Your thoughts on working over-time....

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,437
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
If the boss/owner/person in charge asks you to stay a few extra hours, to finish the task at hand....

Do you have a problem with that?

If the boss asks you to work through your break....

How much over-time is too much?

If the boss asks you to work through your lunch, or just take a 5-10 minute lunch, and then get back to work......

Just curious...
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i don't get a lunch break ..what is it ?
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    When I worked at Electronic Arts as a video game tester I worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for the first month I was there to push Madden 07 Wii out the door. The pay was great because of this. Some days we worked 16 hours, others worked 24 hours when they were on Skate.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I am fortunate enough to have a great boss. She never says I want you to work late or extra, but instead will let me know when something is top priority and needs to be done by a certain time. It is then understood that I will do what it takes to get it done and that might include working late, or more likely, taking it home and working overnight or over the weekend. So basically she leaves it up to me to figure out how and when to get it done.
    It doesnt happen too often but if there is something that kept me up all night, when its finished, she says go home.
    she is also very flexible about leaving early for me to attend my kids' events and things like that.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    voidofman wrote:
    When I worked at Electronic Arts as a video game tester I worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for the first month I was there to push Madden 07 Wii out the door. The pay was great because of this. Some days we worked 16 hours, others worked 24 hours when they were on Skate.

gotta be tough playing video games all day. :lol::lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
    If the boss/owner/person in charge asks you to stay a few extra hours, to finish the task at hand....

If the boss asks you to work through your lunch, or just take a 5-10 minute lunch, and then get back to work......

Just curious...

IF the boss and company we work for have been more than just a job, and I truly care about them I will do what I have to to help out the company. IF the boss has been nothing but a dick the entire time I've worked at the company and I could care less about the company, than I say fuck him. You gotta give some to get some.....I've been employed in both situations....
    when i was younger and hourly, i wanted all the hours i could get. 60+ hour weeks were fine with me.

now that i am salary, 40 is fine. :lol: every now and then i have to stay late, and maybe once a year i come in on the weekend. no biggie.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Just curious...

id have no problem finishing the task at hand so long as i saw i could finish it within a reasonable timeframe.

i would not work through my break at any ones behest. breaks are there for a reason.

i would be needing 24 hour notice to work any overtime that exceeded an hour

i expect to be compensated for any overtime exceeding an hour.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    81 wrote:
    voidofman wrote:

gotta be tough playing video games all day. :lol::lol:

In a way it was because we were finding glitches and crashes, most of the other employees hated it because they literally thought it was fun and games, lol. I like trying to break games and finding problems so I liked that job. A lot of the times the code wasn't written for certain parts so it was blocked off and was frustrating for others. Plus trying to duplicate a crash you did.

The funniest game crash I found was in Madden 07, in player editor, I put an afro on a white guy, game crash. :lol:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    being in Airforce overtime is something happens so often..+the 4 days per month that work 27th hours shift in the row..i m use to it..is the nature of the job,if something wrong with an aircraft cant wait till tomorrow ..need to be done right now,so overtime is something happens alot..
    the only bad thing is we dont get paid extra for those hours..but this is how things are..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Depends on the manager. If they're a douche, no. If they're a good manager that get's their shit done. Yes.

Also depends on the type of year for me. During the months of January through June, I'm pulling in at least 45-60 hrs a week.

Once July hits, I'm "working" 40 hours. kind of even's itself out.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,437

id have no problem finishing the task at hand so long as i saw i could finish it within a reasonable timeframe.

i would not work through my break at any ones behest. breaks are there for a reason.

Ok...

So if you work in a warehouse, and lets say you are getting freight ready to ship. The truck is there to pick up the freight, and the freight was supposed to have been ready to ship 2 hrs ago. The boss walks in the room and asks you to give up your break, and finish wrapping skids and loading the truck. You are telling me that there is NO WAY you are working through your 10-15 minute break?

Or...

I show up at your warehouse at 11:55. I am there to pick up 3 skids of freight, that will take about 10-15 minutes to load on my truck. You on the other hand are supposed to go to lunch at 12:00. What do you do?

Do you give up 10 minutes of lunh, load my truck, and send me on my merry way?

Or do you say "Im going to lunch, you will have to wait an hour"????
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Ok...

So if you work in a warehouse, and lets say you are getting freight ready to ship. The truck is there to pick up the freight, and the freight was supposed to have been ready to ship 2 hrs ago. The boss walks in the room and asks you to give up your break, and finish wrapping skids and loading the truck. You are telling me that there is NO WAY you are working through your 10-15 minute break?

Or...

I show up at your warehouse at 11:55. I am there to pick up 3 skids of freight, that will take about 10-15 minutes to load on my truck. You on the other hand are supposed to go to lunch at 12:00. What do you do?

yes id do what needed to be done to get the truck loaded and on its way THEN id take my break. you werent so specific before.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Ok...

