@#$%! Allergies!

LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Ugh this is the worst allergy season ever! I've already had 3 sinus infections and although it's beautiful out, I can't even step outside without getting an instant sinus headache and the lump-in-throat sensation :fp: I've tried Claritin then was told to take Mucinex by my doctor. Had my ears flushed out. Nothing works! I'm actually excited that it's supposed to rain all week here...I'll get some relief! Anyone else having a "wonderful" allergy season? Any good remedies?
"Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    aren't sinus infections a bacteria issue?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Ugh this is the worst allergy season ever! I've already had 3 sinus infections and although it's beautiful out, I can't even step outside without getting an instant sinus headache and the lump-in-throat sensation :fp: I've tried Claritin then was told to take Mucinex by my doctor. Had my ears flushed out. Nothing works! I'm actually excited that it's supposed to rain all week here...I'll get some relief! Anyone else having a "wonderful" allergy season? Any good remedies?

Same here on the west coast. Terrible! I think it's a Kleenex conspiracy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    Yeah. My doctor said allergies can be a factor because of the post-nasal drip/excess mucus (YUM!) and the sinuses continuously becoming inflamed.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    brianlux wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

Same here on the west coast. Terrible! I think it's a Kleenex conspiracy!
    Kleenex, Claritin/Zyrtec, etc conspiracy! And Advil has gotten a lot of my money lol
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    I'm with you 100%, LiLiNY81! I've tried everything. Usually the only thing that works for me is Benadryl, which knocks me out, but even that doesn't work right now. It actually feels like I have asthma this year as i'm having trouble breathing, which I don't have usually. A few years ago, I got 2 sinus infections in one allergy season, which leads to antibiotics, which can lead to "female issues." Good Times! Have you had trouble sleeping? I can't sleep! This year is the worst! :evil:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Luckily I outgrew most of my allergies, but my 5-year-old has them. He looks and feels just like I used to growing up.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,694
    I'm with you 100%, LiLiNY81! I've tried everything. Usually the only thing that works for me is Benadryl, which knocks me out, but even that doesn't work right now. It actually feels like I have asthma this year as i'm having trouble breathing, which I don't have usually. A few years ago, I got 2 sinus infections in one allergy season, which leads to antibiotics, which can lead to "female issues." Good Times! Have you had trouble sleeping? I can't sleep! This year is the worst! :evil:

My chiropractor suggest melatonin for sleep. He told me not to take it long term- just a week or two to "train" my brain to produce more of its own naturally. I've taken 2 1/2 mg's a few times and so far... :thumbup:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    Yeah. My doctor said allergies can be a factor because of the post-nasal drip/excess mucus (YUM!) and the sinuses continuously becoming inflamed.

Have you ever tried singular? I never really took much allergy medicine because it never really helped and I didn't like the side-effects of anti-histamines...I also had to deal with a lot of the post-nasal drip/excess mucus crap...to the point where i was coughing up a lung every morning...good times...anyway, my asthma dr. prescribed me singular (also supposed help w/ asthma) and it has helped enormously...I'm pretty much allergic to everything (indoors/outdoors) and I use to go through boxes of Kleenex each week (no exaggeration)...the singular has pretty much made that go away. I still get a runny nose sometimes....but it really has cut down my snottiness down by about 95%.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    afroannnie wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

Have you ever tried singular? I never really took much allergy medicine because it never really helped and I didn't like the side-effects of anti-histamines...I also had to deal with a lot of the post-nasal drip/excess mucus crap...to the point where i was coughing up a lung every morning...good times...anyway, my asthma dr. prescribed me singular (also supposed help w/ asthma) and it has helped enormously...I'm pretty much allergic to everything (indoors/outdoors) and I use to go through boxes of Kleenex each week (no exaggeration)...the singular has pretty much made that go away. I still get a runny nose sometimes....but it really has cut down my snottiness down by about 95%.
    See the thing is, I don't have the excessive sneezing, runny nose or congestion at all (a little stuffy when I first wake up, but usually goes away once I'm done with the shower). Just a lot of sinus pressure, post-nasal drip and sometimes my eyes swell up a bit. I've been told to try a nettipot? The process of that sounds quite interesting :lol:

And CurlyGirly, I haven't had trouble with sleep at all (knock on wood). By the end of the day I'm so drained and tired from work, I'm out by like 10:30 or 11.

I just developed allergies maybe 3 years ago...WOMP.
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    See the thing is, I don't have the excessive sneezing, runny nose or congestion at all (a little stuffy when I first wake up, but usually goes away once I'm done with the shower). Just a lot of sinus pressure, post-nasal drip and sometimes my eyes swell up a bit. I've been told to try a nettipot? The process of that sounds quite interesting :lol:

And CurlyGirly, I haven't had trouble with sleep at all (knock on wood). By the end of the day I'm so drained and tired from work, I'm out by like 10:30 or 11.

I've actually just recently tried the neti pot....definitely interesting, but it does feel good after...and helps clear "things" out. Not sure how much it helps with pressure. It's worth trying...just follow the directions and make sure you tilt your head right so it "flows" out right....
    afroannnie wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

I've actually just recently tried the neti pot....definitely interesting, but it does feel good after...and helps clear "things" out. Not sure how much it helps with pressure. It's worth trying...just follow the directions and make sure you tilt your head right so it "flows" out right....
    I'm gonna try that next. To me, it sounds like a nose enema :P
    I've always been afraid to try it, but I bet it feels amazing, if not gross :lol: I can't use any of the nose medicines, like flonase, etc. I just can't put things in my nose.
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

I'm gonna try that next. To me, it sounds like a nose enema :P

:lol::lol: that's a pretty good description...
    I've always been afraid to try it, but I bet it feels amazing, if not gross :lol: I can't use any of the nose medicines, like flonase, etc. I just can't put things in my nose.

it's weird...plus it's awkward because you have to tilt your head perfectly while keeping your mouth open...it's a pretty sight... :lol::lol:
    That's my whole thing, I can't shoot things up my nose. The doc would always tell me to use Flonase or Nasonex or some saline spray along with allergy medicines. Couldn't do it lol. But I'll try the neti pot. If for nothing else, it could be an entertaining adventure...as most things are that I try :P
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    That's my whole thing, I can't shoot things up my nose. The doc would always tell me to use Flonase or Nasonex or some saline spray along with allergy medicines. Couldn't do it lol. But I'll try the neti pot. If for nothing else, it could be an entertaining adventure...as most things are that I try :P

I should probably give it a try too. This will definitely be a gross adventure! :)
    Ok seriously, I was just typing "neti pot" into google, and the text finisher thing pops up with "neti pot death" :? :lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Ok seriously, I was just typing "neti pot" into google, and the text finisher thing pops up with "neti pot death" :? :lol:

:lol:

they probably didn't tilt their head right... :nono:
    afroannnie wrote:

they probably didn't tilt their head right... :nono:

:lol: :?
  • kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    I use Aerius for my allergies usually does the trick. Like Zyrtec but in Canada, it's by prescription only so I usually go to the State where it's OTC.
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149

Brain eating amoebas from tap water
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    good times.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,429
    perfect weather this weekend in philly...but destroyed me because of allergies. i fucking hate it. spring and fall are just terrible times for me. april-may, sept-oct are just awful for about 75% of the days. can't really get a break from it. i take Allegra everyday and when nose runs bad use Nasalcroom spray to combat it.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Many allergies traced to milk products...check the protein intake you maybe eating and drinking.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/m ... airy-.html

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Many allergies traced to milk products...check the protein intake you maybe eating and drinking.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/m ... airy-.html

Peace
    Hmm this looks like it's more for people who have milk allergies. As far as I know, I don't.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Shots.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    I've never had allergies like this year!! I can't breathe through my nose at all if I don't take Claritin_D. I sometimes augment this with Afrin severe decongestant nasal spray. The weird thing is I had these bad allergies not only here at home in Oxnard, but in Portland, Seattle, and Philadelphia. So, whatever it is that is making me and my nose crazy is everywhere. Thank goodness for the miracles of modern medicine!!

I hope everyone can find relief somehow!!

Cheers,
    Barger
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • I agree, it has been bad for a few weeks
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,429
    BinFrog wrote:
    Shots.

i'd do tequila for my allergies but i don't think my co-workers would appreciate it much :D
    pjhawks wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Shots.

i'd do tequila for my allergies but i don't think my co-workers would appreciate it much :D
    Actually believe it or not, Cinnamon Schnapps works to really clear the sinuses. My dad had me take a shot once when I had a bad cold. Worked like a charm. Alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems ;)