We're your parents "bad parents"?

2»

Comments

• JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    DewieCox wrote:
    My dad was never much of a cook, but there are a few that take the cake for most awful. Shepard's pie with cubes potatoes, sweet corn and ground beef. That was pretty bad, but another time, being out of charcoal lighter fluid he used regular gas to light the grill. Then 1)didn't tell us and 2) tried to act like we were babies for not wanting to eat it. Dunno how many of you have ever tasted gasoline, but imagine that in meat form and you'll have a pretty good idea what that meal was like.

Oh, the one thing he was best at, polish sausage and sauerkraut would stink up the house all day and the fridge for a few days til he could finish it off.

yumm, nothing like a gasoline burger! :fp:

Sorry abuot that Dewie!
    My folks actually fed me pretty well, but I somehow started a habit of having two donuts and a huge coke a cola every morning for breakfast...but I never did injest gasoline..thats just terrible. :shock:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    and i think being a parent is the most fuckin difficult job..

very true - it is extremely frustrating. I am always worried that I am not doing the best
    Try step parenting;
    all the attitude + angst,
    but none of that "love" stuff
    to get in the way of a truly
    dysfunctional relationship.
    It's like a freakin' Hallmark card!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Lately several people have commented to me that it may not have been the best parenting for my folks to allow my siblings and I have full cable complete with HBO (back when they still showed a lot of "questionable" movies late night) Cinemax (aka Skinemax) and The Movie Channel, in our bedrooms.

I'll never forget one time when I was like 8 or 9, and one of my brothers was 13 and having a sleepover for his birthday. I had a few friends over and he had like 10 or so friends over. My parents were asleep and we were all in the den watching some movie. I can't remember the name, but it was one of those 80's nudie sex comedies, some sort of Spring Break tittie-fest movie. Anyways, my dad wakes up and walks in on about 15 kids between the ages of 8 and 13 watching titties bouncing around and people having sex.

My dad: "OK, you can watch it, but nobody tell your parents"

15 Kids: "YAAAAAYYYY!!!!"

I think the older kids actually wanted to see the breasts. Us younger kids were probably just psyched over getting to watch something we knew we weren't supposed to be watching.

I call it awesome parenting, but somebody would probably call CPS on him these days for it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    My Dad used to let me drive when I was 6 or 7. He would sit me on his lap and let me steer. In today's world that would probably get him a segment on 60 Minutes and a facebook hate page. :lol:
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Loulou wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I was a latchkey kid since first grade...I was 6, stick my Swanson's TV dinner in the oven for an hour...yep, climbing on a step stool to take a piping hot TV dinner out of the oven...I don't know how I never fell off. Swanson's TV dinners, Mork and Mindy, and WKRP on the tube until someone came home.

I also sliced open my palm with a utility knife (the meaty part right below your thumb)...all the way down to the bone, I was given a band-aid and told to shut the hell up. I was probably 7.
    :( apart from the cut hand, my upbringing was very similar. Spent alot of time alone, I don't hold any grudges but would have liked more company. I think they both feel guilty now though are trying to make it up.

ah, company would have been nice but now I prefer to be home alone. I actually get cranky if I don't get any 'me' time after about 3 days. :lol:
    Isn't that funny!!! I am exactly the same now. I used to crave company as a child but I LOVE my alone time now, you could even really call me quite anti-social. Think maybe we both adapted to life being that way. ;)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    I would walk across my small town as a 7 or 8 year old to the gas station and buy my dad cigarettes. Then I had to carry a note saying the cigarettes were for my dad, not me. Then they stopped selling them to me. Like they thought I was smoking them. :lol:

And my moms best line was "go get me a switch, and it better be a good one" I don't think parent can do that much anymore.

But they should.