Comic books

faceinthecloudsfaceintheclouds Posts: 1,739
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else read them? My oldest son is 7 and I got him into super heroes at a young age. He knows guys most people have never heard of. Kinda like No Code is to the casual fan. So recently I picked up a deadpool comic. I was instantly hooked. He is a great read. He's called the merc with a mouth. He is similar to wolverine in his abilities, he can heal himself and is ruthless as they come. He was actually in X-Men origins Wolverine. He was the guy at the end wolverine fights.
I also have been reading a new series that's been years in the making. Avengers vs. X-Men. It's insane. I have 2 different Hulk series going and a spiderman one as well. Oh and a Dark Knight one too. It's kinda wired I've always been a fan of the DC characters, even as a kid. But I'm partial to marvel more so now.
Anyone else read em?
Just, not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I said, I dont want it.
I just need it.
To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I'm a pretty big fan of comics. Right now I'm taking a break from them so I can read all the latest arcs without having to wait and see what happens next. There are a bunch of fans on the forums; check out viewtopic.php?f=14&t=183479 for some discussion.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    there was a pinnacle in the early 90's, pretty much down hill since, indie comics have take the torch now.
  • PearljamalPearljamal Posts: 19
    I've read dark knight by frank miller, miller is a conservative nut but it could be the best batman story of all time. I hear xmen vs avengers is great, try house of M from a few years back by Michael bendis, he wrote a brilliant run of daredevil books after Kevin smith restarted the character a few years ago (also a brilliant book).
  • faceinthecloudsfaceintheclouds Posts: 1,739
    Pearljamal wrote:
    I've read dark knight by frank miller, miller is a conservative nut but it could be the best batman story of all time. I hear xmen vs avengers is great, try house of M from a few years back by Michael bendis, he wrote a brilliant run of daredevil books after Kevin smith restarted the character a few years ago (also a brilliant book).
    Ya they say the new daredevil is a good read.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    The new catwoman series is probably the best thing ive read in awhile.
    the amazing spiderman stories are really good but the endings have been a huge let down, spider island and now ends of the earth.
    batman isnt too shabby either but i cant stand the art in it, great story though. the other batman titles are good too except batman and robin, his son is such a punk, ive never wanted robin to die more than i do with his son as robin.

and yes deadpool is cool, was kinda hoping he would die but like always marvel never follows through with their teasers.
    the amazing spiderman stories are really good but the endings have been a huge let down, spider island and now ends of the earth.
    batman isnt too shabby either but i cant stand the art in it, great story though. the other batman titles are good too except batman and robin, his son is such a punk, ive never wanted robin to die more than i do with his son as robin.

and yes deadpool is cool, was kinda hoping he would die but like always marvel never follows through with their teasers.
    Ya but he's lost his healing factor now so who knows.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • HGKHGK Posts: 94
    I started collecting comics again about a year ago with the relaunch of the DC 52. They restarted all of their series so new and old readers did not have to play catch up. Marvel did something similar by releasing books numbered .5. Company wide cross overs and endless guest starring was on of the reasons I stopped, not to mention the rising costs (I remember when they cost $.60!, now I buy them for $3.99) Honestly, I look so foward to Wednesday, becuase it is new comic day. Marvel's Avengers vs X men is a great story that can be read just within the mini series but they have crossovers that are not needed to understand the story but they go in deeper details. Valiant comics relauched recently with titles they produced in the 1990s.
    I change by not changing
    HGK wrote:
    I started collecting comics again about a year ago with the relaunch of the DC 52. They restarted all of their series so new and old readers did not have to play catch up. Marvel did something similar by releasing books numbered .5. Company wide cross overs and endless guest starring was on of the reasons I stopped, not to mention the rising costs (I remember when they cost $.60!, now I buy them for $3.99) Honestly, I look so foward to Wednesday, becuase it is new comic day. Marvel's Avengers vs X men is a great story that can be read just within the mini series but they have crossovers that are not needed to understand the story but they go in deeper details. Valiant comics relauched recently with titles they produced in the 1990s.
    I really like the avengers vs x-men. Also diggin the AR app too. Your comics pretty much come to life if you have it. It's a pretty sweet idea.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
  • HGKHGK Posts: 94
    HGK wrote:
    I really like the avengers vs x-men. Also diggin the AR app too. Your comics pretty much come to life if you have it. It's a pretty sweet idea.
    Call me old fashion but I like the feel of the book :lol:
    I change by not changing

Ya but he's lost his healing factor now so who knows.

And he will probably get it back. Dont get me wrong Deadpool is one of my favorite comic book characters but the whole lead into the death of Deadpool and it ends with him super-handsome minus his healing factor was a cheap trick by Marvel.
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Pearljamal wrote:
    I've read dark knight by frank miller, miller is a conservative nut but it could be the best batman story of all time.

My vote goes to The Long Halloween. I loved the hell out of that book.

Does anybody plan on reading the new Watchmen run? I know most comic fans are against the book but I'm going to give them a try.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i like conan the barbarian comics. frickin nice artwork, badass swamps, giant snakes, sea serpents & female slaves conan saves/defends from evil monsters. i used to send two of my nephews these comic books. it was a lot of fun.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    edited June 2012
    I have hundreds.... Yep hundreds, boxes upon boxes ... of comics, mostly from the 90's, that were left by a family member who passed.
    Superman, Superboy, Superwoman, Batman, Green Lantern, Sabrina, Barbie, Hagar just to name a few.
    They are all boarded, bagged, and sealed.

I actually want/need to get rid of them in the next few weeks.

PM me if interested.

