It showed in the music.
  • Options
    gjemsel wrote:
    Don't forget two of my other favorite Ed quotes from that show:

"Boom Gaspar, from the Hawaiian Islands . . . . . . Mike McCready from Bainbridge Island. . . . . I just made that up." (Mike's from Seattle.)

and

"Jeff Ament . . . . . Jeff skateboarded here from Missoula to get here tonight. . . . I swam." LMAO on that one. :)

Something like that anyway. I agree he was in rare form and in a really good mood. It showed in the music.
    I love both of those quotes!!!!

After the tour we need to start a thread titled "Pearl Jam, please play the Gorge AGAIN!!!"
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    OH WOW! :o This improv was one of the most emotional/touching highlights of the night. :o Absloutely gorgeous! The man was pouring it all out.

And how kick ass was this version of NOT FOR YOU??! :eek: All those added "fucks"!! Daaaamn. Looooved it! :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    Also wanna add that agree with everyone how matching these 2 songs up was perfectly fitting! It's probably been mentioned somewhere, but I'm thinking this is for sure a new song. The album opens up with a song Ed wrote for his daughter...

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    justam wrote:
    It sounds like someone is happy with his family these days. :)

yes indeed it does, justam....

don't it make you smile?...~

;)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 786
    I'm not going to discuss Ed's personal life here other than what he has chosen to make public. However, I will say that given the experience he had with his own father, this is a very special time for the Edster. He has a an opportunity to set things right, if you will, as do we all who know the joy of having our own children. The wrongs that were done to us need not be repeated- it is a very acute and visceral chance for change. You can do as much as you want to change the world and occasionally be blessed with a platform such as the best rock n roll band of all time to insert your delta, but when all is said and done, the most important job you have is as a parent. That's where changing the world really happens. Have you ever tried to change someone's mind? i'm sure you know how fucking hard that is, eh? With a child, you are actually in a position to actually develop the very mind you created (no slight to adoption because that is just as poignant here). How powerful is that? That's why the second most important job, after parent, in my opinion, is a teacher. But that is another tangent...

So, in summary, the idea that this tag was for Ed's daughter is a beautiful insight into a father's love for his daughter. Only time will tell if Ed is a good father, but this window looks in upon a man who is obviously in love, and that is a great start!

In a way, Ed's fame has now come full circle. Every thing he does or sings on stage is a document now. Something to be passed on. The things that were a curse before, are now in some ways an advantage. However, it won't always be roses. Being at that level of fame and trying to raise a well adjusted child will be full of challenges.

Imagine though, for a minute if she is blessed with his lungs and pipes. Could you see them trading verses someday? Does the thought melt you like it does me?
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i think there are a few people out there that have children and are prochoice.. come on
    i think you are very wrong

all4
  • Options
    pacifier wrote:
    you don't? what then? to me it sounds pretty clearly to be a reference to his past. If not, then i don't know why he would sing something that could so closely identified with it.

not abortion
    just not wanting kids. when he was younger.
    i can totally identify with that I feel the same way. And I have a lovely 16 year old son to prove an uninformed desire at one point in my life, has proven to be the best thing that has ever happened. And I am old, so there is actual competition there ;-) Nothing beats it, but when you grow up in certain times, as I am sure this generation will attest someday; you start to wonder if it's a very good idea to bring a life into what might be a state of circumstance which prohibts their ability to have a life like yours, or better. In the 70's as kids they scared us alot with end of war propagda and sadly reality. As a child of the era, and a little girl I can tell ya bringing a baby into the world sometimes didn't seem fair. And then there are all those other things to consider about whether or not you would be a good parent and do a child justice. I gotta say, at one point in my life I didn't want it either. Now I am very happy and blessed. Thats what I interpret that to mean, maybe thats just me but abortion never entered my mind. My opinions on abortion are the same regardless of my childs birth. I CHOSE to have my son.

