Options

SF: Night 1, 2 or 3 was the best?

FeelLikeAStrangerFeelLikeAStranger Posts: 59
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I went to the first two shows and they kicked ass. How did the 3rd one stack up?
Matt and I are friends.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. I went to all 3. Night 3 was far and away the best, however night 1 was really good as well.
    tacos
  • Options
    i call a 3 way tie for first place...

the third one was good throughout...but the end was phenomenal...as youve probably already heard...
    2000 - Houston (x2)
    2003 - Houston, NOLA
    2005 - Toronto, Mexico City (x2)
    2006 - DC, NYC Avalon (Storytellers), E Rutherford (x2), SF (x3)
    2007 - Chicago (Lollapalooza)
    2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden (x2), DC, NYC MSG (x2), EV DC (x2)
    2009 - EV Baltimore (x2)
    2011 - EV SF (x2), Toronto (x2)
  • Options
    McDungMcDung Posts: 27
    I have only been to the First show...but based on reading the fanviews it's like this

1st: Of The Girl, God's Dice vs. 2nd: Eddie going into the crowd during Last Kiss, better crowd vs. 3rd: Crazy Mary, All Along the Watchtower
  • Options
    tganztganz Posts: 3
    Night 2 was great, but Ed didn't seem totally together (messing up Sometimes is just one example). I think having Monday off did the band a lot of good. They all seemed really energized and into Tueday's performance. Ed seemed more intense and focused. Also seemed like he was having more fun (for example, the guitar riding). It's a tight race, but out of the two shows I attended, I give a very slight edge to Night 3.

Only bummer was not hearing Black on either night....the one song I was dying to hear live.
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    McDung wrote:
    I have only been to the First show...but based on reading the fanviews it's like this

1st: Of The Girl, God's Dice vs. 2nd: Eddie going into the crowd during Last Kiss, better crowd vs. 3rd: Crazy Mary, All Along the Watchtower
    No..it's more like this:

Footsteps/STBC/Indifference Vs. Amerikan in Me/Leash/Fuckin' Up Vs. Untitled/Red Mosquito/Light Years/Down/Leash/AATWT

awww, shit...why couldn't I have stayed for the third show? Oh well, having been to the first two, I say night 2 was better.
  • Options
    vedhead10vedhead10 Posts: 40
    Seemed like Ed wasnt as drunk for night 3.
    "I had a false belief, I thought I came here to stay...We're all just visiting...All just breaking like waves."
    10/19,20/96 11/15/97 7/16/98 10/30,31/99
    10/30,31/00 10/20,21/01 6/1/03 10/25,26/03
    7/13,15,16,18/06 4/5,7,8/08, 8/28/09, *7/9,11,12/11*
    www.fearedandloathed.com
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    For me night 2 was the best. Sure Ed screwed up some lyrics but the energy was amazing. The end of the main set was incredible. Garden, I Got Shit, Inside Job and RVM. Also it was the only show that Marker In the Sand, Come Back, Army Reserve and Inside Job were played at. Even Last Kiss didn't suck like it usually does. Oh and Fuckin' Up was the best version I've ever seen. That's my case for night 2.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    j88ryanj88ryan Posts: 66
    Didn't go to 3 but 2 was slightly better than 1. Both were GREAT!
  • Options
    ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    well, unless you hold a gun to my head, I refuse to choose one nite over another.....all 3 had something special and with nite ONE boot d/l and 2 to go, I guess as long as you heard some songs that YOU love, it was all good......
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Toshala wrote:
    well, unless you hold a gun to my head, I refuse to choose one nite over another.....all 3 had something special and with nite ONE boot d/l and 2 to go, I guess as long as you heard some songs that YOU love, it was all good......
    :::Holding a gun to Toshala's head:::
  • Options
    glorified_jglorified_j Posts: 183
    All three were absolutely amazing...i had the time of my life....night 2 was the best for me personally....followed by night one....night three was the "least" great, awesome, wonderful of all three just because of the morons in the crowd...but night three did have some great songs, release, in hiding, red mosquito, mfc, last exit and the guitar surfing
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    I really think it's Night 3 in a landslide. not that the other two were bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Night 3 just seemed to have more shit coming out of left field, I dunno. I mean, In Hiding? Untitled into MFC? AATW? Plus, the Mike-Boom Crazy Mary jam?