Everything that is kid appropriate we are donating to youth charities.....
    Now just need to find a home for the darker more adult comics.
    Post edited by bionicamy on
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Pearljamal wrote:
    Ya they say the new daredevil is a good read.
    Yup...Mark Waid's Daredevil is indeed a good read....X-Men vs Avengers, however, is a bloated mess.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    HGK wrote:
    I remember when the cover price was $.20 :-o :-o :-o :-o
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    Does anybody plan on reading the new Watchmen run? I know most comic fans are against the book but I'm going to give them a try.

Have the first issue, havent read it yet. Honestly i dont think its that big of a deal. Comic stories arent sacred in that no one else can touch them. Moore left a whole back story, surprised it took this long for someone else to flesh it out. I think too many people buy into Moore's bloated ego. What if Lee was the only person allowed to write Spiderman, how many awesome stories would have been missed, same with Batman, Conan, etc. Every superhero character for the most part, but for some reason no one is allowed to touch Moore's creations??
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have read many comics in my day.

I am reading China Meiville's Dial H For Hero

that is the only current one i'm following
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270

Have the first issue, havent read it yet. Honestly i dont think its that big of a deal. Comic stories arent sacred in that no one else can touch them. Moore left a whole back story, surprised it took this long for someone else to flesh it out. I think too many people buy into Moore's bloated ego. What if Lee was the only person allowed to write Spiderman, how many awesome stories would have been missed, same with Batman, Conan, etc. Every superhero character for the most part, but for some reason no one is allowed to touch Moore's creations??

I agree 100%.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    I'm still kicking myself in the pants for not getting into the Walking Dead series sooner. Issue #1 just shot up to $750 - and it came out in something like 2003!

I predict the next big thing will be Thief of Thieves, also by Image Comics. It started earlier this year, and #1 is already fetching a pretty penny.
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Weab76Weab76 Posts: 55
    Animal Man, Fatale, Swamp Thing and Thief Of Thieves are all fantastic at the minute
  • belinda27belinda27 Posts: 731
    Prototype, Spawn, Highlander, Road Rage, & The Great and Secret Show. 8-)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think i've decided i don't want to read comic books any more.
    I read graphic novels :D

All i mean is the waiting every month for 30 pages or whatever drives me crazy. I like to sit down and read like ten of them back to back. I think the story flows better. When i was younger i could never wait that long but as i'm not as invested in it now i have no issue waiting for the graphic novel collections to come out
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yes. i am currently reading tom morello's orchid. so far ive read 6 issues. i wonder how many i have left and what will happen.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Chief BroomChief Broom Posts: 2,036
    I have been in and out of comics since the early '90's. Sam Kieth is my favorite. The Maxx was amazing. I like the oddball stuff. ;)
    In terms of recommendations, If you haven't checked out CHEW yet....Do it! :mrgreen:
    It is very well done and is like NOTHING else out there. Trust me, good shit! ;)
    MLMF Det
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    My boyfriend is drawing his own comic at the moment....well has been for a few years. First volume is 104 pages and he's just finishing the inking this week. Next job is for me to perfect the blemishes/lines etc in Photoshop and then we'll add word bubbles. May take it to publishers....may self publish....looking at options now! Been a fun project....and learned so much. :D

He's a huge comic fan and collector....but he's selling about half his collection right now....trying to have babies via ivf....priorities prevail sometimes....especially when he doesn't read them much now. He's kept a few thousand comics....all his favourites. He's more into TPBs now. The thrill of single issues is gone for him. Hard to display/store. He likes the thought of being able to display them in a bookcase/s as he gets older.

As for me, I love Archie comics....much to his absolute disgust! :lol::lol:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    My boyfriend is drawing his own comic at the moment....well has been for a few years. First volume is 104 pages and he's just finishing the inking this week. Next job is for me to perfect the blemishes/lines etc in Photoshop and then we'll add word bubbles. May take it to publishers....may self publish....looking at options now! Been a fun project....and learned so much. :D

He's a huge comic fan and collector....but he's selling about half his collection right now....trying to have babies via ivf....priorities prevail sometimes....especially when he doesn't read them much now. He's kept a few thousand comics....all his favourites. He's more into TPBs now. The thrill of single issues is gone for him. Hard to display/store. He likes the thought of being able to display them in a bookcase/s as he gets older.

whats the story about???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ZiggyStar wrote:

whats the story about???

Man, I hate that question! :lol: I'll send you a copy when it's finished! 8-)

Here's some of his art....tried to show individual comic images but all too big:
    http://www.leighchalker.com/illustrations
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

whats the story about???

Man, I hate that question! :lol: I'll send you a copy when it's finished! 8-)

Here's some of his art....tried to show individual comic images but all too big:
    http://www.leighchalker.com/illustrations

so what youre telling me is you dont know???? ;):lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

FUCK NO!! I've been living this story for 5 years....no, probably more....we know this story so well that we are SICK of it and want it to be finished with! :lol: It's such a good story and complex world that a sentence or two just doesn't capture it so we don't even bother to try. 8-) First 104 page volume is nearly done (artwork)....then he starts on the second (and final) 104 page volume. I guess then he'll branch into side stories. :mrgreen:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

FUCK NO!! I've been living this story for 5 years....no, probably more....we know this story so well that we are SICK of it and want it to be finished with! :lol: It's such a good story and complex world that a sentence or two just doesn't capture it so we don't even bother to try. 8-) First 104 page volume is nearly done (artwork)....then he starts on the second (and final) 104 page volume. I guess then he'll branch into side stories. :mrgreen:

i hate to ask this question... but what genre(ugh :roll: ) are we talking here.... fantasy, super hero, post apocalyptic??? enquriing minds want to know. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say