Quitting smoking today...

pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Well, gonna try to stop smoking again. I'd tried once before about 10yrs ago...Didn't take. Any Advice/Tips?
aqo2t.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    pjradio wrote:
    Well, gonna try to stop smoking again. I'd tried once before about 10yrs ago...Didn't take. Any Advice/Tips?

Buy a lot of jolly rangers. Lol. Good luck. I've tried to quit chewing tobacco several times. Hang in there.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,683
    Good luck
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • stipe19stipe19 Posts: 237
    Read The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Best of luck! I quit for two years before starting again last year. I've been getting ready to quit again for a while, and you know what, I'll join you. No day like today, eh? Good luck, it's not easy, but it us totally worth it.
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Good luck to you.... I have no advice to give you but your body will thank you... :thumbup:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Posts: 1,872
    Me neither, but good for you and good luck!
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Good luck!! You CAN do it!
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    When I quit something in the past my trivck was don't deny yourself from having it in your possession. What I mean is keep a pack with you but make a choice not to smoke them. If you don't have them with you your mind will be preoccupied with not having them. I used this method to quit tobacco years ago and it really worked for me. Good luck.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    thx guys!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Do not think of your last quitting attempt as failure, think of it as practice. Most people have 7 to 10 attempts before they are successful.

When a craving comes try the 4 D's
    DELAY : most cravings pass in 3 to 5 minutes

DEEP BREATHE

DISTRACT : do something else with your hands

DRINK WATER : water flushes out nicotine and other toxins from your body

Avoid coffee/sugar/alcohol. These substances can trigger cravings :nono:

Work on developing a healthy lifestyle. Lifestyle changes can take 3 to 5 months to become routine. :thumbup:

Be prepared for withdrawal symptoms : insomnia,nausea,anxiety, and irritability. These will diminish over a month. :wtf:
    Seek help from others.
    WHO/WHAT/WHERE Think of who you were with, what you were thinking and doing, where you were when you have smoked in the past. You have to make modifications.

Have resolve, hold steadfast and firm towards this goal despite obstacles. :clap:

This maybe one of the most important decisions of your life.
    Do not think of your last quitting attempt as failure, think of it as practice. Most people have 7 to 10 attempts before they are successful.

DEEP BREATHE

Work on developing a healthy lifestyle. Lifestyle changes can take 3 to 5 months to become routine. :thumbup:

Be prepared for withdrawal symptoms : insomnia,nausea,anxiety, and irritability. These will diminish over a month. :wtf:
    Seek help from others.
    WHO/WHAT/WHERE Think of who you were with, what you were thinking and doing, where you were when you have smoked in the past. You have to make modifications.

Have resolve, hold steadfast and firm towards this goal despite obstacles. :clap:

thx....gonna go print this out!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,875
    pjradio wrote:
    Do not think of your last quitting attempt as failure, think of it as practice. Most people have 7 to 10 attempts before they are successful.

DEEP BREATHE

Seek help from others.

thx....gonna go print this out!
    Chantix worked for me. 9 months this past tuesday. Its a hit or miss kind of drug. it either works for you or it doesnt due to the side effects. It is expensive though. My insurance didnt cover it. But there is a manufacturer program that can reduce the cost at a minimum. Walmart seems to have it the cheapest. Your state should have some sort of quit line to call for encouragement .
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    get the patch
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • perfectlefts14perfectlefts14 Posts: 2,023
    First off, good luck. Secondly, have you thought trying to quit by using an e-cigarette? Check out there website, it might be worth a try.
    http://www.e-cig.com/
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    good luck!
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Good luck!!!! And think of my mother. If she'd stopped smoking, she probably wouldn't have died in 1995. She died at 70, when all the non-smoking women in her family lived into their 90's, so you are also doing a good thing for your loved ones who would miss you as I miss my mother.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    Just distract yourself. Instead of reaching for a smoke find a different "habit" to do with your hands and your mouth. A toothpick or lollipop. That sort of thing. If you go to the same place everyday like after lunch to smoke, don't go there! I found that once you get over the hump it really fades fast. The hump being a few weeks at least.
    Your body will respond quickly to being more healthy. Once your cravings go away your taste & smell increase, you sleep more deeply and your lungs will feel a hell of a lot better.

I smoked a long time and I loved to smoke. I have dreams of me smoking, I can feel it go in my lungs and I can feel the stress leave my body with the exhale. I swear it's so real I wake up sometimes and think I can't believe I smoked last night!

I do allow myself a few small cigars a year. Maybe 2 or 3 in the summer, please a girl has to live a little :P
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    get a punching bag :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Quiting 4 years ago was easy ...i just started smoking more greens when i had a craving. Greatest method to quit. F the patch and gum.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    Just distract yourself. Instead of reaching for a smoke find a different "habit" to do with your hands and your mouth. A toothpick or lollipop. That sort of thing. If you go to the same place everyday like after lunch to smoke, don't go there! I found that once you get over the hump it really fades fast. The hump being a few weeks at least.
    Your body will respond quickly to being more healthy. Once your cravings go away your taste & smell increase, you sleep more deeply and your lungs will feel a hell of a lot better.

I smoked a long time and I loved to smoke. I have dreams of me smoking, I can feel it go in my lungs and I can feel the stress leave my body with the exhale. I swear it's so real I wake up sometimes and think I can't believe I smoked last night!

I do allow myself a few small cigars a year. Maybe 2 or 3 in the summer, please a girl has to live a little :P
    Interesting points here. I've never been a smoker but my husband was. When he finally quit, he chewed bubble gum. For several months he chewed it all the time so I used to joke that he traded one habit for another. He also became a serious connoisseur of bubble gum! :lol:

And man, was he a grouch for a the first few weeks. But I was really happy he quit.

Your dreams about smoking reminded me of all this. For years, he would have dreams about smoking. He said they were very vivid and made smoking very appealing.

To the OP, you can do this! :thumbup:
    After a couple of early attempts my husband quit for good in 1983. I barely remember him as a smoker.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Good Luck :thumbup:
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    I found that once you get over the hump it really fades fast. The hump being a few weeks at least.

I hear about this "hump" all the time...the most worrisome part is climbing that Hump apparently...the down-slope is not as tough
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    It took a heart attack to make it stick.. Don't wait for that:.: Just use the patch and save the cost of cigs for something you love
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    It took a heart attack to make it stick.. Don't wait for that:.: Just use the patch and save the cost of cigs for something you love

Wise man speaks wise words...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    pjradio wrote:
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    I found that once you get over the hump it really fades fast. The hump being a few weeks at least.

I hear about this "hump" all the time...the most worrisome part is climbing that Hump apparently...the down-slope is not as tough

the hump is nothing compared to the rest of your life...you can do it!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    Use the patch! It helps with the withdrawal symptoms which can be a real bitch. Take up a healthy habit like walking or running. I found that even though I had quit smoking I would still indulge on occasion - usually when I would be out drinking but once I started running even that occasional smoke would make me really ill. I tried and quit several times and it finally stuck this time so you can do it - good luck!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I had 11 months smoke free, until a seriously stressful event about 4 months ago. I'm not ready to give it up right now. I will saw that distraction worked well. If you can resist the urge for several minutes, you do forget. Good luck!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    good luck to you and thank you - one less person contributing to second hand smoke for us non-smokers. and your body will thank you too. :D
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    pjradio wrote:

Think of the inevitable horrible death via cancer you are saving yourself from. Good luck.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • twisted thoughtstwisted thoughts Posts: 4,377
    stipe19 wrote:
    Read The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

+1
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...