IMac....throw me a tip

pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
:D Having just bought a new Imac, and having never had one, this is an appeal to those who do to throw me a handy tip....about anything at all.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    take it back
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    81 wrote:
    take it back

truely an inspiration arnt you? :lol:
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    pdalowsky wrote:
    :D Having just bought a new Imac, and having never had one, this is an appeal to those who do to throw me a handy tip....about anything at all.....

I love my 27 imac but theres one thing that pisses me off. Try burning a cd, there's a known issue where CDs will get scratched because the housing is razor sharp. Don't bother taking it back to apple use a piece of clear tape and you're good.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    I've had my iMac for over two years now. It started having hardware issues at the 2 year point. Had to replace the hard drive. Now the CD/DVD drive won't read DVDs. Still reads CDs for now. So as great as they run, Macs like all computers aren't impervious to hardware problems. One tip I would give you is up the RAM as high as it will go. Macs usually come with 4gb but they have 3 open slots and you can up it to 16gb. It will send your performance through the roof.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,876
    Neily can tell you what to do when you spill coffee on the keyboard. He'll be here when he finishes his "got a hangover" nap at work. ;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • eyejackereyejacker Posts: 1,282
    I've never owned a Windows PC.
    I've only ever used Macs, since 1998, so if you have any questions/problems you can always send me a PM...
    I'd be glad to help out, if I can!! :)
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    command + Shift + 4 is a screenshot where you select the region of the screen to capture :thumbup:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
    eyejacker wrote:
    I've never owned a Windows PC.
    I've only ever used Macs, since 1998, so if you have any questions/problems you can always send me a PM...
    I'd be glad to help out, if I can!! :)

Two current issues: -

1. Itunes - i have imported my music from my old harddrive to the new one. All seemed fine except I have double the music, I have everything twice....only did this process once but i have two of all my songs. so a 12,000 song library is now a 24000 song one. I have googled this to see how to drop the duplication but seem to understand that this is a manual process :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So I either go through the entire lot and drop each song, or I scrub it and start again? or is there another option? My concern is that if i scrub the library - would i lose my playlists? I have hundreds and they took me months to sort out years ago......I couldnt face doing that again.

2. My photos are imported. What a damn mess. I had them all nicely arranged on my PC. For example a folder for my son Edward, and many sub folders for each year and then sub folders within those sub folders for certain events.

following the import I have just thousands of unorganised events. the import lost all the organisation.

Is there a way of clearing that mess, and reimporting logically? Because im a nerd I have so many folders and sub folders so I could findsay week 5-8 of my sons progress very easily. Now its just all over the place. 21000 photos. jesus :o

Starting to wish I hadnt bothered, although i can see the machine is a dream. The operating system is so differnet to that of a windows pc - its gonna take some adjusting.

Is word for windows worth installing? necessary?

Thanks for any help you can offer :D
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Most important thing to know: Command + R = refresh :mrgreen:

Also, no idea about the file duplication but if you ever want to move your iTunes library to an external harddrive, I followed this and whatever it did worked! http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easiest-mo ... qus_thread

Do you backup your files currently? If not, get the Apple Time Capsule. I feel so much better that all my music is now backed up and if I can set it up, you should have no problems :mrgreen:
    pdalowsky wrote:

Two current issues: -

1. Itunes - i have imported my music from my old harddrive to the new one. All seemed fine except I have double the music, I have everything twice....only did this process once but i have two of all my songs. so a 12,000 song library is now a 24000 song one. I have googled this to see how to drop the duplication but seem to understand that this is a manual process :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So I either go through the entire lot and drop each song, or I scrub it and start again? or is there another option? My concern is that if i scrub the library - would i lose my playlists? I have hundreds and they took me months to sort out years ago......I couldnt face doing that again.

2. My photos are imported. What a damn mess. I had them all nicely arranged on my PC. For example a folder for my son Edward, and many sub folders for each year and then sub folders within those sub folders for certain events.

following the import I have just thousands of unorganised events. the import lost all the organisation.

Is there a way of clearing that mess, and reimporting logically? Because im a nerd I have so many folders and sub folders so I could findsay week 5-8 of my sons progress very easily. Now its just all over the place. 21000 photos. jesus :o

Starting to wish I hadnt bothered, although i can see the machine is a dream. The operating system is so differnet to that of a windows pc - its gonna take some adjusting.

Is word for windows worth installing? necessary?

Thanks for any help you can offer :D

I'll check out the duplication issue when I get home and try to figue it out for you so don't start over yet!!

On the photo issues, I never used iPhoto. I hate that program... I just keep everything in folders in the "Pictures" folder. Then I can open everything using "Preview". If I want to edit something I use Photoshop (i am a graphic designer) so I have no use for iPhoto.

As far as installing Windows, I've heard that they run better on a mac than on any PC, but i'm allergic to that OS so I wouldn't know. All I know is that I have "converted" several people from PC to Mac down the years, and they all thank me for it. As soon as you adjust to Mac OsX (a couple of weeks) you will have no doubts about it.

Here's a funny little shortcut that you can freak your friends out with if they have a mac. Press "ctrl + alt + cmd + 8" at the same time and all the colours on the screen are inverted, so it kinda looks like a broken screen. Press them again to undo!! :-)
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2905

Easy to get rid of dupes

Easy to get rid of dupes

that looks like a pretty solid solution straight from apple...
    dont forget to hold the option key to get the exact duplicates... I'm guessing you have hundreds of versions of a song due to all the boots, so that will help you pinpoint the correct dupes...
  • bionicamybionicamy Posts: 424
    For the photo issue dont import them with iPhoto or other program simply drag your folder over from your flash drive or whatever you're transfreing from and drop the file / files to the new location you choose photos desktop....

All you photos will remain organized. Well should remain :D
    Hope that helps
    “This is a ah another request fulfillment. If none of the other of you like it at least one guy does. Actually it’s a girl, she’s right back there.”
    SMILE Eddie Vedder Cleveland 06.....

Easy to get rid of dupes

Had found this via a google search

but manually deleting 12000 songs would be a bitch.....and it would delete all named 'even flows' despite the 'accurate duplicaiton' thing.....

Apple have run a script on this today for me which cleared the dupes instantly.....clever stuff

iphoto is a ballache though

thinking the desktop idea will be best :D