Or...

yes id do what needed to be done to get the truck loaded and on its way THEN id take my break. you werent so specific before.
    All day/every day, for the last gazillion years, I deal with these situations.
    And it amazes me how people who work in shipping and receiving, will act as if I have just asked them to cut off their ears, and pin them to their forehead.....If I ask them to take 5-10 minutes to load my truck before they take their precious break or lunch.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157

Just curious...

:evil: like you i drove trucks for a living. end of story :evil:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

All Day/Every Day.....Ill have 20 pick-ups/deliveries to make, covering 150-200 miles...

All I hear...All day/Every day...

Im on lunch
    Im on break
    Im going to lunch
    Im going to break
    You are late
    You are early
    Im going on break in 5 minutes...so you have to wait a half hour
    Im going to lunch...You have to wait....
    All Day/ Every Day....
    All day/every day, for the last gazillion years, I deal with these situations.
    And it amazes me how people who work in shipping and receiving, will act as if I have just asked them to cut off their ears, and pin them to their forehead.....If I ask them to take 5-10 minutes to load my truck before they take their precious break or lunch.

welcome to your 95th year as a truck driver extraordinaire. everyone else in the country is sitting on the back deck grilling burgers, weiners and slammin down cold ones like no tomorrow except for you, the truck drivers of north america. truckers are the hardest working fuckers in the universe. you are almost a navy seal you are so brutal. only a navy seal and a truck driver can stay awake for days at a time and get the job done whilst soo tired and everyone at the warehouses and factories crys and complains about working a saturday or working over 8 hrs a day, staying till 6 to unload or load a truck that's been driving the last 18 hrs strait just to get to the place of shiftless and lazy bullshit.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

All Day/Every Day.....Ill have 20 pick-ups/deliveries to make, covering 150-200 miles...

All I hear...All day/Every day...

Im on lunch
    Im on break
    Im going to lunch
    Im going to break
    You are late
    You are early
    Im going on break in 5 minutes...so you have to wait a half hour
    Im going to lunch...You have to wait....
    All Day/ Every Day....
    you are badass.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    i want to be speedy mccready's co-driver

or husband :lol:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    99% of the people on this planet...
    Would wear a diaper...
    If they had to deal with what an Over the road truck driver has to deal with...On a daily basis....
  • Check the worker rights laws in your state.
    Sounds like your getting fucked over pretty good.
    Your break is YOUR BREAK and your lunch is YOUR LUNCH.
    GO UNION !!!
    Employers know the job market is tough and can take advantage.
    Develop trade skills and become self employed.
    Continue education and find a career. (wait until congress sorts out the tuition mess)
    What ever you do, do not be a mute , spineless, ass kisser.
    The past 2 decades, employees have been chewed up like a stick of gum and spit out on the street corner.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    chadwick wrote:
    i want to be speedy mccready's co-driver
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

Ok...

Or...

i see the problem...unions
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    chadwick wrote:
    :o:o:o:lol::lol::lol:

I worked in a shipping/receiving dept before. And let me tell you....it was work. There would be days I loved you truck drivers...and then there were days that I cursed you guys up a storm :shock:

But in the end, the shit has to get done. Trucks loaded, skids wrapped, stuff to get to sea. You do what you have to do.

Now, if you said you were to be at my docks at 10 am to get loaded and you show up at 11:55 demanding your truck loaded with my shit and you're a dick about it....you bet your ass you''ll be waiting until I'm done and back from lunch. But if you're nice and apologize for being late and you called and told me you'll be late, then I'll load you up. It's all about courtesy.
    81 wrote:

Serious question...
    Would appreciate a serious answer...hehehe

What is your view on Unions?
    For/Against?
    Reasons?
    99% of the people on this planet...
    Would wear a diaper...
    If they had to deal with what an Over the road truck driver has to deal with...On a daily basis....
    that is a fact. i am proud of almost every single truck driver i see out there on the road. i had to move on from that life. it literally was killin me and i miss it every single day. it is a love hate relationship.

let's talk filthy men's rooms when you really really gotta do a deuce

speedy mccredy is a fucking badass.

yes 99% of the people in this planet would not make it. i would be as bold to say, other countries have tougher ppl who have struggled their entire lives. soft ass american bullshit no solid work ethic fuckers would crumble and weep like children

office people....office folks in the transporting business can kiss a solid driver's frickin rear end
    they are the worst and i still want to throttle a few of them. when i made my daily call ins, i am sure i put more than one stupid prick in their place and in a hurry. i was the greatest truck driver in the world :twisted:

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    81 wrote:

Serious question...
    Would appreciate a serious answer...hehehe

What is your view on Unions?
    For/Against?
    Reasons?

serious??? ,me??? :lol::lol::lol:

They have their place, but they have to much power.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

I will respond to this in about 20 minutes...
    But 1st I am going to take a break....

hehehe
    81 wrote:

hehehe

see..... :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

hehehe

see..... :lol:

I would reply but I have a thing I gotta do. See ya later.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I blame the teachers.