I kinda think this is more of a reflection on parenting, not so much rights.
  • Options
    If there is anything we have learned from this thread is that Ed is not capable of changing his mind. :))))))))

thanks guys for enlightening us!!!
    there once was a funny quote from a funny poem about a douchebag where this sentence is now.
  • Options
    snekejam wrote:
    If there is anything we have learned from this thread is that Ed is not capable of changing his mind. :))))))))

thanks guys for enlightening us!!!
    I don't understand your post.....
  • Options
    <~~~ listening for the first time

:o

*tears*

YES -when he hits the "to our home" part and his voice just quivers!?!?! This is one of the most beautiful, SUPER heartfelt things I have ever heard. Soooo feel the love! ED!!! Awww! :):):) Soooooo damn beautiful.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    <~~~ listening for the first time

:o

*tears*

YES -when he hits the "to our home" part and his voice just quivers!?!?! This is one of the most beautiful, SUPER heartfelt things I have ever heard. Soooo feel the love! ED!!! Awww! :):):) Soooooo damn beautiful.
    I am so glad you finally know what we've been talking about. I know what you mean....I really like it too. :)
  • Options
    pacifierpacifier Posts: 1,009
    genevieve wrote:
    Ill be the one to do the honors today,

-Rules state no discussing the personal lives of the band.

I know he was talking about it at the show but we really cant discuss details.
    Theres lots of info out on the web.

Gen

just thought it must have been general well known info for all these people to know about it. If it's considered too personal I don't really care to know. But I do imagine Ed would make a pretty cool dad. I wouldn't mind if he was my dad :)
  • Options
    pacifierpacifier Posts: 1,009
    EZStreet wrote:
    not abortion
    just not wanting kids. when he was younger. .

Yeah, looking at it again I can see that. There's a number of reasons I can't really comment on this song with any accuracy, the two main reasons being
    1. I haven't heard the song, so I can't hear how the words are being expressed;and
    2. I'm not Ed, so I have no idea what was going through his head.
    EZStreet wrote:
    i can totally identify with that I feel the same way. And I have a lovely 16 year old son to prove an uninformed desire at one point in my life, has proven to be the best thing that has ever happened. And I am old, so there is actual competition there ;-) Nothing beats it, but when you grow up in certain times, as I am sure this generation will attest someday; you start to wonder if it's a very good idea to bring a life into what might be a state of circumstance which prohibts their ability to have a life like yours, or better.

I'm glad you made that choice. I don't judge people who have had an abortion, I'm sure it is a decision that no one would ever take lightly and it has an effect on you your whole life, but I could never do it myself. And when I heard that my grandmother tried to convince my mother to have an abortion when she was pregnant with my sister because she was only 15 at the time and again with me because she was going through a difficult personal sitiuation at the time, it only convinced me further that it is something I could never do. I'm so glad I was given the opportunity to live. but anyway, this is not an issue we need to get into on this board.
  • Options
    It's funny, because a year and a half later....I remember back then after the 2005 Gorge show I posted this thread and there was some speculation if this was possibly the workings of a new song. But nope, it appears to have been much more special improv from Ed.

Such great memories. I love the Gorge and I love Pearl Jam....so it goes without saying that I really love Pearl Jam at The Gorge!!!
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Now I’m there
    Now you’re there
    And now there’s another one
    She is clear
    All our life
    Could have never known
    What she could bring
    To our home (proud daddy laughing as he sang this part)
    And to think
    When I was young
    I was ready
    To give it up
    Somehow stayed
    Never changing
    And here we are
    And its love that remains
    Our love remains
    Our life remains

I can't figure out the very last thing he says before going into Corduroy...Can anyone understand what he says there...also, does the rest of this look accurate to what you hear?

Paris 2006 - same riff idea but the lyrics are much better - check it out on http://www.pearljamlive.com
    'Life comes from within your heart and desire'

~~Wembley 2000, Reading 2006, Paris 2006, Wembley 2007~~
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    aNiMaL wrote:
    It's funny, because a year and a half later....I remember back then after the 2005 Gorge show I posted this thread and there was some speculation if this was possibly the workings of a new song. But nope, it appears to have been much more special improv from Ed.

Such great memories. I love the Gorge and I love Pearl Jam....so it goes without saying that I really love Pearl Jam at The Gorge!!!

right with you, best improv i have heard. ever. at the best venue. ever. with the best band. ever. :cool:
  • Options
    gjemselgjemsel Posts: 77
    aNiMaL wrote:

I almost wrote you back after I heard it again on another boot. Not the same words, of course, but the same melody. Close enought that I had to back up and listen to it again.

Now I definitely have to go back and find it.