$1,000,000 Speeding Ticket!

Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
edited June 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Yes, you read that right.

Scrape your jaw off the floor, folks. No, that’s not a typo: a Swedish man behind the wheel of a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG was slapped with more than $1 million in fines after being nabbed doing about 180 miles per hour on a Swiss road.

The 37-year-old Swede, Mikael Blomkvist whose name was not given, also suffered the confiscation of his new Benz by the police in addition to the world’s heftiest speeding fine. He managed to escape earlier detection because many of the Swiss traffic cameras are incapable of detecting vehicles traveling more than 125 mph; it was only when he shot past a newer radar that could register his speed that he was picked up.

But if you’re worried about losing your life savings for getting caught doing ten over in Switzerland, fear not—the Swiss determine fines based on the driver’s income as well as the speed of the car. Justice for the poor!

http://www.0-60mag.com/news/2010/08/the-million-dollar-speeding-ticket/

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    And the guy didn't even hit the speed limiter that's set for 197 mph.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if lisbeth is on his side ... he'll be out and reunited with his car by the evening news ...
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Fines based on income? Wow. That's fair. :roll:
    DS1119 wrote:
    There must be some crazy multiplier and this guy was the first to test out what happens when you hit 180 in one of the finest production cars in the world. I'm guessing he also has enough money to fight this in the courts.

By the way, going 180 mph in this car is the safety equivalent of going 85 mph in most pickups from the 80's ... at least to the occupants in the vehicles.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Well, apparently he can afford it...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    DS1119 wrote:
    if you think about it, it kinda is.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    if lisbeth is on his side ... he'll be out and reunited with his car by the evening news ...

:lol::lol:
    That is what I immediately thought -- this is the guy from the Dragon Tattoo Books? He is loaded, no problem!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Picture of said violator's car ...

thumbnail.aspx?q=4655603423511321&id=0863d436ecb493bb621f34a3d7987729

love0010.gif
    JTH wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Really? So a guy going 150 mph who makes 50K a year should pay less than a guy making 2,000,000 a year going 90mph? Makes perfect sense. Equal crime=equal penalty. :roll:
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    DS1119 wrote:
    It might be a bit more effective way of handing out tickets. Do you honestly think he would care if he got slapped with a ticket under a thousand?
    DS1119 wrote:
    It might be a bit more effective way of handing out tickets. Do you honestly think he would care if he got slapped with a ticket under a thousand?

All I'm saying is lets say his mechanic was driving the car at the same speed? Wh yshould he pay less than the owner based on income?

Maybe everything should be income based now? We can implant microchips in our wrists and when you walk into a store/restaurant/bar/car dealership the prices of each item are adjusted by how successful you are. Makes perfect sense.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DS1119 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Really? So a guy going 150 mph who makes 50K a year should pay less than a guy making 2,000,000 a year going 90mph? Makes perfect sense. Equal crime=equal penalty. :roll:

lets say it should be 0.05% of salary regardless of income...you could make a case that this is fair
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    lets say it should be 0.05% of salary regardless of income...you could make a case that this is fair

I really don't give a shit about formulas involving salaries/income for any crime/infraction. You do something your society deems as wrong everyone pays the same price/fine.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

All I'm saying is lets say his mechanic was driving the car at the same speed? Wh yshould he pay less than the owner based on income?

Maybe everything should be income based now? We can implant microchips in our wrists and when you walk into a store/restaurant/bar/car dealership the prices of each item are adjusted by how successful you are. Makes perfect sense.
    Because with this method even though the mechanic pays less it still affects him just as much. Dollar figure wise there's a huge difference, but if you look at it as a percentage of his income for the year it's probably about the same. Is it fair, no. Is the guy with a million dollar ticket now less likely to speed down a road with traffic cameras, possibly. The guy was going a ridiculous amount over the speed limit and obliviously he didn't care, maybe he will now.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    DS1119 wrote:

DS1119 wrote:

Because with this method even though the mechanic pays less it still affects him just as much. Dollar figure wise there's a huge difference, but if you look at it as a percentage of his income for the year it's probably about the same. Is it fair, no. Is the guy with a million dollar ticket now less likely to speed down a road with traffic cameras, possibly. The guy was going a ridiculous amount over the speed limit and obliviously he didn't care, maybe he will now.

I'm SURE this ticket has gotten his attention and MAY cause him to think twice about traveling that speed in the future.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

So maybe a guy who murders his wife and make 5,000,000 a year should get 40 years in prison and a guy who murders his wife but makes minimum wage should get 2 years? To take it to a less extreme scale maybe a 10c member here who is succesfful should pay 1000 for a PJ ticket where a struggling college student should pay 12? Both would "impact" them just the same. Makes perfect sense. :roll: Society always wants to blame/punish/tax the affluent. The better you do, the more the bottom feeders want to take. My opinion will always be equal crime=equal time.
    you don't think the rich get breaks in the US. :lol:

equal crime, equal time....my ass
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

So me and you are driving to Montana and we are in a caravan. You're following me and we are going the same exact speed. Both of us are pulled over. Why should you or me pay a different fine based on income?
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

So me and you are driving to Montana and we are in a caravan. You're following me and we are going the same exact speed. Both of us are pulled over. Why should you or me pay a different fine based on income?

first, you wouldn't be driving across MT....

second, you missed the point....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    but lets play that game...

and say i'm rich rich rich...

and i speed everywhere, because a couple of $'s just doesn't bother me....i also don't worry about insurance rates, because i'm self insured.

you are a poor slob....that can barely buy gas. so you have to drive the speed limit, because you can't afford to get pulled over without insurance....

yup...the rich guy benifits.

i dunno..i sort of like the sliding scale fine system.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    first, you wouldn't be driving across MT....

second, you missed the point....

