Your thoughts on working over-time....

2»

Comments

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    DS1119 wrote:
    I blame the teachers.

During teacher appreciation week? :lol:
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I do not get paid overtime. I put in extra hours when a huge project is nearing a deadline, or something urgent comes up. If it becomes routine, I suggest we need to hire a new person. I value my non-work time too much.

I rarely put in more than 40 hours a week. I work fast (faster than most), and always get my work in on time.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    edited May 2012
    BinFrog wrote:
    I do not get paid overtime. I put in extra hours when a huge project is nearing a deadline, or something urgent comes up. If it becomes routine, I suggest we need to hire a new person. I value my non-work time too much.

I rarely put in more than 40 hours a week. I work fast (faster than most), and always get my work in on time.

I'm in the same situation. It's rare that I have to work OT, but if it's needed, I don't have a problem with it. Life is too short to be working 60-70 hours per week.
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    BinFrog wrote:

this is pretty much how i feel. i don't mind doing it when it's needed but if it starts to fuck with my life then i will make sure the powers that be no it has to stop. and for me notice of needed extra time is fine, it's the unexpected ones that drive me crazy. if i know in 2 weeks we are going to be mad crazy i can adjust and make plans for the things in life i need to do to work around it. when it pops up in the middle of the day and i need to stay an extra few hours it's a pain in the ass and annoying and i start to resent it and this place.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    In my job, i work about 60 hour weeks and sometimes more. no overtime and get paid a salary.

I went thru a time where I was burning out (this time last year) .

my job is very busy and they really can't hire more people as we can't afford to do so i do what i feel. my boss tells me to go home when i am working late sometimes and it is never expected of me to work those hours but I do choose to work them.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    chadwick wrote:
    All day/every day, for the last gazillion years, I deal with these situations.
    And it amazes me how people who work in shipping and receiving, will act as if I have just asked them to cut off their ears, and pin them to their forehead.....If I ask them to take 5-10 minutes to load my truck before they take their precious break or lunch.

welcome to your 95th year as a truck driver extraordinaire. everyone else in the country is sitting on the back deck grilling burgers, weiners and slammin down cold ones like no tomorrow except for you, the truck drivers of north america. truckers are the hardest working fuckers in the universe. you are almost a navy seal you are so brutal. only a navy seal and a truck driver can stay awake for days at a time and get the job done whilst soo tired and everyone at the warehouses and factories crys and complains about working a saturday or working over 8 hrs a day, staying till 6 to unload or load a truck that's been driving the last 18 hrs strait just to get to the place of shiftless and lazy bullshit.

:lol: You left off the part where we all assume the burgers, weiners and cold ones are delivered to our preferred place of purchase by magic carpet......
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    With regard to breaks and working through them, the Health and Safety Executive say that you should have breaks after a certain period of time. Truck drivers over here also regulations re breaks/driving time.

Personally, I think that whether you can do overtime varies on personal circumstances ie whether you have prior committments/family/pets or whatever. The expectation that you should do overtime should not be a given. Notice should be given and full consultation with staff should be undertaken.

In the case of the job that I do, we often have to work through breaks as we don't have enough appointments available for high risk patients that need ulcer dressings or similar. It's not ideal but sometimes it has to be done. With regard to working extra hours, everybody where I work does it sometimes, but it is dependant on circumstances. If for instance someone has a young child and they are the primary carer, allowances have to be made. Also a persons physical conditions need taking into account, I work with someone who has rheumatoid arthritis, he is limited to the hours he is physically able to work. Also certain tasks have a repetitive nature, extended hours can increase the liklihood of RSI, if your employer makes it awkward not to do overtime and then you develop RSI, they can be liable.

I think it's ever so complicated.

I'm a member of 2 unions.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,891
    question for you there speedy.

In those situations are YOU still considered on the clock and earning your hourly pay?

being a regional OTR driver , as you know, until the delay reaches 2 hours we dont get any pay. on while those wheels are turning.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    most cases (like my last job) I was forced to work OT

I wasn't happy about 'finishing up' someone else's work because they "were supposed to be off at 2pm and now it's 3PM, nevermind that I took a 2½ hour lunch" :roll:

and due to idiotic scheduling, I had to work 90 hours in a week for 2 weeks. Training on top of my regular shift, so I was basically working a double shift, and still only got one half hour lunch and 2-15 minute breaks for every 16 hour day I worked.

only benefit I see to having kids is an excuse to get out of work"oh sorry I'm late, had to drop the kid off at daycare" "oh sorry, the place closes at 5, so I have to leave early"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    As a small business owner, my hours are crazy. I do what has to be done, when it needs to be done, and put out whatever fires I need. (For example today I was cleaning blood from the carpet at my fitness center because a lady tripped over HER OWN stuff, and fell, and the corner of her glasses clipped her near the eyebrow, but that's another story, however it all ended well). When I've worked for someone else in the past, I've done overtime, and didn't mind because I got paid. I like to earn, and like time and a half, so it isn't a problem to work some extra. If I needed to delay a break by a few minutes it wouldn't be a big deal as long as I got it. I guess it is harder when you have some previous engagement after work, or have to get your kids from daycare or something like that.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I usually work 65-75 hours a week and I can't remember the last time I took a lunch. My boss doesn't ask me to do it, it's just what needs to be done to do my job. And I love my job :)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,437
    mickeyrat wrote:

In those situations are YOU still considered on the clock and earning your hourly pay?

being a regional OTR driver , as you know, until the delay reaches 2 hours we dont get any pay. on while those wheels are turning.
    I am hourly...
    I get paid no matter what...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I'm salary and work various hours. Sometimes I might work 30, and others it's 60+.
    I used to work OT at my old job and I often would work on the weekends, it suuuuucked!! Got time and a half, but it wasn't worth it!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,891
    mickeyrat wrote:

I am hourly...
    I get paid no matter what...
    so just venting a bit? I realize pay wise it doesnt matter, But I'm guessing your beef is the rest of your work day that gets pushed back because of these actions by S/R.. (btw that stands for shipping and receiving hehehehehe)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I have been working seven , seven, seven to eleven , eleven , eleven, makes life such a drag. :cry: