We're your parents "bad parents"?

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
edited May 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Recent news stories make me think back on how I was raised. Did your parents do things that would make the news today?

Every year on the 4th of July, my family would celebrate at our family cabin on the lake. My cousins and I and most of our friends always had our own stash of fireworks. My dad always got tired of me taking his lighter so he would give me lit cigarettes to use for my fireworks! I had to keep puffing on em to keep my fuses lit!

Anyone elses dear old dad top that one!!!?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Anyone elses dear old dad top that one!!!?

when i was 3 my dad and i went to a football game...he gave me a sip of his beer...he started talking to the people around us and forgot i had the beer...i drank the whole thing

when i was 8, i got a ringtop stuck on my finger and couldn't get it off...it started to cutoff circulation...by the time i got home i was shivering (probably in a little shock) so my dad gave me something to warm me up...not knowing what it was i drank the entire shot of brandy

there are probably others but it would require years of psychotherapy to bring up repressed memories
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    My parents are pretty awesome. I'm sure my dad would be arrested for this today if he did it: to teach us how to swim, he'd take our floaties off of our arms and throw us in the deep end of the pool.

And I'm pretty sure we were left home alone at what would be considered "too young" today...10 & 11 years old.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I was a latchkey kid since first grade...I was 6, stick my Swanson's TV dinner in the oven for an hour...yep, climbing on a step stool to take a piping hot TV dinner out of the oven...I don't know how I never fell off. Swanson's TV dinners, Mork and Mindy, and WKRP on the tube until someone came home.

I also sliced open my palm with a utility knife (the meaty part right below your thumb)...all the way down to the bone, I was given a band-aid and told to shut the hell up. I was probably 7.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    RKCNDY wrote:
    I was a latchkey kid since first grade...I was 6, stick my Swanson's TV dinner in the oven for an hour...yep, climbing on a step stool to take a piping hot TV dinner out of the oven...I don't know how I never fell off. Swanson's TV dinners, Mork and Mindy, and WKRP on the tube until someone came home.

I also sliced open my palm with a utility knife (the meaty part right below your thumb)...all the way down to the bone, I was given a band-aid and told to shut the hell up. I was probably 7.
    :( apart from the cut hand, my upbringing was very similar. Spent alot of time alone, I don't hold any grudges but would have liked more company. I think they both feel guilty now though are trying to make it up.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    My parents were pretty strict except for when we went on vacation for 3 weeks to the Cape every summer. They would let us roam all over P-Town alone and let me tell you, back in the 70's there was NOTHING like P-town. Drag Queen / Leather Chap city with people basically having sex in the streets. It was so awesome....It was like "what Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas" but on Cape Cod! They would hang with their friends and we just ran amuck! It was 3 weeks of heaven every year!

I had great parents.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    There are some cases of bad parenting seemingly these days though a lot it has to do with over usage of psychology & pharmaceutical for profit companies and of course the feminization of young boys.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    On my 18th birthday one of my dad's friend gave me a joint and said 'be careful, that joint will get 10 people high'. It did. Told my dad about it and he he said 'yeah, he always has the best stuff.' :D
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
    marcos wrote:
    There are some cases of bad parenting seemingly these days though a lot it has to do with over usage of psychology & pharmaceutical for profit companies and of course the feminization of young boys.

Huh?
    Loulou wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

:( apart from the cut hand, my upbringing was very similar. Spent alot of time alone, I don't hold any grudges but would have liked more company. I think they both feel guilty now though are trying to make it up.

ah, company would have been nice but now I prefer to be home alone. I actually get cranky if I don't get any 'me' time after about 3 days. :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    my 4 older sisters would team up and kick the shit out of me... my parents watched and said nothing :?
    conman wrote:
    my 4 older sisters would team up and kick the shit out of me... my parents watched and said nothing :?

I bet you could kick the shit out of them now Mr. "I can do a bazillion push-ups in 90 seconds"... :D

- Christopher McCandless
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    marcos wrote:

Huh?

It just seems that when some kids are disciplined using older methods, such as a simple spanking or such, they are called abused or all this bullying nonsense. Some of it is warranted of course but it's a case by case basis.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    RKCNDY wrote:
    conman wrote:

I bet you could kick the shit out of them now Mr. "I can do a bazillion push-ups in 90 seconds"... :D
    haha! they would still kick my ass because i wouldn't hit them back ;)
  • I think I have a pretty good one. (Although, I love my dad & he is the best father I could hope for, this was not his most shining moment.) And he never did anything like this again, especially after mom chewed him out.

He left me as collateral at a gas station when he forgot his wallet after pumping gas. This was like 1984.
    Love ain’t love until you give it up
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    My parents were amazing. Dad taught me to take responsibility for my actions, taught me the value of a dollar, and expected me to work hard to earn my keep.

The one time I made a poor choice (I took the family car cruising around the neighborhood before I got my license), he punished me by shutting off the electricity and the air conditioning vents to my bedroom for a week. :lol: I couldn't listen to any of my CDs and I was hot and miserable trying to sleep at night. I learned my lesson so quickly. :lol:
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    He left me as collateral at a gas station when he forgot his wallet after pumping gas. This was like 1984.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Yeah, we all laugh about it these days. My sister the most. It is almost too funny to be true.
    Love ain’t love until you give it up
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Hahaha! This is great.

I have the most awesome parents in the world, but of course they may have a few blurry moments.

One time when I was probably 6, my older sister 9, my dad was driving us home in his pick-up truck. We were only a few miles from home when he saw his "friend" running down the street. He yells to him "Yo John, hop in, I'll give you a ride home." This guy keeps refusing, and my dad keeps insisting. There is like a bench-type seat in the truck, with no back seat, so the three of us are already at max capacity. This guy finally gets in and we both have to practically sit on his lap. He was overweight and sweaty and really creepy. He tells my dad he's ready to get out and my dad insists on taking him all the way home. When he finally gets out, he says, "thanks man, and by the way, my name's Dennis." :lol::lol: We don't let him live that one down.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    edited May 2012
    LiLiNY81 wrote:
    And I'm pretty sure we were left home alone at what would be considered "too young" today...10 & 11 years old.

I started being left alone when I was 7. I was kinda scared shitless.

Mowing with a riding mower at around 5, with a dad that cut his toes off when he was around the same age.

My parents wouldn't take us to the hospital until we proved we needed it. Not fun to try to do little exercises with a broken thumb or collarbone.

Mom told me to be careful when she found out we were crossing a river using a beaver dam.

My dad would "kick my ass up between my shoulders" or just a flick to the head as a "spanking". I don't think he realized how hard he could flick.

My parents did a pretty good job overall, as I'm pretty fucking awesome. Dad gave me unreasonable anxiety and my mom gave me the ability to fly off the handle, the rest I feel pretty solid about.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    drivingrl wrote:
    My parents were amazing. Dad taught me to take responsibility for my actions, taught me the value of a dollar, and expected me to work hard to earn my keep.
    Yours sounds like mine was (and I'm thankful every day for those lessons :) )

I didn't go through near what some of you have.

I guess by today's standards, things like riding restraint-free in the back seat of the car with the dog in tow or my sister and I sleeping in the hatchback of our '72 Nova could seem irresponsible...but somehow - somehow! - we made it through OK.

My parents also had no problem serving us wine when we were younger (and I'm not talking Manichewitz on Rosh Hashana :mrgreen: ).

Responsibility tempered with indulgence...good way to (be taught to) live, I say.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    father - very very very bad
    mother - a wonderful christian woman with a double side of ignorance
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    after all this years i know a couple of things..
    my mom and my dad always try their best for me ans my sister,and love us nonstop...
    and is all that matters..and Thank them for that..
    and i feel i dont have the right to judge them if are good parents or not..
    from the moment im not a parent i dont have a clue how difficult job is to be a parents i dont have the right to judge them..
    and i think being a parent is the most fuckin difficult job..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    and i think being a parent is the most fuckin difficult job..

very true - it is extremely frustrating. I am always worried that I am not doing the best
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I was left alone to manage the house from elementary age
    my father not living in our home my mother a live in housekeeper for the wealthy
    Cudahy family. My sisters much older were out on their own.
    I don't think that would fly these days and it was kind of lonely.
    I was such a good kid too I think back could have gotten into some stuff.