No I didn't miss your point. I think you missed mine. Involving people's incomes in simple traffic infractions is just so fundamaentaly wrong and opens the door for so many other things.

People being able to hire better lawyers, have contacts, etc. is an entirley different issue than this.

You speed...you pay the fine. Everyone pays the same fine. No big governement trying to determine "what will teach someone a lesson" based on their economic status. That's straight up BS right there.
    81 wrote:
    but lets play that game...

and say i'm rich rich rich...

and i speed everywhere, because a couple of $'s just doesn't bother me....i also don't worry about insurance rates, because i'm self insured.

you are a poor slob....that can barely buy gas. so you have to drive the speed limit, because you can't afford to get pulled over without insurance....

yup...the rich guy benifits.

i dunno..i sort of like the sliding scale fine system.

You also get caught speeding enough and eventually your license accumulates enough points that it's revoked. Very fair system for all those who drive.

No different than using the same two people in your example going to the mall. The rich guy can buy whatever he wants. The poor slob can't. Maybe the prices at the stores should be put on a sliding scale so they both can equally buy the same products? That's fair right? :roll:
    DS1119 wrote:
    JTH wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Really?
    Yes. Really.
    DS1119 wrote:
    So a guy going 150 mph who makes 50K a year should pay less than a guy making 2,000,000 a year going 90mph? Makes perfect sense.
    Maybe the actual amount would be higher, but proportionally speaking, the guy making $2 million a year should pay less since his infraction was not as severe.

If you can afford to wipe your ass with hundred dollar bills (as this guy apparently can), a $5,000 fine (as an example) is basically meaningless.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Equal crime=equal penalty. :roll:
    Oh, wait. You used an EYEROLL EMOTICON. I didn't notice that at first. That completely validates your position.
    JTH wrote:
    If you can afford to wipe your ass with hundred dollar bills (as this guy apparently can), a $5,000 fine (as an example) is basically meaningless.

So a guy that wipes his ass with hundred dollar bills should pay a bigger fine than someone who may have never even seen a hundred dollar bill? That's fair. I'll never own a 50 million dollar mansion in the Hollywood Hills either. Maybe they should lower the prices of those homes on a sliding scale for me then. Perhaps we should all be paid the same income despite efforts in the workplace and we can turn the entire world into a commune.

Blaming/taxing/over fining the affluent is a major cop out in this world. When shit doesn't roll or go the less affluents way all they do is blame the rich.

The guy driving 180 mph no matter of his social status is irrelevant of what danger they pose to society.
    DS1119 wrote:
    JTH wrote:

So a guy that wipes his ass with hundred dollar bills should pay a bigger fine than someone who may have never even seen a hundred dollar bill? That's fair. I'll never own a 50 million dollar mansion in the Hollywood Hills either. Maybe they should lower the prices of those homes on a sliding scale for me then. Perhaps we should all be paid the same income despite efforts in the workplace and we can turn the entire world into a commune.

Blaming/taxing/over fining the affluent is a major cop out in this world. When shit doesn't roll or go the less affluents way all they do is blame the rich.

The guy driving 180 mph no matter of his social status is irrelevant of what danger they pose to society.
    This is a serious apples/oranges comparison. And really, pretty much all of your analogies are way off-base.

We're talking about someone who's being punished for breaking the law. I really don't see what that has to do with access to affordable over-the-top luxury.

Whatever. I think the Swiss system i's fair. You don't. I guess we'll leave it at that.
    JTH wrote:
    This is a serious apples/oranges comparison. And really, pretty much all of your analogies are way off-base.

We're talking about someone who's being punished for breaking the law. I really don't see what that has to do with access to affordable over-the-top luxury.

Whatever. I think the Swiss system i's fair. You don't. I guess we'll leave it at that.

Ok. We will leave it to an analogy just based on law beaking. A street corner drug dealer shoots a prostitue in the head over a dime bag dispute. On the other hand a multi millionaire shoots someone in cold blood over a business deal gone bad. I guess the millionaire should be punished worse than the street level guy correct? I mean he has more money so obviosuly his crime must be worse. He has more money so obviously his debt to society should be bigger, correct?

Plus I would venture a guess and say you think it's fair becasue it doesn't impact you. I'd love to see people's reactions to this policy in the US if you found out your neighbor paid less of a fine than you did after committing the same traffic infraction.
    In america, the more cash you have, the less crime you can be convicted of
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Not true. The more cash you have may allow for better court advocates and counseling of the law but everyone has an equal chance of being convicted of a crime. Again, this has zero to do with the principle of someone paying a heavier fine for the same offense based on income.
    DS1119 wrote:
    JTH wrote:

Ok. We will leave it to an analogy just based on law beaking. A street corner drug dealer shoots a prostitue in the head over a dime bag dispute. On the other hand a multi millionaire shoots someone in cold blood over a business deal gone bad. I guess the millionaire should be punished worse than the street level guy correct? I mean he has more money so obviosuly his crime must be worse. He has more money so obviously his debt to society should be bigger, correct?

Plus I would venture a guess and say you think it's fair becasue it doesn't impact you. I'd love to see people's reactions to this policy in the US if you found out your neighbor paid less of a fine than you did after committing the same traffic infraction.
    No.
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Not true. The more cash you have may allow for better court advocates and counseling of the law but everyone has an equal chance of being convicted of a crime. Again, this has zero to do with the principle of someone paying a heavier fine for the same offense based on income.

you really should get out more if you believe cash doesn't buy preferiential treatment in the united states
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg