$1,000,000 Speeding Ticket!

2»

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    81 wrote:
    you really should get out more

So what you're basically saying is if Bill Gates and I both get a speeding ticket and both of us are convicted of the same speeding violation(in spite of him spending 100,000 on a crack attorney team to fight it) he should pay a bigger fine than me because he has a larger income? That's the issue I'm discussing here.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

So what you're basically saying is if Bill Gates and I both get a speeding ticket and both of us are convicted of the same speeding violation(in spite of him spending 100,000 on a crack attorney team to fight it) he should pay a bigger fine than me because he has a larger income? That's the issue I'm discussing here.

no, he would pay less of a fine.....

did you know steve jobs always drove a car without plates because of a quirk in the law that allowed you 30 days post car purchase to get plates.....he bought a new car every month....or whatever the time frame was...

yes, having money buys you privelages.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

no, he would pay less of a fine.....

How the hell would you figure that? :fp: :?
    81 wrote:
    did you know steve jobs always drove a car without plates because of a quirk in the law that allowed you 30 days post car purchase to get plates.....he bought a new car every month....or whatever the time frame was...

yes, having money buys you privelages.

And to address this, if it is true, he's doing nothing wrong. If that's the law...that's the law. If you have the money to buy a new car every month then fine. I used to sell Lexus's and new lexus can not be imported into Canada but used ones can be all day long. A Lexus option for option is about 10,000 more expensive in Canada. I used to have a list of customers that would buy a new RX from me monthly. We would charge them 500 each month plus their trade in. Essentially the customer would pay 500 a month to continually have a new car. We then sold those RX's into Canada for 4000 to 5000 over original sticker price. We made a killing and the Canadian customers still saved thousands. This wasn't illegal so why would what Jobs did (if true) mean anything?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,875
    for fucks sakes, take this shit to AMT.

If I were the prosecutor , I would have charged him with anything I could think of. Attempted murder, reckless endangerment,

but alas, this happened in a whole OTHER country.

see with that kind of money he coul dhave paid for a closed course or even had the cops shut down an area while he got his jollies. but no, lets put the public at risk.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:

If I were the prosecutor , I would have charged him with anything I could think of. Attempted murder, reckless endangerment,

see with that kind of money he coul dhave paid for a closed course or even had the cops shut down an area while he got his jollies. but no, lets put the public at risk.

I agree with you. But the penalty should be the same for everyone. Just becasue he's a millionaire driving some exotic sports car deosn't mean the penalty should be any different than the unemployed guy driving an 81 caprice classic.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    DS1119 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

I agree with you. But the penalty should be the same for everyone. Just becasue he's a millionaire driving some exotic sports car deosn't mean the penalty should be any different than the unemployed guy driving an 81 caprice classic.

I don't know enough about this situation to have a solid opinion, but I wanted to make a point that hasn't been made yet. Or at least it hasn't been made strongly.

The financial penalty is there to deter someone from speeding. For example the $150.00 fine I might get for going over the speed limit is a factor in stopping me from speeding, and the $1000.00 fine for grossly speeding, really deters people from speeding at a high rate.

But not this guy. He wipes his ass with 1000.00 bills. So the idea of raising the penalty might have the same effect as the smaller price I would pay.

Now this is not necessarily fair, UNLESS, it was posted and promoted as the law. If that was the case then it's fair game.

The penalty was there and each person has the choice to break the law and get penalized based on their net worth.

Then the answer might me DON'T SPEED.

If that was the case then the law might be a good one. It stops everyone from speeding for fear of a monetary penalty that hurts their wallets.

Just some thoughts. I don't think it is a penalty on rich for being rich, it is a real attempt to stop people from speeding.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Or perhaps the better choice would be to take away someones license for a long amount of time, or perhaps a jail sentence.

Those two things should deter either a rich or poor man equally?

Yeah. That does seem better.
    Wilds wrote:
    Or perhaps the better choice would be to take away someones license for a long amount of time, or perhaps a jail sentence.

Those two things should deter either a rich or poor man equally?

Yeah. That does seem better.

ANd that's how it is in this country. You start legislating laws and penalties based on someone's income level...that's a scary path to go down in my opinion.
    so everyone should pay the same in taxes?

what about vehicle regestration....joe blow can afford a 100K car and pays 1000 to register it, while billy bob has a 5K car and pays 50

numbes might be off, but that happens in a number of states

and lets talk property taxes....why do i have to pay more than the guy down the street for schools. he has 5 kids, i have none, but i pay more.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    so everyone should pay the same in taxes?

what about vehicle regestration....joe blow can afford a 100K car and pays 1000 to register it, while billy bob has a 5K car and pays 50

numbes might be off, but that happens in a number of states

and lets talk property taxes....why do i have to pay more than the guy down the street for schools. he has 5 kids, i have none, but i pay more.

You earn more money...you pay more taxes. I am in favor of a flat tax but that's a separate issue. You have an issue with property taxes or registration fees you lobby your government for change.

Two people get accused and convicted of the same violation...economic standing should have no place in what your penalty is.
    and those people could vote something else too. :lol:

they seem to be ok with it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    and those people could vote something else too. :lol:

they seem to be ok with it. :lol:

They might but that shit wouldn't fly here. :nono:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I found the same story being reported in August of 2010 ... kinda have to wonder how true it is.

Here is the states, I'm pretty sure you would lose your license for a year, be subjected to large fines (probably at least $10K), and possible jail time or community service.

Anyway, I think the Swedish system is nuts and they should be back to what they are good at ... producing hot blondes and hockey players. ;)
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Jason P wrote:
    I found the same story being reported in August of 2010 ... kinda have to wonder how true it is.

Here is the states, I'm pretty sure you would lose your license for a year, be subjected to large fines (probably at least $10K), and possible jail time or community service.

Anyway, I think the Swedish system is nuts and they should be back to what they are good at ... producing hot blondes and hockey players. ;)
    Swiss. It's the driver who was Swedish.

And what do you mean you found the same story reported in August of 2010? That's when the article you posted was written. Look at the URL: 0-60mag.com/news/2010/08/the-million-dollar-speeding-ticket/
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    JTH wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Swiss. It's the driver who was Swedish.

And what do you mean you found the same story reported in August of 2010? That's when the article you posted was written. Look at the URL: 0-60mag.com/news/2010/08/the-million-dollar-speeding-ticket/
    Oops! Well, then they need to get back to making cuckoo clocks and watches. Swede / swiss ... it's all Greek to me. :mrgreen:

Don't they have the autobahn in Switzerland anyway?

In regards to the story, it came up yesterday on Yahoo so I treated it as a current event.