Marriage proposal idea..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I'm planning on doing it this summer, but don't know how yet.

My best friend is getting married in June and him and his fiancée want me to do it at their reception, have a song played and just me and my lady on the dance floor.

Good or bad idea?

I like the fact that it would be in front of a lot of friends, documented and we'd be dressed up nicely, but also worried it would take away from the specialness of that particular day..

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :?

i would never propose at a wedding reception.....

seems like it would take away from teh wedding....and if something bad goes down in either relationship, you don't want that tainting a wedding day.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    81 wrote:

seems like it would take away from teh wedding....and if something bad goes down in either relationship, you don't want that tainting a wedding day.
    To me it represents all sorts of cheesiness, but I'm out ideas and want to do it soon. Ladies, what do you think?

It's really about what she thinks and wants.. If it were up to me, I'd propose before I leave for work one morning and we'd be married in the chapel of love and it would all be just as meaningful to me. :lol:
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    DONT DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT AT ANOTHER WEDDING!!!!!!

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Maybe if there's an after party, but not at the reception.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    DS1119 wrote:

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!
    Wanna play cards??
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!

+1
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    My best friend is getting married in June and him and his fiancée want me to do it at their reception, have a song played and just me and my lady on the dance floor.
    Propose tomorrow and have a double wedding!! :mrgreen:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    81 wrote:

I agree
    To me it represents all sorts of cheesiness, but I'm out ideas and want to do it soon.

It's not all that difficult. I realize people want a gimmick, or want to do something "original" or whatever, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being traditional about it. You don't need an "idea" or whatever. Just take her out for a romantic evening, and when the time feels right get down on one knee and bust out the ring. Just tell her you love her, you want to spend the rest of your life with her, and bust out the ring. It doesn't have to be some YouTube worthy moment or anything.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Fuck no!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    I proposed to my wife after the Inca Trail at Machu pichu in Peru, it was around 6 am in front of our group, with whom we had spent 5 days trekking. It was perfect and of course she said yes ;) . About 10 mins later one of our group came up to me and said "you totally pissed on my fire man!" "I've been planning to do that for 6 months". I said I was sorry but i had no idea he was planning to do it and hoped he would find another time and place soon... I felt a bit shit but really not that bad, how was I to know!?

5 minutes later the guy pipes up and asks the group to gather round. People are looking at eachother a bit confused, and I am thinking, no man don't do it. He then says "I wanted to do this earlier but Mike beat me to it, so here goes" He then proposed to his very embarrassed looking girlfirend, who said yes.. to this day I am not sure if she meant it and you could see how hard it was for her. She was mortified and looked at us as if to apologise. He really should have waited for another day. People who we spoke to after said it was cringeworthy as the moment had passed, we had taken it, and anybody in their right mind would have thought "fair enough, back to the drawing board"...

Anyway, my point is, doing it during someone elses "moment" will not only take away from theirs, but it will take away form yours. I say this honestly and urge you to choose your own time and place which is special to you and your other half, and only you two..... its all about YOU. No one else.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I wouldn't do it at a wedding. You don't want to overshadow their day. Let it be about them. Do the proposal in whatever setting would be special for her. It doesn't have to be a public proposal if that's not either of your styles. As long as you put a little effort in to make it special and memorable she will love it.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    maybe not a good idea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I can see how your friends would say this wanting to be apart of the moment, a fun thing,
    but with deeper forethought you might want to reconsider.

A marriage proposal is a very special lifetime moment between life mates.
    However you plan this pledge you will make, it is and will be a very precious memory.
    As the years go by it will become even more meaningful.

Me personally would not want or need an audience, it is intimate, never forgotten
    and begins your life together.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!

I agree with Speedy...

hehehehehehe
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Thanks guys. I agree.. Just needed other thoughts. My to be wed friends thought it would be a great idea. I think just taking her out for dinner would be special enough..
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I forgot to say...
    Congratulations! what a happy time in your life!! :D
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Do it in a place with just the two of you... it should mean something to the two of you... Take her to the place your first met, where something significant happened... where it first occured to you that you wanted to marry her...

Doing it in front of everyone is too much pressure especially for her, plus one thing that she will want to do is tell everyone individually right after :lol: ... So you don't want to take that away from her.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    go the Sears tower...and do it on that little see thru observation deck.

done :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Not at another wedding. I would be embarrassed if I was proposed to that way. Make it a moment that is special between the two of you - something you share.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    wait until next tuesday
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    81 wrote:

she might be too freaked out to say yes tho.

i walked past those glass cubes several times last thursday and i just couldnt do it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    81 wrote:

i walked past those glass cubes several times last thursday and i just couldnt do it.
    The marriage proposal or looking down?
    GoiMTvP.gif
    81 wrote:

The marriage proposal or looking down?

i have no trouble looking down and in fact on several occasions had my forehead pressed against the glass.. but just the fact that there were other bodies on the glass made me nervous. if im gonna plunge to my death id rather it not be cause of the weight of others.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i have no trouble looking down and in fact on several occasions had my forehead pressed against the glass.. but just the fact that there were other bodies on the glass made me nervous. if im gonna plunge to my death id rather it not be cause of the weight of others.

did you go to the signature room at the hancock?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

did you go to the signature room at the hancock?

wasnt interested in the hancock. however i have been to john hancocks phallic grave.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    wasnt interested in the hancock. however i have been to john hancocks phallic grave.

next time, you need to go there. great place to have a drink and enjoy the view.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

next time, you need to go there. great place to have a drink and enjoy the view.

i was weighing up between hancock and sears and sears won cause not only is it in my bueller mind but its taller. in this case size really did matter. ;):lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    81 wrote:

i was weighing up between hancock and sears and sears won cause not only is it in my bueller mind but its taller. in this case size really did matter. ;):lol:
    There something growing in NY that might peak your interest ;)
    GoiMTvP.gif