Video Games

peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I don't see a thread for this here

I would have to say my favorite video game ever is Super Mario 64 with Halo a close second... I remember my first X-Box and Playstation! :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I remember my first NES, Genesis, Game Gear, Saturn, PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, VIta...

Good times!
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    mca47 wrote:
    I remember my first NES, Genesis, Game Gear, Saturn, PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, VIta...

Good times!

Damn, those must have been the days... You lucky sucker! :D
  • mskillmskill Posts: 16
    For Me, I grew up with the Nintendo 64.
    I'll never forget Goldeneye, Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask & Pokemon Blue Version for Gameboy Color.
    mskill wrote:
    For Me, I grew up with the Nintendo 64.
    I'll never forget Goldeneye, Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask & Pokemon Blue Version for Gameboy Color.

Yeah, I hung out with a friend a lot and we played his N64. Goldeneye and The World is Not Enough were awesome. :D

I had Blue and Yellow for my Gameboy Color
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    There is a video game thread, although I havent seen it in awhile.

As far as the classics: Tecmo Super Bowl, ToeJam & Earl, Battletoads, and Ice Hockey (NES) all are timeless in replayability, fun, and challenge.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Intellivision was my first system...

Football was the best...

But those plastic key pad guides were annoying...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I've had NES, SNES, Saturn, N64 PS2 and played alot of Sega Genesis and PS

NES-Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Contra(^^vv<<>>ababselect,start), Baseball Stars>>greatest baseball game ever created, Gyromite, Tecmo Super Bowl
    SNES-self certified master of Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda
    Genesis-NBA Jam and the early NBA games, this was the first system with reasonably decent basketball and football games
    Saturn-Bug! and I was all about the Virtua Fighter games
    PS2-Knockout Kings, but a massive thumb blister and my friends learning to defend..Still up for some 2 player Lord of the Rings action, Tiger Woods PGA from probably 07
    N64-saved this for last..has my 2 favorite games of all time>>Ocarina of Time-just epic, still play through this from time to time Wrestlemania 2000 made for some great battles with friends, create-a-wrestler was just amazing
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Dr. J vs. Larry Bird, One-on-One!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6LW03WRF7xQKjKoztQe9s0-Vg66lEVv3DxqvALW35xC8NfI2X
    agreed on Baseball Stars.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    it's "the video game thread". I'd post a link if I knew how to.

It's never a bad thing to have several threads.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Baseball Stars>>greatest baseball game ever created,
    Except when the battery would reset your save file. :evil: :evil: :evil:
    edited June 2012
    Agreed on the battery too... Nothing was worse than seeing half the menu options blanked out, which meant there were no user made teams that exist.
    I have an emulator on my smartphone. I built a great squad. There are no battery issues and you can even save in-game.

I play a lot of Tecmo seasons. It is tough. I am usually the crappiest teams on there and I havent won the Super Bowl yet.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on

Football was the best...

My friend had one. Remember playing Bump-in-Jump, Happy Trails, Burger Time and Lock-in-Chase. I agree that they had the worst controllers ever, even worse then the Atari 7800.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Agreed on the battery too...
    I have an emulator on my smartphone. I built a great squad. There are no battery issues and you can even save in-game.

I play a lot of Tecmo seasons. It is tough. I am usually the crappiest teams on there and I havent won the Super Bowl yet.
    You can play Baseball Stars on a smart phone???
    Yes. There are numerous NES and Sega Emulators. It took a few tries, but I got one for like $2 that works great. The touchscreen becomes the controller, you see a faded A and B buttons and the directional pad.

You just drag the Roms into your phone from a CPU and you are all set. I also found an app that gets the ROMS for you, but I have trouble keeping them in the file my Emulator looks at for games.

Some games are tough to play, that require precision and fast moving coordination. Baseball Stars, Tecmo, Toejam & Earl, Paperboy work great.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Jason P wrote:

Football was the best...

My friend had one. Remember playing Bump-in-Jump, Happy Trails, Burger Time and Lock-in-Chase. I agree that they had the worst controllers ever, even worse then the Atari 7800.
    holy shit! I hadn't thought of bump n jump in YEARS! I had that game....my neighbours had Burger Time, loved that one. Mine came with Astrosmash and Poker/Blackjack (great for the kids!)...There were some really dumb games...Frog Bog comes to mind. I had Snafu too.....The hockey was awesome. But ya, the baseball, having to select players on the keypad thing, it never worked well....
    I think my parents paid like $300 for that thing in the early 80's...crazy. Remember going downstairs and it was there, hooked up and ready to play on christmas morning, then having to bitch at my dad for a turn to play it :lol:
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Jason P wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Yep...Didn't you press the reset and power button at the same time for the saveable games? Crazy story regarding that...

Several years after Legend of Zelda for NES came out I decided that I never officially beat it all the way through..I'd turned Ganon to red dust, but some older cousins had done alot of the quest. NES games were fucking hard and I finally made it through the final dungeon and had a couple potions ready to rock, right...Well, a friend decided to try his hand at some real Robin Hood shit with a nerf bow and arrow. He let one fly and I'll be damned if it didn't directly blast the power button, while I was in the room sluggin it out with Ganon. I waited awhile to avoid anything that could be construed as rapidly turning the game on and off, turned the game on and it was freakin completely wiped. I still haven't beat it or let him forget about it.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    My first system was an Atari, (Can't remember the exact models) then of course came NES, GameBoy, GameGear (I had everything for that, TV Tuner,tons of games etc all from Japan), SNES and then came CD based games/systems.