I guess it really is a personal question. there are a lot of variables. How was the setlist? How was your view? How were the folks around you?

Night 3, I answered "phenomenal" for all three questions. If I was standing behind some 7-foot guy and couldn't see, or if I was surrounded by frat boys wreaking havoc, maybe I would think differently.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    papalonpapalon Posts: 5
    It seems as though all 3 were pretty great in their own right. My personal order would be SF2 first (because I was there among other reasons), then probably SF3 and third would be SF1. I wish I could have gone to all 3 but my girlfriend isn't a fan. I dragged her to SF2, but anymore would have driven her absolutely crazy.
  • Options
    papalon wrote:
    It seems as though all 3 were pretty great in their own right. My personal order would be SF2 first (because I was there among other reasons), then probably SF3 and third would be SF1. I wish I could have gone to all 3 but my girlfriend isn't a fan. I dragged her to SF2, but anymore would have driven her absolutely crazy.

seriously dude. grow a set.

maybe ed should have dedicated "whipping" to you on Night 2.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    If I was standing behind some 7-foot guy and couldn't see, or if I was surrounded by frat boys wreaking havoc, maybe I would think differently.

That, coupled with Eddie's focus and intensity causes me to go with 3 over 2.
    Shorter set... but AMAZING.

Did anyone mention Mike going shirtless? I haven't seen a pix yet, but I want to see his body art.

Do I surprise my wife with a big Avacado Tat on my back this weekend?
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    cbh1011 wrote:
    That, coupled with Eddie's focus and intensity causes me to go with 3 over 2.
    Shorter set... but AMAZING.

Did anyone mention Mike going shirtless? I haven't seen a pix yet, but I want to see his body art.

Do I surprise my wife with a big Avacado Tat on my back this weekend?

Agaun I agree, night 3 was the best. No question about. By the way, I got a tattoo this weekend while I was in San Francisco of the PJ ape/man holding the machine gun.
    tacos
  • Options
    iwasthere wrote:
    Agaun I agree, night 3 was the best. No question about. By the way, I got a tattoo this weekend while I was in San Francisco of the PJ ape/man holding the machine gun.

Did you get it on your shoulder? if so, I'm pretty sure I saw it from across the room at the CCFA thing. I remember, because I'd never seen that tat before.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Did you get it on your shoulder? if so, I'm pretty sure I saw it from across the room at the CCFA thing. I remember, because I'd never seen that tat before.

Were you guys at the CCFA on Sunday..?
    Which guys were you?

I ask as someone who has enjoyed reading your threads on various subjects over the years, and I particularly enjoyed this tour meeting people at the shows and putting a face with an ID.

I was there Sunday at the CCFA, first with the PJ Shirt (Eagle on army green) and then changing into the green Jeff Ament CCFA fundraiser shirt.
  • Options
    Night 3 was the best

The energy was amazing.

however I believe Footsteps on night 1 was the highlight of all 3 shows.
    But overall, night 3 was the best.
  • Options
    So I agree all three nights had there moments of greatness and were amazing in their own right. To me though SF3 was the best, I had the stupid drunk kid around, the guys in front of me that were taller and leave to get drinks or come back at the worse possible moment (Evenflow), but the setlist was like here are the best songs we played from the two nights before and let us raindown upon you Crazy Mary, Man of the Hour, All Along the Watchtower, Release, Red Mosquito and Hail Hail. OHHHH and to top it off McCready will destroy his guitar and then Eddie will surf it. I didn't think Eddie could top himself but each night from 8 tamborines destroyed SF1, to his best Jim Morrison impression SF2 but Eddie surfing the guitar WOW. I was with my friends I have known since 4th grade (I am now 22) and Boom finally unleashing himself SF3 was the best. We can argue to death about this and I down, just all I gotta say is thank you Pearl Jam. Another thing as I listen to SF3 well typing this, when Ed made you think Neil was coming and it turned out to be Boom that was fucking awesome. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. I am drunk on Red Wine again so don't hate on the grammer.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • Options
    See its such a tough call. for the first night I was in the balcony, drunk and stoned and I danced my f'ing tail off and thought the show was my favorite of my cali tour. Sf2 I was front row in the pit and was getting pushed on the whole night. Two totally different experiences. I was able to enjoy the music more the first night, but seeing PJ front row is priceless, so go figure.

