Options

Better Things/Devil Doll - 2011 Tenclub Single

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Stoffel79Stoffel79 Posts: 2
    thanks for putting this link up, i wouldn't have had any idea they already released this. kinda stumbled upon this by accident, cause i was looking what the tenclub shirt for this year looked like(anyone have a link to that cause i didn't find it).
    good to see its not a live song this year. but would be nice they would email these updates, it's not like i always look on the boards here. also saw i got another download code, anyone know a good bootleg to download?
  • Options
    BH198990BH198990 Posts: 174
    Stoffel79 wrote:
    thanks for putting this link up, i wouldn't have had any idea they already released this. kinda stumbled upon this by accident..

Same here!! Thanks for the link, OP, sorta wish the 10C had sent a tiny little email out or something.

Both songs are good....Not being a huge X fan, i was suprised how much Billy Zoom i hear in McCready's playing. I thought it was definitely McCready playing before i checked the album artwork. wow.

cheers
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    PJKnopf wrote:
    Hi all,

any chance of a high quality artwork scan?

Thank you!

if you browse the pages of this thread you will be able to watch screen captures of the info attached to the MP3, but quality and size will vary according the media program you chose to play the songs, I use VLC Media Player, don't know which version is, it isn't the last one, and in full screen mode, pics are awesome...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    Stoffel79 wrote:
    thanks for putting this link up, i wouldn't have had any idea they already released this. kinda stumbled upon this by accident, cause i was looking what the tenclub shirt for this year looked like(anyone have a link to that cause i didn't find it).
    good to see its not a live song this year. but would be nice they would email these updates, it's not like i always look on the boards here. also saw i got another download code, anyone know a good bootleg to download?
    There is no T-shirt this year.
    I've been recommending the vault #2 Vic Theatre boot, because I got it and love it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,770
    RIP the vinyl?

If you're a digital member
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    this single sucks --- ed's last solo song sucked and ole really sucked --- which means they are due! haha the new album is going to be amazing!!!!!!
  • Options
    this single sucks --- ed's last solo song sucked and ole really sucked --- which means they are due! haha the new album is going to be amazing!!!!!!
    Yeah, I agree. Better Things bites the big one. I hate it. It sounds like a TV theme song. I think Devil Doll is pretty okay, so that's fine. But you're right Ole is godawful as well... Christ I hope Better Things and Ole aren't reflective of anything on the new album. What was "Ed's last solo song"? Not sure what you're referring to. Skipping? ... I really like Skipping. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Yeah, I agree. Better Things bites the big one. I hate it. It sounds like a TV theme song. I think Devil Doll is pretty okay, so that's fine. But you're right Ole is godawful as well... Christ I hope Better Things and Ole aren't reflective of anything on the new album. What was "Ed's last solo song"? Not sure what you're referring to. Skipping? ... I really like Skipping. :)
    yeah - skipping .... it might be okay - it wasn't for me. that fine line between staying positive and realism was attempting to be balanced in my previous post ....... i'm sure everything will be okay
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    Amsterdam Night 1 - we got both songs from the Xmas single.

Ed joined X at the end for "Devil Doll"
    And "Better things" was played during the PJ set - Dedicated to all of their kids that were present that night.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    Devil Doll Video up in the Media section.
    2010 - Boston
    2011 - Alpine 1 & 2 --- EV - Providence & Boston - Tres Mts - Boston
    2012 - Missoula
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Worcester 1 & 2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    2014 - Detroit, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016 - Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, New York City 1, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Just downloaded these songs yesterday. Really digging on both!!

Merry Christmas in July!! :thumbup:
  • Options
    both tunes are great! was a good boost to hot summer afternoon.
    "Can't fuckin' Twitter, hate that shit" - EV
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

I don't understand all of the hate for Ole really. From a musician's point of view, it's not THAT bad of a song; reminds me of 'Save You' a bit, especially Jeff's bass line. Matt's signature odd-time drumming in the bridge is cool. The lyrics, at least the ones I can make out, aren't that bad - although perhaps if the word "Ole" was left out completely, it might be more deep and introspective - leaving the "What ya gonna say when your life ends?" question unanswered...

I have to admit though, whenever I hear the "Meditate, Ole!" part, it always makes me think of that INXS video:

mediate.jpg

:lol:
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options

I don't understand all of the hate for Ole really. From a musician's point of view, it's not THAT bad of a song; reminds me of 'Save You' a bit, especially Jeff's bass line. Matt's signature odd-time drumming in the bridge is cool. The lyrics, at least the ones I can make out, aren't that bad - although perhaps if the word "Ole" was left out completely, it might be more deep and introspective - leaving the "What ya gonna say when your life ends?" question unanswered...

I have to admit though, whenever I hear the "Meditate, Ole!" part, it always makes me think of that INXS video:

mediate.jpg

For me it's more about the dumb lyrics than it is about the musicality (which isn't very good either). Ole!!!! Ole!!!! ... ??? Why is he yelling Ole over and over?? It's just sounds so stupid. :lol: IMHO of course.
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    PJ_Soul wrote:

mediate.jpg

For me it's more about the dumb lyrics than it is about the musicality (which isn't very good either). Ole!!!! Ole!!!! ... ??? Why is he yelling Ole over and over?? It's just sounds stupid. :lol: IMHO of course.

That's cool - to each his own. It's nowhere near my favorites, but the musicality, which might not be "very good" has it's moments - primarily Mike in the bridge/solo. It does kind of fit in with the simplicity of Backspacer, and even though it's "new", I'm guessing it was probably something that has its roots from those sessions. I do agree though that use of the word "Ole" itself is kind of odd.

But at least the band has something they can license to a Tostito's commercial if the need ever arises... :lol:OLE!
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    BerasapjBerasapj Posts: 292
    Has anyone received the vinyl and the magazine?
    Manchester 1&2 2012

Waiting for the next PJ euro Tour

Hoping not to get drown in the wave of life
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Berasapj wrote:
    Has anyone received the vinyl and the magazine?

Don't think they have started shipping yet
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    Are we sure the magazine is coming out at the same time? It wasn't available for download, was it? I don't think it always comes at the same time as the single.