In 1993/94 I picked up a Panasonic 3DO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_3DO really was a top system, a powerful machine that set the stage for PlayStation.

PS2 was my next console and now I'm running the PS3. Both of which have broken down and were/have been replaced/repaired. (But all my systems from the 80's and 90's remain working with no tech issues)
    DewieCox wrote:
    Several years after Legend of Zelda for NES came out I decided that I never officially beat it all the way through..I'd turned Ganon to red dust, but some older cousins had done alot of the quest. NES games were fucking hard and I finally made it through the final dungeon and had a couple potions ready to rock, right...Well, a friend decided to try his hand at some real Robin Hood shit with a nerf bow and arrow. He let one fly and I'll be damned if it didn't directly blast the power button, while I was in the room sluggin it out with Ganon. I waited awhile to avoid anything that could be construed as rapidly turning the game on and off, turned the game on and it was freakin completely wiped. I still haven't beat it or let him forget about it.
    That is a tough beat.

My biggest screw-up was in Oblivion when I told a key character, Jauffre, to wait somewhere about 16 hours into the game. 200 hours later, after beating all the sidequests, I go to solve the main quest and find out he is required to get past a check-point ... and I can't remember where I told him to wait! I probably spent 20 hours searching every town, basement, attic, and cave and could not find him. Ended up starting a new game and plowing through the main quest.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Double dribble.

Blades of steel

Skate or die.

Classics!,,,,
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Yes. There are numerous NES and Sega Emulators.

When I worked at Electronic Arts as a game tester the first thing they had us test was Madden 07 for the Wii. The funny thing was the Wii wasn't even out or ready for testing. We had to use an emulator, program files and a DOS based program to run the game.

I was hired through a temp agency with 50 other people. We were supposed to be there for only a month to push madden, nfs, etc. More than half got let go after that month, I thought I was going to be one of them because I accidentally deleted the newer game files needed to be copied from the manager's root folder. Luckily he had a back up. I ended up staying there for a year. I worked on NHL 08 and found over 100 Severity A bugs which are mostly crashes and hangs.

I was finally let go because my managers didn't like my sense of humor. A lot of the other testers were shocked and sad I was gone because I found so many weird bugs that nobody would think to do. I found a crash on Madden where I went into player appearance, put an afro haircut on a white player, saved it and it crashed. :lol:

And this was the other video game thread. Last post was about 5 days ago, dimitris bumps so many threads every day that it drops off the front page fast. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=137383
    MayDay10 wrote:

As far as the classics: Tecmo Super Bowl, ToeJam & Earl, Battletoads, and Ice Hockey (NES) all are timeless in replayability, fun, and challenge.

I searched and couldn't find it. If you are able to resurrect the old one let me know!
    Check this out! Anyone played it? It's sooo fun!

http://www.amazon.com/Takin-It-The-Hoop ... B000WL1S3U
    voidofman wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Yes. There are numerous NES and Sega Emulators.

When I worked at Electronic Arts as a game tester the first thing they had us test was Madden 07 for the Wii. The funny thing was the Wii wasn't even out or ready for testing. We had to use an emulator, program files and a DOS based program to run the game.

I was hired through a temp agency with 50 other people. We were supposed to be there for only a month to push madden, nfs, etc. More than half got let go after that month, I thought I was going to be one of them because I accidentally deleted the newer game files needed to be copied from the manager's root folder. Luckily he had a back up. I ended up staying there for a year. I worked on NHL 08 and found over 100 Severity A bugs which are mostly crashes and hangs.

I was finally let go because my managers didn't like my sense of humor. A lot of the other testers were shocked and sad I was gone because I found so many weird bugs that nobody would think to do. I found a crash on Madden where I went into player appearance, put an afro haircut on a white player, saved it and it crashed. :lol:

And this was the other video game thread. Last post was about 5 days ago, dimitris bumps so many threads every day that it drops off the front page fast. :mrgreen:

Thanks! Cool story! I'll bump the other one
    DewieCox wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Yep...Didn't you press the reset and power button at the same time for the saveable games? Crazy story regarding that...

Yes, NES games are super fucking hard
    I still consider beating Bionic Commando as one of my greatest gaming achievements ... along with kicking Mike Tyson's ass. 8-)
    Jason P wrote:
    I still consider beating Bionic Commando as one of my greatest gaming achievements ... along with kicking Mike Tyson's ass. 8-)

Woot_Emoticon.gif:clap:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773

did you use the search feature? ;):lol:

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

did you use the search feature? ;):lol:

Yes
    Civ 5 expansion pack "Gods and Kings" was just released. It appears it has addressed quite a few issues in the game and made vast improvements.

I have Civ 5 but have yet to play it because it reminded me how awesome Civ 4 is and I just started playing it instead.