Other than that I was loved and looked forward to party Friday nights
    when the music played, my parents cocktailed and Dad made wonderful food.

Come to think of it that sounds a lot like my life now :lol:
  • Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    eddiec wrote:
    On my 18th birthday one of my dad's friend gave me a joint and said 'be careful, that joint will get 10 people high'. It did. Told my dad about it and he he said 'yeah, he always has the best stuff.' :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I had a pretty good upbringing. There were five kids, so we didn’t have all new stuff all the time, but my parents stressed education and when the time came, they put all five of us through college.

That’s probably the best lesson a parent can give a child, the importance of an education.

We were raised with a good work ethic and we’re all decent people.

And I'm happy to say, they're still both with us, they're up there, but they're still here and relatively healthy. I'm very grateful for that.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I am always worried that I am not doing the best

no need to worry.....

cause you are not. :fp: :lol:

i kid
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    My Dad was all around pretty awesome, but a few questionable things were:

My Brother (3 years older than me) and I used to fight a lot. One day my Dad got sick of it and dragged us to the garage by our hair/ears and locked us in. Told us to fight it out. It was the worst beating I ever took. I think he banged my head against the little red wagon for about 7 minutes.

Another day I was being a little shit and I hit my Dad on the head with a pillow while he was eating dinner. He told me to stop, so I did it again. He held his steak knife up in the air as I hit downwards with the pillow. The knife went through the pillow and into my finger.

And the funniest one I can remember -- my Dad cooked me a hamburger and it had too much blood...what kid eats bloody burgers? I complained and wouldnt eat it...he said, "Oh too much juice for you?!" then he opened the glass sliding door, flipped out, and tried to throw the hamburger into the pool about 20 feet away. He missed the door and the burger hit the wall and stuck there for a second. When it fell to the floor, we all erupted in laughter. He was not amused.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
    My parents were definitely bad parents. I didn't realize how bad until I had a child of my own. Just a few examples I guess: They smoked pot since I can remember. And not, going outside smoking or hiding in the basement or garage. I mean in the house with me sitting right there breathing it. I don't ever remember a time not being around it. And then when I was 13 I got suspended from school for smoking pot and my dad kicked my ass(like, punching kicked my ass) and told me that I should know better.
    My dad also did alot of speed, which as you can imagine makes an already shitty person into a massively shitty person. I used to find speed pills all over my bedroom because that's where the clothes hamper was and they would fall out of his pocket.
    Also my mom took 2 of my cats(at different times in my childhood) and dumped them out in the middle of nowhere and told me that they ran away. One because it scratched the hood of her car with its claws when it jumped off, and the other because it was an unneutered male that sprayed all over everything. Each of them came back after being gone for months if not a year or more.

I could go on all day with stories, haha.
    Walking is still honest
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    And the funniest one I can remember -- my Dad cooked me a hamburger and it had too much blood...what kid eats bloody burgers? I complained and wouldnt eat it...he said, "Oh too much juice for you?!" then he opened the glass sliding door, flipped out, and tried to throw the hamburger into the pool about 20 feet away. He missed the door and the burger hit the wall and stuck there for a second. When it fell to the floor, we all erupted in laughter. He was not amused.

That's classic.

My dad was never much of a cook, but there are a few that take the cake for most awful. Shepard's pie with cubes potatoes, sweet corn and ground beef. That was pretty bad, but another time, being out of charcoal lighter fluid he used regular gas to light the grill. Then 1)didn't tell us and 2) tried to act like we were babies for not wanting to eat it. Dunno how many of you have ever tasted gasoline, but imagine that in meat form and you'll have a pretty good idea what that meal was like.

Oh, the one thing he was best at, polish sausage and sauerkraut would stink up the house all day and the fridge for a few days til he could finish it off.