Did any of you think Mike was subpar SF2? I thought his Even Flow solo was unusually uninspired and I almost fell asleep during that nights Yellow Ledbetter's Star Spangled tag. And save your criticism of me for "not knowing good MIke from bad Mike." Trust me, I do.

All three nights seem to be equally intriguing for their own reasons. Who would agree on this?
    Matt and I are friends.
  • Options
    MeijinMeijin Posts: 51
    3 > 1 > 2.

3 & 1 are close but 3 was better; as I've said in the fanviews thread, 2 was good but not on par with 1/3. Felt sloppy.
  • Options
    mytincturemytincture Posts: 61

HAHAHAHA... best post i've read on here in a long time.
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Honestly, I can't rank them. Each of the shows was absolutely incredible. These were shows 11-13 for me, and they were all far superior to any of my previous PJ concerts. I thought Saturday night's crowd might have actually been the best. And I got to hear Sad for the first time that night. Sunday night, I heard In My Tree for the first time, and it was probably the best I have heard Mike over an entire show. The third night, as so many others have mentioned, may end up as one of those legendary shows. The set, the crowd. . .All Along the Watchtower with Mike going nuts. As I posted in the fanviews for night 3, I have flown all over trying to catch a truly great Pearl Jam show because I never thought one would happen here in the Bay Area. It always seemed like it was Philly or Boston or NYC. Then they play three of them in a row right here in my hometown. Unbelievable.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    cbh1011 wrote:
    Were you guys at the CCFA on Sunday..?
    Which guys were you?

I ask as someone who has enjoyed reading your threads on various subjects over the years, and I particularly enjoyed this tour meeting people at the shows and putting a face with an ID.

I was there Sunday at the CCFA, first with the PJ Shirt (Eagle on army green) and then changing into the green Jeff Ament CCFA fundraiser shirt.

yeah, I was there. sat at the bar most of the time, watching five-month old soccer games and what not. I guess I wasn't being too sociable :)
  • Options
    Did any of you think Mike was subpar SF2? I thought his Even Flow solo was unusually uninspired and I almost fell asleep during that nights Yellow Ledbetter's Star Spangled tag. And save your criticism of me for "not knowing good MIke from bad Mike." Trust me, I do.

Honestly, I didn't notice. Mike always sounds pretty good to me, but I'm such a guitar whore for that guy.

I will admit the SSB tag on Night 3 seemed more interesting. why, I can't put my finger on it.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229

Dude, I nearly choked on my coffee reading that! When I read his post I thought the same thing…hell, go without her then if it bugs her. Shit my woman is 6 months pregnant and she had no issues w/me heading to all three shows…and I even finally persuaded her to attend the final night with me and she was glad that she had.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    LutesLutes Posts: 43
    Night 3 was one of those special shows. All the SF shows were good but you could defiitely tell that SF 3 was special to the band. The energy was amazing and the setlist was sick. I have been to 43 shows and SF 3 may have taken over the top spot. I have been to some pretty unique shows as well, all 3 showbox shows, seattle II, benaroya, mount baker theatre, the gorge, just to name a few.
  • Options
    BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    Meijin wrote:
    3 > 1 > 2.

I'll second that ranking. Night 3 may have been the best show I've ever seen - it's kind of tied with MSG 2 '03 for me. If they had worked Smile in there (somebody claimed it had been scratched off the setlist) it would be my undisputed favorite of all time. But All Along the Watchtower was unreal. And the place went bananas for Red Mosquito and Light Years -- well, OK, I went bananas, I have no idea what everybody else was doing :D

God's Dice on Night 1 was great. So was Of The Girl. Night 2 highlights were Rearviewmirror and F*ckin' Up. The Sometimes screw-up was funny but also kind of disappointing, and that's what pushes night 2 to 3rd place.

All in all, 3 great shows, but something about night 3 felt magical.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • Options
    liesandsaysliesandsays Posts: 132
    My favorite is night 1 out of the three... Sunday seemed a little dead...although last kiss in the audience kicked serious ass.. night three had great songs.. Red Mosquito..but I still vote for night 1..amazing energy
    Up the West Coast in 2006 and Hawaii++Santa Barbara, San Fran x 3, Portland, Gorge x2
    Chicago and Down the Coast in 2003
    Seattle 2005
    SF 2000, 2001, 2003--- oh or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself